Pokémon Venusaur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw yes the dreaded four moveslot syndrome. The bane of many a strong pokemon.

To get a bit off the topic, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Venusaur's other team members might be and who would be a good advantage for it, as well as what role on a team (weather or regular) it might have.
im playing around with different partners, right now though, Im using slowbro with him. mega Saur would attract setups and psychic attacks; slowbro can take the attacks and shrug em off with slack off; and cripple setups with Scald burn. In return saur is strong vs grass/electric and beefy enough to take special hits that slowbro cant.

Slowbro wins double pts for having such high def he cant really be hurt by pursuit; and when regenerator comes out he can just switch out whenever he wants.

Honestly I am tempted to run saur in a Rain team. Without relying on synthesis the rain would weaken fire even more n help his water team mates. (Any counters to say omastar swift swim shell smash is blocked by saur.) Idk tho :>

Last edited:
I'm really starting to be impressed by Mega Venusaur. Thick Fat removes Mega Venusaur's two biggest weaknesses, leaving only Psychic and Flying weaknesses (only the latter of which is common in OU), while its 80/123/120 defensive stats give it massive overall bulk and its typing gives it fantastic resistances to Water, Fighting, Electric, Grass and Fairy, plus an immunity to several status moves including Toxic, Spore, Sleep Powder and Stun Spore; it can even run Earthquake off its decent base 100 Attack to break down most fire and steel types, most notably Aegislash. Add in base 122 Special Attack, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb and Sleep Powder, as well as access to Leech Seed, and there are few Pokemon that can break down Mega Venusaur.

It's also one of the best checks to Protean Greninja, as it resists Water, takes neutral damage from Dark Pulse and Ice Beam (its most common non-water attacks), and has great bulk and Giga Drain to keep itself healthy against it; it also helps that it can use Sleep Powder to incapacitate it (or the switch-in).

Do any Pokemon actually immediately threaten a healthy Mega Venusaur when they switch in? The only ones I can think of are fast flying types (Talonflame, Charizard or its Mega formes, Staraptor, etc) and Alakazam; nothing else in OU seems to actually be able to come in, immediately outspeed and do great damage.

I see this becoming a staple Bulky Grass type that could even threaten Ferrothorn and Celebi's places in OU with its impressive stats, precise movepool and surprising versatility.

im playing around with different partners, right now though, Im using slowbro with him. mega Saur would attract setups and psychic attacks; slowbro can take the attacks and shrug em off with slack off; and cripple setups with Scald burn. In return saur is strong vs grass/electric and beefy enough to take special hits that slowbro cant.

Slowbro wins double pts for having such high def he cant really be hurt by pursuit; and when regenerator comes out he can just switch out whenever he wants.

Honestly I am tempted to run saur in a Rain team. Without relying on synthesis the rain would weaken fire even more n help his water team mates. (Any counters to say omastar swift swim shell smash is blocked by saur.) Idk tho :>
Sounds pretty good. You know, the rain thing actually crossed my mind. Not sure how well it'd work, but it's certainly worth a shot

I'm really starting to be impressed by Mega Venusaur. Thick Fat removes Mega Venusaur's two biggest weaknesses, leaving only Psychic and Flying weaknesses (only the latter of which is common in OU), while its 80/123/120 defensive stats give it massive overall bulk and its typing gives it fantastic resistances to Water, Fighting, Electric, Grass and Fairy, plus an immunity to several status moves including Toxic, Spore, Sleep Powder and Stun Spore; it can even run Earthquake off its decent base 100 Attack to break down most fire and steel types, most notably Aegislash. Add in base 122 Special Attack, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb and Sleep Powder, as well as access to Leech Seed, and there are few Pokemon that can break down Mega Venusaur.

It's also one of the best checks to Protean Greninja, as it resists Water, takes neutral damage from Dark Pulse and Ice Beam (its most common non-water attacks), and has great bulk and Giga Drain to keep itself healthy against it; it also helps that it can use Sleep Powder to incapacitate it (or the switch-in).

