Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 19 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, I'm looking to round out my Porygon-Z's moveset ingame, (decent hidden power is unavailable), but I noticed that unless there is a 4X difference in effectivity I may as well use Tri-Attack most of the time (Adaptability). A move to hit ghosts is in order, and honestly I can't see anything Dark Pulse (the recomended move) has over Shadowball, as the chance to special-drop a switch-in appeals more than the possiblity of surviving one more turn by flinching something, and most ghosts should be OHKO'd after a nasty plot anyway. I can't find another move with the coverage that would warrent using it. Should I just go with Hyper-Beam for the glorious suicide?

Also, I have already asked this, but since is already burried, I'll ask again - what pokes are good for spreading paralysis around to allow medium-speed sweepers to sweep? Looking at Mesprit, Uxie, Cressalia, Gyarados and Togekiss at the moment, but I'm sure there are others.

Finally, I'm looking to make myself a Salamence with a twist. I was thinking something along the lines of DD, Outrage, Fire Blast and Hydropump, so I can lure in physical walls with DD and obliterate them. Also, I can't help but notice that with the obvious exception of outrage, Salamence's special attacks have higher BP than his physical ones, and most of the steels that resist outrage can be obliterated by FireBlast/Hydropump. Is this wise, or shoud I rather get another physical attack and use Draco Meteor instead?

Thanks in advance,
Ascalon.
Dark Pulse on Porygon-Z allows you to hit normal types, whereas Shadow Ball doesn't. Then you would just use HP Fighting on said Normal type to kill it (unless it's a Blissey, very common switch in to PZ).

Cresselia sounds like a good Poke to be abusing T-Wave with, it's nice and bulky. I've only seen T-Wave used on a Gyarados once and it was pretty ineffective unless it was a strict Bulky-Dos. In my opinion just keep Gyara as a DD sweeper, but it's your choice.

I'm not entirely sure about your Salamence set. If I were you I'd just run a Mixmence set.

Hope I helped.

I've got a question regarding finding my SID. I wasn't sure if it belonged in this thread or the similar thread in the Wi-fi forum.

I have a legit, non-chained shiny Gastly and have worked out its IVs. Using the RNG reporter's "IVs to PID/SEED" function, I've input the IVs and my trainer ID and I have two possible PIDs, therefore two possible SIDs. How do I know which one is correct?

The analysis mentioned ScarfJynx, what works better: Shadow Ball or Psychic? Also, Timid or Modest? A Timid Psychic lets me revenge-kill various Fighters, which is handy, to say at least.
Also, despite most saying Psychic isn't good, does it have merits, such as revenge-killing Fighters? Gorebyss uses an unSTABed Psychic...

Which is better on a physical sweeper feraligatr: DD or SD
assuming max atk and speed EVs, Leftovers, Jolly Natured with the moveset Waterfall/Ice Punch/Earthquake

Sorry I have so many questions, but I'd rather not waste my Tutors finding out. :|

Can Psycho Shift be used while asleep to transfer that to an opponent?

If Sleep Talk selects Rest, what happens?

When using Sleep Talk, how is the target of the chosen move determined in double battles?

If, in a double battle, one of my Pokemon uses Swagger on its sleeping partner and then that Pokemon uses Sleep Talk, is there a chance that that Pokemon will injure itself?

Sorry I have so many questions, but I'd rather not waste my Tutors finding out. :|

Can Psycho Shift be used while asleep to transfer that to an opponent?

If Sleep Talk selects Rest, what happens?

When using Sleep Talk, how is the target of the chosen move determined in double battles?

If, in a double battle, one of my Pokemon uses Swagger on its sleeping partner and then that Pokemon uses Sleep Talk, is there a chance that that Pokemon will injure itself?
IIRC yes.

Nothing Happens.

I don't know about the last two. You should test it out.

Which is better on a physical sweeper feraligatr: DD or SD
assuming max atk and speed EVs, Leftovers, Jolly Natured with the moveset Waterfall/Ice Punch/Earthquake
Max Speed EVs is kind of pointless with either move, as you would probably only want to outspeed Heatran (Scarftran if boosted), if used in OU. With such low speed, though, Dragon Dance is probably the better option, as a Swords Dance would be easily revenge killed by anything faster than base 78 Speed.

@Chronic Edge: You don't have to waste the tutors, just use the tutors, test the interaction, then turn off your game. The smogon description for sleep talk says that it hits the last enemy (which I assume means it hits the opponent's pokemon that had its turn most recently).

@That-Hero: I would go with dd. Feraligatr doesn't have the speed to sweep without a boost.

@Cold-eye: I would go with psychic. It's always nice to have a second stab to hit any unresisted switch-in hard. The main drawback would be missing the super-effective hit on other psychic types, so if your team can handle those, you should be fine.

this may sound like a dumb question but is there some kind of a glitch with discharge in platinum? I've used this move a dozen times in my last wifi battle and it never paralyzed anything. maybe its just my bad luck.

I'm going to use Frustration on my Dodrio instead of Return (it seems more appropriate). Is there some sort of guide that I could use that would tell me good ways to get my Dodrio to really, really hate me? (After I upload him to PBR, I'm going to switch it to Return, methinks. It'll be too hard to keep him despising me forever.)

