Your Top 10 Albums of All Time

Post it anyway. Nobody in this thread 100% loves everyone else's lists. It's better to see the diverse tastes of Smogon members than to have lists that match. There's a Kylie Minogue album on my list...
With that encouragement...

5. Teenage Dream - Katy Perry

Judge me. Katy's my all-time favorite artist. Her music might not reach everybody, but that's fine, because we all like as we please. Her songs are perfect for me, understandable, and I can listen to it at a loud volume without massive eardrum destruction.

4. Katy Hudson - Katy Hudson

This was Katy's christian album. It probably seems odd that I'd like this over Teenage Dream, but I do. Although I'm not highly religious, this albums has good songs with many funny perks in it ("KAAAAAAADYYY!" at the beginning of Spit, "eloquent philosophy" in a British Accent during Growing Pains), and it's a different pace from her newer songs.

3. Greatest Hits... So Far!!! - P!nk

Honestly, how could some one hate Pink? Pardon me, I didn't realize using an OBVIOUS HYPERBOLE would make this such a fucking deal. Anyway, she's hilarious, and no doubt one of the best singers out there. She writes tons of meaningful songs which I think really do represent actual problems in today's society, ("Fuckin Perfect" touching the aspect of social problems is probably the most home-hitting)

2. One of the Boys - Katy Perry

Katy's breakthrough album has some incredibly good hits on it. Besides Hot N Cold and I Kissed a Girl, the others songs were really good - especially Simple, which, for some reason, I really connect with.

1. Unreleased - Katy Perry

Yeah, a big shocker. An unreleased album as my #1 favorite? I can't help it. Tons of her unreleased songs are wonderful, especially Box, Wannabe, Look But Don't Touch, Nothing Like the First Time, It's Okay to Believe, Highs and the Lows, and Bullet.

Now I feel comfortable, admitting my favorites.

EDIT: Yes, obviously this isn't 10 albums, but sadly, my love of music is slightly limited, as I'm picky with my songs.

1. Funeral – Arcade Fire
Definitely my favorite album, this one brings me through the full spectrum of emotions with every listen. Every song is the baring of heart, through haunting metaphors and raw vocals, and backed up by powerful instrumental performances. Extremely evocative in every sense.

2. Merriweather Post Pavilion – Animal Collective
An awesome feel-good album, everything about this collection, from the constantly shifting sounds to the upbeat lyrics, radiates friendliness, like a conversation with a good buddy. Simple songwriting emphasizes the joy present in the songs, and although the style of the music stays the same, there are many shifts between songs that make each one unique.

3. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea – Neutral Milk Hotel
Beautiful. The lyrics themselves are poetic and enigmatic and the backing music makes this one of the most atmospheric albums in the best possible way, even when the subject matter turns towards more uncomfortable ground. The unique obsessions with the organic body and Anne Frank, detailed beautifully and in detail, as well as the peaceful sound, make this truly a unique and touching album.

4. Drum's Not Dead – Liars
Almost an etheral experience, the powerful drumming, ambient guitar, and primal vocals contribute to what is a very strange but constantly intense album. Once you get past the overwhelmingly mystic and almost frightening sounds this album has, there's a surprisingly deep concept album hidden beneath about the conflict between Drum and Mt. Heart Attack.

5. You Forgot It in People – Broken Social Scene
Frontman Kevin Drew said of this album “"I was scared to see if people were going to embrace the idea of a whole shitload of sounds on one album,” and that's really the best way to describe it – a whole shitload of sounds. The album shifts focus, musically and thematically, between every song, but somehow it comes together to form a beautiful and unique album.

6. Hospice – The Antlers
Almost oppressive, with beautiful and expressive music complimenting the abrasive and realistic songwriting portraying an abusive relationship through the guise of a patient and a hospital worker. This album is emotionally destroying in a way few things are and is very cathartic, and manages to be sombre without being dreary to listen to.

7. The Dust of Retreat – Margot and the Nuclear So & So's
Right from the beginning, the beautiful singing and instrumentals make this an appealing listen, but the songwriting, which speaks of regret, drug use (and abuse), and so many other things make this not only wonderful to listen to, but also deeply intimate.