Do any Pokemon actually immediately threaten a healthy Mega Venusaur when they switch in? The only ones I can think of are fast flying types (Talonflame, Charizard or its Mega formes, Staraptor, etc) and Alakazam; nothing else in OU seems to actually be able to come in, immediately outspeed and do great damage.

I see this becoming a staple Bulky Grass type that could even threaten Ferrothorn and Celebi's places in OU with its impressive stats, precise movepool and surprising versatility.
Yeah it's pretty great. To answer your question, I'd say there are only a select few. Certainly big psychic types like Alakazam, Reunculus, and Latios. Hetran and Talonflame would probably be big fire threats. Maybe Celebi and Slowbro as well. Other than that, he can pretty much take on everything else cause of the great resistance spread and offensive assets.

From my expirences using him, his biggest threat is psychics, regardless of whom it is, he is basically forced to switch out on a psychic. Bronzong isnt even threatend by an earth quake.

However your standard psychics do not want to switch into any set without good prediction:

Alakazam and Gardevoir both get 2 shotted by sludge bomb or petal blizzard.

Most flying types have the same issue and are leery to switch into a sludge bomb, which will 2 shot most flying types:
252+ Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Venusaur: 306-362 (84.06 - 99.45%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (tested using a def set saur using Mega saur stats)

Even starraptor fails to net a 1 hit kill using brave bird, meaning Msaur will win the duel on switching in (not that he should stay in anyway)

The number 1 counter to Saur is STILL Skarmory, whom Msaur cannot do anything to and whom can set up hazards on Msaur without problem

Essentially anything with a neutral overpowering move (BP 100) and a great attack stat will cause Msaur to think carefully about staying in. Still with that bulk and # of resistances, if he can dodge stabs and his only 2 SE he can come in quite often. I imagine on the special def sets this would be the same as well.

Slowbro would not stay even consider switching in on Msaur. He would get murdered :p
Its a shame Venusaur never picked up calm mind. He would have absolutely love that

Last edited:
Aw yes the dreaded four moveslot syndrome. The bane of many a strong pokemon.

To get a bit off the topic, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Venusaur's other team members might be and who would be a good advantage for it, as well as what role on a team (weather or regular) it might have.
As I stated before Heatran and Latias remain very good teammates as they cover each other very well. With all three being bulky while still quite threatening offensively it is a great core for a sun team. I know its nohting new but sometimes the standard teams sets became standard for a reason lol. Especially now that Venasaur fits that role better than ever.

Sounds pretty good. You know, the rain thing actually crossed my mind. Not sure how well it'd work, but it's certainly worth a shot

Yeah it's pretty great. To answer your question, I'd say there are only a select few. Certainly big psychic types like Alakazam, Reunculus, and Latios. Hetran and Talonflame would probably be big fire threats. Maybe Celebi and Slowbro as well. Other than that, he can pretty much take on everything else cause of the great resistance spread and offensive assets.
Celebi takes more damage from Mega Venusaur's STAB Sludge Bomb than MV does from Celebi's Psychic / Psyshock, but it IS faster so it's a decent but shaky check. Reuniclus is very slow but would probably be a big threat 'cause of its power and bulk; Latios and 'Zam are the biggest Psychic threats due to their speed and power.

Talonflame would not be a threat because of Fire (thanks to Thick Fat), but because of Flying; priority STAB Brave Bird would certainly be a danger. Heatran can't do nearly as much damage as it would like (It needs Life Orb Fire Blast to even think about 2HKOing a specially defensive MV), and can't really risk an Earthquake / HP Ground; if you know MV isn't packing a ground move though, Heatran wall it. Slowbro is bulky but not particularly powerful - its Psyshock would not do as much damage to MV as Giga Drain would to Slowbro, not to mention it is slower, so Slowbro isn't even a good check unless Trick Room is active.

