What makes a Pokémon fun to use in-game?

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For me, I'm pretty simple: I like to use Pokemon that break the hell out of the game!

For example, I was cackling like a madman when I blasted through Pokemon X with Mega Charizard Y (having a little bro helps for trading stones hehehe), and I loved using Infernape and Straptor in gen 4.

I've also done "brokenmons" runthroughs in the past. For example, I destroyed Soul Silver with a bred Gible. Whitney's Miltank got OHKOed by a CB Gabite Outrage!

For Omega Ruby, to blast through the game for tutors, I used a bunch of mons I bred in X for their ORAS mega evos. Needless to say, ingame had a very hard time handling Salamence and Metagross!

I think the most important thing a Pokemon needs to have great and fun ingame use is a good move pool. With a few notable exceptions, the majority of Pokemon have good enough stats to be decent in a playthrough. Some have good enough stats to plough through everything, but for the Pokemon not quite on that level, a good move pool with solid coverage makes them fun for me to use. And like theorymon said, Pokemon that are broken as hell are also great!

Only one requirement in my case: the Pokemon must be one of my liking.

I'm much more lenient with this in spin-off games or randomizer playthroughs (Disregarding the fact I got bored quite quickly of every single time I tried the latter), where it's just those I don't dislike.

Something different than the time before. For example on a recent runthrough of Soul Silver I used Exeggutor, Poliwrath, Mismagius and Mamoswine because they're different. (Still used Typhlosion and Crobat, but hey Crobat's awesome)

Usually, assuming the Pokemon are available to me at the given time (within the game), I like to compile team's based on my favourite Pokemon. I once spent two days continuously catching Gible's until I got a Jolly one (yes it took that long lol). And it made the whole thing more worthwhile because I got to evolve it into Garchomp and use one of my favourite Pokemon in a play through. Sometimes they're favourites by design (Scizor and Darkrai for instance). Other times it's because I loved the use of it from NPC's. Cynthia's Garchomp instantly made me fall in love with the thought of having the Land Shark on my team.

Reactions: JES
For me, I'm pretty simple: I like to use Pokemon that break the hell out of the game!

For example, I was cackling like a madman when I blasted through Pokemon X with Mega Charizard Y (having a little bro helps for trading stones hehehe), and I loved using Infernape and Straptor in gen 4.

I've also done "brokenmons" runthroughs in the past. For example, I destroyed Soul Silver with a bred Gible. Whitney's Miltank got OHKOed by a CB Gabite Outrage!

For Omega Ruby, to blast through the game for tutors, I used a bunch of mons I bred in X for their ORAS mega evos. Needless to say, ingame had a very hard time handling Salamence and Metagross!
Guilty of this in Alpha Sapphire. Even when they refused to listen to me in the first gym, I still managed to beat Roxanne, and went forth to steamroll the whole game. Even Steven was only able to fight me on an even basis (actually it was more like the contest between Hillary and Bernie (which I still haven't quite gotten over). He did good, but he still lost).

This thread brings back fond memories of using Wormadam-Trash in Platinum all those years ago, which to my astonishment, completely pulled its weight in-game. What started as a random Lv. 15 Burmy I picked up right before entering Eterna Forest, became a legendary destroyer of Roserades and Mismagiuses.

It easily compensated for its lack of power and shitty (trashy?) appearance with its excellent typing, good bulk, useful STAB move, and single-handedly KO'ing the Eterna and Hearthome Gyms, which is no easy feat. Its movepool wasn't too shabby either (running Bug Bite / Psybeam / HP Fire / Thief) and my habit of using Thief on random wild Pokemon brought me an early Metal Coat, way before its usual availability at Iron Island. Although Wormadam was eventually replaced by Scizor - thanks to said Metal Coat, ironically - it still holds a special place in my heart. As someone who tries to run through the game without a single Pokemon fainting, I find bulk and defensive typing to be incredibly useful, and Wormadam was truly terrific in that regard.

And a word on Scizor ... it was pound for pound the best Pokemon I've used in-game. Incredible typing, access to priority, boosting and recovery moves, incredibly useful ability, very good bulk, awesome colourful design ... and it was available to me right after Solaceon Town. Boosting to +4 on Cynthia's Spiritomb before sweeping her team with a combo of Bullet Punch + Brick Break was a sweet experience. All thanks to my beloved piece of trash!

