Haunter (UU Analysis)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's Haunter. Firstly, props to MetaGross66 for bringing Haunter to UU by using it, and I kind of caught on and thought it was really cool too. If anyone else is writing a UU Update on Haunter, I apologise, I haven't see anything to suggest that you've reserved it. If you want to add anything, just post in this thread.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/haunter

Haunter (UU Update): 2/2 QC Checks, 2/2 GP Checks

[Overview]

<p>Despite being largely outclassed by Mismagius, access to toys that Mismagius lacks makes Haunter a solid addition to any UU team. Hypnosis and Explosion are important moves in Haunter's repertoire that Mismagius would love to learn, but what sets Haunter apart from Mismagius is his higher Special Attack stat and good secondary STAB in the form of Sludge Bomb. However, one must not forget Haunter's downsides. His defenses makes Sharpedo look bulky, and his Speed is good but often not good enough. Do not play Haunter like a down-sized Mismagius and he will be happy.</p>

[SET]
name: Sub + 3 Attacks
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Sludge Bomb / Hypnosis
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Thunderbolt / Explosion
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid / Naive
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to make full use of Haunter's advantages over Mismagius. With a Life Orb attached, Haunter's Shadow Ball hits almost as hard as +1 Mismagius, making him very difficult to wall without resorting to Registeel. This set is relatively simple to use. Come in on a Pokemon that Haunter can force out and set up a Substitute. From there, proceed to smack the opponent with STAB attacks coming from a base 115 Special Attack. Sludge Bomb is a huge selling point for this set, since it allows Haunter to hit Normal-types that are immune to Shadow Ball, such as Miltank and Clefable, very hard. However, if one wishes to take a chance, Hypnosis is always a reasonable option to incapacitate a counter.</p>

<p>The last move is the most variable. Hidden Power Ground is preferred since it allows Haunter to hit Drapion and Skuntank (two of Haunter's biggest counters) for super effective damage. It can also hit Registeel on the switch for more damage than any of its other moves. Thunderbolt is generally a good move, since it has good coverage alongside Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, while having the added bonus of being able to 2HKO Milotic and Blastoise. It also allows Haunter to revenge kill Moltres should the need arise. Finally, Explosion can be used to allow Haunter to go out with a bang and potentially remove a counter, thus allowing a teammate to sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Max Speed and Special attack is crucial; Haunter likes to outspeed or at worst tie with as many opponents as possible, because any attack will take a very big chunk out of Haunter's health, if not KO it outright. A Naive nature should be used should Haunter be running Explosion, as it allows him to OHKO Chansey after Stealth Rock, something that is not achieved with a Timid nature. Hasty is chosen over Naive to make the most of Haunter's resistances to Poison- and Grass-type attacks, which are predominantly special. While many priority attacks are physical, Haunter is either immune or weak to the vast majority, meaning a marginal difference in defense is inconsequential. Life Orb is used to give Haunter as much power as possible without locking him into a move.</p>

<p>Life Orb Haunter is best used either early game to soften up counters for a teammate to sweep or late game to clean up when his own counters have been incapacitated. Like all offensively minded Pokemon, he appreciates entry hazards, especially Spikes. With a layer or two of Spikes up, even Registeel will start to get whittled down quickly by Haunter's attacks. Of course, Stealth Rock is also helpful to wear down all opponents. Omastar is a great entry hazard user who can set up both Stealth Rock and Spikes, while allowing Haunter to switch into the Fighting- and Ground-type attacks that Omastar attracts. Cloyster is similar to Omastar, but he cannot set up Stealth Rock. Both can set up Toxic Spikes which can allow Haunter to stall out Chansey. Haunter can act as a temporary spin blocker if necessary due to his Ghost typing, but should one want an additional spin blocker, Spiritomb is probably the best choice to run alongside Haunter due to its lack of shared weaknesses with Haunter.</p>

<p>Specially defensive Skuntank, Drapion and Spiritomb are some of the best counters to this set. Registeel also walls Haunter as long as he is at reasonable health. Specially defensive Clefable can also give Haunter troubles. Thus, it is best to pair Haunter up with Pokemon that can either trap or set up on these Pokemon. Dugtrio is an excellent partner to run alongside Haunter; it can trap and KO Drapion and Registeel without much problem at all, while using a combination of Substitute (to dodge Sucker Punch) and Earthquake to remove Skuntank. Houndoom can set up on Spiritomb while having decent synergy with Haunter, since Haunter can switch into Fighting and Ground-type attacks aimed at Houndoom while Houndoom can shrug off Ghost-, Dark- and Psychic-type attacks aimed at Haunter. Bulky Swords Dance Drapion is also a good Pokemon to run alongside Haunter, since he can Taunt Spiritomb to avoid status and set up Swords Dance for a sweep. Hitmonlee and other powerful Fighting-types can easily dispatch Clefable.</p>

