Tattoos.

I got a tattoo today really enjoying it.

Just wanted to make a thread to discuss tattoos and your opinions on them.

Can also post pictures and what not, if you do post pictures maybe write out the reason you got it.

why did you get that cool generic tattoo?

I have oft thought about getting a tattoo of my first gecko, on my left forearm. It has deep meaning to me as a symbol of survival, as petri lived through fucking hell with her genetic condition as I fought until the wee hours of the morning (only to get up early for work the next day) just to ensure she would be more comfortable (yeah, calcium issues from her hyperparathyroid- only calcium feedings is a temp solution sadly). I eventually had to kill her myself because she spent her days uncognitive and seizuring so bad that she eventually lost her tail to it. Somehow her struggle reminds me of my aunts losing struggle with ovarian turned brain/spine cancer and the hopelessness of it all and getting a gecko is less creepy than getting my aunts face.

But alas, I don't think tattooing is for me.

My best friend has his paratrooper wings tattooed, which is rad, generic "biomechanical" sleeve, generic metallica half-sleeve, generic dragon shoulder tat, generic arm band of stripes and a star and a generic world war 1 and 2 tribute where the craters look like volcanoes. Ah, those nazis and their notorious volcano cannons! Honestly, why do people go into tat parlours and say "I want a dragon please make it cool thanks" and then walk off, expecting something non-generic or cool?

My ex had a sun tattoo on his upper right breast. It was fairly awesome.

As for me, I've never really wanted to get a tattoo, but sometimes I see something and I think "wow, I would definitely like that inked on my body".

I go that generic tattoo because I've wanted a skateboard tattoo for a while. I a lot I have going on in my life has come from skateboarding and I hope I can find a future in skateboarding, not by going professional but maybe own a skateshop. Its really the one thing I can say has influenced a lot of what I do.

Hah, I'm glad you took it in stride I was just joshing you about the generic thing.

I do think that this thread would be 100% better if people gave the reasons behind the tattoos they have or are considering; maybe add that to the OP for people who are wanting to have their shit read but not read everyone elses.

The main issue I have with tats is that I have seen first hand how they sag with your body- and if you check the smogon photo album, you'll see how my body has sagged from a 17 year old skinny as hell national champion wrestler. I dunno, I Just feel that reasons for things fade and eventually you'll feel they are ass. However, if you really do care about it and it means alot; go for it I guess. I'm just in favor of taking your time, if tatting is something you love, to make sure you run out of ideas before you run out of space. By that I mean think on an idea for a long while- you might realize it was a rash decision later and wish you had give it more thought.

My girlfriend has a cat silhouette on her left foot that looks pretty awesome, especially since it's in a random place like her foot. She really likes cats :]

I've been thinking about getting one, but I would have a hard time deciding on what and I'm not sure if I'd want to live with it. I hear tattoos are addicting though

this reminds me of that pokemon tattoos thread in IR a while ago. I'm thinking I could pull off a small pokeball on my shoulder, and the nostalgia factor would make it cool

when i decide exactly how i want it done, i am going to get RUTHLESS in big bold letters on my chest. ruth is the name of my mother who died when i was very young. it would be a very important tattoo for me, plus it's be great because people who don't know me would look at it and assume i was some asshole who thinks he's tough shit.

(apologies for massive image dump)
still need to get roses coloured in, going to get a chestpiece (I had a fucking brilliant idea for it.. but forgot), getting my left arm sleeved with the lyrics to the Manic Street Preachers' Yes, and the right arm 3/4 sleeved with either the lyrics to the Manics' Faster or possibly something off their new album if it grabs me enough; might get the kitty covered up with the cover art from Watchmen's 'Look on my works, Ye Mighty' (you know, the bit with the butterfly), going to get my left calf covered with I'm not sure what yet, getting 'Un chien Andalusia' written on my lower back, a little red star behind my ear and most probably something on my feet. I'm going to verry possibly if I decide I don't ever mind about gainful employment get the greek letters Alpha and Lambda on the back of my hands. That's about it, I think..

edit: oh yeah, and something to at least partially cover up both thighs. I'm covered in scars from my emo youth, so I might as well get them covered up with pretty pictures and prance around in shorts and short sleeves for my glory days.

^ Cool. The stars look great.
And I love Un Chien Andalou. I'm in a band inspired by silent film and OG shit. :)
Why do you want that text on you though? It means An Andulasian Dog. >__>

As for me;
I am getting a dinosaur that my friend drew. It's super cute.
A barcode with the central lines bent to resemble a cage something escaped from.
Empty cartoon panels that I will fill in with the best moments of my life as I go along.
A square inside a circle. Obligatory band tattoo.
And a skeleton with its hand on its heart with the text:
"Love your friends. Die laughing."
Which is also a band tattoo, technically.
but since I'll be old and hate hardcore and screamo someday I'm not putting any actual names. haha.

