CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm loving the mystical/mythical ideas!

I would love to see Violet's in color. I think that'd be truly amazing. Once again Wyveri another great submission. So far, everything Caladbolg has put out has been great.

I'd say at this point Violet's is my favorite.

To me, the face is waaaaaay too much like Pyroak's. Can't say I'm a big fan of the boxy arms, either.

The level of detail in the "propeller" region is excessive. In fact, I'd advise you to simplify this design, as the propeller blades look much more like insect legs than what you intended. In fact, I'd say dropping that portion entirely wouldn't be a bad idea.

Fantastic. The style and design are very well-balanced.

Your best version yet! Definitely a contender so far.

This looks very metallic in nature -- much more like a Steel-type than a Rock-type. I'm liking the head, and the hands match that well, but the rest of it doesn't look much like anything else in Pokemon. A little too alien.

I am liking the professionalism of yours Cerbi. It is well drawn, but (as has been said) it is a little anthropomorphic and doesn't look quite like a pokemon.

Despite the egyptian theme that is going around now, I think Kopie's has a lot of potential in joining Xatu with a similar feel (maybe native american). I don't really know what it is, but it demands color.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Hi there.. this is the latest version for Easter Island based Pokemon. It's coloured... what Do you think about the colors/form/pose/etc?

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Ok, this is the last Art... I promise xD

An improved Gargoyle...with "Amatist Arms and Legs"... and a bigger tail with a Gem.

Its better Calad. More pokemon-ish, more special-ish, but without wings it is hard to tell what it is exactly. I don't know if that is necessarily bad though. I also liked the color scheme.

Kopie, I don't understand what I am looking at...

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Its better Calad. More pokemon-ish, more special-ish, but without wings it is hard to tell what it is exactly. I don't know if that is necessarily bad though. I also liked the color scheme.
Yeah, I'll give it an Amatist Wings, maybe...

Alright, so I'm back home. My scanner was making my sketches look like crap, so I just took some photos and cropped them. XP

Anyway, they're in pencil now, but I'll make sure to do the final in pen and color (perhaps I'll whip out some watercolors, in line with Sugimori's original artwork...). I'm not competent with computer art programs (yet), so don't expect anything like that from me on that front.

So, here it is, my initial idea sketch. It's the Rock from Outer Space, the Shooting Star, the Satellite from the Cosmos, it's...

THE COMET CAP POKEMON!

Yeah, okay, so it wasn't the greatest first sketch (I'll show you the better ones in a bit), but it outlined my initial features. Two things I wanted to keep under consideration were:
  • That the pokemon was going to be fast.
  • That the pokemon was going to have high special attack.
I also wanted it to be unique and interesting. Like everyone else, I initially thought of something jewel oriented, but I wanted something different. So, thinking of something sleek and fast, I designed an orb with an eye, like a geode with a bowl-shaped indenture carved into it. I made it more rock-like, and noticed similarities between it and a comet.

So I went with it.

Like I said, it's a comet, or just an extraterrestrial rock. The bowl-shaped carving reveals an inner geode crystal-thing (...yeah, it still has a jewel/crystal XP), with rock-like shutters covering the hole. In addition to having a practical reason (protecting the vulnerable innards of the pokemon), they, when combined with the crystal, appear as an eyeball, which adds to the special mystique I'm trying to work. They also aid in revealing emotion and personality.

Oh, and those rings around the crystal? They're supposed to imitate those rings you find inside geodes, kind of like this:

In addition to fitting the rock theme, they add a little visual pizazz and, again, aid in the personality.

Color scheme-wise, I'm open to suggestion, but I was thinking a light gray/lilac exterior, a ruby red crystal eye, deep purples and blues (...more indigo-ish) and such for the bowl and radiating lines, and that's it. Sometimes, though, I feel like I should just throw in some green somewhere (maybe the eye should be green...?).

Speed is accounted for in that, well, comets go fast.

Special is accounted for in that comets look like balls of light and energy, and the crystal eye could obviously be used for a plethora of special attacks.

It's design is simplistic, yet very effective. (I'd also say it looks in line with other Sugimori designs...)

Finally, it's nature provides plenty of opportunity for flavor text. Call it an alien pokemon. Say that it generates geothermal power through a crystalline core. Etc.

Anyway, that's my basic argument/explanation. Now I'll go through my other sketches and explain them.

First, here are the other initial sketches:

This is a cross-section of the poke without the eye shutters. I didn't know how I could even sketch it so that you could tell the center was bowl-shaped, but you can imagine that, with the crystal at the bottom of the bowl.

