Unpopular opinions

Xerneas literally has a powered down form
1709402776577.png

We don't need more

Unless we have powered down Yveltal, but that seems lame

I mean I don't think they need them, but Dialga and Palkia didn't need Origin formes either. I just think it's something likely. If they actually add lore to them or connect them more with Zygarde who is incredibly barebones, that would already justify them more. There was barely anything about them in the previous Kalos games, we don't even have their proper habitats. I don't see why we should assume anything new about them would be contradictory by nature even if it's unnecesary. It could even explain how they were able to power up the Ultimate Weapon without being megas. Context is impotant.

Most cover legendaries have form/fusions except the Tower Duo and the XY one and I completely expect that to change.

Last edited:
Aside from emerald being a shitty and childish child, he has a good history and good character development and the arc is really good.

it started from a child just caring about winning and winning til he met bill , at his battles, he didn’t realize he was cheering his pokemon up for motivation, and they even started to fight to see who loves emerald more, the way how the frontier brains despised him but later admired him because of his courage and bravery. He realized of his mistakes and changed everything.

and somewhat his wish came true to get friends yeah that’s cool.

emerald is a good arc change my mind

my most radical unpopular opinion when it comes to mainline pokemon games is the normalization of using NFEs.

It came to me when I was playing leafgreen a couple years ago, and tried out the bellsprout line for the first time. Around the 4th gym, I had acquired a leaf stone and was gonna evolve Taco, my Weepinbell. It had become the unofficial mascot of the team, and it was a bittersweet moment until it hit me

Why should I evolve weepinbell if I like it better than victreebel? Is the game so hard as to necessitate the extra stat buff? And so i sold my leaf stone, and carried on with my beloved Taco. While the rest of my team evolved, my favorite doofus remained as goofy as ever. View attachment 590409

And when the time came I rolled up vs champion SHID and he sent out his ace, the level 63 Blastoise, Taco was waiting. And Taco feasted. It's been years and I still cherish it. I can comfortably say that him being a Weepinbell made it much more memorable.

I bring this up because I'm playing Firered again and have a new favorite party member.View attachment 590410

Babby, destroyer of worlds. She's had the chance to evolve four times, and she'll have many more as the journey goes. Does not matter. Babby is babby. Pressing b a bunch of times is a small price to pay for keeping her story intact. And I cannot wait for her eventual rise to become champion.

Did we learn nothing from Ash and Pikachu? Are we so enslaved to numbers and optimization that we are hard coded to deny the chance for a better story? Pokemon is a game fueled by narrative. BREAK THE CHAINS OF EVOLUTION!

TLDR; keep your scrimblos scrimbly and enjoy your playthrough to the fullest

Just wanted to give an update that BABBY finally became a champion. Eyeing up a psyduck for next time
60FE4925-73FE-4DEA-88E9-3C13EAE562E1.jpeg

Pokemon is beat as the King of Rereleases and bullshit anti-consumer practices for JRPGs by Atlus.

Persona 5: DLC
Persona 5 Royal: full price rerelease + DLC
SMT Nocturne HD: shitty remaster with awful audio. high price. day 1 DLC.
SMT 5: DLC
Soul Hackers 2: $70 with day 1 DLC (story content too!!!)
Persona 5 Tactica: day 1 DLC
Persona 3 Reload: $70, DLC for old content lmaooo
SMT 5 Vengeance: $60 full price rerelease + DLC + if you want DLC included pay $70 LMAOOOO

Even Pokemon has made games like Legends Arceus but I cannot think of a recent Atlus title that is not this scummy

Pokemon is beat as the King of Rereleases and bullshit anti-consumer practices for JRPGs by Atlus.

SMT 5 Vengeance: $60 full price rerelease + DLC + if you want DLC included pay $70 LMAOOOO

Even Pokemon has made games like Legends Arceus but I cannot think of a recent Atlus title that is not this scummy
Why is Arceus being brought up here? It didn't even have DLC.

Ok, so here's my layman's understanding of P3 Reload: From what I've read and heard Persona 3 was semi-infamous for having a bunch of different versions, each with their own bits and bobs of content the others didn't have. The entire reason people wanted a remake at all was to take all these versions and consolidate them together into one definitive Persona 3 experience. Not only did Reload fail to do this at launch, not ONLY did it make the epilogue story "The Answer" paid DLC, but even after the DLC it is STILL missing features people wanted, most notably the female protagonist one of the aforementioned many versions added.

If I am correct on this and am not missing key context then I never want to hear anyone complain about the Battle Frontier ever again

So they caved and made The Answer DLC, huh? :totodiLUL:

Still wild that they cut the female protag, and I'm pretty sure the PC port has Denuvo. (For those unaware, Denuvo is an anti-piracy software infamous for tanking perfomance by around 10% or more)

Atlus has been about as hated as EA for a reason.