I guess Skarmory is the best counter since it walls it completely and can lay down Spikes / SR or attack with Brave Bird while packing a 4x resist or immunity to both of its STABs; Moltres / Talonflame / Charizard (especially Megazard Y) work nicely with their STAB Flying moves and 4x resistance to Grass. Dragonite works well with its massive bulk, 4x Grass resistance and can set up on it with Dragon Dance. Ferrothorn walls it but can't do anything back except T-wave - even Gyro Ball would do diddly squat since MV rarely invests in speed but always invests in defenses.

Last edited:
Celebi takes more damage from Mega Venusaur's STAB Sludge Bomb than MV does from Celebi's Psychic / Psyshock, but it IS faster so it's a decent but shaky check. Reuniclus is very slow but would probably be a big threat 'cause of its power and bulk; Latios and 'Zam are the biggest Psychic threats due to their speed and power.

Talonflame would not be a threat because of Fire (thanks to Thick Fat), but because of Flying; priority STAB Brave Bird would certainly be a danger. Heatran can't do nearly as much damage as it would like (It needs Life Orb Fire Blast to even think about 2HKOing a specially defensive MV), and can't really risk an Earthquake / HP Ground; if you know MV isn't packing a ground move though, Heatran wall it. Slowbro is bulky but not particularly powerful - its Psyshock would not do as much damage to MV as Giga Drain would to Slowbro, not to mention it is slower, so Slowbro isn't even a good check unless Trick Room is active.

I guess Skarmory is the best counter since it walls it completely and can lay down Spikes / SR or attack with Brave Bird while packing a 4x resist or immunity to both of its STABs; Moltres / Talonflame / Charizard (especially Megazard Y) work nicely with their STAB Flying moves and 4x resistance to Grass. Dragonite works well with its massive bulk, 4x Grass resistance and can set up on it with Dragon Dance. Ferrothorn walls it but can't do anything back except T-wave - even Gyro Ball would do diddly squat since MV rarely invests in speed but always invests in defenses.
Yeha strong psychoc types are probably its biggest worry. Steel types like Ferrothorn and Skarmory will be another tough patch since the HP nerf and assuming you run mixed attacker set. Other than that, Saur gives great coverage type and stat wise. And for those it cant take on, it has other team mates to fall back on.

You should EV Megasaur depending on what your team needs. SpD if you need something for Water pokemon (helps with the Ice Beams too), Df for a Fighting/Rock resist, otherwise go mixed.

You know, I'm liking the sound of Growth more and more since mixed really is his strong suit. +2 Giga Drain does wonders for his sustainability if you go offensive and Sludge Bomb and EQ handles the rest. Megavolve at the end of sun to keep that offensive prowess and even without sun, +1 to each stat really isn't that bad when there are so few things that can handle that combination of moves (Skarmory, Crobat really). And Megasaur is bound to cause switches meaning nabbing a Growth should be easy to do.

You should EV Megasaur depending on what your team needs. SpD if you need something for Water pokemon (helps with the Ice Beams too), Df for a Fighting/Rock resist, otherwise go mixed.

You know, I'm liking the sound of Growth more and more since mixed really is his strong suit. +2 Giga Drain does wonders for his sustainability if you go offensive and Sludge Bomb and EQ handles the rest. Megavolve at the end of sun to keep that offensive prowess and even without sun, +1 to each stat really isn't that bad when there are so few things that can handle that combination of moves (Skarmory, Crobat really). And Megasaur is bound to cause switches meaning nabbing a Growth should be easy to do.
The growth mixed set does sound very enticing. I know i love just sweeping teams with Sair when i get a growth in. I do agree with your statement about EVs and how it is speced will probably fall on what your team requires.

Charizard Y cannot switch into Saur to mega though; if he does hes gonna take a nasty hit from sludge bomb with a good chance to 2 hit KO with minimal S atk investment.