8. Turn On The Bright Lights – Interpol
The songwriting is great, and the clean high sounds contribute to an atmosphere of emptiness and longing. This album sounds like a cold night out in New York City, from which the band drew heavy inspiration, and their sentiments of love, loneliness, and desire stick with you. Even with such frequently depressing lyrical material, the album is a joy to listen to.

9. Fevers and Mirrors – Bright Eyes
Beautiful songwriting about things that aren't that beautiful, this album is genuine poetry, something that is frequently rare among musical artists. Sadness that doesn't take itself too seriously – he even parodies himself in one of the songs – and with frequent moments of genuine perfection.

10. Songs About Leaving – Carissa's Wierd
Deals with the loss and emptiness and everything else that comes with the ending of a relationship in a way that manages to be both emotional and mature. The mournful and almost dragging music matches the lyrics and emphasizes the feelings present in every song, which examines every aspect of a breakup.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
1. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
mmm I already wrote about the blissful wonders that lie in this album

2. Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One
Such a sweet album. It's got the drone-y, shoegaze-y stuff (Sugarcube, Little Honda, Return to Hot Chicken), and then the kind of poppy stuff (Stockholm Syndrome). The lyrics are kind of ...bittersweet, I guess? It's difficult to describe. It's not straight depressing, but it's delivered in a way that makes it a special kind of sad. Gorgeous album overall.

3. The White Stripes - De Stijl
Sweet lord can Jack White make a guitar sing. Meg White's simplistic drum playing add to the formula, creating delicious blues-style tunes. There are also some covers here of blues legends. This is way better than Elephant / White Blood Cells, which I really can't bring myself to listen to after hearing this. They are pretty good albums in their own right, but every time I listen to them, I think...'Why am I not listening to De Stijl right now??"

4. Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Stuart Murdoch's lilting vocals backed by the twee-pop instrumentals of the band are so romantic. Quaint? Whatever the word, this is some really pretty music with some engaging (sometimes funny!) lyrics, and catchy tunes. That lisp is fucking adorable.

5. My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
If you haven't figured it out already, I'm kind of a MBV fanboy. This album is a loooot different from Loveless, but not in a bad way. While Loveless is more drone-y, layered stuff, Isn't Anything leans more towards punk at times. Leans being the key word here. This is definitely NOT punk music. It's still got that soft whitewash stuff going on, dreamy vocals, etc., but it also has some harsher sounds going on. Try to find something that sounds harsh in Loveless.

My Top 5 Albums!

I don't think I can choose 10 so have 5! :P

#5 You Are The Quarry by Morrissey

Morrissey will always be the lead singer of The Smiths in other minds but in mind I remember him for this solo album. Now the music is not mindblowing but I just the love his lyrical style. The way he frankly approaches topics such as discrimination in the American political system and Cromwell in America Is Not The World and Irish Blood, English Heart.

Tracks to try Irish Blood, English Heart, I Like You and The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores.

#4 A Thousand Suns by Linkin Park

Linkin Park were an angry, bog-standard rock band with a few touches of genius but they grew up. A Thousand Suns is an epic, almost operatic in scale rock/ techno/ metal/ rap hybrid which flows beautifully; so well in fact that I couldn't tell you any of the track names (I listen to albums from start to finish, not as much individual tracks).

Listen to it all from start to finish, how it was meant to be heard.

#3Black Holes & Revelations by Muse

This album is pure gold. Fantastic proggish rock with a hint of Queen, Muse found a style that worked and wrote an album with no filler (Well... Maybe Soldier's Poem is a little filler...). By far the greatest band to come out of England since Zeppelin or Queen.

Tracks to try are the whole damn album. Specifically Starlight, Knights of Cydonia and Supermassive Black Hole.

#2 S&M by Metallica

S&M takes the melodic and sometimes thrashy songs of arguably the greatest Metal band of them all (Well, perhaps not as legendary as Sabbath) and throws an orchestra into the mix. As crazy as it sounds it may be the greatest thing ever to happen to Metal and I long for the day when another S&M tour is announced.

Tracks to try are Nothing Else Matters, Call of the Ktulu, Master of Puppets and Enter Sandman.

