[Warstory] Pikabuddy Family at Dallas VGC 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Pikabuddy here. Riding a 3 hour trip home from the VGC now, so I might as well do a war story (for both of my brothers, also.)

Junior brother: (Kobe) (7 yrs old)
Senior Brother: (Casey) (11 years old)
Masters: Myself (15 and a half)

After training on PO with just my brothers and I for about two months, we seemed ready to go this weekend.

We happen to have a wedding AND a move this weekend, so fitting in the VGC was very tight this year. We drove up Friday night and spent the night in Embassy Suites. Unfortunately, breakfast doesn't start there until 7:00 so we had to grab food and get in the car.

Upon arriving at 7:30, the line for both divisions was curled back along the wall; it seemed like 1000 people were at least there. When my bros got their card, they were 208th or something. A little weird, but okay. They were in.

After signing up, I give them a pat on the back and words of encouragement before they enter the competitor only zone.

I apologize for any misunderstandings, my brothers are telling me as best as they can remember of each match.

My junior brother used a Terracott team, and my senior brother a tailwind Team. I'm sorry for not delving into each Pokemon's moves, items, EVs, and strategies, as they still have the nationals to compete at, and we still may run a few of these Pokemon.

Kobe:

In round one, he told me he went up against a level 42 Cobalion, Whimsicott, Hydrigon, and Haxorus. After CC on Cobalion, he cleaned up the match with beat up and Rock Slide.

Round two he said was the most difficult of all. His opponent was a girl about his age, with Druddigon, Haxorus, Hydreigon, and Krookodile. She spammed outrage the entire time, slowly picking off each of his Pokemon. Luckily, Tailwind was up and he had Hydreigon come on after Terrakion was down (cleaned up Krookodile) and clean up Hydreigon and Haxorus with D Meteor, but missed Druddigon. Outrage finished his Hydreigon, and he finished Druddigon with Eelektross.

Round 3: He didn't remember this round very much, but it was three genies and a Haxorus. 4-0 'd it with Beat Up rock slide.

Round 4: This was his "second hardest", he said. Went up against Volcorona, Golurk, Reuniclus, and Hydreigon. Terrakion took care of Volcorona, and Whimsicott took care of Golurk. He CC'd Hydreigon before going down to the Reuniclus's Psychic, and cleaned up with Hydreigon.

Finals: Turned out there were only twenty junior finalists, so they gave fourteen byes to random juniors, and the remaining four would fight it out for top 16. Upon handing them out, though, they ran out of cards to hand out so they recollected them all and redistributed with the right amount. LOL (I feel bad for players who got the byes and then got plays afteR the redis) . Kobe got a play, and he got nervous. I was right there outide the lounge, and encouraged him more.

Top 32 ( sort of):

He goes up against a Krookodile and a Terrakion. He decides to take the risk of a scarf Krookodile and Grass Knots the Terrakion, Koing it, and CCs krook ,but the Krookodile has a FS, and attacks back with Brick Break. Critical hit, OHKOs Terrakion. He sends out Jellicent ( I believe, not sure on this Battle), he sends out Eelektross. Eelektross OHKOs Jellicent, and Whimsicott finishes Krookodile. His opponents last Pokemon, Hydreigon, has a scarf and crits Eelektross to KO it. His Hydreigon comes in and protects while Whimsicott sets Tailwind up, but for some odd reason his opponents Hydra Fire blasts Whimsicott. D meteor wins the game.

Top 16: He doesn,t remember this battle very much, but I believe it was Thundurus and Tornadus for his opponent with Amoonguss and Jellicent in the back. I think he ohkoed both genies Turn 2 after a Tailwind. He crit the Amoonguss with Rock Slide but Jellicent crit Hydro pumped him. Cleaned up with Eelektross and Whimsicott.

top 4:

They skipped top 8 for some reason, I think it was because there werent enough players. His top 4 opponent has Zoroark, which we didn't train much with. He leads with Chandelure and Volcorona, and I've told Kobe to at least watch out for Zoroark + Chandelure. He grass knots Chandelure, breaking it,s sash, which turns out to indeed be Zororark. Rock Slide OHKOs both Pokemon. He sends out Seismetoad and Terrakion ( I think, can't be sure), and I believe The other Terrakion wins the speed tie to KO his Terrakion. Seismetoad uses muddy water, bringing Whimsicott below half HP with a crit. Whimsicott finishes Terrakion next turn, while Kobe,s Hydreigon crit D meteors Seisemtoad for the match.