Saur has quite a few options im not sure what EVs one should run on him tbh. Pure tank seems like kind of a waste because hes just so close to netting 2 hit K.O.s from 3 hit ones. (thats prolly why growth is so attractive) Maybe HP / S atk?

I dont think anyone else mentioned this yet but energy ball got a buff so that it is now 90 base power. obviously giga drain is the superior choice on mega and defensive sets but its energy ball worth consideration over giga drain on chlorophyll venusaur? personally i have always found giga drain to be a bit underwhelming without a growth boost, especially with timid nature although the recovery is nice. Since growth boosts are gonna be harder to come by this generation do to limited turns with the sun up, does the extra 15 base power of energy ball make it a viable option over giga drain... thoughts?

A core i've been thinking would be

MegaVenusaur @ Venusaurite
252 Hp/252SpD/4Spd

- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

A Staple Tanky set-up with tons of regen, i chose Leech Seed instead of sleep powder because it's a good set up coupled with Burn or Paralysis.

Florges @ Leftovers
252 Hp/126SpD/126SpA/4Spe

- Wish
- Flower Shield
- Safeguard
- Moonblast

The Support set with decent SpA and bulk.

This core obviously aims to outlast the enemy, Florges is not expected to last all throughout the battle which explains the reason behind Safeguard for her last resort. Flower shield would transform Venusaur into a full on tank, Flower shield + SpD Investment + Thick Fat.

Good back ups would be a late game sweeper Talonflame and a Rotom-w with T.wave and WoW for status infliction.

The lead would go like Venusaur+Rotom, inflict status and then Volt Switch to Florges to lay down Flower Shields and Safeguard, Plus supporting attacks through Moonblast

I've gotten pretty high up on the Showdown ladder with a mono attacking tank mega Venusaur set.

MegaVenusaur @ Venusaurite
Thick Fat
252 Hp/252SpD/4Atk

- Curse
- Power Whip
- Sleep Talk/Earthquake
- Rest/Synthesis

It's essentially CroCune, except, well, a Venusaur. Strangely enough, pairing it with the aforementioned Poke and a fire type such as Heatran can destroy unprepared teams, as their solid fire/grass/water core is hard to break; one of the three can often find opportunities to set up.

I dont think anyone else mentioned this yet but energy ball got a buff so that it is now 90 base power. obviously giga drain is the superior choice on mega and defensive sets but its energy ball worth consideration over giga drain on chlorophyll venusaur? personally i have always found giga drain to be a bit underwhelming without a growth boost, especially with timid nature although the recovery is nice. Since growth boosts are gonna be harder to come by this generation do to limited turns with the sun up, does the extra 15 base power of energy ball make it a viable option over giga drain... thoughts?
I think Giga Drain will still be perfered given it's health recovery. Extra damage is good, but with lack of leftovers and you needing to waste a turn seeding your opponent, Giga Drain will probably be better for those desired quick heals.

I haven't really been up on Showdown lately. I'm waiting for Smogon to release the tier liest as well as the Pokemon Transfer thing to come out in December so I can have all my options available to me. Hopefully by then some good strategies and stuff will come out.

I think Giga Drain will still be perfered given it's health recovery. Extra damage is good, but with lack of leftovers and you needing to waste a turn seeding your opponent, Giga Drain will probably be better for those desired quick heals.