#1 Infected by The The

And finally my #1, Infected. An utterly fantastic album and The The's greatest in my opinion. The unusual, funky rock style of the album won my heart as soon as I heard it as did the lyrics which contrast oddly with the lighthearted sound of the music. One song, Sweet Bird of Truth following a fighter pilot over Arabia, no doubt representative of one of the many conflicts in that part of the world, contemplating the pointlessness of war. A strange and utterly wonderful album.

Tracks to try are Infected, Sweet Bird of Truth and Slow Train to Dawn.

I don't really feel like typing out a whole list, so I'll stick to five of my favourite albums of all time. In no particular order:

Crystal Fighters - Star of Love

Only recently did I find this band, and I am very glad I did. It is a completely unlogical mash-up of genres and instruments, but somehow it works. Ranging from poppy songs like Plage to others more like dubstep (Swallow), there is something for everybody on this album, but everything has a very complete and unique feel to it. Personal favourite song: In The Summer

Pendulum - Immersion

This album has been mentioned before, and for good reason. I'm mostly into rock and a range of electronic genres, and Pendulum forms the perfect bridge between the two. This is, in my opinion, Pendulum's best album, with masterpieces like The Island and Witchcraft. I really hope Knife Party won't mean the end of Pendulum.
Personal favourite song: Encoder
By the way, here is a mash-up of Watercolour, Witchcraft, The Tempest, and Encoder that I wish to share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCf_BFv403w&feature=watch_response

Daft Punk - Discovery

Probably the first electronic album I ever listened to, and years later it is still brilliant. I still manage to discover small little things I never heard before whenever I listen to it, quite a feat. Daft Punk really did something right with this album.
Personal favourite song: Digital Love

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

I'm a huge RHCP fanboy, so in my top 5, two of their albums are there. One of the two is Blood Sugar Sex Magik, an absolute masterpiece. I can honestly say I like every single song the Peppers have ever brought out, and a lot of my favourites are on BSSM. The detail and depth in every song are amazing. An absolute must-listen for everyone who even slightly likes rock, funk, or whatever genre you want to call the Peppers.
Personal favourite song: Sir Psycho Sexy

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk

All Peppers albums are good, but this one is the best, in my opinion. Not a popular opinion, but still. It still has the rawness of earlier albums, but shows some more maturity already. Some songs are about serious topics like the death of a friend and former bandmember (Knock Me Down), others are about having fun (Good Time Boys). All are great.
Personal favourite song: Subway To Venus

I'm usually not one to listen to full albums but rather to playlists, but these are albums I can all easily listen through in one sitting.

lol berift i was not expecting anyone to mention the the and i sure as fuck was not expecting it to be juxtaposed with linkin park

i think i prefer soul mining but infected is hella good too, either way i'm really glad you like them

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok ok my turn

#10 Cities Aviv - Digital Lows

hipster-hop at its best, sweet beats, chill samples, laid-back rapping

#9 Handsome Furs - Face Control

so many great tracks on this album. it's so catchy, but has integrity at the same time.

#8 Shad - When This Is Over

shad is one of the best lyricists in the game, and the only time he use a bullet is in microsoft word.

#7 Future Islands - In Evening Air

i love this guy's voice. absolutely incredible album.

#6 Blazo - Reflections

definitive instrumental jazz-hop. as a homage to nujabes it's incredibly good, and i'm sure the the big man would approve. REST IN BEATS

#5 Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers

a fucking hip-hop classic how could i not. the same goes for the next three albums.

#4 Nas - Illmatic

LANDMARK

#3 Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor and Dangerous

BIG L IS MY FAVOURITE MC AND MY GOD DA GRAVEYARD IS HOOD AS FUCK

#2 Nujabes - Metaphorical Music

my favourite producer, his good tracks are littered all over the place, but metaphorical music is probably the most consistent. a great album in its own right, once again - REST IN BEATS

#1 Atlas - Beauty & the Blues

i have like 200+ plays of this album on my itunes lol, it's just so catchy and the fast-paced rapping plays perfectly with the jazzy beats and retro samples.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
im going to do a top 7 because i have like 10 albums that i reckon could be in spots 8 9 10 and its too much effort to deliberate between them. im really bad at explaining why i like them but w/e

