Tips and Tricks: 2nd Generation

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Like the other Tips and Tricks threads, this one will help identify helpful information partaining to the GSC cartriges, and possible Pokemon Stadium 2 (at mod's discretion). Let's try to get this thing running. =]
______________ _______________

Gold / Silver / Crystal Tips and Tricks
Prerequisites:
Have in your list of contacts one of the NPCs who alert you of Pokemon swarms (see below).

NPCs who alert you of Pokemon swarms and their locations:

Fisherman Ralph: Qwilfish - Found on Route 32

Hiker Anthony: Dunsparce - Found on Route 33

Bug Catcher Arnie: Yanma - Found on Route 35

School Kid Chad: Snubbull - Found on Route 38

Fisher Wilton: Remoraid - Found on Route 44

Hiker Parry: Marill - Found on Route 45

Method

Each of the NPCs will call you whenever their Pokemon is swarming. No two swarms can happen at the same time, however, and each swarm is temporary.
Channel Number (Johto / Kanto), Chanel Name, and Use
4.5 / (n/a): Oak's Pokemon Talk - Gives areas of rare Pokemon (Morning broadcast only)
7.5 / 18.5: Pokemusic / Let's All Sing: Affects the encounter rate of wild Pokemon. (Mon, Wed, Fri: decreased encounter rate; Tue, Thu, Sat, Sun: increased encounter rate) (EXPN Card needed for Kanto channel)
8.5 / (n/a): Lucky Channel - Draws a Trainer ID every Friday; if the ID matches one of the Trainer's Pokemon, a prize can be picked up from a NPC on the ground floor at the Goldenrod Radio Tower.
13.5 / (n/a): ??? - Plays only in the Ruins of Alph; increases encounter rate of Unown.
16.5 / (n/a): Buena's Password - From 18:00-24:00, the DJ broadcasts a password. By telling her this password, players can gain points that can be spent on rare items. (Crystal only)

(n/a) / 20.0: PokeFlute - Can be used to awaken Snorlax (EXPN Card needed)
Method

Go to a computer and save the game. Deposit the Pokemon that you want to clone. Then change boxes, and during the stage where the message "Saving, don't turn off the power" appears, soft reset your game. When you turn your game back on, the Pokemon you deposited will be both in your box and in your party. Any items held by the Pokemon will also be duplicated. Be very cautious when using this glitch, as it may result in the loss of saved data.

Prerequisites
Unsaved file

Method
After going through the introductory information, go outside and save your game. Without saving, progress though the game until you are able to catch Pokemon. Catch any Pokemon and travel to Cherrygrove City's Pokecenter. Perform the Cloning Glitch on your starter, making sure that you do not save. After the glitch is completed, you should be back at the first save point. Repeat the previous steps twice, picking a different starter each time. The cloned Pokemon will be in your PC each time you revert back to your saved file.

Prerequisites:
Beat the Elite Four
Have a Sneasel with the move Beat Up as its thid move
Have an unfilled box in Bill's PC with a Pokemon that can be deleted in it

Method:
Go to any PC and clone Sneasel four times.
Incorrectly clone Sneasel once by shutting off the game when the "A" in "Saving...Do not turn off the power" appears (the chances of doing so are fairly slim).
Place the original Sneasel in the first slot of your party followed by the four regular clones and the one glitched clone.
Go to the Pokémon Daycare and deposit the glitched clone.
Immediately withdraw the glitched clone and place it in the first slot of your party.
Start the Daycare's computer and access the Bill's PC.
Select "Move PKMN w/o Mail", choose the Pokémon to be deleted, and place it in the first slot in your party.
Return to the Daycare man and redeposit the bad clone that has been moved to the second party slot.
Restart the Daycare computer and deposit the four good clones and the Pokémon to be deleted in Bill's PC.
Take back the bad clone and have the Daycare man raise the original Sneasel (if its name has changed, this is normal).
Once this Sneasel is taken back it will turn into a Celebi. However, Celebi will not be recorded in the Pokedex and its level may be abnormally high.

Note that the third and fourth Sneasel clones will also have their species changed, but their sprites will remain the same until they are depositedand withdrawn from the Daycare.

It should also be noted that viewing the second stat page of the second clone in the PC box may cause the game to freeze or glitch.

Since the glitch relies on the hexadecimal identifiers of attacks and the standard decimal index number of all Pokémon, any Pokémon can be received using this glitch. Simply changing the third move of the transforming Pokémon will yield a different Pokémon; the standard decimal form of the hexidecimal will show which Pokémon the transformer will become after the glitch is preformed.

