CAP 7 CAP 7 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Doug's story should be the Pokedex entry :P

I'm liking Doug's and Wyverii's the best so far, keep up the good work everyone

I'm not sure which one looks better. I need opinions.

Here's the before crack effect.

That's the after crack version. ^

The whole idea of mine was armor with sword limbs. (ghostly sword limbs ;D)
Any suggestion for this dude? I'm really trying to make it look cool... I just need criticism for it.

What will further determine that this is a scout is:
It can portal hop!

Alternate colors, red and light gold.

The portal is new. Imagine a sphere of colored energy, then it splits into four spheres each unfolding a corner of the diamond shaped gateway. Almost like spreading a picnic blanket... then BOOM! The fox blazes right through it's exit and onto scouting the opponent before leaving via another portal. Although this is only PART of my fox showing, it will not be my final submission in any way. Possibly only supporting material.

I would seriously like everyone's opinion of this. Which color should I use in my final pose?
Does the increased size of the crow's feet marks help in any way? Is it just right and i'm trying too hard?

And yes, I intentionally made a portal to cover the rump, since I haven't decided what I should do with it yet. I like the front and shoulder masks but what?

EDIT: Also I think Doug's story is great! Very, very, detailed. The Skelemons remind me of the Primids from Super Smash Brother's Brawl.

I've been lurking this forum since CAP 4, and I thought I'd finally try at contributing to the CAP art process:

It was difficult to merge the rigidness of robots with the fluidity of ghosts, but I finally came up with this. Fairly simple: an R2-D2-esque type bot with a silhouette of the typical tattered ghost cloth (along with the infamous ghost face). The radar on its chest and the antennae could be used to fit the 'scouting' theme, sensing if there are any critical moves or items on the opposing pokemon.

I really do love the design, Wyverii, but have you tried messing around with the huge head-spike? It seems a bit out of place to me.

Wyverii, I absolutely LOVE it.
That design definetly has my vote.
I think it takes a cool direction with the Steel/Ghost typing.
It it definetly, quirky, which makes it even MORE awesome.

@Wyverii, I think the colors should be a little more menacing. Some more strings joining the parts would be really great too.

@Elegy, Those holes in the side of the body we be really great if they were pit like, voids of darkness and devoured knowledge of the opposing poke.
Also, behind the mask, there should look like there is a head, maybe with some ghostly trails, or zombie parts. The joints at the front could be a little sharper, like razors for the steel element, or anything else for that matter. You know what else would be cool is floating portal balls around the creature (exclude the ghostly flames).

What will further determine that this is a scout is:
It can portal hop!

Alternate colors, red and light gold.

I would seriously like everyone's opinion of this.
I think you're moving in the right direction, but ditch the temp portal. Give it a defined and easily recognizable silhouette and some additional body detail, I don't want this guy falling into "hollow" territory if you get my drift.

I've been lurking this forum since CAP 4, and I thought I'd finally try at contributing to the CAP art process:

It was difficult to merge the rigidness of robots with the fluidity of ghosts, but I finally came up with this. Fairly simple: an R2-D2-esque type bot with a silhouette of the typical tattered ghost cloth (along with the infamous ghost face). The radar on its chest and the antennae could be used to fit the 'scouting' theme, sensing if there are any critical moves or items on the opposing pokemon.
It's pretty nice, I'd move it as far away as possible from looking too steel or else people might start feeling that electricity is his secondary rather than ghost.

After hearing comments for and against, I've decided not to use the ribcage. I also did some action sketches (I'll post them later) and felt like the ribcage really got in the way. If that's the case with pencil sketching at unlimited size, then I can only imagine the problems for spriting. Here's the "final sketch", with minor updates to the hands:

-snip-

I also have a background story for this pokemon. While the tale below is generally considered a legend, I have it on good authority that it is based on the actual facts behind the origin of the Steel Ghost. Take it for what it's worth...

The Fable of the Steel Ghost:
A Bedtime Story for Young Trainers​

-snip-
I really liked this picture, it look very ghastly to me. The background story behind it is also impressive.