7. Nirvana - Nevermind

dunno what this is described as, grunge rock? but still depressing tone of kurt cobains voice mixed with the backing music just makes for an unforgettable album. wasn't born when it was released, but got into it when i was about 13 or something and it is one of those childhood nostalgia albums for me now that sort of defined my music taste now.

favourite track - Lithium - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkcJEvMcnEg

6. Frankie & the Heartstrings - Hunger

seriously good album from a seriously good band that really need more publicity. saw them live on a minor stage at a festival and haven't looked back since. the music is upbeat indie music and although there is a slight danger that some of the tracks might be a bit samey, i just can't get away from how catchy it is.

favourite track(s) - Photograph - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oV4U3mZZ3o
Hunger - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-XN_7msXzQ (videos a bit gay though, music starts at 0:55)

5. The National - Alligator

the first of two national albums on my list. i really like berninger's voice and it really helps me get into and understand the music. there can be some seriously depressing songs and not sure i'd recommend listening to it on a rainy day, but its really good just to chill out and listen to some good music. theres some higher tempo stuff on there too, which makes for a really diverse album

favourite tracks - Baby We'll Be Fine, All the Wine, Mr November

4. Jamie T - Kings & Queens

i guess this is kind of an anomaly on my list? well maybe not, jamie t has been dubbed a 'one man arctic monkey' and i really see that and really enjoy his style. high tempo music with more of a spoken word thing than actual singing, but i can really get into his lyrics and the upbeat way he performs them. probably not seen as 'good music' by most people on here but w/e, i really enjoy this and could listen to the album over and over and over and over without getting bored.

favourite track - Sticks 'n' Stones - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9APEZMeH0o

3. The National - Boxer

pretty much the same description as alligator i guess? berninger's baritone voice really comes out in a lot of the tracks and it makes for an interesting and engaging listen. not really sure what else to write for this one, except that its a quality album

favourite tracks - Apartment Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnI28bdZylM
Slow Show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCR0Tr2HTfA

2. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

i think some guy earlier in this thread selected this album, so im not sure what more i can add. this album is seriously good. if you're looking for some british indie/rock then there is nothing better than this album as far as im concerned. alex turner's vocals are something which are more spoken word again, but i think they work really well with the guitar sounds in the background. this album deserves all the awards it got!

favourite track - I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGCre4HgPLU
From the Ritz to the Rubble - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEKJAw_tuxg

1. The Maccabees - Colour It In

not the most critically acclaimed album since it was released in 2007, but i honestly can't think of a song that i actively dislike. quirky, upbeat and unlike stuff that i had heard before. can't get enough of this album and could listen to it endlessly without getting bored, and thats pretty much my criteria for favourite album

favourite track - Latchmere - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMEnZQT2f8

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Here's my list:

A Rush of Blood to the Head(Coldplay).

I love this album so much. Besides Coldplay being my favorite band and all. The tracks in this album, like God Put a Smile on Your Face and The Scientist just make me feel very good. The Scientist is a song I like to listen to when I'm thinking of a special someone and that everything is going to be okay and such. God Put a Smile on Your Face is a really good song, I love the medley. Sounds a lot like Daylight too, which is another song I love. Don't even get me started about Clocks. It's probably their best song.

Franz Ferdinand(Self titled album)

This album is just fucking amazing, man. "40 ft" is such an awesome song. I love that funky feel they give their songs. "Take Me Out", which is arguably their best song is so fucking good. These guys are just amazing. I totally recommend you to start with this album.

Ceremonials(Florence + The Machine)

What can I say about Florence? She has such an amazing and powerful voice. This album is no exception. "Shake It Out" and "No Light, No Light" are two equally powerful songs. I love the drums in them. "Bedroom Hymns" gives you that "fuck yes" feeling, with that dark feel. When I saw the Game of Thrones "Seven Devils" trailer, I was like, "ohmygosh seven gods etc etc this goes so well with this show."

Breakfast on the Morning Tram(Stacey Kent)

Man, ever since a friend on mine showed me Stacey Kent, I instantly fell in love with her music. I played the tracks on the album when I went to Orlando a week ago, and the way she sings just soothes the soul. Her voice is so adorable. "The Ice Hotel" is my favorite song.

