What UU pokemon are least common BUT have potential?

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Golduck: Hypnosis and Encore are absolutely hilarious when you've got your entry hazards up (and most successful UU teams these days completely focus on such) since nobody sane would expect either. Either move is absolutely fantastic for setting up Calm Mind, but I use mine Scarfed with Hidden Power [GRASS]; it absolutely decimates Kabutops, the main sweeper in Rain Dance. Cloud Nine will prevent Swift Swim from outspeeding Golduck, and +2 Life Orb Aqua Jet will not OHKO (although most press the Stone Edge button.. hehe). Ludicolo's a huge problem, though - I don't think Kabutops and Ludicolo have any shared weaknesses and it wouldn't OHKO anyway (although Hypnosis will help you a lot there). The lack of Trick is a dissapointment, though, as is the huge frailty; 80/78/85 base defenses will get you 2HKOd by many things in UU.

Well, what do we have here...

I play with a NU team for 3 months, that was surprisingly effective on UU( REALLY effective is say, even with Cresselia and P-Z around.

That's my team:

Armaldo lead-a mix of Rhyperior and Cloyster. Rock Blast, Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, good defense, and a better typing... it doesn't resist much types, but it also isn't weak to many. Before Rhyperior came to UU and Cloyster was discovered, it was THE lead.

Golduck: Decent speed for UU, CM, Encore. Kind of like offensuve Suicune without the bulk, but with Encore and Psychic. It is also one the better pokes to stop a Rain rampage thanks to Cloud Nine. It was chosen just because of that... but ended up being essencial to my team, being a special sweeper and a Encorer.

Scarf Primeape: one of the better revenge killers out there. Simple as that. Plays exactly like Flygon , dishing out powerful Close Combats and U-Turning many times. Also immune to sleep as a plus.

Entei: i use "Crotei". You won't believe how effective this set is. CM all the way up, walls things with a nice 115/85 defenses and possibly burning up things with Lava Plume, giving you a nice edge (Hitmontop Close Combat doing 17% when burned? Yeah), RestTalk away. Pressure adds up with everything.

Skuntank: Better Pursuit user IMO. Priority attack, Explosion, nice typing. Mismagius cries. Alakazam throws it's spoons in despair. Wrong Choiced pokes have no Choice at all.

Articuno: Subroost Moltres is annoying? So is Articuno. Moltres counts with a way better defensive typing, but Articuno has better defenses, and it Toxics what is meant to be Toxiced: bulky waters. Struggles with Registeel though, but Entei completely walls Regi, in a way that not even Explosion saves it (ironically), so...

The team hates Raikou and Haze Milotics... not everything is perfect.

I use an Armaldo lead too. It actually works quite well, taking out Froslass with Rock Blast and Knock Off, and can then spin away the Spikes. Plus, it's pretty bulky and has decent typing.

I also use a lead Kabutops. Does the same thing as Armaldo, but gets priority in exchange for being unable to hit through subs.

I was going to use Skuntank, but its analysis says Drapion is way better because it can use Earthquake to beat Steels. Do you use Fire Blast to beat Steels on yours? And I'd assume you run the Cb set, correct? Anyway, I'll give it a try over my Absol.

I use an Armaldo lead too. It actually works quite well, taking out Froslass with Rock Blast and Knock Off, and can then spin away the Spikes. Plus, it's pretty bulky and has decent typing.

I also use a lead Kabutops. Does the same thing as Armaldo, but gets priority in exchange for being unable to hit through subs.

I was going to use Skuntank, but its analysis says Drapion is way better because it can use Earthquake to beat Steels. Do you use Fire Blast to beat Steels on yours? And I'd assume you run the Cb set, correct? Anyway, I'll give it a try over my Absol.
The analysis... is wrong lol
Slightly better spcial bulk, more atk(Adamant) and priority is enough to Skuntank to be better IMO.
You lose against steels, but there's another pokes too on your tem right? (Whiscash is one of the better ones, almost always getting a DD against any steel not named Steelix).
Not to say Drapion is Dugtrio bait.
What to say about Explosion... is a perfect move for Pursuiters. Pursuit the ghost, you're free to Explode on something bothering you.