[SET]
name: Substitute + Pain Split
move 3: Hidden Power Ground / Thunderbolt
move 4: Pain Split
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims for Haunter to sustain a longer sweep by using Pain Split. While Mismagius mostly does this better, Haunter still has some notable advantages over his Ghost-type relative. Haunter's higher base Special Attack makes him much harder to wall. Haunter's lower HP stat also allows him to heal more from Pain Split than Mismagius does. The idea of this set is Substitute on an opponent that cannot hurt Haunter. After this, proceed to bombard with your opponent with powerful attacks. When Haunter's health becomes low, use Pain Split and steal HP from the opponent. Shadow Ball is Haunter's bread-and-butter STAB move, and hits anything that does not resist it for a lot of damage. Hidden Power Ground is the preferred option for Haunter's coverage move, since it hits more of his counters like Drapion and Registeel for super effective damage. On the topic of Registeel, it has a much harder time defeating Pain Split Haunter, since Haunter can Substitute down to low health and Pain Split Registeel down to the Hidden Power Ground 2HKO range. Thunderbolt offers greater neutral coverage than Hidden Power Ground and is a better attack to KO Milotic and other bulky Water-types.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are, again, very simple. Max Speed and a Timid nature allow Haunter to outspeed as many opponents as possible, while max Special Attack allows Haunter to hit as hard as possible.</p>

<p>Pain Split Haunter should be paired with the same teammates that the Substitute + 3 Attacks set uses. Drapion, Skuntank and Registeel are best trapped and KOed by Dugtrio, while Spiritomb can be set up on by Houndoom and Drapion. Spikes and Stealth Rock will also help Haunter out greatly. Omastar can set up Stealth Rock and Spikes while providing Haunter oppotunities to switch in.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>As alluded to above, Haunter appreciates Pokemon who can remove its counters and set up entry hazards. Dugtrio can remove most of Haunter's main counters, namely Registeel, Drapion, and Skuntank. Hitmonlee, Hariyama and other powerful Fighting-type Pokemon can easily switch into Clefable and destroy her with powerful STAB attacks. Houndoom can easily switch into Spiritomb and set up Nasty Plot for a sweep. Haunter also appreciates teammates that can switch into moves to which he is weak. Houndoom and Drapion can both switch into Psychic-, Ghost- and Dark-type moves and set up Nasty Plot or Swords Dance, respectively. Fighting-type Pokemon like Hitmonlee and Hariyama can switch into Dark-type attacks.</p>

<p>Omastar works well alongside Haunter since he can set up both Spikes and Stealth Rock while baiting Grass-, Fighting-, and Ground-type attacks for Haunter to switch into. Cloyster works in a similar vein to Omastar, and although he lacks Stealth Rock, he is able to use Rapid Spin. So, if Haunter's team is littered with Stealth Rock weak Pokemon, Cloyster is certainly a reasonable option to use.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Haunter has plenty of special attacks in his arsenal. Energy Ball can be used to hit Lanturn. Icy Wind is an interesting option, as it allows Haunter to hit some faster switch-ins and lower their speed, allowing for a KO on the next turn. Different Hidden Power types such as Fire and Fighting can be used, but are generally not as effective as Hidden Power Ground. Haunter also has access to various support moves like Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, and Curse, but is much too frail to put them to good use.</p>

<p>Haunter can also make decent use of Choice Specs or Choice Scarf, being able to cripple many of its switch-ins with Trick, but is generally too frail and cannot find time to switch in. Also, Mismagius tends to use Choice sets better.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Specially defensive Spiritomb, Registeel, Clefable, Drapion and Skuntank are by far the best counters available to combat Haunter, but all need to be wary of being put to sleep by Hypnosis. Registeel also needs to watch out for Substitute + Pain Split. If Toxic Spikes are not up, Chansey can Life Orb stall the Substitute + 3 Attacks set so long as Haunter is not carrying Explosion. Otherwise, Haunter is not very difficult to revenge kill. Should Haunter not have a Substitute up, Alakazam can outspeed and OHKO with Psychic. Swellow, Ambipom and Tauros can switch into any attack not named Sludge Bomb or Thunderbolt and OHKO with Pursuit, regardless of whether Haunter stays in or not. Mismagius can outspeed and OHKO with Shadow Ball so long as she avoids Haunter's Shadow Ball.</p>

I think this is very flawed as you are presenting it as a Chansey lure for the sole reason that Chansey would never switch into a Ghost-type especially one immune to Toxic and that's often seen with Substitute. What Haunter lures in include Spiritomb, Registeel / Steelix, and Drapion. Explosion is very ineffective against the Steel-types, and the Dark-types fall to Hidden Power Ground or Sludge Bomb.