Boxer(The National)

I love The National. Matt's deep voice is so burly and strong. I think we can all agree that "Slow Show" is an amazing song. Guys can agree right? Missing a girl, yadayadayada.

Only by the Night(Kings of Leon)

Man, this album really touches the heart. KOL is one of my new favorite band thanks to this album(I know it's their fourth studio album, but I've been listening to their old albums!). "Sex on Fire" is my favorite song from them. "Revelry", "Use Somebody", and "Be Somebody" are the runner ups. It's a good ol' family band, ya know? Caleb's voice along with his brothers and cousin really make you feel homely.

Costello Music(The Fratellis)

Their debut album. Man, the Fratellis is one sexy band. When I first heard "Flathead" from the iPod commercial, I was like "What is this..?". Then when I heard the other songs in this track, like "Chelsea Dagger" and "Creepin' Up the Backstairs", I was instantly hooked. I think the tracks on this album are the definition of "sexy".

Parachutes(Coldplay)

One more from Coldplay. It's their debut album, and let me say, I wish I was born a little earlier so I wouldn't have been about 4 when it came out. "Yellow" is a song that I really connect to, and it always makes me think of this one girl. It's such a sweet song. "Sparks" too. This is an amazing album, and if you haven't heard of it, please do. Makes you very very calm.

Is This It(The Strokes)

Another debut album. Haha, I love the Strokes. Casablanca's moody voice and cussing is really awesome. "Is This It"(the song) is an all time favorite. It's not that rough, it's just very simple. Then when you hear "Take it or Leave it", it really starts to get crazy. Really good band, really good album.

Invaders Must Die(The Prodigy)

In the days that I played Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Monster Hunter Tri, I would always make my iPod play this album. "Invaders Must Die", the first track, instantly pumps you up for anything. "Thunder" is also a really good song, and the small amount of lyrics it has really adds to it. It's also a very good song to work out with.

I figured a lot of you would enjoy it so I'll just leave this here:
That looks like the next album of a 10 year old SWAGYOLO boy who, sadly, got a recording contract. It looks like an album that's like MONEYTITSALCOHOLDRUGSSOSOSOHIGHOMGSWAG.

Of course, that's probably a very wonderful album that promotes helping your community and volunteering at various shelters and rest homes and I'm cover judging. :3

10. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
9. Pendulum - Immersion
8. Genki Rockets - No Border Between Us
7. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
6. Keane - Hopes and Fears
5. Tigers Jaw - Self Titled
4. Circa Survive - Juturna
3. Arcade Fire - Funeral
2. Lydia - Assailants
1. Passion Pit - Gossamer (this is amazing if you haven't heard it then go fucking do it already)

Not really gonna explain anything, this was a tough list to compile.

Byrne is the hero Smogon deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick Compilation

Boston - Boston
Eagles - Any album before Long Road Out Of Eden
Billy Talent - Pick one
Phantom of the Opera OST (Canadian) - Colm Wilkinson best phantom ever
Green day - American Idiot
Queen - Absolute Greatest (cop-outs ftw)
Styx - Greatest Hits (see above)
Bryan Adams - Reckless
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms/Money For Nothing/On the Night
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell 1/2
INXS - Switch

Not a ton in line with the general Smogon preferences but I like my classic rock so w/e

1. Dream Theater - Images and Words

2. Rush - Hemispheres

3. Genesis - Selling England By the Pound

4. Yes - Close to the Edge

5. Sonata Arctica - Silence

6. Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory

7. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

8. Rush - Moving Pictures

9. Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica

10. U2 - The Joshua Tree

xenu

Banned deucer.
Hyperbole is not an excuse for stupid statements.
it is

Plus the Arctic Monkeys are universally acclaimed by all critics and almost everyone I've ever met that has listened to them. The album I listened won Album of the Year by SEVERAL publications as well.
hahahaha oh wow

anyway here is my LIST judge away byrne

10. civil civic - rules
9. faust - so far
8. gardens & villa - s/t
7. the flaming lips - yoshimi battles the pink robots
6. can - tago mago / ege bamyasi (tied)
5. avey tare - down there
4. broken bells - s/t
3. *shels - plains of the purple buffalo
2. joy division - unknown pleasures
1. olivia tremor control - black foliage (i.e the patrician ITAOTS)

this is actually just a "current" list my top 10 changes very often

shoutouts: remain in light, repeater, 151a, untrue, cosmogramma, neu ii, kid a, strawberry jam, raise yr. skinny fists, the man machine, @ war with the mystics, clams s/t, active child, deerpeople s/t, love remains, bbng, exmilitary, 3030, substance 1987 and a lot of other stuff im forgetting ALSO souvlaki space station by slowdive

