Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
I found the thread really good at first then it went down the hill with one-liners more than anything :[

Oh welp, as of what is my opinion on viable Mega Evolutions, i think they will All be viable in a way or another. The main reason why i think this will happen, and we will see all Mega formes being played regularly is because, as of what i have seen, the main argument people come up with when saying something along the lines of why use Mega Blaziken in OU when it is so similar to its normal forme, it takes up your Mega slot. That last part is something a lot of people try to say, and i must think, why do we have this Mega slot if we're gonna come up with reasons NOT to use it?

Dont get me wrong, i agree on the fact that some Megas will be over spammed to hell, namely Mega Gengar or Mega Luke, but let us take into account that surprise factor is incredibly important to gain momentum in a lot of matches, not to mention that most Mega formes, even with the item loss, they make up for it more than enough with a better speed tier or increased bulk. A lot of people say Mega Scizor will see no play, well, the bulky Swords Dance variant is completely outclassed as Mega Sciz, due to its top notch bulk, and notably shorter time of set up due to that sweet 150 base Attack, and 75 base speed is being underrated to hell and back. Hell, i think Swords Dance Scizor itself, offensive or defensive, is better played as Mega.

Thats just an example of what underlying potential some megas have, while i must be honest and i see no effing way UU and the tiers below can confront the power of Mega Stones, in OU, surprise factor and a general niche all megas WILL have (at elast inmy mind theres no doubt about that) will make them all viable in OU.

To put it simply, if Charizard isn't OU by the time this metagame gets going it is not for a lack of GameFreak's trying. On PAPER, both look amazing - we have to properly field test them.

Also, I don't think ALL mega evolutions will be viable - I don't see a use at all for Heracross, unless it gets a buffed Pin Missile or something (and PM isn't buffed, so...), just to throw an example out there.

PM did get buffed to 25, unless that was faked. Still, even with 25 power, Skill Link Pin Missile beats out Megahorn by a whopping 5 power and sub breaking potential, as they share the same accuracy. Meanwhile, Heracross loses Guts/Moxie, and its item. Mega Heracross is the definition of a wasted Mega Evo.

Arm Thrust was not buffed to my knowledge. And again, even if Heracross learned a buffed Arm Thrust, it would barely be better than Close Combat and not worth the Mega slot.

Mega Heracross actually outdamages LO Heracross, on top of getting +40 Def and +10 SpD. It doesn't enjoy losing 10 Spe and pretty much losing its ability entirely, but I think it'd be a mistake to say it doesn't have uses.

Pin Missile might be buffed, my Quilladin still knows it. Going to check...

It is better. Actually, it has 95% as well, so that's something. The problem is Heracross DOESN'T have it (that we know of), meaning you're stuck with Fury Attack. Heracross only needed Speed, it could OHKO all of Gen4's OU tier with Guts + SD + Façade/Night Slash/Close Combat without futzing with Accuracy. Just Speed, Attack, a little bulk, and there you go. And they screwed it up.

So anyone wanna discuss Abomasnow?

It basically loses Leftovers and weather nerf for an increase in stats 90/132/105/132/105/30.
I don't think MegAbomasnow is gonna be viable. At first glance, it looks great; the lowered speed helps with the weather wars (which are now more like weather slap fights [fucking good]), and it has the stats of an Uber mixed tank. However, all of its standard sets demand lefties except mixed attacker, and since you need max speed investment to stay on par with regular Abomasnow's, you won't have enough to invest in both attack stats. Not to mention its seven weaknesses.

Yeah, the attack boosts were great, considering its mixed attacking sets were its best sets, but lower Speed and increased bulk on a mon with such terrible defensive typing kind of sucks.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I don't think MegAbomasnow is gonna be viable.
Doubles + Trick Room. Mega Abomasnow is one of the bulkiest Trick Room sweepers, and one of the hardest hitting. STAB 100% accurate Blizzard coming off 150 SpA, and Ice Shard off 135 Atk are no joke. Sure, 4x weakness to Fire and a bunch of other weaknesses don't help, but that never stopped it from being an amazing mon in VGC or Doubles. I'd have to check the math but I think it outdamages LO Abomasnow.

Mega Heracross is poor, and I'd be surprised if it saw use. A big draw for heracross (from a UU player's standpoint) were its abilities in guts and moxie, two fantastic abilities that either gave stall a big headache, or allowed it to sweep until everyone rammed at least 2 checks into their teams to stop scarf moxie sweeps. Mega heracross has none of these luxuries. Also Banded heracross became quite popular, so I'm not sure I'd be looking into life orb as the comparative benchmark for mega vs normal. Only the speed increase makes it even somewhat viable to me.

I wonder if a scarfed Adamant Weavile could revenge KO mega gengar with pursuit after rocks? Or maybe a scarfed absol could be an answer (albeit a little bit of overkill) with a far stronger pursuit.

Does Heracross get Pin Missile? Because it was massively buffed this gen. If he does learn it, then Skill Link may actually be useful.