I would also never use Haunter without Substitute, it's very effective at forcing switches and capitalizing on them with Substitute is too good of an option to overlook. It also Protects it from Pursuit users like Spiritomb.

I'd say that a Life Orb set with Substitute + 3 Attacks, or SubHypnosis would work far better. I'll give those a test and see what I think. As it stands I'm going to reject it on the grounds that this set is designed to do something which it cannot do against any competent opponent.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I guess Sub/Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Ground could be better. I'll do some more testing on it then.

I'd just like to say that I've been testing the Sub / Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / HP Ground set, and it's been working really well for me, and it's a lot better than I expected.

you need explosion or hypnosis on haunter or else it becomes a mismagius that is slower and much frailer. when I used haunter its frailty was quite disappointing cause you can't switch it into ANYTHING; you definitely need to make the most of its advantages over mismagius for this set to be worth it

the set in the OP seems fine, except hp ground should be slashed over explosion since its targets arent very common and are disabled by both hypnosis and explosion anyways

defensive spiritomb is a counter

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Substitute + LO is very inefficient. I'm not too sold on this. It just doesn't hit hard enough unboosted. Explosion was okay, but Haunter doesn't lure that many walls except for Clefable (and Registeel, but yeah...).

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd just like to say that I've been testing the Sub / Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / HP Ground set, and it's been working really well for me, and it's a lot better than I expected.
But Mismagius can do that better.

Explosion is nice sometimes but not really worth the huge drawbacks, especially because Mismagius can easily beat Chansey with Substitute.

Is there any reason we aren't using Sludge Bomb? I had quite a bit of success with Substitute + Sludge Bomb / Shadow Ball / HP Ground. Sludge Bomb actually does more damage than Shadow Ball...specifically to any Dark-type (Absol), Normal, and bulky Grass-types (like Tangrowth, Leafeon, and even Sceptile who avoid being OHKOed by Shadow Ball). Hidden Power Ground should also never be slashed. You need to beat Steelix and do something to Registeel. Make use of that high SpA. And as I mentioned before...Explosion is overrated on Haunter.

I think the Life Orb set should look like this:

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Sludge Bomb / Hypnosis
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Fighting

Shadow Ball + HP Fight works well if you want perfect two-move coverage along with SubHypnosis, but I still recommend Sub + 3 attacks like this.

And Eo, Substitute + Life Orb doesn't matter much, Haunter will die to a soft hit anyway.

Just one little suggestion - isn't it worth to write choice sets ? Haunter may be more frail and slower then Mismagius, however it has higher SpA somewhat making it viable and another STAB to use (in UU as we know Poison isn't bad). Also with Specs you have a better shot in beating bulky waters with Thunderbolt then Mismagius with additional power. Just my two cents ;).

shrang

General Kenobi
Yeah, haven't touched this in ages, either. Anyway, applied changes suggested best I could to cater everyone, see the edited OP for the new set.

@Garganator: I'm not sure about Choice sets yet, but hopefully a QC member could weigh in on this.

I just wanted to post to say SubDestiny Bond is a great set. Its really good and making stuff decide on whether to attack you or let you get behind a sub, and (provided you outspeed) you can then destiny bond them and get a ko. really good for opening up holes and removing counters.

[SET]
name: Destiny Bond
move1: Substitute
move2: Destiny Bond
move3: Sludge Bomb
move4: Shadow Ball
item: Leftovers / Salac Berry
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

just a note on salac berry being slashed, its simply there because of some possible situations, you are behind a sub and someone switches in something faster that can take you out, so you can sub down to activate the berry, outspeed and get it with destiny bond. generally i find leftovers more useful, but salac has its uses. if you are going to play on Pokemon-Online I suppose a Custap Berry is a viable option as well.

I love SubSplit Haunter, just like Gengar in OU, can use its double immunities to both beat Chansey handily and still do great damage against many top UU threats. We all know how easy registeel is to switch in on anyways...