I enjoy using Pokemon with good Designs, movepools, and high BSTs, with me particularly preferring Ghost and Steel-type Pokemon over most of the others (Hence why Aegislash and Doublade are probably my favorite Pokemon to use). This is mainly because they feel really rewarding to use. Insanely powerful Pokemon such as Charizard Y and Chandelure are prime examples of this since they have enough power to OHKO everything that stands in their way after a bit of training, which is obviously a satisfying feeling. I still use some Pokemon that lack in the above areas since they have designs I like (i.e. Vanilluxe, KlingKlang, Flareon).

Perhaps my favorite Pokemon to use in my pokemon playthroughs are psuedo legendaries. They require a large amount of commitment since they start out weak, but gradually grow into powerful, fast, and bulky wrecking balls. Platinum Gible in my opinion is probably the most well designed out of all psuedo legendaries; it comes early in a secret cave, rewarding the player for exploring and allows for it to be trained alongside the rest of the player's team instead of forcing the player to spend countless hours grinding them up to be on par with your current team. XY psuedo legendaries were the most convenient, but you didn't really feel rewarded for using them since they just appeared on the pathway rather than a secluded area.

Legendaries are satisfying to catch, but simply not fun to use for me since they trivialize the game as soon as you catch them (Mega Evolutions and Psuedo Legendaries at least require some effort to train before they can start streamrolling through anything). Generic Bug and Bird Pokemon aren't fun for me to use either since their stats end up being really horrible and they don't fell rewarding at all, save for a few exceptions.

Last edited:
the most amusing mons to use in games are the ones that aren't the generic "click attacks and things die" type. Like in y using a resttalk carbink with toxic and power gem, was funny watching countless opposition struggling in vain in effort to damage that fat pebble. I also had a shiny delcatty in alpha sapphire that had wide lens + sing/sucker punch/charge beam/thunder, normalize so it got STAB on all that, certainly amusing to use. Even more amusing when it somehow managed to 6 - 0 wallace's delta episode team completely solo. Reflect/toxic/roost/struggle bug ledian was another good one.

inevitably those attack spamming powerhouses find their way onto all of my teams because I simply like many of them, such as diggersby and porygon-z. It aint bad having them, it's just dull when they're the only thing you use. As much as I might pretend not to I do get some level of satisfaction from devouring the life of opposing pokemon in one clean shot. I just favor more interesting approaches. Variety is fun.

Well I consider a pokemon a good yet fun to use battler in game if they:
1) Have an unique yet good ability (not truant lol) which the mon can make good use of and that allows you to be more creative with your movesets.
2) Is, of course, a nice looking pokemon because if there is one thing that makes in game great is the fact you can use the pokemon you think are the best in the design department and not just in the competitive side of things and because, come on, it is the monster you WILL have to look at the entire adventure (at least since you get it), I want to look at good stuff.
3) Have decent offenses, because playing defensively in game is not nearly as fun as playing online (by the way, I love Stall) for making the battles drag on for way too long, while playing offensively make them much faster paced and even better looking, because in my opinion attacking moves have better animations than status moves.
4) Have evolutions, because to me there is nothing more beautiful than starting an adventure with a little cute pokemon and seeing it grow up during your adventure getting stronger. That is one reason I don't like using legengdaries.
5) Have at least solid bulk, because I don't like using "sheet of paper" mons at all.
6) Have an unique typing which the pokemon have the STABs for.
7) Can breed, yeah this is a pretty weird one. I usually like to breed for certain mons just to trade their eggs to the game I want to beat, thus making them obey me in any level and getting them as early as possible.
8) Have a good nature, because I don't want to use a modest Machamp at all lol. (the breeding helps with this one)
9) Have good coverage, because in game is all about super effective hits.
10) Being male beacuse I like having mons with the same gender as mine just like many trainers in game do.
Examples
Aggron
Nickname: Metalord