(BTW, I later took more liberties with the crystal eye being in the center. Technically, sometimes the eye should not be visible from certain perspectives, but I went ahead and kinda... popped it out. What do you all think? Does it add to the character that the "pupil" of the eyeball is sometimes not visible, or should liberties be taken?)

Side-view, and also an alternative sphere-design. I tried making it look smooth with a circle emblem on the side, but it almost looks like it's made out of steel. I tried making rings that radiate from the eye to the back, like the geode rings above (they would kind of pulsate and actually move on the rock surface, giving a visceral sense of movement or energy). I'm not sure how I feel about it -- what do you all think?

Just an example of the eye beam. Didn't like how the actual pokemon turned out...

Aww, how cute. It's almost like they came from the same game... ;)

Comet pokemon using Draco Meteor against Lucario. :P

BITCH BE TRIPPIN' BALLS!

-------

Alright, here's the last of the pics. They're various design options I'm tinkering with, and I'd love some opinions. I've labelled the sketches by letter, so you can follow along:

A) You can see the two crystal eye centers to the right of A. Can't really tell from the photo, but I'm basically asking what type of crystal do you prefer: Staryu-esque or Starmie-esque?

B) Eye shutter design? The first doesn't really allow for the bowl-shape thing, and I originally envisioned the second design, but I'll go with popular opinion.

C) Smooth shell design or no? Radiating geode rings or nay? (They may be too visually overbearing...)

D) Do I need an anatomical structure to explain how it moves at high-speed? If I do, should I have a convex crystal-esque booster, or a concave bowl-type thruster? What about those four little rock structures, are they appealing? How should I arrange them?

E) Although I'm pretty sure I want to keep them, what about geode-esque radiations from the crystal eye?

F) How should it move at high-speed? Should it just propel itself without explanation? Should it use its eye as an engine and rocket backwards through space? Or should I add the engine-thing on the back?

-------

That's it! Thanks for reading! If this design gets support, I'll work on a final draft submission! (Although, I need to do it either this weekend, or wait until next weekend, whenever I'm at home.)

Hi there.. this is the latest version for Easter Island based Pokemon. It's coloured... what Do you think about the colors/form/pose/etc?

I'm thinking color in the "claydol-esque" lines the same color/accent color as the gems and maybe a more marble-eqsue appearance. I like the first pose better, maybe just pull the arms/legs back like he's jumping into/back from a fray.

Alright guys, our Pokemon should give the image of being fast and frail. Jewelry idea was right on spot, so I suggest the idea of a single-celled gem organism (I favor an euglena myself ) The cytoplasm would probably be an uncut, transparent sapphire or aquamarine (This in particular is the body shape I was imagining, if a bit longer. ) with a brightly colored "eye spot" (Garnet? Ruby?), nucleus, chloroplasts (Jade?) and various other organelles inside (and even partially outside. ) so our Pokemon would overall resemble a jewel ore (It's not uncommon for various crystals to grow on each other) and a structure chart for the base organism (I take it you've all seen animal cell/plant cell/euglana/paramecium structure charts before)

Perhaps eyes can be added as well (Tiny, black bug eyes on euglana look cute. ) and another jewel (A smaller aquamarine perhaps, so the Pokemon multiplies by literally growing a copy on its "tail" ?) can adorn the end of its flagellum.
Quoted because the previous post is deleted. Here are pictures to supplement the idea.

http://www.mysticmerchant.com/vogelstylequartz/vogquartz2500-63mm.jpg
http://www.mysticmerchant.com/vogelstylequartz/vogquartz12fc82-22mm.jpg

Faceted transparent quartz, second one has impurities (/organelles!) inside.

http://www.prettyrock.com/php/images/clear-quartz-points-ww-12082005-1-1.jpg

Uncut quartz

http://www.rkm.com.au/EUGLENA/EUGLENA-labels-600.jpg

Euglena structure chart

I might try to draw something, but I can't draw anything with straight lines so it will probably end up being pretty messy.

It could use a tail, Lofty. Not just a vapor trail, but some sort of literal tail. It'd be an interesting twist on actual comets.

Really... it just needs SOMETHING. Obviously most people would agree that Electrode isn't the greatest of designs itself. Give it something so that it isn't a copy of The Ancient One from Golden Sun, okay? Not saying it's intentional, but... yeah, it could use some kind of design element to set it apart from a rock with an eyeball.

That said, the picture with Lucario is pretty good, aye?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hmm....Lofty's idea does intrigue me quite a bit.

I'm no geologist, but there are a lot of rocks and crystals with very special properties, not the least of with being Quartz.

Imagine if you will a Quartz Geode inside it allowing it to use Roar of Time >_>.