I haven't really been up on Showdown lately. I'm waiting for Smogon to release the tier liest as well as the Pokemon Transfer thing to come out in December so I can have all my options available to me. Hopefully by then some good strategies and stuff will come out.
i was talking about the timid chlorophyll sweeper set though. they typically dont run leech seed and are completely offensively focused. running timid nature inorder to outspeed scarf latios and SS cloyster makes Spa max out at 299. is extra base 15 power a good idea in order to make up for the slightly underwhelming SpA or is it not worth the loss of leftovers. remember im talking specifically about this set

i was talking about the timid chlorophyll sweeper set though. they typically dont run leech seed and are completely offensively focused. running timid nature inorder to outspeed scarf latios and SS cloyster makes Spa max out at 299. is extra base 15 power a good idea in order to make up for the slightly underwhelming SpA or is it not worth the loss of leftovers. remember im talking specifically about this set
Ah yes sorry. Uh, I'm not really sure. You could certainly try it? I'm always a big cautious and I like Giga Drain cause it gives you a bit of a buffer.

Not really, because if you are using Venusaur as a sun sweeper and want more power than Giga Drain can provide, Solarbeam is considerably stronger than Energy Ball. And before you say "what about when the sun runs out", Venusaur should not stay in on anything that it can't outspeed and KO anyway so when the sun runs out, its time for Ninetales / Megazard-Y to come back out before you let Venusaur continue to fight.

On OTHER offensively inclined grass types that do NOT rely on sun, such as special Sceptile (if you dont want Leaf Storm's stat drop) and Calm Mind Virizion, it is a viable option, but usually you will want either Giga Drain's recovery, Solarbeam's power in sunlight, Leaf Storm's incredible one-turn power, or a physical grass type attack. The Pokemon who might perhaps have wanted it most would have been Shaymin-Sky, due to Giga Drain's healing being unnecessary and Leaf Storm being too hit-and-run for a sweeper, but of course Seed Flare is far superior.

Not really, because if you are using Venusaur as a sun sweeper and want more power than Giga Drain can provide, Solarbeam is considerably stronger than Energy Ball. And before you say "what about when the sun runs out", Venusaur should not stay in on anything that it can't outspeed and KO anyway so when the sun runs out, its time for Ninetales / Megazard-Y to come back out before you let Venusaur continue to fight.

On OTHER offensively inclined grass types that do NOT rely on sun, such as special Sceptile (if you dont want Leaf Storm's stat drop) and Calm Mind Virizion, it is a viable option, but usually you will want either Giga Drain's recovery, Solarbeam's power in sunlight, Leaf Storm's incredible one-turn power, or a physical grass type attack. The Pokemon who might perhaps have wanted it most would have been Shaymin-Sky, due to Giga Drain's healing being unnecessary and Leaf Storm being too hit-and-run for a sweeper, but of course Seed Flare is far superior.
my problem with solarbeam is not the sun running out but other weather inducers being able to make me completely useless and switch into me and change the weather without fear as soon as they see i run solarbeam. They can change the weather, make me waste a turn absorbing light and then switch to something that resists my now 60 base power solarbeam. Another concern is not being able to switch in on politoed and t tar and use a grass move while their weather is up. venusaur outspeeds both of them even without the sun unless they are scarfed. for example, charizard Y or ninetales had their sun up and politoed/t tar switches in summoning their respective weather. solarbeam is now useless so if venusaur carries that as his only grass move, i cannot switch venususaur in against them and threaten them out with anything. honestly i feel like charizard y is the only pokemon capable of using solarbeam because he has the stats for it and brings his own sun.

leafstorm is cool for the power although it defeats the purpose of having growth... that being said, sun is now limited so it is worth a thought. giga drain has the huge bonus of recovery but with the addition of megas and some new bulky pokemon i am wondering if its power will be enough especially on something like timid venusaur that has such low spa

Last edited:
Quick question: Most builds that I find put down venusaur with chlorophyll but if I'm running normal saur with growth rather than sunny day why should I boyher breeding that one down? I have no sun on my team and if ninetails or char y comes out to start sun saur will get swapped.

Sorry for the run on walking and typing on my phone
You dont HAVE to use Chlorophyll, its mostly cause Overgrow is pretty lame and u never know when your gonna be vs sunlight, giving saur a nice check against Sun teams.