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
This thread is a joke. Clearly none of you have music taste as good as mine. Music is clearly something that can be quantified and can thusly be ranked in complete objectivity and no bias.

Class has begun:

10. The Faceless - Akeldama

LET'S BEGIN with some Technical Death Metal. From the very beginning you get hit with An Autopsy. A quick drum fill into a fast droning melodic riff where the drummer continues to showcase his talents all leading up to a full rest phrase ending with a hilarious little ting on the bell of a cymbal. The album continues in this tone allowing their bits and pieces to shine. Another track, Leica, catches you with a killer hook and pounds its way through, later allowing the synth to alleviate the aggression with a melody of it's own leading into a soft guitar solo. Great moments and a great album.

9. Eluveitie - Slania

Eluveitie mixes Melodic Death Metal and good old fashioned Folk music to create this gem of an album. Great songs across the board, with highlights on the aggression of Bloodstained Ground, the driving pulse of Calling the Rain, the sharp accentuated contrast of Death Metal and Folk Music in Slania's Song, and the droning beauty that is the folk instrumental Anagantios. The album has a beautiful sorrowful pang in most of the songs despite being partially Death Metal, and is my favorite album to listen to when it's raining outside. I find it to be an extremely calming experience.

Seriously I recommend Anagantios to EVERYONE. It's so peaceful.

8. Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt

Love is the inspiration for 80% of all music (give or take), be it happy love, or heartbreak. Adele came out singing of her hurt and pain from a break up and it pulled on the heartstrings of many.

This album is NOT about pulling the heartstrings. This album is about the pure and unadulterated rage that comes when the love of your life doesn't just break your heart, but pulls it out and smashes it.

This Technical Death Metal album starts aggressive, ends aggressive, and is aggressive through the middle bits too. The general musicality is fantastic, and all the riffs are amazing, but the true bonus that puts it on the top 10 is the lyrics, which effuse a feeling of complete bitter hatred toward a single event. Every song is a highlight, so I can't post all of them, but my favorite is Dust and Guilt.

7. Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God

Melodic Death Metal about Vikings.

IT'S CATCHY. THERE IS NO OTHER REASON IT'S UP SO HIGH. ALL RIFFS ARE GREAT AND GET STUCK IN MY HEAD.

Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags

6. Tyr - By the Light of the Northern Star

Power Metal with folky melodies (no folk instrumentation though) about Vikings.

SEE ABOVE. EXCEPT ALONG WITH CATCHY RIFFS, ALSO CHORUSES.

By The Sword In My Hand

5. Ayreon - The Human Equation

Ayreon is a Progressive Metal band that doesn't just write concept albums, but concept discography. Every one of their albums is interrelated and tells a long and elaborate story. The kicker? Each album is basically an opera featuring various vocal talents from prog rock and metal sources.

This particular album is about a man (Played by Dream Theatre's James LaBrie) who finds himself in a coma after a car crash and his battle against and reliance on all of his emotions (Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth as Fear, Devin Townsend of Strapping Young Lad as Anger, and various others) in order to try and find a reason to wake up on each day of his coma. Along the way you discover the reason he crashed was because he found out his Wife had cheated on him with his Best Friend, and he tried to kill himself. Basically it's a One Shot in Ayreon canon, but they still connect it at the end.

Fantastic vocal performances and interesting instrumentation that all tells a story makes a really outstanding listening experience. From the haunting Day Three: Pain, to the lighthearted Day Eleven: Love this album just creates a truly atmospheric story.