Ok, so here's my layman's understanding of P3 Reload: From what I've read and heard Persona 3 was semi-infamous for having a bunch of different versions, each with their own bits and bobs of content the others didn't have. The entire reason people wanted a remake at all was to take all these versions and consolidate them together into one definitive Persona 3 experience. Not only did Reload fail to do this at launch, not ONLY did it make the epilogue story "The Answer" paid DLC, but even after the DLC it is STILL missing features people wanted, most notably the female protagonist one of the aforementioned many versions added.

If I am correct on this and am not missing key context then I never want to hear anyone complain about the Battle Frontier ever again
Why can't I complain about both as someone who doesn't play Persona, or a friend complain who plays both and thinks both practices suck even if one sucks more?

imagine paying for atlus products lol just pirate that shit. persona 3 reload is annoying rn but you might as well pirate the old ones anyway they look better. and also play persona 2 innocent sin and eternal punishment.

unpopular opinion but only for a specific niche ig but i dont really get the usum hate from alola fans. yeah the story is less compact but theres some weird vitriol about it being disrespectful to abuse victims and like. idk man they probably just wanted to explore a world where lusamine was less of an ass that could be redeemed. I dont think its a statement that all abusive parents deserve a second chance or whatever. also the story isnt even that bad its completely serviceable for the franchise

You can't.

All of their recent games have DRM and no one is cracking them. Persona 3 Reload is not cracked. People are emulating the Switch version of Persona 5 Royal on PC. SMT 5 Vengeance will definitely have DRM. Etc.

Thats why u play original persona 3 and persona 2 and the og SMTs instead. also because theyre good games unlike the new ones LOL

unpopular opinion but only for a specific niche ig but i dont really get the usum hate from alola fans. yeah the story is less compact but theres some weird vitriol about it being disrespectful to abuse victims and like. idk man they probably just wanted to explore a world where lusamine was less of an ass that could be redeemed. I dont think its a statement that all abusive parents deserve a second chance or whatever. also the story isnt even that bad its completely serviceable for the franchise
Yung Dramps can probably write a thesis on this :totodiLUL:

maybe unpopular, but i don't get complaining BDSP didn't have a battle frontier when that concept was DEAD after gen 4. it's not in gen 5, it's not in gen 6 (including ORAS), it's not in gen 7. of all the platinum things to return, it was the least realistic to expect. :worrywhirl:
I have the opposite perspective: a lack of BDSP frontier would be fine if there was another modern Frontier instead. However, with everything being left behind, a remake held the best chances to get something of the sort. Which, to be fair, the BDSP Tower is still better than what SV offered.

I have the opposite perspective: a lack of BDSP frontier would be fine if there was another modern Frontier instead. However, with everything being left behind, a remake held the best chances to get something of the sort. Which, to be fair, the BDSP Tower is still better than what SV offered.
i get this perspective, but considering the reason they didn't add it to ORAS to begin with (masuda felt the concept was very unpopular), i think it just wasn't going to return in any fashion. i don't think this is on ilca being "too faithful" as many fans have put it, it's on gamefreak themselves.

maybe unpopular, but i don't get complaining BDSP didn't have a battle frontier when that concept was DEAD after gen 4. it's not in gen 5, it's not in gen 6 (including ORAS), it's not in gen 7. of all the platinum things to return, it was the least realistic to expect. :worrywhirl:
It would be one thing to still expect a proper Frontier after ORAS, but I don't blame anyone for wanting a remake to hit at least the same marks set by a ~15 year old iteration of the exact same games.

For my money, the BDSP Tower was Good Enough.

If the Frontier ever returns, it will be as DLC.

I said it back when BDSP was announced, historically, it's been on 3rd versions because of the extra dev time. The only exception was in HGSS, where they straight up just ported Plat's and called it a day.

So basically, I don't really see this fanbase actually putting their money where their mouth is and forking over some cash to get washed at the Frontier again.

BDSP's Tower at least sounds reasonably good enough from what I hear tho.

There were a lot of reasons to complain about that game, but the Frontier was definitely not one of them.

So, I'm not entirely sure where to put this, but this thread has evolved into a sort of "anything goes general discussion thread" of the subforum over the years. I guess that's just a way to say that we like to nitpick on everything about this franchise, to the point where "this surely must be unpopular, but I think that ..." is one of the most common sentiments a Pokémon fan can have.

So, anyway, the secondary types of fully evolved starter Pokémon. Recently, it's something I've given almost as much consideration as three-stage evolutions or the unfair treatment of Ice-types. I think it's fair to say that we're seeing a bit of repetition in this respect. After Gen IV, which is 18 years ago this year, we've really just seen five of the 15 possible types added to starter Pokémon as secondary typings (OK, if you want to be overly technical, it's 8 out of 18, because the game treats mono-type Pokémon as dual-type Pokémon where the primary and secondary types are the same). But recently, it's been a cavalcade of repetition between Fighting, Dark, Ghost, Psychic, and Fairy, with the occasional starter without a secondary type at all.