And Skuntank has Fire Blast. It isn't totally defenseless against them.

All in all, Skuntank wins the Pursuit contest.
But only that contest, as Drapion is better on every other set.

I run a LO set with Pursuit/Explosion/Poison Jab/Sucker Punch(so no Fire Blast).

Arcanine is one of the most used UUs, and the second best Fire type in the tier. *sticks middle finger up at Moltres*
Apologies, It's just I usually see teams running Houndooms as their fire type, and I am yet to see someone running an Arcanine. >_> Guess that it's just inexperience

Armaldo is still "the" Rock-type lead in my opinion. In addition to the (for whatever reason) unexpected Rock Blast taking down many focus sashers, most notably Froslass, it gets STAB X-Scissor to whale on bulky Psychic leads that give so many people trouble, and most important of all, both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin to give you the vital hazard advantage. While its typing doesn't make it the best spinner (without Wish support), it's definitely my favorite UU lead since Roserade got banished to OU.

Espeon is deadly with Choice Specs, and is barely used in UU(in my experience). STAB CS Psychic puts out more damage than you'd expect.
Ninetales is, at first glance, a worse Houndoom, but she boasts Energy Ball and Hypnosis and I love using her. Nasty Plot up and sweep.
Another Pokemon is the previously mentioned Miltank, especially her Curse set, which has swept teams. Many underestimate her speed.

Armaldo is still "the" Rock-type lead in my opinion. In addition to the (for whatever reason) unexpected Rock Blast taking down many focus sashers, most notably Froslass, it gets STAB X-Scissor to whale on bulky Psychic leads that give so many people trouble, and most important of all, both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin to give you the vital hazard advantage. While its typing doesn't make it the best spinner (without Wish support), it's definitely my favorite UU lead since Roserade got banished to OU.
Multi-hit moves aren't supposed to break sashes. I think somebody told me it did on Shoddy because of a glitch.

I think I might end up making a completely NU team. I already use Ninetales, Armaldo, Venomoth, Skuntank, and some others on normal teams, I'd might as well make a completely NU team.

Espeon is deadly with Choice Specs, and is barely used in UU(in my experience). STAB CS Psychic puts out more damage than you'd expect.
Ninetales is, at first glance, a worse Houndoom, but she boasts Energy Ball and Hypnosis and I love using her. Nasty Plot up and sweep.
Another Pokemon is the previously mentioned Miltank, especially her Curse set, which has swept teams. Many underestimate her speed.
Specs Espeon is powerful, but you have to realize the risk of using it. If you knock out one of my Pokemon with Psychic, and I switch in a Dark-type Pursuit user (which all Pursuit users are minus Scizor, but he's in OU), Espeon is gone. You have to play smart with Espy and try to bait in your opponents Pursuit users before spamming Psychic. Not to mention that Spiritomb annihilates it. Out of all of the Pursuit users, Spiritomb is the one you absolutely HAVE TO get rid of before using Espy.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Erm. Can't you use Choice Specs Alakazam who's faster AND has a better movepool?

Seeing that Alakazam is the reason why Espeon is NU now...

Alakazam is a frailer, faster, slightly stronger Espeon with Focus Blast, Taunt and Encore, but no Baton Pass.
Basically that's all the differences about Alakazam and Espeon. So people use the best one... Alakazam it is.

Really: if you want to use Espeon, use Baton Pass.

Cacturne with Sandstorm. Give that guy a focus sash and you're good to go, until you get 2HKO'd.