Zari

What impossible odds?
is a Contributor Alumnus
changed it up a bit since last post

If anyone could give advice on color schemes or just art advice in general is very welcome. I'm thinking of changing the body, but not the hands.
Thanks.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
KoA, I say you should keep him until you find something that you truly believe is a keeper. Overall it's similar to Cala's chainchomp design but with some Megaman NT warrior for added flavor.

A little late to the party:

The Phantom of the opera wrapped inside of a haunted cuckoo clock.

I wanted something that looked like it would battle with a "peekaboo scare tactic" approach.

Animations and the usual affairs to come.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
A little late to the party:

The Phantom of the opera wrapped inside of a haunted cuckoo clock.

I wanted something that looked like it would battle with a "peekaboo scare tactic" approach.

Animations and the usual affairs to come.
Hey Cartoons! That's original and I'm a big fan of your designs, but I don't like it so much.

Cartoons!
The design is a bit confusing, but very original, but you should tweak the major designs a bit.
*agreeing with calad*

I know I'm going to get bashed for it, but it's inevitable, Cartoons. That design is awesome but it looks like it is Dark/Flying.
*shot*
*bangbangbang in the distance*

I knew I show that design somewhere before. We need more MM inspirited Pokemon in CAP :P (except Aquaman from MM8, the (BAN ME PLEASE) >_>). Wasn't they're a few "ghostly" themed robots within the MM series you can use as a basics for another design?
I was actually thinking of submitting a version of Shadowman.EXE, not the one from the games. Maybe a combination of him and Phantom from MMZ, but it turned out to be a little too complicated.

hmm, is there perhaps anything specific you don't like? perhaps the lose the clock hands on the chest and neck to de-clutter it a bit?

I know I'm going to get bashed for it, but it's inevitable, Cartoons. That design is awesome but it looks like it is Dark/Flying.
ah yeah, the Dark comparisons...I dunno, most Ghost Pokemon look like they could be Darks too, and besides Gastly, they tend to have pretty solid forms. Oh well, it's starting to look like I'll have to scrap this design anyway. I kind of liked it, but we're not in the business of pleasing ourselves!

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I knew I show that design somewhere before. We need more MM inspirited Pokemon in CAP :P (except Aquaman from MM8, the (BAN ME PLEASE) >_>). Wasn't they're a few "ghostly" themed robots within the MM series you can use as a basics for another design?
Quite a bunch:

http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/Classic/MM7/Enemy/shadeenemysheet.gif
http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/Classic/MM7/Boss/FortressBoss/mm7w3mask.gif
http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/Classic/MM7/Boss/8Boss/mm7shademan.gif
http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/X/X5/Boss/FortressBoss/rmx5_shadowdevil.gif

The MEgaman series is a great place for inspiration. Even better though are the Castlevania series.

Speaking of which, I got an idea for another design. yay.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have a few more concepts to be critiqued. Don't worry, everyone who supported my previous concepts, I haven't abandoned them just yet. I'm just getting ideas out atm.

This is a possessed sword, with a large grin and a mean stare. I added metal rings to the lower middle section to make it resemble a hilt. The large grin is also supposed to resemble a crack. I also came up with a notched version, but it seems the server preferred the clean version. Which one do you guys prefer?

These two additional concepts were more idle thoughts than anything serious (especially the mecha fog ghost monstrosity), but I thought I'd like to share them anyway. The upper left design is, as I've mentioned, a mecha fog ghost. Its spirit is held within the suit, and the spirit leaks out of various places. It also has an antenna on its dome of a head.

The lower right design is a ghost in a spiky top. Basically, its a ghost with a metal jaw that lives in a spike-laden top. That's all there is to it really -_-

Also, I'm working on tweaks on the Metal Skeleton and Banshee. As I've said before, all comments and suggestions are welcome!

Ok, well heres what I hope to be my final submission, after I do some fine tuning and pretty it up a bit. I decided to shade the red hair stuff so its actually cloth and not ectoplasm.

Since there are a lot of knights floating around (literally), I was hoping to make my design look more like a gladiator to differenciate it from the other submissions. Also, coming up is another idea I have. I'll give one clue, its evil, ghostly, and can slink down stairs!

Criticism is as always welcome!

Cyzir beat me, I actually prefer the second submission, but only if you remove the ring from its noggin, it makes me think of a Teletubby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)