Someday. :)

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
holy shit akuchi those tattoos are awesome

I haven't thought of anything I really want to get inked yet but the more I think about it the more I'm sure I'll get something done.

Would getting a tattoo that says, "This is my tattoo; there are many like it, but this one is mine" be a good idea?

I found that asking peoples opinions on what YOU would like to get tattooed on your body isn't always the best approach.

I found that asking peoples opinions on what YOU would like to get tattooed on your body isn't always the best approach.
Agreed, lol. It obviously means the tattoo will have probably little to meaning anyway.

And Akuchi, the roses on your back are beautiful.

I thought about getting the tatoo of my bjj academy small somewhere, but I've decided I will wait quite some time to see if I still want it. For a (relatively) irreversable procedure, I want to wait for a couple years just in case. Also, if I continue to rack up injuries at my current pace I'm going to have to stop training altogether.

The basic plan would be to get it quite small, and add the logos of other academies (also small) as I move through them. I seem to be moving around a lot, and that should continue for a minimum of at least the next four years, and probably a little post-graduation-pre-real-career time so call it a round decade. I would be pretty surprised if I wasn't spending a lot of time in at least 4 or 5 different cities and academies in that time. Beijing, San Francisco, Baltimore, somewhere in NY, and we're just getting started.

Not quite sure where I would put them on my body...I maybe want to run a line of them up the outside of a calf or one side of the center of my back.

Agreed, lol. It obviously means the tattoo will have probably little to meaning anyway.

And Akuchi, the roses on your back are beautiful.
They are lovely. They were inspired by my favourite snowboard (Santa Cruz Muse Antique) and drawn for me by my exceptionally talented best friend from high school.
The cat, stars etc aren't original; the stars I'm probably going to continue right down my leg though but everything I get from here on in will be an original design :3

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

akuchi's take the cake though; that rose must of hurt like a bitch though it is both beautifully drawn and inked

I'd like to get a tattoo of bullet holes on my back, but my entire family is anti-self-mutilation and I would be segregated from the rest of them:

It's not, I forgot to mention my parents think it's self-mutilation.

As a side note, tattoos look really bad when you're old and have flabby skin.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I once seriously considered getting a Marowak/Cubone Skull tattooed on my upper arm - basically an exact copy of the design from the Pokemon151 t-shirt.

It's ambiguous enough that very few people are going to know it's actually a Pokemon tattoo and if I don't feel comfortable saying so in a given setting I can just say it's a random dinosaur skull or something. Marowak has always been quite an inspiration to me for the way he started off small and weak but overcame all his problems to become a tough lil' bastard.

And it looks cool as hell.

That would be a TOUGH looking tattoo. The fact that it's also a pokemon makes it twice as cool.

Now although I think tattoo's are cool, I've never liked anything enough to have it INKED on me. If or when I do, I'm totally willing to get one, but nothing has really striked me as so important, so integral to who I am that I would tattoo it into myself.

And most of the things that are so, aren't particularly tangible so there's no point tattooing books or essays onto myself , right?

That would be a TOUGH looking tattoo. The fact that it's also a pokemon makes it twice as cool.

Now although I think tattoo's are cool, I've never liked anything enough to have it INKED on me. If or when I do, I'm totally willing to get one, but nothing has really striked me as so important, so integral to who I am that I would tattoo it into myself.

And most of the things that are so, aren't particularly tangible so there's no point tattooing books or essays onto myself , right?
I don't see why not.. I'm planning to get vast swathes of text on my arms :3

Over the summer I was at a party and a guy was doing tattoos. I was high and thought it'd be cool so I said fuck it I was 16 then and knew I might never get another chance. I made a dumb decision. I thought, at the time, it would be funny to get a winking smily face down just above my leg. My thinking was that whenever I got a blowjob, it would be funny because a winking face would be at their eye level.

Dumb decision.. But at least it's small and can be easily hiden so my dad wouldn't find it. It can easily be covered my another tattoo one day.

My second tattoo I got from another guy when I was turning 17. I got my girlfriends name. She got mine. Eh pretty crazy I guess. But I don't regret it yet so it's fine. I hope to not regret it.

Next: I need some cool tattoos. I'm thinking a tribal one around where my sleeve is. So it just barely hangs out. Then something cool on my other arm. Maybe a dedication to a friend that died in a crash a few months ago..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)