Crystal Only Tips and Tricks
Prerequisites:
Have the DST feature turned on.
Have the PokeGear
Have in your list of contacts one of the stone-giving NPC (see below)

NPCs who offer Evolutionary Stones and their locations:
Leaf Stone: Picnicker Gina - Found on Route 34

Fire Stone: School Kid Allan - Found on Route 36

Thunder Stone: Lass Dana - Found on Route 38

Water Stone: Fisher Tully - Found on Route 42

Method:

After meeting all of the prerequisites, return to New Bark Town and talk to your mother. When she asks if it is Daylight Savings Time, say "Yes" to change the clock by one hour. When the clock changes, you should get a phone call. If you do not receive a phone call, simply change the clock back and forth until you do. This can be done over and over as long as you receive the item offered to you before trying again.

Each chamber of the Ruins of Alph contain a back room with typically rare items, though each is only obtainable after solving a riddle spelled out by Unown. The riddles to each are explained below:

Chamber Number and Method to Unlock the Hidden Rooms

Kabuto Room: "Escape" - Use an Escape Rope to exit the chamber. Upon reentry, the hidden room will be unlocked.

Aerodactyl Room: "Light" - Have a Pokemon use the move Flash outside of battle to gain entry to the hidden room.

Omanyte Room: "Water" - Enter the chamber with a Water Stone in your Bag to open the hidden room.

Ho-oh Room: "Ho-oh" - Place Ho-oh as the lead Pokemon in your party to unlock the hidden room.

Method:
After meeting all of the prerequisites, return to New Bark Town and talk to your mother. When she asks if it is Daylight Savings Time, say "Yes" to change the clock by one hour. When the clock changes, you should get a phone call. If you do not receive a phone call, simply change the clock back and forth until you do. This can be done over and over as long as you receive the item offered to you before trying again.
Really love the work you're putting in, but little problems.
Bolded.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Gold / Silver / Crystal Tips and Tricks

• Finding Pokemon Swarms
Prerequisites:
Have in your list of contacts one of the NPCs who alert you of Pokemon swarms (see below).

NPCs who alert you of Pokemon swarms and their locations:
Fisherman Ralph: Qwilfish - Found on Route 32
Hiker Anthony: Dunsparce - Found on Route 33
Bug Catcher Arnie: Yanma - Found on Route 35
School Kid Chad: Snubbull - Found on Route 38
Fisher Wilton: Remoraid - Found on Route 44
Hiker Parry: Marill - Found on Route 45

Method
Each of the NPCs will call you whenever their Pokemon is swarming. No two swarms can happen at the same time, however, and each swarm is temporary.
  • Useful Pokegear Radio Stations
Channel Number (Johto / Kanto), Chanel Name, and Use
4.5 / (n/a): Oak's Pokemon Talk - Gives areas of rare Pokemon (Morning broadcast only)
7.5 / 18.5: Pokemusic / Let's All Sing: Effects the encounter rate of wild Pokemon. (Mon, Wed, Fri: decreased encounter rate; Tue, Thu, Sat, Sun: increased encounter rate) (EXPN Card needed for Kanto channel)
8.5 / (n/a): Lucky Channel - Draws a Trainer ID every Friday; if the ID matches one of the Trainer's Pokemon, a prize can be picked up from a NPC on the ground floor at the Goldenrod Radio Tower.
13.5 / (n/a): ??? - Plays only in the Ruins of Alph; increases encounter rate of Unown.
16.5 / (n/a): Buena's Password - From 18:00-24:00, the DJ broadcasts a password. By telling her this password, players can gain points that can be spent on rare items. (Crystal only)
(n/a) / 20.0: PokeFlute - Can be used to awaken Snorlax (EXPN Card needed)

Crystal Only Tips and Tricks

• Receiving Evolutionary Stones
Prerequisites:
Have the DST feature turned on.
Have the PokeGear
Have in your list of contacts one of the stone-giving NPC (see below)

NPCs who offer Evolutionary Stones and their locations:
Leaf Stone: Picnicker Gina - Found on Route 34
Fire Stone: School Kid Allan - Found on Route 36
Thunder Stone: Lass Dana - Found on Route 38
Water Stone: Fisher Tully - Found on Route 42

Method:
  • Solving the Ruins of Alph Hidden Room Puzzles
Each chamber of the Ruins of Alph contain a back room with typically rare items, though each is only obtainable after solving a riddle spelled out by Unown. The riddles to each are explained below:

Kabuto Room: "Escape" - Use an Escape Rope to exit the chamber. Upon reentry, the hidden room will be unlocked.
Aerodactyl Room: "Light" - Have a Pokemon use the move Flash outside of battle to gain entry to the hidden room.
Omanyte Room: "Water" - Enter the chamber with a Water Stone in your Bag to open the hidden room.
Ho-oh Room: "Ho-oh" - Place Ho-oh as the lead Pokemon in your party to unlock the hidden room.

