Volcarona

Ive had success with a bold nature 252 hp 252 defense

Quiver dance
Bugbuzz
Fiery Dance
Rest
Morning Sun is the better option over Rest, but that means that this Volcarona variant has to be used on a sun team. Also take 4 EVs out of HP and put the last 8 EVs into Special Defense; if Volcarona uses max HP, it dies switching in to SR twice assuming it didn't take battle damage (taken from Smogon analysis).

Really, though, what can most Heatran actually do to Volcarona? Stone Edge?
Despite all the talk about Heatran in this thread, I think only one dude in the past 30 pages has pointed out that Heatran learns Roar, which is an infinitely better option for stopping Volcarona than Stone Edge(lol) or Toxic.

What are the last 4 EVs in?

Is it bulky enough to survive after resting?

I put the last 4 evs in special attack. The set works really well for me. Just quiver dance a few times and your good to go. I obviously run a couple spinners on my team when i use this guy, just in case.

Volcarana gets hurt by entry hazards

if im right volcarana is the only pokemon that is 4x weak to stealth rock thats not part flying type (correct me if im wrong) which means its the only pokemon thats 4x weak to stealth rock to be hurt by other entry hazards to :(

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Technically, if they made a bug/ice or ice/fire Pokemon, you would be wrong, but as they haven't yet, as of so far, yes.

This also makes Volcarona the only pokemon that can switch in on a non-damaging move with full health and end with 1/16, if there are 3 layers of Spikes, SR, One layer of T-spikes, and either Sandstorm or Hail.

Technically, if they made a bug/ice or ice/fire Pokemon, you would be wrong, but as they haven't yet, as of so far, yes.

This also makes Volcarona the only pokemon that can switch in on a non-damaging move with full health and end with 1/16, if there are 3 layers of Spikes, SR, One layer of T-spikes, and either Sandstorm or Hail.
It's also the only 4x SR weak mon to be in OU ;)

I believe that hp ice is better than hp ground. With ground you can hit heatran, but most of them Carry a ballon so its not that reliable. While whith ice you can hit salamance, haxorus, gyarados, thundurus, landorus and more. Or you can carry hp rock to hit them all neutrally

wrong thread. no one gives a fuck about random trivia here.
Well its something to consider. T_T More of a reason to watch out for entry hazards. It didn't even occur to me that it would take damage from non SR entry hazards (as no one uses them really) which could potentially ruin a switch in I'd normally survive.

I believe that hp ice is better than hp ground. With ground you can hit heatran, but most of them Carry a ballon so its not that reliable. While whith ice you can hit salamance, haxorus, gyarados, thundurus, landorus and more. Or you can carry hp rock to hit them all neutrally

Haxorus can die to Bug Buzz
Thundurus to Fiery Dance
Landorus to Fiery Dance

So, with HP Ice, you hit: Salamence and Dragonite
With HP Rock: Most Fire types and Gyarados + Salamence and Dragonite
With HP Ground: All Fire types except Charizard and Moltres

Btw, neutral Hidden Powers = BAD BAD BAD

balloon pops once the pokemon gets hit with contact correct? why is everyone acting like it's unbeatable and so great. hit heatran once with anything, balloon gone.. becomes vulnerable without a item

balloon pops once the pokemon gets hit with contact correct? why is everyone acting like it's unbeatable and so great. hit heatran once with anything, balloon gone.. becomes vulnerable without a item
With proper prediction, it essentially gives you a free switch in, plus the turn the opponent has to break it. possibly forcing out something that's choice-locked, granting you a free turn to set up or something like that.

That being said, I don't think it's that reliable of an item, since one wrong prediction leaves you itemless; I'd use Shucka over Balloon any day of the week (in most cases).

With proper prediction, it essentially gives you a free switch in, plus the turn the opponent has to break it. possibly forcing out something that's choice-locked, granting you a free turn to set up or something like that.
And two turns of setup is all many Pokemon need.

