1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Yilx first place artist

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Yilx, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Yilx

Yilx Sad
    is an Artistis a Smogon IRC AOP

2. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

You have outdone yourself this time. Truly. The distant buildings, the cliffe shrouded with shrubs, the different hues of blue riddling the water, and the warm sun blanketing the entire scene is a marvel to behold. The early WIP you posted on #smeargle gave a short glimpse of what was in store, but you really went well beyond my expectations on this one.

But while the bg is stunning, the girl up front could use some refinement. Her left horn seems to be too far back on her head, since both horns are supposed to be in even positions. Either that or you're showing too much of her face, it really depends on what angle you what to show the most. Her whole body, and the deck, could be sharpened since both are closer to the viewer, as right now they seem rather smudgy compared to the bg (which is much father away). The green leaves up to the left of her could also undergo a similar treatment, they seem pretty close.

As stunning the bg is, the hill on the other side of the river looks pretty empty despite your brushwork, so some trees or cliffs could be added to increase the variety. The water could also use some white reflections (and I do mean white) right above that yellow rock or further back, right now the water doesn't sparkle much even though the skies are clear. And while the web of light reaching the bottom is really nice, the part closest to the image's bottom looks skewed, and could be made more similar to the part preceeding it. Or it could be just me, but it looks weird in my eyes.

Fantastic work overall, and I sincerely hope this will be part of a future portfolio of yours.

As I mentioned on #smeargle, her collar stretches to far to her left, and her right hair tail have a blue highlight on the left which shouldn't be there. That aside, this is p cute for a quick work, goes to show how comfortable you are with shading and coloring.
  3. Yilx

Yilx Sad

4. Yilx

Yilx Sad

when life gives u lemons
    draw some limes
    [​IMG]
  5. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

Love the soft lighting, you really nailed it yilx :)
  6. Eagle4

Eagle4

The insides of the lime look juicy, and are painted to perfection. Anyway, the lime needs to have a slightly rougher, bump-like texture. And:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Yilx

Yilx Sad

yeah that was my reference. was mainly trying to get the colours down without using the eye dropper this time.
  8. Yilx

Yilx Sad

9. Eagle4

Eagle4

The shading and highlights are excellent. I especially like the pair of... um... ear thingies.
  10. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

man that Kirlia looks like a real girl it's kinda creepy :X
  11. Fulgrate

Fulgrate

Show Hide

An awesome digital painting. My fave alongside the image above it with the epic scenery. I remember drawing fan art of those two. Your character design skills are top-notch, especially when it comes to pokemons.
  12. BlackLight

BlackLight

The fact that you made this the perfect size for an iPhone is much appreciated.
    Of course, the art itself is fantastic. Keep up the good work!
  13. Danmire

Danmire Ain't no mountain high enough
    is an Artist Alumnus

man the guys who keep talking about boobs, what are you, 5 or something? you've never seen digitally drawn breasts? cmon.

yilx, that is one beautiful kirlia. the colors are amazing for the eyes and all the colors themselves blend so well.
  14. Yilx

Yilx Sad

15. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

nice legs <3
  16. Yilx

Yilx Sad

i made some revisions, to whoever's still here

[​IMG]
  17. queenditto

queenditto

That ditto/mewtwo was amazing!!! Ditto is my favourite pokemon, and Mewtwo is his (Edit: My boyfriend's favourite pokemon), never thought I would see them together like that!!! :heart::heart::heart: And the duotone ditto is awesome!!! IT'S LIKE EVIL DITTO :D I would love to use the evil ditto as my avatar here but since I'm new and everything I don't want to take it without permisson :)

You can tell what my favourite pokemon is :) I even had a ditto cake as a kid, though they used the wrong colour for the ditto XD Neon pink =/= ditto XD
  18. Yilx

Yilx Sad

[​IMG]
    TRC likes this.
  19. Yilx

Yilx Sad

Updated for whoever cares

[​IMG]
  20. icepick

icepick she brings the rain
    is an Artist

reminds me of a place i've never been
  21. Level 51

Level 51 by far the worst
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

someone's way too self-depricating :/

Phenomenal work, good job sneaking in Amorpha too btw :>
  22. Fulgrate

Fulgrate

That landscape is incredible, how much time did it take?
  23. Yilx

Yilx Sad

on and off for about a week, then a full weekend
  24. icepick

icepick she brings the rain
    is an Artist

oh man
    [​IMG]
    this is hot collab it was great working with you
  25. Kirbyofthestars

Kirbyofthestars

Hmmm... that's a good art style (and realistic shading and colors); it remind me of some sort of short story where the main character finds out he/she is an alien.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)