Here's the set I've been using:

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 252HP/4Atk/252Def
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Glare
- Earthquake
- Rest

This Zygarde set functions as a physical wall, para-inducer, and shuffler on a full stall team. With team support the set is able to stop virtually all physical attackers without stab dragon, fairy, or ice moves. I prefer this set to the Rest-talk defensive set, which I've also tried. The unreliability of sleep talk really frustrates me, especially since fairy types, flying types, and levitaters can get a completely free turn effectively giving you a 1/3 chance of success in many situations. As previously stated, the set laughs at all but the most fearsome physical attackers, allowing you to spread paralysis or pile on residual damage via phazing during the free turns Zygarde gives you. The paralysis is also of great benefit to its partner special wall: Togekiss. Paralyzing a special attacker switching into Zygarde can allow Togekiss to outspeed special attackers and roost in their face when at low health.

Togekiss was chosen for several reasons. It serves as an effective check to many dragon types that threaten Zygarde. It also carries air slash for para-flinch late game clean up. Additionally heal bell keeps Zygarde free from status, including self induced sleep from Rest. Finally, wish support further serves to keep Zygarde healthy, which aids in walling the many incredible physical based offensive sets of the OU metagame.

Any comments or suggestions on the set?

What have other people been pairing with defensive Zygarde? Ice type moves can be problematic for this duo.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
It's horrendously outclassed as a Dragon Dancer and there is no reason to use it over something like Dragonite, Zard X, or Mega Gyara. As a defensive mon with glare and cool, maybe. I see this thing being UU at best, no way in hell itl be OU
STAB EQ is still a very good reason to use it over other DDers, as is Extreme Speed. Great bulk with Glare or good sweeping potential with Coil (why would you try using them together? Coil) are also reasons Zygarde can present itself as a threat. All this coupled with good dual STABs. Why would this not stand a chance at OU again?

Here's the set I've been using:

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 252HP/4Atk/252Def
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Glare
- Earthquake
- Rest

This Zygarde set functions as a physical wall, para-inducer, and shuffler on a full stall team. With team support the set is able to stop virtually all physical attackers without stab dragon, fairy, or ice moves. I prefer this set to the Rest-talk defensive set, which I've also tried. The unreliability of sleep talk really frustrates me, especially since fairy types, flying types, and levitaters can get a completely free turn effectively giving you a 1/3 chance of success in many situations. As previously stated, the set laughs at all but the most fearsome physical attackers, allowing you to spread paralysis or pile on residual damage via phazing during the free turns Zygarde gives you. The paralysis is also of great benefit to its partner special wall: Togekiss. Paralyzing a special attacker switching into Zygarde can allow Togekiss to outspeed special attackers and roost in their face when at low health.

Togekiss was chosen for several reasons. It serves as an effective check to many dragon types that threaten Zygarde. It also carries air slash for para-flinch late game clean up. Additionally heal bell keeps Zygarde free from status, including self induced sleep from Rest. Finally, wish support further serves to keep Zygarde healthy, which aids in walling the many incredible physical based offensive sets of the OU metagame.

Any comments or suggestions on the set?

What have other people been pairing with defensive Zygarde? Ice type moves can be problematic for this duo.
You need either a lum berry or rest talk. Otherwise, your opponents get 3 free turns instead of a chance at one.

I've found that resting in the face of a poke the rest of my team can handle, and switching out to get eventually heal belled up works better. The common immunities to Earthquake and Dragon tail, I've found don't help your chances when trying to sleep talk. Rest is also not used as often as one may think think, since Zygarde gets wish Support from Togekiss. It's more of a useful second lease on life when a team match-up happens to fair badly for Zygarde. Frankly I haven't tried Lum Berry, I'd probably try Chesto Berry instead, because with heal bell I really don't care about other status. I think it won't be worth losing the leftovers recovery, but I suppose it's worth trying it out.

Thanks for the input.

It's horrendously outclassed as a Dragon Dancer and there is no reason to use it over something like Dragonite, Zard X, or Mega Gyara. As a defensive mon with glare and cool, maybe. I see this thing being UU at best, no way in hell itl be OU

Are you a special kind of Competitive Player? Because welcome to the meta-game that knows FOR A FACT Zygarde fits comfortably in OU.

Zygarde has a nice amount of Bulk and the only Legendary Dragon with access to Coil and Dragon Dance. I honestly have been loving the hell outta Dragon Dance, why? Because Zygarde is friggin' amazing having to not worry about Sandstorm, hitting really heavy outrages, and being able to deliver Extreme Speed when needed.

Instead of spouting nonsense, take the time to read the thread and suggest something.

Zygarde ISN'T Dragonite or Gyarados, stop comparing him to those.

He plays far different as a bulky heavy offensive, and it works.