One explanation is that Game Freak consider these types "extra cool" and want to use them to give the starters a little bit of extra marketability. But I think a secondary factor also plays in: they want to preserve a rock-paper-scissors relationship between the fully evolved starters. In addition to the usual Fire-Water-Grass triangle, these five types create many possible combinations for other triangles. Fighting-Dark-Ghost is the most obvious one (Hisui, Gen IX), but there have been variants: Fighting-Dark-Psychic (Gen VI), and Ghost-Dark-Fairy (Gen VII). And of course the ever-so-popular nothing-nothing-Fighting of Gen V. Or nothing-nothing-nothing, as was the case in Gen VIII.

The problem is that there are only so many ways to apply five types to three Pokémon, while preserving a triangle, without making a lot of repeats. We've already seen Fire/Ghost used twice in a row, Fighting and Dark have been paired with every type already, Psychic can't fit in a triangle with both Fighting and Ghost or Dark and Ghost, nor can Fairy work with both Dark and Fighting. And if you use Ghost at all, you have to put Dark in there to give it a disadvantage, which locks the third member to Fighting or Fairy so a triangle can be completed.

But wait, why are they sticking to only those five types, again? That, I think is because, not only are those five types extra cool and work easily in triangles, but they have no type chart interactions with Grass, Fire, or Water. They don't interrupt the "sacred balance" of the original rock-paper-scissors typing triangle no matter how you apply them. There's the little exception that Fire resists Fairy, but it's a minor interaction while the other types have none at all (it does mean that whichever 'mon in the secondary triangle is supposed to have an advantage over the secondary type of the Fire starter can't be Fairy, though).

There are some unused combinations that remain, so that Game Freak can continue to use these five types without repeating types too many times. We're only one step away from having used Fire/Ghost as many times as Fire/Fighting. Water/Ghost and Fire/Fairy are still unused combinations for starter Pokémon, although it locks the third type to repeat Meowscarada's Grass/Dark. But what if I told you there was another way?

That's the key part I think I can pass for "Unpopular" enough to be relevant in this thread: the secondary starter type triangle can be balanced in neutrality. Instead of the starters having relative advantages over each other, outside the Fire/Water/Grass triangle, they can be neutral. While preserving Fire/Water/Grass. It's just a bit difficult. Because there's a reason why these five types are Game Freak's go-to types for starters. They don't mess with the FWG triangle, and few other types do that. Either, they give the starters undue resistance/weaknesses to each other's types, or make the triangle unbalanced so that one is clearly "the strong one", or worse, "the weak one".

But I think there are options still. Flying/Normal/Psychic, for instance. The only caveat is that the Grass starter would have to get the Flying type (flying creates an advantage vs. Grass, but neutrality towards the two other). That way, neither starter has relative advantages or disadvantages, and the standard Fire-Water-Grass triangle is preserved. Flying/Normal/Dark works equally well. Electric/Poison/Dark could work too, provided it's Water/Electric and Grass/Poison, so the offensive advantage of the secondary types vs. the primary aren't affecting the balance of the type traingle. Instead of Fire/Dark, Fire/Normal also works in that scenario.

Sadly, there are few types that fit neatly into the Fire-Water-Grass triangle like that. It works if they interact non-neutrally with one of the types, because then it can just be combined with the starter of that type, but far too many types interact with multiple starter types, or with the other possible combinations. Take for instance Ghost and Electric. No interactions with FWG (if the Electric-type is the Water starter), but there's no neutrality to be had with the remaining types (not even the go-to type for neutrality, Normal).

I suspect there are more combinations than I can think up at half past one in the morning on a Sunday, though. Are any of Smogon's many proficient scripters up for the job of discovering neutral starter type triangles, where the only relative advantages and disadvantages between the starters are those given by the primary types of Grass, Fire, and Water?

I don't think the reason for the limited variety in starter's secondary typings is out of a desire to stick to type advantage triangles, as every type besides Normal, Dragon, and arguably Ghost fits neatly into at least one (Grass/Ground/Poison, Ice/Ground/Rock, Electric/Water/Ground, Bug/Grass/Rock, Flying/Fighting/Rock, Fairy/Fighting/Steel all cover all the potential secondary types that haven't been used since Gen IV or at all in some cases, and there are others). Even Dragon and Normal can be implemented indirectly, for example Water/Normal, Grass/Fighting, Fire/Fairy or Grass/Dragon, Fire/Ice, Water/Rock. It's probably just the "cool" factor that explains why those types are chosen over and over.

Last edited:
Back