Hi guys, I have tried breeding the following 2 pokemon for a timid gastly, yet something strange is happening...
A male haunter (traded in-game from NPC) with a timid ditto holding an everstone.
Out of the 12 hatched, only 1 was timid, and none of them inherited the timid ditto's perfect speed IV.
I have done a lot of hatchings with the same ditto and this never happened... Could someone tell me what might be wrong?

Hi guys, I have tried breeding the following 2 pokemon for a timid gastly, yet something strange is happening...
A male haunter (traded in-game from NPC) with a timid ditto holding an everstone.
Out of the 12 hatched, only 1 was timid, and none of them inherited the timid ditto's perfect speed IV.
I have done a lot of hatchings with the same ditto and this never happened... Could someone tell me what might be wrong?
the ditto nature thing is random. I have a timid Ditto too and it doesnt always give the right nature. Im going to guess the ingame trade haunter acts diffrently

found out about the RNG yesterday. Today I EV trained my shiny machoke I captured a while back. I'm not sure if I should be making a new thread about this, but I need help ASAP.

Machoke - #67 (Careful)
HP: 23
Att: 14
Def: 30
SpA: 6
SpD: 7
Speed: 8

I put this into the IV to PID app. I got D94F40C6.

I split it and the bin for each half is:

D94F-1101100101001111
40C6-100000011000110

I added a 0 to the one on the bottom is it's now 0100000011000110.

My ID in the game is 52005.

It's bin is 1100101100100101.

In two spots the numbers add up to be three. What do I do? The guide didn't say anything about threes. Did I do something wrong?

this may sound like a dumb question but is there some kind of a glitch with discharge in platinum? I've used this move a dozen times in my last wifi battle and it never paralyzed anything. maybe its just my bad luck.
It's just luck, unless you were using Discharge on something with the paralysis -preventing ability Limber.

SID help with Binary
If you'll look at the example in the article:

0001101111000|111
0010011001011|000
1101011100101|011
---------------|---
1110101-------|000

As the sum of the first digits in this column add up to 3 we will add 1 to get our even result, which is 4 in this case.

the ditto nature thing is random. I have a timid Ditto too and it doesnt always give the right nature. Im going to guess the ingame trade haunter acts diffrently

Could be just a really bad luck for me... Though the chance of that happening is pretty low... Let me try it with a different father and see what happens.

Thanks.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I've had the same thing happen too before. It's just a coinflip. If you do it enough, sometimes you get 12 tails in a row. It'll go away and you'll get like 6 of the right nature in the next 8 :)

Dark Pulse on Porygon-Z allows you to hit normal types, whereas Shadow Ball doesn't. Then you would just use HP Fighting on said Normal type to kill it (unless it's a Blissey, very common switch in to PZ).

Cresselia sounds like a good Poke to be abusing T-Wave with, it's nice and bulky. I've only seen T-Wave used on a Gyarados once and it was pretty ineffective unless it was a strict Bulky-Dos. In my opinion just keep Gyara as a DD sweeper, but it's your choice.

I'm not entirely sure about your Salamence set. If I were you I'd just run a Mixmence set.

Hope I helped.
Thanks for the imput, but I still have a couple of issues:
Firstly, I can't get HP fighting, this is ingame.
Secondly, I would imagine Tri-Attack hurts normals more anyway thanks to adapatablity. Also, there aren't that many normal types around, bar Blissey, which is not going to be more than scratched by Dark Pulse really. Shadow Ball hits fighters harder, which are very common, and getting a special defence drop on a switch may cause another switch.
If I'm talking nonsense here, please let me know.

On the suject of Salamence, I was looking at DD/Hydropump to be able to lure and kill bulky grounds like Hippowdon, as my team benefits from their elimination. I'm not sure if I'm merely finding a complicated way of dealing with a simple problem though.

I would also prefer to have more than one T-waver, got any other recomendations?

Thanks for your advice,
Ascalon

Celebi can Twave, while Jirachi can Serene Grace Body Slam or Twave also.
Again, this is in game. I don't have access to Celebi or Jirachi. Do you think Togekiss would work? It seems sturdy enough, and can attack as well.

EDIT: Something completely different: I did try to find this information on google, but I'm getting mixed messages. If the "potential judge" in the battle tower says that a pokemon has "outstanding potential", does that mean perfect IVs all round? Many sites indicated that it does, but I really don't want to be offering something I don't have if it does not. Thanks.

Hey, I'm sorry to be a bother, but I'm at work right now and can't access metalkid's or other sites save for this one. Can someone please do a quick calc and check the HP of a Chimchar I just hatched? The IVs for it are 20/31/15/31/30/31. It's also Naive, if that matters. Thanks a whole bunch in advance.

Hey, I'm sorry to be a bother, but I'm at work right now and can't access metalkid's or other sites save for this one. Can someone please do a quick calc and check the HP of a Chimchar I just hatched? The IVs for it are 20/31/15/31/30/31. It's also Naive, if that matters. Thanks a whole bunch in advance.
Hidden Power Steel 69

Thanks a lot. One more quick question. Does Spite affect Normal- and Fighting- types? The page on Smogon doesn't mention if it does or doesn't. Thanks!
Yes, just like Whirlwind/Roar will affect ghosts. Also, Fighting isn't immune to Ghost attacks in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)