I see this thing being UU at best,

I've been using Zygarde's Dragon Dance set for a while now and I have to say he's pretty underrated. For one it's dragon/ground typing rly good just for that fact that you can come in on electric type atks including thunder wave which I see more and more often in OU Beta. That and even when uninvested, his bulk allows him to tank physical hits before setting up to become just as dangerous as any other physical sweeper. Though having both earthquake and outrage as his main stab moves you need be wary of any teams that have a fairy and/or flying type on their team. Togekiss *cough* *cough*

I only have a few problems with Zyg: 1) useless ability overall, 2) repetitive typing 3) another dragon that laughs at my good buddy Flygon for not having DD.

Outside that i think he has good versitility overall. You could run a rest/talk set, bulky coil, DD set an they can all do pretty well. Add to that (perhaps) a Z-game would include move tutors he could become a good stealth rocker. So i see it doing fine in OU no matter what the case he is just sometimes underwhelming

I only have a few problems with Zyg: 2) repetitive typing
I think it's been established in the thread that due to its role being completely unique from Chomp (offensive set up sweeper/choice) and Flygon (scout, UU dragon), Zygarde's typing is not a problem.

I've been using Coil Zygarde alongside BulkyDD Gyarados as a bulky set up core - still debilitating on whether or not Mega-Dos is worth it. Dos attracts electric moves, which Zygarde sponges and proceeds to do his own set up. Boltbeam coverage is very annoying to this core however, which is why I need either Yache berry or someone dedicated to taking out common users of boltbeam, such as Starmie.

I personally believe I have found a set that plays specifically to zygarde's movepool and stats
Here it is:
Zygarde @ Hard Stone/Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
- Coil
- Stone Edge/Earthquake/Outrage
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
This set plays to Zygarde's inherent bulk and attack, and lets him find a pretty useful niche. I personally use stone edge as nothing is immune to it, but you can use his stabs fine. The goal of this set is to coil to increase stone edge's accuracy and power, while getting more physically bulky. for the ev's max out hp, and either invest into special defense, attack, or both. Set up coils on someone and you become nearly impenetrable versus a physical attacker, and I believe any other set is outclassed by someone else. Please correct any grammar mistakes I might have.
(sorry if this has already been posted)

Last edited:
I think it's been established in the thread that due to its role being completely unique from Chomp (offensive set up sweeper/choice) and Flygon (scout, UU dragon), Zygarde's typing is not a problem.

I've been using Coil Zygarde alongside BulkyDD Gyarados as a bulky set up core - still debilitating on whether or not Mega-Dos is worth it. Dos attracts electric moves, which Zygarde sponges and proceeds to do his own set up. Boltbeam coverage is very annoying to this core however, which is why I need either Yache berry or someone dedicated to taking out common users of boltbeam, such as Starmie.
Rotom-H resists Bolt/Beam, sponges WoW, and handles some bulky Grass-types (-cough- Trevenant) that Zygarde and Gyara don't want to face. MegaGrrados would also help a lot to mitigate the 4x Ice and 4x Electric weakness (and is such a cool/underrated poke), and provide SOME insurance v. Rotom-W, but bulky Rotom-W is a big issue for Zygarde/Gyarados regardless. Maybe if you don't want to go Mega Gyarados you could use a Mega Venusaur to also sponge Bolt/Beam and swat off Rotom-W.

Last edited:
I just said the typing is as repetative as Fire/Fighting. Had nothing to do with the roles they play

I been having success against ice types and fairy types lately thanks to Zygarde's speed and wall capabilities when I decided to include "Camouflage" in it's movepool. Turns him into a normal type in the battle stage and takes away any advantage fairy/ice (or dragon) types had against him, while on the other hand his moves still are able to shred them to pieces.

I always have a fast fairy type on my team, so I don't need to build my Zygarde up as a Dragon Sweeper, So I exclude the dragon moves, and instead opt for Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Extreme Speed, while I keep Camouflage on reserve just in case my opponent decides to send out their Fairy/Ice/Dragon type revenge killer pokemon only to outspeed them with camouflage, they lose their effectiveness, Zygarde shrugs off the little scratch they left, and then proceeds to obliterate them.

Also I recommend camouflage because of the confusion it seems to cause to the average inexperienced opponent. For example, they sent out their icetype pokemon only to have it obliterated, but then proceed to send out a pokemon who definitely knows a Fighting move which would be super effective against normal Zygarde, but instead proceed to try the other previously super effective Fairy or Dragon moves.

Last edited:
I been having success against ice types and fairy types lately thanks to Zygarde's speed and wall capabilities when I decided to include "Camouflage" in it's movepool. Turns him into a normal type in the battle stage and takes away any advantage fairy/ice (or dragon) types had against him, while on the other hand his moves still are able to shred them to pieces.