Frankly if your planning to sweep with saur, keep him Chlorophyll and run him as a damage dealer. MegaSaur is more of a pivot poke to come in often and wreck stuff up. If you dont plan to sweep dont worry bout Chlorophyll

Immortal, i wouldnt run solar beam at all on mega saur. I suppose if you wanted RAW damage u could just go for Leaf storm, and switch out after, or use an earthquake on a mixed set. that would limit your options with the stat drop but then again grass isnt the best attacking move anyway, so chances are u wouldnt have to worry bout spamming.

Just be sure you play saur to his advantages going mega. Mega saur will get many switch ins. Classic Saur has more damage but after choloro times out hes kinda stuck; and he certainly will not switch in nearly as often.

my problem with solarbeam is not the sun running out but other weather inducers being able to make me completely useless and switch into me and change the weather without fear as soon as they see i run solarbeam. They can change the weather, make me waste a turn absorbing light and then switch to something that resists my now 60 base power solarbeam. Another concern is not being able to switch in on politoed and t tar and use a grass move while their weather is up. venusaur outspeeds both of them even without the sun unless they are scarfed. for example, charizard Y or ninetales had their sun up and politoed/t tar switches in summoning their respective weather. solarbeam is now useless so if venusaur carries that as his only grass move, i cannot switch venususaur in against them and threaten them out with anything. honestly i feel like charizard y is the only pokemon capable of using solarbeam because he has the stats for it and brings his own sun.

leafstorm is cool for the power although it defeats the purpose of having growth... that being said, sun is now limited so it is worth a thought. giga drain has the huge bonus of recovery but with the addition of megas and some new bulky pokemon i am wondering if its power will be enough especially on something like timid venusaur that has such low spa
Timid Venusaur has 299 SpA, and 598 after a sun-boosted Growth. 299 SpA is more than usable when you are using a STAB-boosted draining move - STAB Giga Drain has 112 power, which means you'll be healing a massive amount of HP which will be necessary after switching in and taking a resisted attack, taking potential entry hazard damage, and potentially having to take additonal / priority hits while setting up / before attacking. Of course if you are packing Life Orb, it will be even more effective as recover off any LO recoil you will take. Giga Drain might not be as good as the buffed Energy Ball for low-tier sweepers who need grass coverage, like Accelgor and Galvantula, but as a STAB move Giga Drain is perfectly serviceable. And if you are using a Growth set, STAB Giga Drain will pretty much OHKO every non-resist except the pink blobs (a couple of specially bulky Fairies can take it but really, are any of them gonna risk getting hit by Sludge Bomb?).

Of course Power Whip is a good physical alternative if you use a Growth set, annihilating the pink blobs and dealing more damage to the likes of Tentacruel and Politoed. Without a growth boost though, giga drain is more useful as Venu's attack stat is lower and it misses recovery.

So what's a good set for a normal Venusaur tank? Been running into problems with Rotom-W with my team (X/Y Wifi) and thought it would be a good fit. Can't go Mega because I'm running MMawile. Would something like this work?

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Giga Drain
Leech Seed
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Powder

I don't think I'll be running Chlorophyll because obviously not Sun Sweeper, but should it have it anyway in case? And what Nature/EV spread would be good? I'f thinking Careful with 252HP/4SpA/252SpD but I'm not sure.

So what's a good set for a normal Venusaur tank? Been running into problems with Rotom-W with my team (X/Y Wifi) and thought it would be a good fit. Can't go Mega because I'm running MMawile. Would something like this work?

