CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comet FTW!!

I really like it, but like the above posters said, a tail would help it a lot. But don't add anything else... the roundness and simplicity is perfect.

Hi there.. this is the latest version for Easter Island based Pokemon. It's coloured... what Do you think about the colors/form/pose/etc?
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/1053/45006838.JPG
I think it could look cool in black possibly, mixed maybe with normal brownish rock colors? I dunno, experiment, but the white I'm unsure about. The pose is cool but would be better if it were standing, it looks like it's leaping, minor nitpick but yea. One of my favorite designs so far next to that other rock particle thing

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
They also got you in trouble for being a bit offensive... :/

I'm not opposed to adding something, but I do prefer purposeful simplicity in designs, so I wouldn't want to do it without good reason.

I'll think about it, but I'll need more advice about how to actually execute adding a physical tail to a comet. Would it be made out of a string of rocks, or some sort of ectoplasm?

Really, though, besides an aura tail, there's not much I could add without it looking like sperm. (Or, at least, that's all I can think of, lol.)

Haha, I guess it does look a little like The Ancient One, ya?

Actually, when I was making it, I was thinking of this:

Which, and this just may be me... I think is pretty awesome. HAL, I mean. :P

(Also explains why I like simplicity, specifically in regards to this design...)

Thanks! Did that just this afternoon before class...

EDIT: What about orbiting satellite objects? Not saying I'll add them, but that would be more to my taste (although, I still feel it would take away from the sleekness/simplicity of it all).
Adding other objects would be a flourish, since I imagine this comet would have some level of magnetic or rock controlling power.

What if you made the tail out of a small series of microscopic granules that reshaped into visible crystals on the aft of the pokemon when the main body is stationary? When released they break apart into dust and push the pokemon forward with magnetic properties. It wouldn't require a great deal of effort, just a flavor explanation.

For design elements you only need 4 or so small symmetrical crystals surrounding the "thruster" on the back. Imagination takes it from there.

Insofar as emotion, a single eyeball works pretty well for Magnemite, and all the Regis do is flash their braille paterns. This could do the same ting using its eys and flashing crystals in different colors or whatever.

Ubermunch how is Koffing a shit rock. It actually has detail, way to diss Smogon's mascot. XD.

Your comet doesn't NEED to have facial expressions or express emotion.

I'm sorry my standards don't accept a literal rock as a pokemon that is more plain then Geodude. Just think how creative the spriting will be :D

As you can see the backsprite shows off the rocks good side...

I'm liking the comet, Lofty. I don't know what Diablo is talking about with the "shit rock" comments; not every Pokémon has to have a million things on it, teeth, claws and looking like Garchomp. As I believe someone here once put it, "Not giant lizard monsters." We've got simpler-looking things like Blissey too.

I agree with several others that although it should be simple, it's also very plain. There's a subtle difference between those two things. One idea for consideration is that you could give it a little Greek spin and give it some small ( read: not anime huge ) rock or crystal wings, sort of like what ( used ) to be on the gargoyle from a few pages back.

As for your questions:

A. Staryu-esque crystal.
B. I don't quite understand this, but I like how you made the eye in the multi-Poke drawings.
C. Rocky, no freaky shiny rings.
D. Didn't quite understand this either. I think you're looking at this too scientifically. We're talking Pokémon here, man. Birds can survive underwater, a hedgehog can turn into a reindeer and completely smooth balls explode inexplicably at the slightest movement. Just chillll, mannnn. B)
E. Keep the rings.
F. Inexplicable movement. Again, it's a Pokémon.

EDIT: Agreeing with the others that the Draco Meteor picture rocks.

I tried sketching out your design after looking at the pic below and adding to it a bit, to see what it'd look like with different types of tails at different angles. Suffice to say I haven't found anything that seems to do the trick.

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/images/content/about/news_items/image_comet.jpg

Something that did seem more interesting, though, was to sort of "flatten" him out a tad, so that he was an oblong shape. You know, give him some love handles on the sides, there. Since tails weren't working (sperm-like indeed), I thought about other sorts of celestial designs. Two major ones came to mind: the ring and the spiral.

It's your project, so I feel hesitant to post another version of your idea... but take all that babble into consideration and see if any of it sparks something.

You say you don't know what I am talking about Presumptious but then you say it is also very plain, effectively agreeing with what I just said above you.