4. The Absence - Riders of the Plague

More Melodic Death Metal. The Absence has amazing driving riffs off of a guitar tone that I just can't get enough off. Their general musicianship is fantastic, and they know how to just step on the gas pedal and never really let you go.

Riders of the Plague starts off aggressive with it's title track and proceeds to catch you song by song with amazing hooks and powerful riffs and solos. Great tracks all around, but my favorites are Dead and Gone, The Murder, and World Divides.

Also it's worth noting that I don't really think of them as Melodic Death Metal, but rather Beard Metal. I mean look at these guys:

Their beards are not to be trifled with. (This is a good time to let it be known that perfect adjective for a great beard is "Frothy".)

3. Symphony X - The Odyssey

I told myself I could only have one album from each band, and picking my favorite album from this band was tough. This Progressive Metal band puts together an absolute clinic of how to play their instrument at every single spot. The whole band is fantastic but the true highlights are Russell Allen, whose powerful vocals can either beautifully serenade you, or knock you off your feet and Michael Romeo, who is a mind-numbingly technically skilled virtuoso at guitar (How can a man with such fat fingers move them so nimbly across the frets?).

Ultimately I had to pick one album though, so I picked The Odyssey. Overall it showcases the talents of the band rather well and has a general cohesion that some of their other albums don't. The album kicks off with a Michael Romeo clinic in Inferno (Unleash the Fire), leading into Russell Allen's showcase in the highly syncopated and odd metric Wicked. But the real reason this album was picked above the rest, was the title track. The 25 minute long epic, The Odyssey, is a song I could listen to for the rest of my life without it ever boring me. Telling the story of the greek myth, Symphony X musically portrays all the trials and tribulations of Odysseus and his crew, from the Cyclops to the Sirens, capped off with a brilliant chorus about the "Triumphant Champion of Ithaca". Truly an amazing song, and a perfect way to end this album.

2. Iron Maiden - Powerslave

This pick was easy for me. Iron Maiden has massive sentimental value and this album in particular has even more. I was never really a big fan of music throughout my life, and while I listened to and enjoyed various things I never really had a large interest in it. However, when I first heard Aces High, everything changed.

Aces High was the first metal song I ever listened to, the first song on the first album I ever bought, the first song I ever learned to play on guitar. Two Minutes to Midnight is just classic, and Rime of the Ancient Mariner is my favorite Iron Maiden epic of all. This album opened me up to the world of metal and it's various shades and hues, and I grabbed a hold and never let go. I've listened to the album in it's entirety literally hundreds of times and it's still great to this day.

It'd honestly be my number one album if it weren't for...

1. Ensiferum - Iron

I still remember the moment I first listened to this album. It was at about 2:00 in the morning and I was reading a book late at night when I decided to start listening to this new band I had heard called Ensiferum. They were a Folk Metal band from Finland who I had only heard of due to my interest in Amon Amarth at the time.

The intro started and it set the folk theme rather quickly and forged it's way straight into the title track Iron. From the first few bars of that song, I knew instantly that I was going to love every single second of this album and that I would forever love this band. Their mix of almost heroic folk riffs and metal is amazing and the guitar solos of Jari Maenpaa are stunning. Sword Chant, Into Battle, and Lai Lai Hei along with Iron would all be on my top 20 songs list (with songs from their other albums adding in to make up half of my top 20), making this pick for top album REALLY easy. Hell, they even end with a cover of Battery, which is my all time favorite Metallica song, so just a cherry on top really on an already perfect album.

So seriously, get educated on music guys. You can't argue about cold hard facts. Class dismissed.

10. Can - Tago Mago
9. Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
8. Husker Du - Zen Arcade
7. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
6. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
5. NEU! - NEU!
4. The Stooges - Fun House
3. New York Dolls - New York Dolls
2. The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
1. Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica...or Safe as Milk. Not sure which I like better tbh
geeeez man you know that these guys are all really well known, right? Especially Captain Beefheart and Can.

honestly I can't believe you would think that there's somehow something impure about developing individual opinions outside of the mainstream, especially when enjoying music is one of the most essentially personal and intimate pleasures we have. I mean, that's an absolutely disastrous view of the world, and it implies contempt towards progressive thought in general.

PS P!NK is successful and has won a whole bunch of grammies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)