Adamant nature
Rock Head
-Head Smash
-Heavy Slam
-Earthquake
-Rock Polish
Aggron is just plain awesome, it accomplishes all the feats a fun in game pokemon needs to have in my opinion, while being my favorite pokemon of all time. It has a unique ability in Rock Head, which it makes good use of with its god like Head Smash, which could only be obtained thanks to its ability to breed (in this case with a male Tyrantrum), has my opinion the absolute greatest design in pokemon history, hell it is a metal dinosaur/Kaiju monster, how can you get more awesome than that. It has a great 110 attack stat (110 is great in game), it has lots of evolutions, being the cuteness that is Aron one of them, has an absolute gargantuan physical bulk (70 HP and 180 def) which makes up for its lack of special bulk, it has a unique typing (Rock/Steel) that despite being rather underwhelming at times, grants it a lot resistances and a STAB on Head Smash and on Heavy Slam, has a great nature and it has some really strong, yet cool moves at its disposal such as the already mentioned Head Smash, Heavy Slam (It is funny to imagine a 360 kg dinosaur smashing a tiny fairy type mon), Earthquake is a beast in game and Rock Polish which fixes Aggron's snail like speed.

Kingdra
Nickname: Horsegon
(I am terrible with names lol)

Modest Nature
Swift Swim
-Scald
-Draco Meteor
-Ice Beam
-Rain Dance
Lets see what my favorite water type has to offer. Despite not having a very unique ability it is still an insanely good ability which Kingdra makes great use of, even in competitive, it has a awesome and at the same time elegant design at its disposal, maybe because I like seahorses, has a decent 95 special attack stat which is buffed while it is in rain along with its speed, it also has a lot of evolutions, just like Aggron, which starts of with the really cute Horsea, it has a very decent all around bulk, with 75 HP, 95 def and 95 sdef, it has awesome and yet unique typing which is Water Dragon that is even cool sounding and is only shared with a legendary mon (just wow), has a good nature thanks to my male modest Magikarp holding an everstone (yes, this Kingdra's father is a Magikarp), has an unreal coverage in game with some pretty cool moves such as the broken Scald and Ice Beam, which are cool just because I can actually see them coming out from kingdra's mouth, Draco Meteor because yes and Rain Dance to abuse Swift Swim as much as possible.

If there are some beautiful things from in game that these battle simulators will never replicate is the freedom you have to use anything you want just because of the cool factor, to see a pokemon coming from an egg and then become a complete badass and of course creating a bound with them, just like I did with these two and others.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
If there are some beautiful things from in game that these battle simulators will never replicate is the freedom you have to use anything you want just because of the cool factor, to see a pokemon coming from an egg to a complete badass and of course creating a bound with them, just like I did with these two and others.
Thanks for reading.
You have that freedom in Showdown as well (just depends on the tier you're playing), though the latter two is why I prefer actually making my teams on a handheld and not using legendaries.

You have that freedom in Showdown as well (just depends on the tier you're playing), though the latter two is why I prefer actually making my teams on a handheld and not using legendaries.
Yeah, I am sorry for saying that, I usually always see OU as the only way to play competitively sometimes, despite often playing ubers and PU, which is obviously not the case lol.

I tend to prefer pokemon who can evolve over the single stage pokemon (with a few exceptions). I think it's because I like having visual evidence of your pokemon's growth as the game progresses. It's cool to be able to see physical changes in pokemon as they get stronger. This applies not only to my own pokemon but other trainer's pokemon too. It's cool to see members of your rival's team evolve as the story progresses. It's nice to rematch trainers, gym leaders, etc. and see that their pokemon have gotten stronger and evolved.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I just use something if I want to use it. I usually go into the game with a blank slate and decide I want to use 'mons X, Y and Z when I encounter them. In game, my final team usually ends up being starter+early game rodent+early game bird+Surf user+filler. I'll only use 'mons that I like, with some repeat party members including Cyndaquil (this line is borked Johto and you don't even need to catch it, like holy balls), Furret, Empoleon, Staraptor, Rapidash, Golem, Machamp and Wobbuffet. I tend to stray away from HM slaves outside of Cut wherever possible, and even then I usually have a Cut user in my party for most of the game 'cause I can just go to the move deleter once I get far enough into the game and you only really need 3 moves max up until that point. For me, a good/fun in-game team needs to meet the following criteria:
  • Pokémon I like/could see growing on me
  • Pokémon which are flexible in terms of what they can do in the field
  • A good balance of types and in-battle/party view roles (I ain't doing typespam when the AI doesn't even switch, and having stuff like Milk Drink, Teleport, Fly etc. is incredibly useful between matches)
Generally speaking I like most 'mons, and as such I have a huge range of teams that I have used in the past. Probably the most fun I've ever had though was on my first ever playthrough of Heart Gold (my first 'mons game) where I played like a child and caught literally everything I saw. I want to be able to do that again 'cause sometimes I wonder if I've forgotten what exactly it was that made me fall in love with this franchise 5 years ago.