But as long as it stays upright it does lots of harm with flinchspamming needle arm, sucker punch, and whatever else.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Basically, Armaldo is outclassed by Rhyperior, which has more power on Rock Blast, an equally-strong Bug move (Megahorn as opposed to STAB X-Scissor) and STAB EQ for coverage. Moreover, Rhyperior's stats are better and, though it doesn't get Rapid Spin, Armaldo wouldn't be Spinning against really any UU leads - Froslass blocks Spin, Omastar is more likely to try and Surf you into oblivion etc.

Armaldo beats Froslass with Rock Blast and X-Scissor. Then it can spin away the rocks. Armaldo isn't meant to be a hard-hitter like Rhyperior, it's meant to be a supporter. Have you ever tried using an Armaldo lead?

The typing and Rapid Spin are the things going for Armaldo.

I use a 252 hp/252 sp.def Impish Armaldo which gives Armaldo equally bulky stats from both sides (258 def/258 sp.def IIRC). That 258 sp.def is something Rhyperior only dreams of having it, and with it's typing it beats some leads better (lead Moltres can't get a KO on Armaldo with it's fire attacks... that's nice, agree?).

Also, 125 atk isn't that far away from Rhyperior. But of course, Armaldo takes a bulkier approach while Rhyperior uses it's huge atk stat.
Rapid Spin is one thing to differ both.

Like i said, Armaldo is more like a mix of Cloyster and Rhyperior, although not as good as both are.

It's defenses are both 259 with that spread, not 258.

Although I'm trying to decide if Kabutops is better than Armaldo. Armaldo is bulkier can break subs, but Kabutops has priority and isn't weak to Stealth Rock. As we should all know, spinners have to switch into rocks all the time.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I personally enjoy the SD Cacturne. Once you got one a sub up, you can SD and start spamming Focus Punch or Sucker Punch. I've swept entire teams without losing a single team member. Sometimes, though, people will expect you to sub, so SD from the start is also helpful. Just making sure you have a single SD can ensure you OHKO a few of their pokemon.

SD Cacturne is far from ensuring anything. Even if you sub if opposition just keeps attacking with seomething packing even dexent offence, getting a Swords dance may prove to be difficult.
Even if you get a SD Focus/Sucker punch combo is far from guarenteed to work, as it requres exellent predicion.
Also, if opposition sacs one mon they are pretty much guraenteed to get a status move on you, which may end/hinder your sweep.
Also, facing ghosts or something 4x resisting Sucker punch narrows your possibilities, unless you are behind sub (which isn´t too easy to accomplish if you also want +2 Atk).
Also, even marginally faster priority attacks (expecially Mach punch and Vacuum wave) pose a threat to a Cactrune, even with +2 Atk. Sub will protect you for one turn, but if you just got up a sub while they switched to Hitmontop or something similar, there isn´going to be any SDancing yet.

So I might just go back to my roots and go with an NU balanced team for UU:

Seeing there is a bit of talk about Cacturne, the cactus-funny looking guy <_< Is Sandstorm an essential move to use? Because of it's sand veil?

I like Choice Band Hitmonchan. His big selling point is Iron Fist, which boosts focus punch to 180 bp. (270 bp with STAB) Nothing that isn't a ghost wants to switch into that. It's so strong, you really don't have to predict switches beyond "is it a ghost?". Everything else gets pounded.

For refrence: the pokemon that have a 4x fighting resist in UU/NU.
airiados
beedril
dustox
venomoth
butterfree
vespiquen
beautifly
mothim
masquerain
scyther
xatu
golbat
yanma

All of these switches are covered by the elemental punches. I'd recommend Fire Punch because it covers all the UU ghosts in one move, whereas ice punch or thunderpunch would have troubles with froslass or rotom.

Then, I feel like mach punch, because priority is good.

In the last slot, you can run close combat for reliable power, sky uppercut for weaker, less-reliable power that doesn't lower your defenses, drain punch, for healing(108bp w/t iron fist and STAB) , and earthquake for coverage, rock slide, stone edge, revenge, stuff like that.

Yeah, Hitmonchan is awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)