Which pokemon do you start with?

I can come up with teams now. The main problem I run into is. I cant find a decent starter for the life of me. What starters do you use and why?

Some common starters are gyarados, metagross, salamence, ninjask, jolteon, typhlosion, hippowdon, dootakun, azelf, crobat, weavile and aerodactyl.

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Impish, 252HP / 76DEF / 80 SPDEF / 100 ATK
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Knock Off
-Thunder Wave

Doesn't really work all the time. But I like Regifail.

Wasn't there a thread a while back called "What's your lead" or something like that? If so, then I don't think this is needed.

I use:

Gengar @ LO
Timid 252/252

TBolt/ WoW
Shadow Ball
HP Ice
Explosion

Blissey killer. I sometimes swap out TBolt for WoW if all I want to do if fuck with the enemy.

scarf medicham
hi jump kick (probably gonna change to brick break, 70% dmg on a miss isnt good)
thunder punch
ice punch
psycho cut

can ohko much everything in the game except specific tanks (hippowdon, bronzong, cresselia, skarmory, swapmert)

the only hard thing about it is deciding whether or not to thunderpunch that gyarados as an electivire may well be coming

hariyama(thick fat)
-knock off
-counter
-stone edge
-force palm

Stops weavile lead, paralyzes with force palm, and knocks off items. Helps my team with the final sweep.

Meh, I'll list a few.

Weavile - Fast, eats the 4x weak dragons alive, often carries a focus sash to survive an initial attack since with it's speed it'll usually be able to get a second hit on the opponent.

Salamence - Intimidates physical attackers, fairly fast, with Specs or Band it can hit extremely hard right off the bat.

Gyarados - Intimidate, it's fairly durable as well.

Jolteon/Zapdos - Fairly fast, can scare some common leads off, Sub/Agility on the switch, and pass it on.

Tyranitar/Hippo - If you're using a SS team and want to get the weather on your side ASAP. CBtar also hits a lot of things hard, and Hippodown is decent for setting up SR.

Metagross - It will very rarely be OHKO'd, I see a lot of people using it to set up SR.

Breloom (anti-starter set) - Can become immune to status effect starters after protecting for a turn, and can sleep opponents afterwards, Focus Punch on the switch, etc.

Machamp, Jolly nature, 252spd/252atk @ choice scarf (No Guard)
Dynamicpunch'
Ice Punch
Thunderpunch
Earthquake

Outspeeds stuff up to Jolly/252 unscarfed garchomp. 2HKO bulky Gyarados, 3HKOs the majority of physical walls with dynamicpunch, a 100BP move with a 100% chance to confuse, running off of one of the highest attack stats in the game.

i use a swampert @ leftovers. dont remember exact evs but its a lot in def and hp and a few atk. moveset:
-roar
-stealth rock
-avalanche
-earthquake

basically he sets up stealth rock and roars away anything trying to stat up as long as they dont taunt. it really ruins ninjask leads.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Yanmega @ Life Orb
-Speed Boost
Hypnosis
Bug Buzz
Protect
Air Slash

I know everyone and their moms pack a Yanmega counter, but it's still fun to use.

I use
Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Modest | Synch
252 Sp.Atk 252 Speed, 6 HP
Counter
GrassKnot
Psychic
Encore

Grassknot is to kill the common starter Swampert like blacklots
counter if for physical starters who try to take advantage of 'zams fraility
encore is for statupers such as ninjask or weavile swords dance or yamegas protect
psychic for ghost type starters mainly mismagius and gengar plus machamp leads

Tbh this is the best start i found and as you can see it will probably beat most of the other starters in this thread

Swampert
Impish@Leftovers
252 Def, 252 Hp, 4 Atk
Earthquake
Avalanche
Stone Edge
Stealth Rock

It works really well and its not trapped by Weavile (coughgengarcough)
Note: I got gengar in my team.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I only have 2 different leads on the 4 or so teams I've made, but I'll list them both:

Shuckle @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 SDEF/6 DEF
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
0 spd IV
Ability: Sturdy

~ Encore
~ Knock Off
~ Stealth Rock
~ Rest

Sets up rocks, knocks off items, encores their stat-ups so I can switch over to Dugtrio or something, gives me an early advantage. Rest to recover health and status effects.

Roserade @Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP/40 DEF/232 SPD
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
Ability: Natural Cure

~ Leaf Storm
~ Rest
~ Spikes
~ Stun Spore

Even with 0 Sp. Atk EVs, Leaf Storm still kills with 286 sp. attack. Sets up one set of spikes by scaring away common leads such as Swampert, sets up another set of spikes by taking a hit, NaturalRest, comes in to set up the last layer of spikes, and if something comes in to taunt it, they get destroyed by Leaf Storm. Paralyzes anything it can't kill very easily, and for team support. Support Roserade is a lot tougher to use than the other variations, but it's one of the spikers that can really hurt things as well.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Froslass has proven to be the most useful starter for me. It always catches things off gaurd. T-Bolt / Ice Beam / Shadow Ball / Destiny Bond has been by far the best set I've ever used. However, this is just my preference. And really, it's up to what you wish to counter more.

Gengar@Choice Scarf
timid 252sp.att/252speed
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Hypnosis

well, with 525 speed only choice scarfed 111+base max speed pokes will be going first. Basically, I like to get a hypnosis right off the bat, but unfortunetly my match might be decided on a 70 percent move.

Wasn't there a thread a while back called "What's your lead" or something like that? If so, then I don't think this is needed.

I use:

Gengar @ LO
Timid 252/252

TBolt/ WoW
Shadow Ball
HP Ice
Explosion

Blissey killer. I sometimes swap out TBolt for WoW if all I want to do if fuck with the enemy.
I use that aswell exept i have destiny bond over explosion and hypnosis over hidden power ice but hidden power ice is good for dragon leads. Or somtimes i just lead with a specsmence.

Just lead with somthing nice and speedy.

Scizor @ focus sash
252 HP 252 SPD 6 ATK
Technician

-Swords Dance
-Agility
-Double Hit
-Baton Pass

I usually use this thing to baton pass, and kill other BPassing leads like Ninjask. Helps get my Crawdaunt into play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)