Finals:

Wow. Apparently the RNG gods favored my junior brother is match. His opponent is ShinyWeavile's Brother, Terracott versus Terracott. They both start off with TW and Protect. Turn two, beat up goes on both Terrakion. However, not ONLY does my brother win the speed tie, it FLINCHES his Terrakion. Turn three, his opponent switches to Amoonguss. Whimsicott grass knots it, before trying to take out his oppoents sashed Whimsicott. InsTead, Effect spore activates and paralyzes Whimsicott. Kobes Terrakion wins the speed tie AGAIN and KOs Terrakion and ~5% HP Amoonquss. His opponent sends out Darminatan, and Rock slide kills both. He sends out Whimsicott again, which Terrakion ccs to win the game.

ShinyWeavile, your brother is a great player and I,m sorry for the crappy hax on your end. It definetly would have been a different battle it it wasn't for Hax. We look forward to Nats!

EDIT: Added Casey's Warstory

Seniors : CASEY:

Darminatan/Whimsicott/Chandelure/Hydreigon/Scrafty/Eelektross

ROUND 1:
Apparently, Casey went up against someone at least above 20 years old, he had a grown beard and was bigger than me. I asked the staff how old he was, and they said he was a kid. OKAY then. Casey lead with Darminatan and Whimsicott, he lead with Volcorona and Samurott. Rock Slide OHKO'd Volcorona, and Grass knot finished Samurott. He sent Hydreigon and Serperior. Casey switched out to Hydreigon, while his opponent's Hydreigon used Earthwuake (O.o). Hydreigon cleaned up the rest.

ROUND 2:
Trick Room team. Opponent leads with a Reuniclus and a FO scrafty. Casey leads with Imprison Chandelure and Scrafty. His scrafty FO's the opponent's one, and Chandelure seals the opponent's TR. It goes downhill for his opponent from there, with Conkeldurr and Jellicent in the back.

ROUND 3:
He doesn't remember much of this round, I think it was a Jellicent (Non-scarfed >_>), and a Krookodile. He can't remember what happened, I think Hydro Pump missed his Darminatan, and his Hydreigon missed with Draco Meteor. It was a 3-0, though.

ROUND 4:
Opponent is Beartic/Archeops lead. Darminatan KOs them both with Rock Slide, and then he sends out Chandelure and Krookodile. Rock Slide sashes Chandelure, grass knot OHKO's Krookodile. Chandelure does Flame Burst, on Whimsicott, sashing it. Darminatan cleans up.

Finals:

Upon getting a Redis, my brother gets a bye. Yay!

Top 16:
Terracott, with a Chople berry Terrakion. Darminatan Superpowers Terrakion but doesn't get it down. Followed by a beat up and Rock slide, OHKOing Darminatan. He sends out Eelektross, KO's Terrakion with Grass knot, and sashes Whimsicott with Eelektross. He sent Thundurus, Eelektross OHKO's Thundurus before it can move (it was under TW), and Whimsicott KO's the other Cott w/ grass knot. Tornadus is last, I needn't explain what happened.

Top 8:
Mienshao and Conkeldurr. Darminatan get's FO, Conkeldurr protects, Whimsicott Tailwinds. Mienshao uses Fake out again the next turn (WTF?) and Darminatan OHKO's Conkeldurr. I believe he used a Krookodile last (Moxie), and and an Amoonguss. Amoonguss uses Rage Powder, Flae Blitz OHKO's. Krookodile gets an Earthquake off, kills Darminatan, and then Whimsicott finishes it up next turn.

Top 4:

We haven't discussed this match in detail yet. Will write when I get more details.