For me, it's a combination of sentiment, uniqueness, flavor, and in-game viability. I'll start at the end and go backwards.

I try not to consider in-game viability too much, since I worry that I'll miss out on a Pokemon that I like despite its initial weakness, but sometimes it just can't be overcome and the game becomes less fun because the Mon is dragging the team down. I tried to use a Bibarel as a serious teammate once because I felt bad for the guy, but it just couldn't keep up. Even worse was my Drifloon/Drifblim in X. Drifloon and Drifblim are two of my favorite Pokemon, but because they couldn't get any flying STAB better than Gust for a long time, I just couldn't enjoy using them in battle as much as I wanted to. It made me really sad to constantly have to turn to another teammate after they were KO'd. So a Pokemon has to be able to function in the game so that I can enjoy it.

Flavor is the next most important, as it's often what I'll see first in-game. I'm a sucker for a cool design or an interesting concept - Flygon's sleekness as a desert mirage or Dusknoir's strange and eerie massiveness both stood out to me when I played the games. Tyrantrum is a T-Rex. Flavor and design are the reasons I choose Fire type starters so often - they're just cool! Maybe the Bulbasaur line will help me sweep the first two gyms, but if I pick Charmander, I get to have a freakin' dragon!

After flavor is uniqueness. I don't know why I'm drawn to things that I at least personally perceive to be either outside the norm or outside my expectations. I'm drawn to Spiritomb for having what seemed to me to be a weird concept - it's a Pokemon comprised of spirits, unlike anything I'd ever seen before. Flygon I like for similar reasons - before Garchomp it was the only Ground/Dragon type, and it's got that weird bug-desert mirage thing going on. Drifloon and Drifblim caught my eye at first for being balloon ghosts, which was something I'd never seen or even thought of. I don't even know what Dunsparce is, and I love it for that. This extends to strange abilities - Malamar's Contrary seemed so weird the first time I saw it, and Riolu's Prankster is fun to abuse with Copycat.

But most important of all is sentiment. Pokemon that I get attached to become favorites, despite everything else. The first time I beat the Kanto Elite Four in Leaf Green involved a Charizard, a Parasect, a Snorlax, and a Slowbro at key moments, and I will enjoy using those Pokemon more than most others for probably the rest of my Pokemon-playing time. Charizard was cool, Parasect helped me get past Misty (and my habit of overleveling kept it viable despite its stats and typing), Snorlax took on threats no one else could thanks to his neutral typing, and Slowbro swept Lance. Some of them have a leg up in other areas - Snorlax and Slowbro get points in uniqueness, flavor, and viability - but others like Parasect and Charizard are pure sentiment. Well, until Charizard got those mega-evolutions, but you get the idea.

Maybe I'm being sappy, but what I'm attached to - what I like or share a game experience with - is what it comes down to. Aggron's not the best Mon ever, but I've taken a shine to him and his Head Smash ever since I saw him OHKO half a team. Emboar's not much compared to Infernape or Blaziken, but after coming through in a pinch more than once I wouldn't want to replace it. Pokemon's just a game... so I'll have fun with it and be as sentimental as I please!

I don't really like using legendaries, as I prefer to go through the game with normal Pokemon, for whatever reason.

I always try to have a diverse team, sometimes with an HM slave thrown in there. I like having at least one thing with a cool boosting move, as that gets me out of a lot of tight situations (DD Altaria against Cynthia in Platinum, and QD Lilligant against N Final in Black). I also try to use a lot of broken things, but occasionally I'll use really awful Pokemon just for the heck of it (Protip: Don't try to use Unown in Gold). I like having one Flier on my team, and there's almost always at least one reliable flier that can pull its weight on the team (Pidgeot in Gens 1-2, Swellow in RSE, Altaria/Staraptor in DPP, Archeops in Black, Aerodactyl in XY).