Pokemon Stadium 2 Tips and Tricks
Another notable tip:

Duplicate Pokemon: Go to a computer and save the game. Deposit the Pokemon that you want to clone. Then change boxes, and during the stage where the message "Saving, don't turn off the power" appears, soft reset your game. When you turn your game back on, the Pokemon you deposited will be both in your box and in your party. Any items held by the Pokemon will also be duplicated.

Just thought I'd mention it; since it's a glitch, I don't know whether it would fit into this article.

Note:

For Duplicating Pokemon, in G/S, you can turn off anytime after "SAVING..." and before the period in "POWER."
But for Crystal, you must turn it off in the about 1/10 second window right after the period appears.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
iirc, there was going to be a whole separate glitch thread. If this is still the case, these should most definitely go there. If not, however, I'll be sure to include them in the OP. Thanks, eric the espeon.

I think it should be mentioned in the cloning part that making any mistakes can erase your entire game, and you should clone with caution and only when necessary. In the later gens you have the fail-safe of a back-up file, but in GSC if your file is erased it's gone for good.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
iirc, there was going to be a whole separate glitch thread. If this is still the case, these should most definitely go there. If not, however, I'll be sure to include them in the OP. Thanks, eric the espeon.
I assumed that since you included the Cloning Glitch, that other glitches would probably want to go here. imo it would make more sense to have one decent length article with both than two quite short ones with a semi-artificial (at least to a competitive player) distinction between them.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'll go ahead and add them since it both makes more sense and there isn't a glitch thread started.

I tried making a few screenshots for some of the trainers as they can be hard to find in some of the routes.

Swarm location trainers:

Qwilfish

Dunsparce

Yanma

Snubbull

Remoraid

Marill

Stone trainer locations:

Leaf Stone

Fire Stone

Thunder Stone

Water Stone

If they're too big or something's wrong, I'll try fixing it as best I can.

Great stuff!
I noticed a small mistake though :
7.5 / 18.5: Pokemusic / Let's All Sing: Affects the encounter rate of wild Pokemon. (Mon, Wed, Fri: decreased encounter rate; Tue, Thu, Sat, Sun: increased encounter rate) (EXPN Card needed for Kanto channel)
You wrote effects which is a noun, when you really want affects, the verb.

Other than that, it's amazing.

• Solving the Ruins of Alph Hidden Room Puzzles

Would it be logical to get Screencaps of these? I have an emulator, I could get them for you.

Here's the first room along with the items. Hopefully this works, I used my Facebook account, heh. I also heard that the more pictures the better, so I took a bunch so you can pick which one you want.

The wording shown in the Kabuto room.

Kabuto Room before using Escape Rope, with the player on where the hole will appear.

Some of the items found inside the room. Yes, I named myself Smogon for obvious reasons.

The hole that appears after you use the Escape Rope.

Right outside the Kabuto Room.

Items found:
Heal Powder
EnergyPowder
Berry
Psncureberry

I'll also include the message found when you fall through the hole.

"Our Words Shall Remain Here For The Ages."

(Jeez, if I had known there were extras to the Ruins of Alph in Crystal I would of bought it. I was all over this kind of stuff on my Silver version, heh.)

So there's the first room. Pick what you want. You should be able to get to where the images are quite easily.

And on a side note, are you planning on including in-game trades as well? I've been taking shots of where the in-game traders if you guys are thinking about including that, just in case.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'll see if I can't get the rest of them tomorrow (Or I might pull an all-nighter, depends on how sleepy I feel)

Decided to pull an all-nighter. Here's the second room with photos...
...or not. Emulator decided to crash on me. For the time being here's what I got before it kicked the bucket. I'll pull up some Gameshark codes and try to get back to where I was as soon as possible. Sorry about the setback.

Player outside Aerodactyl Room.

Wording shown on the Aerodactyl Room.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've added some of these to the OP; thank you very much Alex Dino. To save you some time, feel free to only screencap the entrance to each ruin and the "Patterns appeared on the walls..." bit.

Affirmative.

I'm back with Ho-oh Room pics and the item list for the Aerodactyl room, since I didn't get that before it crashed on me. And since I'm actually playing through this (first time playing Crystal) it might take me a while to get the item list for the Ho-oh Room.

Anyway, without further ado:

Item List:
Moon Stone
Gold Berry
Heal Powder
EnergyRoot

Entrance to Ho-oh Room.

It almost looks like a face with ears... lol.

Final screencaps.

Outside Omanyte Room.

WATER.

Omanyte Room Item List:
Stardust
Star Piece
Mysteryberry
Mystic Water

And that's it, all I have left is the item list for Ho-oh's room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)