Normally, Hidden Power (Ground) or (Rock) are the primary options over Psychic so that Volcarona has an easier time with Heatran and Gyarados/Salamence/Dragonite respectively. The 4 HP EVs should go into Special Defense because putting 4 EVs into HP makes Volcarona die to Stealth Rock if switched into battle twice without taking attack damage.
I'd argue that generally, Volcarona has more of a purpose running HP Rock. Volcarona generally isn't threatened by Heatran outside of Roar or Toxic variants (and even then Toxic sets lose to ChestoRest.). In fact, Volcarona can even set up on it almost. On the other hand, Gyarados, Salamence, and other friends easily threaten it, even at +1. In that respect, Hidden Power Rock is superior.

What is the best Ability for Volcarona?
Just run Flame Body. Swarm, while boosting Bug Buzz is nice, is somewhat inferior overall. Flame Body is nice for crippling physical hitters, and you generally won't be below 33% HP. In fact, you'll arguably be dead by that point. Flame Body at least lets you punish something like Gyarados or Scizor.

A Swarm set that tries to take advantage of stealth rock late game for quick set-up would be pretty interesting, with like bug buzz, fiery dance, quiver dance, and substitute, you switch in to something you can kill with one of your STABs with stealth rock up, sub on the switch, and end up +1/+1/+1 against whatever is brought in with possibly both of your STABs doubly boosted. Actually this might be better early game, where the ridiculous power is gonna take down at least one thing and possibly cause a lot of collateral damage on others.

I don't know if it has been discussed but I've been using Chesto Resto QD Volcarona w/ great success, you get walled by heatran to know end and jellicent as well if you don't have enough QD's but I really like it.

A Swarm set that tries to take advantage of stealth rock late game for quick set-up would be pretty interesting, with like bug buzz, fiery dance, quiver dance, and substitute, you switch in to something you can kill with one of your STABs with stealth rock up, sub on the switch, and end up +1/+1/+1 against whatever is brought in with possibly both of your STABs doubly boosted. Actually this might be better early game, where the ridiculous power is gonna take down at least one thing and possibly cause a lot of collateral damage on others.

Wouldn't ChestoRest be better? Same coverage, except it doesn't lower its own health and can get even more Dances :L

Despite all the talk about Heatran in this thread, I think only one dude in the past 30 pages has pointed out that Heatran learns Roar, which is an infinitely better option for stopping Volcarona than Stone Edge(lol) or Toxic.
While it's true that Heatran can't do much to Volcarona AFTER IT SETS UP, Heatran still has the advantage if Volcarona has only 1 or even 2 QD and/or lacks HP Ground/Rock, as Heatran has much better defenses and resistances. In the sun, neutral Fire attacks wear down the moth, and don't forget Heatran can learn Ancienpower (XD) or run HP Rock just to troll Volcarona. Fail Edge would be an interesting option too, and shouldn't be discounted, as mixed Heatran are never seen anymore now that Explosion's been nerfed, but it still has use in destroying the moth.

Of course, as you said, Roar + SR is probably a better option overall, assuming Volcarona isn't the last poke

Not sure if this is viable, but I did notice that Will-o-Wisp, Morning Sun and Quiver Dance have impressive synergy, allowing it to survive substantial special damage and reasonable physical damage while boosting. This does leave it essentially without coverage unless you chose to leave off Morning Sun, but the ability to boost its sweeping stats while being played defensively strikes me as interesting. Thoughts?

Not sure if this is viable, but I did notice that Will-o-Wisp, Morning Sun and Quiver Dance have impressive synergy, allowing it to survive substantial special damage and reasonable physical damage while boosting. This does leave it essentially without coverage unless you chose to leave off Morning Sun, but the ability to boost its sweeping stats while being played defensively strikes me as interesting. Thoughts?
This set would work extremely well if Volcarona had Tinted Lens...

which it doesn't. So, no.

And the moment I pull out my Heatran you are useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)