For me, a major selling point is learning good level-up moves in a timely fashion. Golem, Camerupt, and Whiscash may not be great competitively, but I find them quite appealing in-game because they all learn Magnitude early on, and then learn earthquake later on, but still well before you'd have the TM for earthquake.

Drillbur is an even better example. While it doesn't learn a useable ground-type move quite as early as the others, it still learns Dig at level 19, and then Earthquake at level 36 (33 if you delay evolution!). On top of this, it also learns Rock Slide at level 29! It's a bit unusual for a non rock-type to learn rock-type moves leveling up. Keep in mind that the games Drillbur appears in have quite a steep level curve, so you're getting SlideQuake quite early in your adventure, from a pokemon that's actually good competitively. Oh yeah, and let's not forget about Hone Claws and Swords Dance. While the gen VI games give you setup move TMs fairly early, in gen V options for setup-sweepers were quite scarce early on.

I find it very difficult not to use Excadrill every time I play through a gen V game.

What I've learnt from playing Pokemon games over and over again, it feels much nicer using your favorite Pokemon than wasting hours trying to find that one Pokemon with the perfect nature, or leveling up for an egg move. I like underrated Pokemon but sometimes I can't grow too attached to them if their stats are bad, I'm impatient and i prefer Pokemon that can OHKO something near its level for a smooth run.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The only mons I enjoy using ingame are those that can wipe the game. Yet at the same time, I'm compelled to create some kind of a type balance within my team members. I usually attempt to create a team using primarily, if not only, the resources in that game, in such a way that would break the game the hardest, but not necessarily the fastest. Part of me wants to grind (BW Excadrill being one of the few times where I grinded a single mon to pretty much solo the game), but the other part wants to make the team look pretty. It usually works out, however.

My Pokemon choices ingame are partially influenced by how they perform in competitive. I like to use my ingame time to "grow closer" or so to speak to these potential powerhouses, and I like to minimize the differences in my "for fun" and "competitive" preferences. This helps me enjoy competitive pkmn after I'm done enjoying the game. I will, however, note that I do spend a lot of time ingame - I just like to smash through the trainers in the storyline so I can enjoy the story more, as well as any postgame features that require some investment.

Last edited:
For a casual in-game run, I don't really have any criteria for what I catch. I just catch what I do, I know it sounds weird but often I catch trash as filler, and then get really attracted to the Pokemon and end up keeping it. I don't want to go out of my way to get super broken Pokemon because that ruins the difficulty of the games (esp in recent generations which lack difficulty). For me, there's no fun in steamrolling a game outright. I tend to create a FWG core at least, so that probably influences my decision. Sometimes the funnest Pokemon to use are the worst, just to see how far you can get with them. (Have yet to try a full Crapmon run, but have been considering it for a while).

I like Pokemon that you can catch relatively early but then still pull their weight through most, if not all, of the game.

Being fast and strong means less time wasted on healing. If something is so bulky that it can take on pretty much anything, but then you have to track back to the Pokemon centre after every battle, then it quickly meets the PC box.

I think playing high risk, high reward is more fun than guaranteeing a win by a safer strategy.

For the most part, I find legendaries boring. They're either underwhelming, or so strong that any sense of tension is lost. Though I did really like using Yveltal and Primal Groudon in XY/ORAS. Though that might be because...

I like Pokemon that can take on opponents of a much higher level and come out on top. I don't remember much of my teams for XY or ORAS, but I remember in Diamond I ruined the Elite Four with a newly evolved Garchomp (boost up, heal, wreck everything), and the mons that pulled the most weight in Black and White were Sheer Force Darmanitan and Archeops.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Bumping this thread because of a Reddit thread DHR-107 sent me, and I figured it should be discussed somewhere since the results are pretty interesting. And this thread appears to be the most on-topic place for it:

[Survey Results] Most/least used Pokémon across all the regions

Basically, the results of a survey. The creator asked people which Pokémon they had been using for their playthroughs throughout the ages, then gathered the results neatly and graphically here. Further details in the linked post. If some of the graphs don't appear in the link, try force-refreshing the page.

Not surprisingly, the list is dominated by starters. Since people are handed one of the three at the beginning of the game and implicitly told to keep using it, it makes sense that they figure at the top of the rankings. Few people tend to ditch their starters, and if one falls in popularity, it just means the others are more popular. What's more interesting is the non-starter Pokémon people tend to favour.