PM did get buffed to 25, unless that was faked. Still, even with 25 power, Skill Link Pin Missile beats out Megahorn by a whopping 5 power and sub breaking potential, as they share the same accuracy. Meanwhile, Heracross loses Guts/Moxie, and its item. Mega Heracross is the definition of a wasted Mega Evo.
Quoting myself on this very page.

The Mega that's really getting to me is Megazard-Y. Like, I legitimately have no guess on how that thing is gonna turn out. On one hand, it loses nothing from Solar Power because it already has 50% higher SpA, gains a really good new ability that lets it use Solar Beam, and higher SpD means it can take hits from Water and Electric attacks better. On the other hand, the awful typing is exactly the same and its other defensive stats are still below average.

Does Heracross get Pin Missile? Because it was massively buffed this gen. If he does learn it, then Skill Link may actually be useful.
No, sadly. Also, no users of it have Skill Link, and only Roserade has Technician. Actually, TechRose could be really good now, I gotta get on that shit.Disregard, I'm stupid, Pin Missile is physical. However, she'll need Technician anyway to get the most out of the newly nerfed Hidden Power.

Last edited:
Quoting myself on this very page.
I guess they wanted us to use Fury Attack huh? That's bizarre and very disappointing. Still, I'm not complaining because Mega Heracross is one of the few mega designs I cannot stand visually (the other being Alakazam)

Sadly mega charizard Y is doomed to almost no use except for those who want to persist with sun in OU, and even then, only 5 turns to use really hurts. You can't even use mega charizard Y in any lower tier due to drought ban, so it seems almost done for really...

Edit: Megaheracross is slower than regular? Well thats even worse. Being unable to outspeed chandelure in UU is a really bad idea...

Edit2: I also despise mega gardevoir, pixilate is a stupid ability when I could've been abusing trace for switch-ins, and there really isn't much I could be arsed outspeeding between base 80-100 in OU should I desire to use it there, while trace offers at least one good ability per team to abuse if you're unlucky.

That being if Drought is banned in the first place. With these nerfs, I see no reason for any auto-weather bans in any tier, at least certainly not so early in the meta.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Mega tierings will be based on the tiering on the base form, not the Mega form. So if Charizard makes OU, then MegaZardY will be OU. It is simply one of Charizard's sets.

Doubles + Trick Room. Mega Abomasnow is one of the bulkiest Trick Room sweepers, and one of the hardest hitting. STAB 100% accurate Blizzard coming off 150 SpA, and Ice Shard off 135 Atk are no joke. Sure, 4x weakness to Fire and a bunch of other weaknesses don't help, but that never stopped it from being an amazing mon in VGC or Doubles. I'd have to check the math but I think it outdamages LO Abomasnow.
The problem is that trick room needs specific sweepers. Weakness to Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, while being neutral to everything but Aqua Jet is a no-no, because it cuts your sweep short. SR weakness and common weakness isn't helping at all.

On the topic of Mega Ampharos, I am sorta worried for it. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it learned Draco Meteor as many non-dragons learn Outrage (though I suppose Outrage is a little less specific flavor-wise from Draco Meteor, still). In fact, Ampharos actually learns Outrage! :0 The problem is Mega Ampharos will be relegated to the lower tiers, and from the looks of it there will be many many new shiny fairies populating them. It's Dragon sub-typing sounds basically useless to it, especially as Dragon Pulse's BP was nerfed. However, since most Megas might actually end up in BL (or their stones banned in lower tiers, however Smogon chooses to do it), Ampharos might be a premiere Mega choice in the lower tiersa. And on the bright side, THAT HAIR!

Also, I think people trying to calm the Mega Gengar hype are delusional. Many Megas will probably have issues with their initially crappy stats and finding an opportunity to Mega Evolve, Gengar is not one of them. Gengar is already a wildly viable Pokemon and most of its Mega sets likely won't (or don't have to) differ that much. Apart from Perish Song I can't think of many moves Mega Gengar will be running that wouldn't be perfectly viable on regular Gengar. This guy is the boss.

On to Mega Banette, this is the only Mega we don't seem to have stats for (or at least the only one I haven't seen any for). It actually has pretty cool stats to work off of with 100 BST. I really can't predict what direction they'll take Banette in. It will likely get a boost to its phenomenal attack, but from there GF could increase its bulk or speed. Bulk would be better, but GF has a habit of giving Prankster users incredibly high speed stats. I pray to Arceus they don't just give it 50/50 increases in its offenses. Regardless, I think Banette has much potential. It has plenty of opportunities to switch in being a ghost type and has a high attack stat to work off with Shadow Sneak. It doesn't have Recover though, which really seems vital to our friend Sableye's success. I need more info on this thing. If it gets the dark type Topsy-Turvy it will be a staple on OU teams. I'm not holding breath though as the only confirmed users of that are Malamar and Spinda...

MegAmpharos has good stats, unique typing, and a useful ability. I'm sure he'll have some niche in OU.

Also, is there some place with all the Mega Evo stats listed?

I would like to ask everyone what are your impressions of CharizardX and CharizardY? Which one is better? Do u think drought being only 5 turns now tilts the balance in favour of zardX? And do Ground attacks affect zardX (I am asking cause zardX clearly has wings)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)