Warrants a face-palm but I'm too lazy.

I'm sorry if you didn't understand me Diablo, but again I repeat myself that plain and simple are not the same in my opinion for the purpose of my comment, the aim of which was constructive.

I think that it could have a few more defining features though, perhaps its exterior could be a bit more pocket filled, and the lips of the craters could extend a bit further out, if only to give it a more defined shape.
I agree, and the final design will have more defined texture/features on it, but much more and it looks too busy and poofy, like cheese, or those puffin thingies from Metroid Prime. (I actually sketched the poke with more craters and stuff, and that's what it looked like.)

With bumps and textures, my reference design was Weezing:

That's the level of crater/texture type of stuff you can expect to see.

I think that an aura trail of ice/rocks could be used behind it, once again, if only to give it a more defined shape.
I agree with this too, at least with an aura/energy trail. I actually did use floating rock particles in one sketch (DBZ-style), and it works well... but mostly when it is levitating in place. Combining the tail and particles can look awkward, but when the tail is absent, the particles fill in that extra ethereal void missing from its design. I think there will always be either an aura, aura tail, or levitating particles included in his design, just not all necessarily at the same time.

But I want to avoid ice particles, in case people want to claim this is Ice/Rock...

As far as the design choices, I prefer the Starmie-esque eye, and the bowl shape (think it was choice "b"). I just think they look better.
Also, go with the aura swirls around they eye, they define the Pokemon better.
Sounds good. :)

---------

From the other comments, it sounds like I'm going to have to keep that aura tail permanent. Or, add some other sort of tail. (After reading more comments: Or, maybe not...)

As for features and definition, there's still those little rock projections (I was thinking of a satellite when adding them). I could add another set of four to the front face (around the eye). If you want more definition, then give me some feedback on the engine-thing design on the back.

I am going to shoot for simplicity and an elegant design, though, no compromise on that. It's an intentional design decision.

---------

Oh, more comments! I should refresh more!

I'm reading everything and taking all comments under consideration, you can be sure of that.

X_Presumptuous, while I couldn't care less about realism (no, really, the best ideas are always abstract in origin), I know a lot of other people do. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have a thruster per se, but just a design for its back. I just don't want to get points taken off from voters because they "just don't get how it can fly through space" (and yet, capturing and training monsters in miniscule capsules is perfectly logical...).

ANinyMouse, you can post whatever you like, I don't mind. I want to see what you're talking about.

Also, you can back me up now whenever I say that adding a tail will make it look awkward. :P

(Like I said, I already tested a bunch of designs on scratch paper, and the design really does work best with a small but effective number of key features.)

-------

I'm going to try adding little rock satellites tomorrow, but I fear it will make the comet look like it is visually "dragging", if you know what I mean. I may also bring back the circles on the side and make the four rock protrusions (which are there in the Lucario, Pikachu, and Voltorb/Golem sketches, they're probably just too hard to see in pencil/sketch form, and will be noticeably more identifiable in an inked version) and a constant aura more visually prominent. But really, anything more...

If you don't believe me, try sketching it yourself. ;)

I'll post a sketch for your design later on today, Lofty. If it'll help, it's enough to keep me motivated.

I also wouldn't mind posting an original idea of mine, but it's anyone's guess if I ever get to that.

Alright, here's the last of the pics. They're various design options I'm tinkering with, and I'd love some opinions. I've labelled the sketches by letter, so you can follow along:

A) You can see the two crystal eye centers to the right of A. Can't really tell from the photo, but I'm basically asking what type of crystal do you prefer: Staryu-esque or Starmie-esque?

B) Eye shutter design? The first doesn't really allow for the bowl-shape thing, and I originally envisioned the second design, but I'll go with popular opinion.

C) Smooth shell design or no? Radiating geode rings or nay? (They may be too visually overbearing...)

D) Do I need an anatomical structure to explain how it moves at high-speed? If I do, should I have a convex crystal-esque booster, or a concave bowl-type thruster? What about those four little rock structures, are they appealing? How should I arrange them?

E) Although I'm pretty sure I want to keep them, what about geode-esque radiations from the crystal eye?

F) How should it move at high-speed? Should it just propel itself without explanation? Should it use its eye as an engine and rocket backwards through space? Or should I add the engine-thing on the back?