It's a little too late in the evening for me to analyse every trend in the graphs, but I'd like to point you to the Sinnoh, BW2 and to a lesser extent Johto graphs. Notice how Staraptor, Luxray, and Lucario see higher usage than all the starters of their respective regions, and Ampharos is only beaten by Typhlosion (which turns out to be the most popular starter ever among respondents - two thirds of them have tried it out at least once). This means that people were more likely to have caught those Pokémon than used the most popular starter. They're such staples of a playthrough that they are likely make their ways to players' teams no matter which starter was picked.

Of course it helps that Shinx, Starly and Mareep are early-game Pokémon, but that's not the only answer. There are tons of early-game Pokémon around, after all. No, these ones are good early-game Pokémon. They have a cute first stage, a final stage with... various degrees of badassery, and stats and movepools to pull their weight all the way into the Pokémon League. They can even learn useful HM moves. As such, they are extremely likely to secure themselves one of your six team slots.

...and actually, I'm not sure if that is good or bad design. It shows pretty poor diversity, after all. Early on is when you have the lowest opportunity cost when picking team mates. By the time you reach the first town and watch the catching tutorial, you are likely to seek out a team mate for your starter. There are five idle party slots gaping at you, and that handfull of free Poké Balls burns in your pocket. And if a good opportunity presents itself on Route 2, why not catch it?

However, if that good opportunity is such an obvious choice that fits on every team, your options become restricted somehow. It diminishes diversity. Starter, Starly, Shinx... that's half your team filled already, with Pokémon you're likely to stick with until the end credits roll. Then you have three slots available for the rest of the variety of the region. It might not be a bad thing for the players, but to the designers, this can't be a desirable outcome.

Then again, the game does intend you to catch Pokémon early on. I think most of us, when we play casually, fill a teamslot or two before we reach the first Gym. You're sort of meant to pick a couple of Pokémon from the early routes, and you're likely to stick with them too (unless one of those Pokémon is the Designated Early Bug, which is designed for obsolence after the first third of the game or so), mostly for psychological reasons. You're "intented" to pick Pokémon from the rather limited pool of early-game Pokémon anyway. And if people are holding back some team slots until later in the game, they are going to want to catch the best Pokémon they can from the early-game pool.

I think the problem, if any, is that Starly and Shinx are so much better/more attractive than the other options available at the time, that they end up being chosen every time. Or at least "alarmingly" often. And so you end up with more than two thirds of the players chosing to spend two of their team slots on the same two Pokémon families among ~200 different Pokémon families in the game. Two team slots out of how many is hard to say, considering replays. But considering that they're more popular than all the starters, it seems like players who play the game thrice to check out all starters, are more likely than not to use both Staraptor and Shinx more than once. The problem isn't their qualities in itself, it's the lack of comparable options at that point in the game.

So there's a bit of a dilemma there: Obvious Choice 'Mons are cool to use for players, but they hamper diversity. But if you keep good Pokémon out of the early routes, players may feel that all their options kind of suck, and enjoy the game less (I hit that feeling hard later on in Sun/Moon, trying to fill out my final team slot near the end of Ula'Ula). If you put tons of good/great Pokémon in early, players might be likely to fill their teams up before the first Gym, in which case the rest of the game's Pokémon have a harder time fighting for attention (again, I think Sun and Moon fell a bit into this trap; it seems like most of the good options were available on MeleMele Island - perhaps the designers were counting on players having filled their team by the time they left Akala?).

Do you find anything interesting in those statistics? I'd comment more, but it's way past midnight over here. Perhaps tomorrow...

Kind of a derail from the Obvious Choice thing Codraroll brought up, but I found it interesting that in Sinnoh, both of the Dawn Stone evos (Froslass and Gallade) were both more used than their counterparts. Although Glalie might not have much of a draw, Gardevoir is quite a powerful Psychic-type in its own right, and given that the Kirlia you've been slaving over for all this time has a lot of Psychic-type special STAB Gardevoir might be of more immediate use. There's probably a flaw in that reasoning though...

Also interesting is that in those same stats, Togekiss is neither near the top nor the bottom despite being an early-game egg (Lucario, by contrast, is a late game Egg that requires a happiness evo and a lot of babying)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)