Worst Pokemon Sprites?

I don't know, I like the colors and if you zoom in it looks pretty good (in my opinion). It probably looked a lot worse on the actual cartridge though.

Missdreavus is way worse in crystal. I'll post that one later

Edit: I lied, I guess childhood me remembers it differently.

Anyways, Misdreavus has always looked weird to me- i mean, mismagius is sick, but Misdreavus is just, weird. I mean, what's up w/ it's flying eyebrow, things?and its current model is especially weird- they like, separate way out from its head. It's just... Odd.

Last edited:

Enough about bad shinies for a while. Let's take a look at this weird blob that is the Misdreavus sprite from Gold.
I can't even think about this mon without the urge to make a "It Doesn't Affect Misdreavus" reference. This sprite is downright awful, however, and it does affect Misdreavus.

Regarding backsprites, the first time I saw this one I was very confused as well:

It's an iconic Pokemon for an iconic game, so you might easily guess it, but for me (someone who started out relatively spoiled by HGSS's nice graphics), it was very difficult to understand which Pokemon this was supposed to be.

I used to think the appendage at the right from the head was its ear, and that the white horn-like thing was in fact that, a horn. I was wrong.

Hmm... You're right about that. Perhaps it just seems more important to me because I really like second-stage evolutions? I usually appreciate them even more than fist-stages or final-stages for some reason.

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
lifeAlso, am I the only one who LIKES most of XY's models, INCLUDING the flying ones? I always wished they were flying in their sprite. The only exception is Xatu, really.
Hmm, I can't say I'm a fan of flying models for the sake of Sky Battles. Most of them look very unnatural and forced, especially those huge gliding Pokemon which make you wonder how they can even keep aloft without flapping their wings or going at high speed.

To make things worse, most of them actually looked really cool back as grounded sprite, with Tropius being one of my favorite designs from Gen 3. Now they just appear to be hanging lazily from invisible strings. :/

Hmm, I can't say I'm a fan of flying models for the sake of Sky Battles. Most of them look very unnatural and forced, especially those huge gliding Pokemon which make you wonder how they can even keep aloft without flapping their wings or going at high speed.

To make things worse, most of them actually looked really cool back as grounded sprite, with Tropius being one of my favorite designs from Gen 3. Now they just appear to be hanging lazily from invisible strings. :/
Actually, I really
Like the flying models, but the lack of flapping wings is slightly concerning

Edit: also, how is tropius able to fly using just its front leaves? It's mass to surface area ratio is wayyy off

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

Call it a hunch, but I think I know more about the inflexibility of Dragonfly tails than the artist that did Platinum Yammega does. (That's not saying much coming from a guy with a river in his back yard, but still.)

Edit: Apparently I don't know about the flexibility of Dragonflies...

Platinum Gallade isn't bad if you ask me, but I'm reminded that I shall not pass!
But then we couldn't trick noobs into thinking it's still immune to Ground-type attacks instead of 2x weak.
Wait... It's NOT immune to Ground Type Moves? Thanks! :P

Last edited:
So I was playing Leafgreen today; on a bit of a catching spree. Came up against a Drowzee that was too low-level for my team to weaken; so I sent out a recently-captured similarily-levelled Onix, and...

It's difficult to explain but there's something so off about this sprite.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^I think it looks like you see the front half of its head from a different angle than the back half. The jaw shouldn't be sticking out at that angle, and you shouldn't be able to see the snout and the back of its head at the same time. The angulation of the eye also looks a little wrong.

Plus, of course, that the sprite depicts a section of Onix that's more than three metres long, yet it's in a comparable size to Sunkern's back sprite. The concept of sizes doesn't translate that well to a setting where all sprites have to conform to the same area.

Call it a hunch, but I think I know more about the inflexibility of Dragonfly tails than the artist that did Platinum Yammega does. (That's not saying much coming from a guy with a river in his back yard, but still.)
No they really can bend like that, but only for... special occasions (bow chicka bow-wow). Which makes the sprite more disturbing than anything.

Gliscor is one of those pokemon with such an oddball design that it needs the right pose to look cool. Especially that face, it's almost off-model.

Much improved. Still weird that the arms are detached from the kite-wings but that's not the sprite's fault.

Last edited:
Until Gen VI, Vileplume's flower was basically on an unseen stalk that elevated it off its head and usually at a strange angle compared to the body (you can't unsee it now). I can't blame them, I suppose, they probably wanted to show off the flower but also let you see the face.

A lot of winged Pokemon were clearly not designed to be seen with their wings in motion, it's one of those design flaws that only really came out in Gen VI. In retrospect, Salamence's Mazinger Z wings look really goofy (along with Skarmory's... pairs of giant metal feathers? What are those things),

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)