-------

That's it! Thanks for reading! If this design gets support, I'll work on a final draft submission! (Although, I need to do it either this weekend, or wait until next weekend, whenever I'm at home.)
Wow, this is the toughest art decision ever: Easter Island, Gryphinx, and this guy. So far I think this is becoming my favorite.

A: Startyu-type. Starmie-type doesn't work with the internal rings.

B: Type 2, IE your original

C: I really like your current external design. A nice natural stone shape, all cratered and irregular.

D: I think three crystal structures. One top-ish and centered and two on the bottom half. About 3/4 of the body structure back. Or just not have anything at all.

E: Must keep

F: I slightly favour no explanation, but back thrusters are cool.

I did some sketches, and I'd like some C&Cs before I continue on with the lineart and coloring. (:

I changed the posture of my sphinx, crouching on a pedestal gargoyle-esque. I also added a couple of floating rocks, to show it using AncientPower. Changed the tail because it looks too much like Meowth's/Persian's. Hopefully it looks less anthropomorphic this time:

I also sketched on sometihng else. Initially I wanted to make a lanky gem-embedded gargoyle on a pedestal (like my sphinx) but then I saw a sketch of a pyramid guy on a sphere in the previous posts, and I thought maybe it would be cool if I had my bejeweled gargoyle have a pyramid-shaped floating prism as feet. And I come Up with this:

And I made another one, this time basing my drawing on a buraq, a mythical creature of Islamic lore. IIRC, some tombs are also decorated with statues of buraqs, which act as guardians (like the sphinx). I also based tihs drawing slightly on camels (minus the humps), because camels are 'guardians of the desert', ferrying people across the harsh barren sands. Again, a little bit of Egyptian embellishments on the poke.

Comments? :D

Max

yadig
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TBH it looks just like another little shit rock to me. No pokemon-y features, eyes, mouth, really just a little shit rock.
never make another post like this again. he took the time to create and draw his idea, so do not make another insulting post or you will be infracted.

There was the original design of my obsidian arrowhead shaped pokemon, which has recently evolved a body.

For this design I tried to draw heavily from images of the aztec god Quetzalcoatl.

I ran with the feathered serpent idea-- those scale looking things would most likely be colored brown to contrast with an obsidian black head and body. Also, drawing from the gargoyle ideas, I really love the idea of flightless, ornamental wings. The wings may have to be toned down or changed significantly, but for now I think they look cool.

Here's another view:

Also, can one of you seasoned digital artists recommend a good free (or easily pirated) image editor for doing illustrations? I have a tablet that's going to waste in ms paint. Thanks.

Cerbi, I think the sphinx design still fits the theme best so far, if only because it looks very mobile, and thus, fast.

Your other two designs are really creative, too, and I don't see anything particularly offsetting about them at all -- I just think your sphinx outshines them by virtue of looking speedy.

By the way, the new pose looks rad. I like how it keeps the serious look on its face, even when in the heat of battle.

EDIT: Holy crap, Drybones. Those are wicked.

drybones, thats an amazing contribution. i'm somewhat of a flavor whore, and almost none of these designs disappoint in that aspect so far, but the use of an obsidian quetzacoatal is very inspired. nice work.

heres a comet idea i had, from reading the boards. Colour-wise i was thinking a white head and a the "tail" sorta bluey, like my last idea

The blue colour scheme from this one:

Sorry about the lined paper and lack of colour, its really just a first idea to get a reaction from you guys!

My skills at drawing, are sub-par; I haven't used paint for a very long time, and paint wasn't particularly co-operative, but I tried. Unfortunately, I drew the thing in a pose from behind, so the eye (that black thing in the middle that, if it had a cross instead of being completely black, would've been a scope) is unidentifiable. Originally I was going to have it with four legs, but I had trouble picturing how it'd move quickly, so I decided to add in the purply-orange stuff at the last minute and say that the legs were mainly to dig in whilst it attacked.

Thanks for the comments!

I think we should steer clear of anything that looks remotely similar to the any of the other CAP projects. The theme is completely different so far, but it can be easy to accidentally make something that looks like syclant.

That being said, I think we should make another non humanoid pokemon; I love those avatars floating around of Fidget... non humanoid but probably has the most character of any pokemon ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)