I always have a fast fairy type on my team, so I don't need to build my Zygarde up as a Dragon Sweeper, So I exclude the dragon moves, and instead opt for Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Extreme Speed, while I keep Camouflage on reserve just in case my opponent decides to send out their Fairy/Ice/Dragon type revenge killer pokemon only to outspeed them with camouflage, they lose their effectiveness, Zygarde shrugs off the little scratch they left, and then proceeds to obliterate them.

Also I recommend camouflage because of the confusion it seems to cause to the average inexperienced opponent. For example, they sent out their icetype pokemon only to have it obliterated, but then proceed to send out a pokemon who definitely knows a Fighting move which would be super effective against normal Zygarde, but instead proceed to try the other previously super effective Fairy or Dragon moves.
That's a nice set imo. Does that set need batonpass vaporeon?

I really like this set. STAB Espeed and then filler attacks or DD/coil sounds like a great set an very unexpected

Coil/Camouflage/Stone Edge/ESpeed huh? There's some ingenious here, particularly in adding STAB to ESpeed and getting rid of your other weaknesses. I just have a hard time using less than three offensive moves on Zygarde otherwise his coverage is sorely lacking. It also means that you'll have a much harder time against Aegeslash and Mega Lucario without Earthquake. The question is do you want to handle specific counters for a slew of different ones, and Fighting moves are arguably more common than Ice or Water...

Fighting anything is more common lol. I think what the person is trying to do is remove drag,ice,fairy weaknesses for only one weakness which is fair. But yes with a camo set you lack coveragesince running camo, 3attacks means less power as well.

Edit: Camo/Coil/Espeed walls:
If you carry EQ walled by Gengar and levitate
If you carry SE walled by Steel,Ground,Rock,Grass

Essentially a camo set calls for a third attacking move or for you to boost to a point where you can handle foe

Fighting anything is more common lol. I think what the person is trying to do is remove drag,ice,fairy weaknesses for only one weakness which is fair. But yes with a camo set you lack coveragesince running camo, 3attacks means less power as well.

Edit: Camo/Coil/Espeed walls:
If you carry EQ walled by Gengar and levitate
If you carry SE walled by Steel,Ground,Rock,Grass

Essentially a camo set calls for a third attacking move or for you to boost to a point where you can handle foe
Then it would be camo/EQ/SE/Espeed. Use Scollipede to pass speed and defense, or Vaporeon to pass defense and fat subs.

i am using a banded version with outrage EQ Stone miss and Espeed . loving it so far no idea why people keep saying it sucks

So since this gets two very rare moves in coil and glare I feel it should always have one of these on his set. I guess you would use glare on a more support set, maybe one with rest and sleep talk. Coil is a great move and with ex-speed he can get by without dancing plus while he isn't as bad at dancing as some people say he is not the best at it, but he is the only dragon with coil. now if only he got dragon rush.

i am using a banded version with outrage EQ Stone miss and Espeed . loving it so far no idea why people keep saying it sucks
It doesn't suck, but getting locked into outrage is a nightmare if there's still a fairy out, without coil, stone edge isn't reliable, you'd have to switch out everytime a flyer, levitater or ballooner switches in after earthquake, and even with band, Espeed can only be used for revenge killing.

If I were to Zygarde? Camouflage, Extreme Speed, Coil/DDance, fourth undecided.
From my spectator opinions, the frequent number of Fairy-Dragon-Ice sent Z's way...

Curiosity has me wonder at damage calcs for STAB ESpeed versus
- Azumarill, Talonflame, Klefki, Scizor, Ferrothorn switches, other

All these pages about staying Ground/Dragon...

Last edited:
alright so I may have to change my views on this guy. This is the set I'm running on UU (beta)

Zyguard
Aura Break (useless ability) w/Leftovers
Impish 200hp 252def 56atk
-Glare
-Earthquake
-Dragon Tail
-Extreme Speed

Now yeah looking at it not the best set, you could do more, this thing need to get movetutor'd stealth rocks, blanblahblah. But holy jesus this thing is bulky...took 2 +2 Close Combats from a Jolly Virizion!? WHAT!? I never would've expected this thing to take 2 of them and then kill with a after the defense drops with EQ and ESpeed. Really this guy is fantastic when it wants to be...definitely underwhelming in terms of this Gen's (and in comparison last Gen's) legendary pokes but it'll definitely do great in Gen 6 UU

Since it doesn't look like he'll get the usage to be OU (:pirate:), and way more broken UU mons out there, I'd say we do kinda need to discuss Zygarde's future in the Underused tier. El Coqui 's set above is great for spreading paralysis while dealing some damage, and his coil sets are pretty amazing in UU with less people likely to carry ice moves for the dragons in OU (Though I'm still playing with EV's. 236 spe was designed specifically for things like Dragonite). I've even played with a banded outrage set, and have had reasonable success. What else makes sense for UU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)