1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Yilx first place artist

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Yilx, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Yilx

Yilx Sad
    is an Artistis a Smogon IRC AOP

Nope it's somewhere within 2000-3000 most of the time. I find making the strokes fast and straight the best way to get them straight, doing them slow is only going to make them stagger...

If I go anywhere above 3000x4000 I think my computer would self-destruct. :adam:
  2. Mos-Quitoxe

Mos-Quitoxe
    is an Artist

Aha, I usually only work at 1000px. Thanks for the tip!
  3. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

Meoletta is easily the best one yet of this series, as it packs much more punch (get it???) with her fierce pose and confident look. And both her and Lilligant have the proper lighting that goes with the background color, so my former complaint is now entirely invalid. I meant to comment about Magnezone earlier, but ssbbm pretty much nailed it.

Regardless if you keep the original pose and angle of the first image or if you redo it completely, it'll be neat to see your take on it. Although if include electricity effects, I'd suggest you skip the outer glow part seeing as your shading is solid and doesn't have soft edges.
  4. MektarTheOverlord

MektarTheOverlord

The show was amazing, but I sort of assumed that the movies were just as mediocre as every other one based off of a TV Anime. Are they really worth watching?

PS: Epic art, even if I can't tell what it is.
  5. Fulgrate

Fulgrate

That Maloetta and Lilligant are epic. Your style always gives life to the characters.

Quick, straight strokes? I tried it out, it is a very fast and fun technique! D: Yet, it requires a brave soul to use. The end result is similar to your line style. Interesting. It's also over twice as fast as my double lightning style. Once mastered, your pen style is superior to any that I have in speed. D:

Also, when you make the strokes, at what zoom% are you at? Like 25%, 50%, or 100% and what is the brush width?
  6. Yilx

Yilx Sad

100%. width depends on the piece, to be honest...

[​IMG]
  7. Fulgrate

Fulgrate

Ah, I was drawing at 33%, which would explain why I couldn't get as smooth as lines.

The fighter gym leader beat that due up good. XD Candice appears afraid.
  8. Acklow

Acklow

ehehehe I like that picture a lot, I really do <3333
  9. Yilx

Yilx Sad

it's like im in 2004 all over again

[​IMG]
  10. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

oh god here we go again
  11. Yilx

Yilx Sad

is that a good or bad thing ?_?
  12. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    Art Co-Leader

The art in itself leaves little to complain about.
  13. Yilx

Yilx Sad

sorry about that i guess :evan:

[​IMG]

i'll try my best...
  14. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    Art Co-Leader

oh knock it off, it was just a friendly jab, your earlier works has already shown that it's a approach you often take so there's no point to make an issue of it now

with that said, I like the Steelix, the menacing red reflections on and in his face really makes him look as intimidating as he should be.
  15. the dead mans oddysey

the dead mans oddysey

More great work yilx. I like the liligant. It reminds me of a vocaloid character (judging purely from the facial expression). I cant quite put my finger on who though...

....but none the less. Great work :)
  16. Yilx

Yilx Sad

17. Oglemi

Oglemi Die you bastards!
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

dat Steelix
  18. Omicron

Omicron
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

lol

molk is gonna die when he sees dat Stunfisk

love your work Yilx :)
  19. Molk

Molk rip houndoom
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

/me dies

LUVDISC :D
  20. PoJ

PoJ

Wow, never knew someone could make such a derpy Pokemon look so epic. Very nice job, Yilx! :DDD
  21. Yilx

Yilx Sad

Vocaloid MEIKO

Show Hide

[​IMG]
  22. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    Art Co-Leader

Good proportions, nice smooth strokes, excellent lighting, but her face ruined all of that for me. The appearance of her mouth, eyes and nose is so sharp compared to the rest of her body that it seems it was pasted onto a faceless body.

I hate to be this negative about an image of such quality, but if you nail the face then this will be so much better. Things I can think of to improve it would be to widen her mouth, give her nose better depth (not just an anime angle), and make her eye pupils bigger. Actually, the whole thing could improve if you rotated her face contents 10-20 degrees clockwise.

also love the Stunfisk. I miss the derpy eyes, but man does it look badass.
  23. yoshikkkun

yoshikkkun

Wow LOVE that Steelix, one of my favs definitely. The eye and everything and the colours, just yea great!!
  24. Yilx

Yilx Sad

I appreciate this kind of comment the most! Thanks very much, Bummer :) I'll try to see what I Can do to fix it.

Also, to not make this post so empty, i draw a bakemonogatari.

[​IMG]
  25. Yilx

Yilx Sad

Another one in my Graveyard of the Dream series. It's a little morbid, so don't open the hide tag if that kind of thing puts you off.

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

~GIRINJYA~

"wmnnn!" a cosiderate girl with a dress longer than herself waddles across the street. nobody knows where she came from or for whom she tolls for. she just goes around run a misterys 'errand', while help whoever she can.
    but the big fat red house in the edge of the town was too loud. it was curiosity in her head that led her to it.
    the girl had no idea what was happening. the girl only hered nothing but loud cries and squishy sounds everywhere.
    "whats all this??? why are the people sad" she asks the person working.
    "we need to make money" the woman with a mouth mask told her. "you sudnt be here, its dangeres."
    "but working here makes yu sad" the girl replied.
    "we hav no choice."
    the girl had no idea what to do. she did not understand what the kind lady meant. but she went to ask anwyay. she just looks around the place, but she was eventually chasd out by a fat man with blue shirts.
    "i cant let the big bad monsters make all the poepl sad everyday." she said to herself.
    finally, she had an idea. that night, she went back to the fat red house.
    "to make the popel notsad this is the thing i need to sotp. mr, monster, please stop. ure make the pople sad."
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    "oh, ubut you're not talking? did you go to sleep just like the people too?"
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiiiii
    "oh, ubut maybe oyu're just a machin. i'll need to take out the battries so you wont make the poepl sad anymore..."
    the girl climbed right into the big, rusty red vat...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)