Either way it allows for more possibilities than just say, ramming or beam attacks. It it's a Comet, it could also probably use Ice attacks.

I say keep going with the Meteoroid concept. Sure, we have Solrock and Lunatone (And Claydol to some extent), but they are more thematic of more familar celestial bodies, whereas Comets open up a whole new world of potential.

Dark Void? Cosmic Power? Iron Defense? Magnet Rise?

Meteoroids have a lot of options based solely on the properties inherent in crystallized ores. Looks pretty cool from here. Magnetized ores could be used for electric attacks, Ice could be used for, umm, Ice attacks. I could even see some more obscure things like Flame Wheel based on entry into Earth's Atmosphere or something.

I agree with Anymouse, you should add some personal flairs. Maybe a few asymmetrical crystal formations, one that resembles a row of spikes, another a lance, etc.

Actually, i think in this case the more craggy and asymmetrical it appears, the better. It changes it from a non-descript space rock to a pokemon that has learned to use each of its structures as a different weapon, or something. Maybe closer to the eye surface, you could have something that looks like those open geodes that Alper posted. Definate candidates for beam-like attacks or refraction abilities or whatever.

Not that I know anything about making art, but this has a lot of potential to be explored, and we'll be doing stat polls for quite a while, so you have ample time.

Yeah an asteroid, comet, meteor, does sound really good for this CAP but I don't think the thing you presented has a chance to win as of now.

Lofty I say try to combine elements of Glalie, Haunter, and your Comet Pokemon together and see what comes out.

Edit: A Pokemon based around Comets would be stellar. Sleek, Simple, and can possibly learn alot of moves in the process. It could work out great.

Hey those promising words helped the other guy create a masterpiece so I thought it might help you as well.
They also got you in trouble for being a bit offensive... :/

It could use a tail, Lofty. Not just a vapor trail, but some sort of literal tail. It'd be an interesting twist on actual comets.
I'm not opposed to adding something, but I do prefer purposeful simplicity in designs, so I wouldn't want to do it without good reason.

I'll think about it, but I'll need more advice about how to actually execute adding a physical tail to a comet. Would it be made out of a string of rocks, or some sort of ectoplasm?

Really, though, besides an aura tail, there's not much I could add without it looking like sperm. (Or, at least, that's all I can think of, lol.)

Give it something so that it isn't a copy of The Ancient One from Golden Sun, okay?
Haha, I guess it does look a little like The Ancient One, ya?

Actually, when I was making it, I was thinking of this:

Which, and this just may be me... I think is pretty awesome. HAL, I mean. :P

(Also explains why I like simplicity, specifically in regards to this design...)

That said, the picture with Lucario is pretty good, aye?
Thanks! Did that just this afternoon before class...

EDIT: What about orbiting satellite objects? Not saying I'll add them, but that would be more to my taste (although, I still feel it would take away from the sleekness/simplicity of it all).

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow, I don't know what Diablo is talking about, but I really like the comet.
(That Lucario picture is just plain badass)

I think that it could have a few more defining features though, perhaps its exterior could be a bit more pocket filled, and the lips of the craters could extend a bit further out, if only to give it a more defined shape.

I think that an aura trail of ice/rocks could be used behind it, once again, if only to give it a more defined shape.

As far as the design choices, I prefer the Starmie-esque eye, and the bowl shape (think it was choice "b"). I just think they look better.
Also, go with the aura swirls around they eye, they define the Pokemon better.

But I think that too many additions would taint the pokemon, its elegance is in its simplistic design. Too many add-ons and fanboyish tones will taint it.

Can't wait to see this thing inked and colored

I don't think it looks bad at all Lofty. A little simple maybe, but that is the idea. Smogon's mascot is a shit rock by your standards, diablo.

I think the more of a facial expression you can give it the better. It needs to be able to express emotion. Of the pictures, the ones in action really gave me a better fell of anatomy and movement. I'm glad you took the time to develop it so thoroughly. I still can't really tell the difference between the alternate designs, but I know I like the rocky looking one, and I think it should fly unexplicably.

You have a good concept going here Lofty. I knew it would be when you first hinted at a comet. The biggest challenge I see is that yours will not stand against some of the more intricate designs (being a ball and whatnot). You could also run into trouble not being able to digitally render, though your final submission could end up alot cleaner than the skatches. I don't know. Good job though. :)

EDIT: I see what people are saying about differentiating it from a rock. I think a tail is unnecessary though. At least as part of the permanent design. I can see this thing just gravitationally control surrounding rocks. Like picking them up and having them circle around him if he needs for defense OR offense. (kinda like having the pikmin in SSBB). The more I think about it, the more this grows on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)