Finals:

His lead team for countering TR teams (which it looked like the opponent had), has one major weakness : Scarf Jellicent. Yeah, his opponent carried it. Casey totally predicted wrong on the TR, which was fine. He got slaughtered, but I know he did his best. I am surprised he made it this far. Good luck to everyone going to Nats, and he's looking forward to a rematch with Lucien.

MY WARSTORY:
Since I'll probably use the some of my team at LCQ, I wont be revealing sets, EVs, or items. Sorry ^-^

I don't remember many of these battles clearly, forgive me ^_^:

After seeing both of my brothers play, I was excited for my turn in the tournament. After congratulating my brothers, I go get in the line that is already curled along the walls. I get in behind some teenage older than me while my brothers and dad go get lunch. I end up battling the teenager while we wait for the enormous line to shrink.

ROUND 1:
After signing up, I end up right behind the teenager I fought in line, and we're paired together. He's not from smogon. He leads with Virizion and Whimsicott for a Beat Up lead. I lead with Amoonguss and Tornadus, and after a Rage Powder to direct the BU to AMoonguss, his Virizion faints from Tornadus. The match goes downhill from there for him, and I win 3-0.

Round 2: A guy who laughed when I asked if he was Smogon . "Do I look organized enough to be from there?" he said. Alrighty then. He has a four Pokemon Team, Alomomomomomomomomola, Zebstrika, Serperior, and Samurott. I lead with Amoonguss, Terrakion, he leads with Alom and Zeb. After CCing his Zebstrika to death, Alomomola uses "Soak" (lol) on my Terrakion, Amoonguss giga Drains (was expecting an Overheat from Zebstrika). Next turn, he sends out Serperior. Serperior's Quick Claw activates (lol), and he OHKO's terrakion with leaf blade. I spore his Alomomola. I send out Thundurus. Alomomola wakes up and protects, and I use HP Ice on Serperior, bringing it down to below half. Next turn, I rage powder with Amoonguss (in case of an Water Gem Aqua Jet), and finish off his Serperior. Alomomola heal pulses Amoonguss (lol). He sends out Samurott, I spore Samurott and Tbolt Alomomola, and then finish off Samurott next turn. 3-0.

BTW: I always like to know who my opponent is, so I always ask if they are Skarmbliss or Smogon. :P

Round 3: "Yeah, I'm from Smogon, but a lurker. I was active back in the old days, and all that @#$^." He never told me his user.

He leads with Scrafty and Terrakion, I lead with I double protect turn one to prevent any FOs, and I see his Terrakion try to CC mine. Turn 2 I rage powder with Amoonguss and KO his Scrafty, which his Terrakion CC's Amoonguss. He sends out Jellicent, and I can tell it's scarfed, based on Team preview. I protect with Terrakion and attempt to Spore his Jellicent. It has a Water Gem and crits Amoonguss, bringing it down. I send out Thundurus next. I cross my fingers and try another protect, and to my relief it works. Water spout brings me to about 30% HP on Thundurus, and I Tbolt Jellicent down. However, his Terrakion rock slides and kills Thundurus. I send out Chandelure, he sends out a Lilligant (???). I must've won the speed tie because my Terrakion went first to kill his. Lilligant goes before Chandelure and Solarbeams (With a Power Herb, or w/e), to kill Terrakion. Heat Wave finishes it off. 1-0

Round 4: Another lurker from Smogon. He leads with Whimsicott and Volcorona, I lead with Terrakion and Amoonguss. I Protect with amoonguss, And Rock Slide Volcorona. Whimsicott Protects (?). Volco survives with a sash, and Heat Wave brings Terrakion to about 75%. I switch out Amoonguss to tornadus, expecting an Encore, but instead it Tailwinds. I finish Volcorona with Terrakion. He sends out Haxorus. I Tailwind with Tornadus, and Protect with Terrakion. (Expecting a Grass Knot from whimsicott). Whimsicott unsuccessfully Energy Balls Terrakion, and Haxorus Rock slides. It OHKO's Tornadus. "What does the Haxorus have?" I asked him. "Choice Band," he replies. Weird. I send out Amoonguss. Next turn, I CC Haxorus to death, with Rage Powder on Amoonguss. Energy Ball goes to Amoonguss, does minor damage. He sends out Vanilluxe. It was scarfed. Whimsicott Tailwinds again, and I was set to CC Vanniluxe and Spore Whimsicott. Vanniluxe goes first and OHKO's Amoonguss and crits Terrakion, killing them both. At this point I begin to panic but then I remember I have Chandelure. I send it out, and select heat wave. Vanilluxe goes first and Blizzards, critting and freezing Chandelure, bringing it down to about 10% Hp. Energy Ball from whimsicott finishes it off.