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Giga Drain
Leech Seed
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Powder

I don't think I'll be running Chlorophyll because obviously not Sun Sweeper, but should it have it anyway in case? And what Nature/EV spread would be good? I'f thinking Careful with 252HP/4SpA/252SpD but I'm not sure.
If you specifically want a Rotom W counter than you obviously want Spd. Regular ol Venusaur will still be weak to Fire and Ice though. You may as well run Overgrow if youre not using sun because the boost can potentially come in handy. A physical grass love will hurt far worse though since they tend to be specially defensive. And yet if they Trick you a Choice Specs youd obviously want Giga Drain... Consider Substitute over Sludge Bomb or Sleep Powder for good SubSeeding.
im strating to think Megasaur might prefer Sleep Powder and Growth together. So you can get the turns necessary to brute force through walls rather than compensate with weaker coverage. Power Whip is uber strong so you can actually kill something, and Sludge Bomb effs up the physical walls they send in their place. Although thats not great if a Steel is there wall. So maybe Giga Drain and Earthquake is superior. It can at least kill Heatran who only does neutrap Fire damage to him.

I am pretty new to competitive pokemon and I have been relying on Smogon build for reference. So I have been using Mega-Venusaur for the online 3vs3 with this following build:
Mega Venusaur (Special Tank)
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)
IVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef
Nature: Modest
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice / Sleep Powder / Stun Spore

and I find it not very reliable.

It got OHKO by LO Talonflam Brave Bird, 2HKO by Noivern Airslash when the sleep powder fail to land, and got Tank by Klefki with Thunderwave,Swagger,Sub,Foulplay set. Of course there are several good game where it manage survive a +1Mega-Kangaskhan Return with 4hp and manage to land sleep powder. I feel that it is too reliant on Sleep Powder and if it doesnt land it is too hard to survive
The problem is your using MegaSaur as a wall. Mega saur is not a wall. He is a tank.

A wall is able to face tank LO STAB hits and sit there (Think Skarmory or Heatran). MegaVenusaur is a tank which means he comes in on neutral/not very effective hits and threaten to KO or cripple, or do some damage (120 base SPA will hurt SOMETHING). He is able to come in multiple times and threaten pokes as long as you time his entry well. Saur is NOT meant to face tank swords dance boosted Stab hits or Stab super effective hits.

Remember by choosing Mega saur u are giving up your mega slot, you need to make sure you capitalize on what he can do:) With 5 resistances, 2 weaknesses, superb bulk, immunity to basically every status ailment and only 2 weaknesses you should find plenty of opportunities to switch him in, and do some damage b4 being chased away.

That being said Sleep powder is probably your best bet for the last slot; to sleep his counter and slap things around with sludge bomb.

I'm going to end up experimenting with maxing out EV's in HP and splitting half and half 126 EV's in spec def and defense. My logic is since I'm always healing I just want to be able to resist not getting OHKO'd or 2HKO'd ill be able to outlast 90% of things out there (except psychic and flying) because of leech seed, giga drain, and synthesis.

I heal they get hurt even if it's just minimal, ill end up winning out at the end.

I was also thinking of having a calm mind baton passer to venasaur. I have one spot open in my team, I'm mostly playing against my close friends so I'm not TOO tier list competitive. What's a non legendary good calm mind baton passer?

Last edited:
I'm going to end up experimenting with maxing out EV's in HP and splitting half and half 126 EV's in spec def and defense. My logic is since I'm always healing I just want to be able to resist not getting OHKO'd or 2HKO'd ill be able to outlast 90% of things out there (except psychic and flying) because of leech seed, giga drain, and synthesis.

I heal they get hurt even if it's just minimal, ill end up winning out at the end.

I was also thinking of having a calm mind baton passer to venasaur. I have one spot open in my team, I'm mostly playing against my close friends so I'm not TOO tier list competitive. What's a non legendary good calm mind baton passer?
My rational is if you use those EVs you may as well run Toxic since you're trying to stall rather than heal. So how about
Leech Seed
Synthesis
Toxic
Earthquake

My rationale is that you might as well Toxic them while you heal stall and EQ hits both the Steel and Poison types you can't Toxic and also hits Fire types too. It doesn't matter that it can't hit Flying because Venus air shouldn't sit in on those anyway unless it's like Landorus who doesn't normally carry Flying moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)