Why don't we turn NFE into a tier of its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the Section of Pokemon stuck in a useless spot in NFE. Some NU pokemon appear to be much worse than The Pokemon in this spot. I decided we could rename it to something like NU2 or something more creative if anybody can think of something. We could move some up to NU, some NU pokemon down to NFE, and turn it in to a tier.

The division
Doing this would create two tiers with HUNDREDS of Pokemon in them, and some Pokemon would just become standard and seen on every team, while others would never see use even by doing this. We could therefore take some of the Pokemon out and put them in another NFE tier. To decide what goes where, I thought we could do some kind of beta test where several battlers would have battles, then give feedback about what kind of pokemon are useful and what kind should not be seen at all.

After say, 2 months or so, we could all analyze the data and put together the new NU and NU2 tiers. All these Pokemon could see use after a lifetime of being outclassed by their evolutions and being too good to be in LC.

The rules
I think we could keep the standard clauses, and all clauses used in NU. We could also, as per usual, add something. My friend and I have had matches in this style where we could only use Pokemon currently divided in to NFE, and we found Eviolite to be far too powerful. I think we could start with something like a clause that limits the number of Pokemon holding Eviolite, or that bans eviolite all together.

So, what are your thoughts? Should we do this? If so, I'll start us off. My team used a Vibrava, and I found it FAR too powerful to be NFE, and it should be NU. I used a Jolly max speed max attack one, and with a choice band, it KO'd everything and its brother.

Though I'm not a tiering contributor, I think the usual problem in giving a new rule set official support is popularity. New official rule sets aren't created over night, they have to grow popular to the point where people want support for it. If no one's playing the rule set, why make it official?

I'd advise you that if you want any sort of official support for this rule set, you start up a thread in the Other Metagames forum. If it grows large enough, it may garner official support in the same way that Little Cup did. Also, you might want to start off with a simple rule set before diving into all kinds of complex future plans.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, Other Metagames is definitely the place to go once you've got a solid ruleset up. The big problem with an NFE metagame would be the popularity but if it garners enough interest it can take off from there.

Good luck!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Both of the above users don't really know what they're talking about ;)

This actually exists; it's called Middle Cup. There's a few modifications to the metagames. Namely, all Pokemon are set to level 50 and Combusken and Eviolite are both allowed here on Smogon (there aren't on PO's Middle Cup). It's located within the Other Metagames subforum though, so definitely check out that forum. The metagame is run by DTC, so drop him a message if you're interested in picking up some momentum with the metagame. So if you're interested in getting this off the ground, I recommend you post your thoughts on the metagame in that thread!

Best of luck =)

EDIT: A few people chatted with me on IRC to point out that this isn't the same as Middle Cup. While that is true, the general idea of what he's hoping to accomplish is Middle Cup. While it isn't a direct list off of NU (like PU), it still functions with NFE mons and no LC mons. As an OM moderator, I doubt I would accept this as a metagame simply because it has too many similarities with Middle Cup. If you want to get this tier going, I recommend working with Middle Cup. Smogon has already expressed that it won't make any other tiers off of NU for 5th gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)