My loss wasn't too bad because my brothers won. I'll be in LCQ, hopefully Nationals.

Thanks for reading! :D

Freaking insane! Congrats man. (2 free trips to Indy, a free hotel, $600, 2 3DS's, and 2 Medals are some pretty sick prizes.)

Hope to see you and your brother at Nationals.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
More than anything, I'm very glad you could make this a family affair. Congrats.

Thanks everyone. I hopefully will be attending Indy LCQ for a chance for nats, that will make us all three there. That would be awesome, even if we all lost round 1.

Thanks for not putting my brother down. I don't know if I have told you yet, but terrakion is defensively EV'd just so it can survive a rock slide from opposing terrakion, but the flinch ruined the whole thing anyway. The speed tie wouldn't have been a big deal, but that stupid flinch.....

Thanks for not putting my brother down. I don't know if I have told you yet, but terrakion is defensively EV'd just so it can survive a rock slide from opposing terrakion, but the flinch ruined the whole thing anyway. The speed tie wouldn't have been a big deal, but that stupid flinch.....
Did you read the whole thing? Look what I said at the second to last paragraph.

I did. I was being serious, no sarcasm intended. Also, had you a chance to see the full movesets and had my brother used the pokemon I hoped he would use, he would've won.
Well, we both got to Nationals. That's pretty good to begin with, and both our brothers got 1st and 2nd. It's pretty awesome. Good luck at Nationals for you and your brother. :)

Thanks everyone. I hopefully will be attending Indy LCQ for a chance for nats, that will make us all three there. That would be awesome, even if we all lost round 1.
Awesome story, dude. Also, Nats is swiss; everybody plays! (well lcq is single elimination)

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Cool, a Pokemon family! How are you all so good? I wish I could do that....

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
Congrats on your family doing so well! Hope you do well at Nats.
Congrats to your family, and good luck to you all at nats!
Cool, a Pokemon family! How are you all so good? I wish I could do that....
Damn nice job by your entire family. Hopefully, you guys can do well at nats too :D and nice warstory :)
Families have the advantage in training :)

Great job. Congratulations!!!
Nice warstory! Congrats and all that other stuff!
Awesome story, dude. Also, Nats is swiss; everybody plays! (well lcq is single elimination)
nice. pretty cool seeing a whole family playing pkmn.
I did. I was being serious, no sarcasm intended. Also, had you a chance to see the full movesets and had my brother used the pokemon I hoped he would use, he would've won.
Congrats to your family!
More than anything, I'm very glad you could make this a family affair. Congrats.
Freaking insane! Congrats man. (2 free trips to Indy, a free hotel, $600, 2 3DS's, and 2 Medals are some pretty sick prizes.)

Hope to see you and your brother at Nationals.
Nice warstory! Can't believe your brothers did so well!
What they said. Also, when's your warstory coming? Should be a good read

ROUND 1:
Apparently, Casey went up against someone at least above 20 years old, he had a grown beard and was bigger than me. I asked the staff how old he was, and they said he was a kid. OKAY then. Casey lead with Darminatan and Whimsicott, he lead with Volcorona and Samurott. Rock Slide OHKO'd Volcorona, and Grass knot finished Samurott. He sent Hydreigon and Serperior. Casey switched out to Hydreigon, while his opponent's Hydreigon used Earthwuake (O.o). Hydreigon cleaned up the rest.
LOLOLOL I can't believe I missed this the first time! Was the guy asian with blond/black hair? Cause he totally ignored my friend ruling in the second round, causing me to beat one of my friends....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)