STAB Sludge Bomb is so underrated too, it really does a number to much of UU which Missy just can't do. My set is:

Haunter@Life Orb
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def - Timid
Substitute
Pain Split
Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball / Hp Ground

EDIT: I tried it and it does work well, but it does have problems switching in, so I guess it's really not worth it.

haunter is almost always outclassed by rotom/mismagius but whatever, each viable pokemon deserves to have an analysis outline its most viable sets.

make the attacks on subsplit shadow ball + thunderbolt/hpground. since tbolt smacks around milotic while sludge bomb is not very necessary since shadow ball is only 10 bp weaker and the lo boost means you already 2hko venusaur (i'm only using venusaur cause it's the one pokemon for which i am sure this is true, but you can substitute in <pokemon with defenses relative to venusaur's> if you'd like).

take hp fighting off the sub lo set. it does nothing over hp ground besides hit absol, which sludge bomb already fucks up.

approved and moving to uu.

shrang

General Kenobi
make the attacks on subsplit shadow ball + thunderbolt/hpground. since tbolt smacks around milotic while sludge bomb is not very necessary since shadow ball is only 10 bp weaker and the lo boost means you already 2hko venusaur (i'm only using venusaur cause it's the one pokemon for which i am sure this is true, but you can substitute in <pokemon with defenses relative to venusaur's> if you'd like).
So we actually want a SubSplit set?? Oh, and I'll remove HP Fighting from LO set.

A SubSplit set would work very well. I've had it used against me before, and it took a while to finally kill. Shadow Ball will be mandatory on the set, but I'm not sure about the final move. Maybe the final slot could be Sludge Bomb/Thunderbolt. I'm just giving suggestions here.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Subsplit with secondary stab and LO with Hypnosis both don't seem outclassed to me.

However, LO Sub + 3 attacks is by Missy.

shrang

General Kenobi
Okay, the analysis is now written, ready for GP checks and other comments. I'm kind of sorry that the SubSplit doesn't have too much substance on it, but I really wanted say "Use Mismagius instead". If anyone wants me to add more to it, please tell me ASAP (It would be a good idea to tell me specifically what to put on as well.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
This for purely for stylistic changes, but Sub should be the first move on the first set while Shadow Ball is the second and etc because it's called Sub + 3 attacks.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
removals in red
addtions in blue

[Overview]

<p>Despite being largely outclassed by Mismagius, access to toys that Mismagius lacks makes Haunter a solid addition to an UU team. Hypnosis and Explosion are important moves in Haunter's repertoire that Mismagius would love to learn, but what sets Haunter apart from Mismagius is his higher Special Attack stat and good secondary STAB in the form of Sludge Bomb. However, one must not forget Haunter's downsides. His defenses makes Sharpedo look bulky, and his Speed is good but often not good enough. Do not play Haunter like a down-sized Mismagius and he will be happy.</p>

[SET]
name: Sub + 3 Attacks (change the order like sm64 said)
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Sludge Bomb / Hypnosis
move 3: Substitute

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to make full use of Haunter's advantages over Mismagius. With a Life Orb attached, Haunter's Shadow Ball hits almost as hard as a +1 Mismagius that has Calm Minded once, making him (either "him" or "it" is ok, but you used "he" earlier when referring to Haunter) very difficult to wall without resorting to Registeel. This set is relatively simple to use. Come in on a Pokemon that Haunter can force out and set up a Substitute. From there, proceed to smack the opponent with STAB attacks coming from base 115 Special Attack. Sludge Bomb is a huge drawcard of this set, since it allows Haunter to hit Normal-types like Miltank and Clefable that are immune to Shadow Ball, such as Miltank and Clefable, very hard. However, if one wishes to take a chance, Hypnosis is always a reasonable option to incapacitate a counter with.</p>

<p>The last move is the most variable. Hidden Power Ground is preferred since it allows to Haunter to hit Drapion and Skuntank (two of Haunter's biggest counters) for super effective damage. It can also hit Registeel on the switch for more damage than any of its other moves. Thunderbolt is generally a good move, since it has good coverage alongside Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, while having the added bonus of being able to 2HKO Milotic and Blastoise. It also allows Haunter to revenge kill Moltres should the need arise. Finally, Explosion can be used to allow Haunter to go out with a bang and potentially remove a counter for a teammate to sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Max Speed and Special Attack is crucial, since Haunter likes to outspeed or, at worst, tie with as many opponents as possible, because any attack will take a very big chunk out of Haunter's health, if not KO it outright. A Naive nature should be used should Haunter be running Explosion, as it allows him to OHKO Chansey after Stealth Rock, something that is not achieved with a Timid nature. Naive is chosen over Hasty since most of the priority attacks are physically based. Life Orb is the item used to give Haunter as much power as possible without locking him into a move.</p>

<p>Life Orb Haunter is best used either early game to soften up counters for a teammate to sweep or late game to clean up late game when his own counters have been incapacitated. Like all offensively minded Pokemon, he appreciates entry hazards, especially Spikes. With a layer or two of Spikes up, even Registeel will start to get whittled down quickly by Haunter's attacks. Of course, Stealth Rock is also helpful to wear down all opponents. Omastar is a great entry hazard user who can reliably set up both Stealth Rock and Spikes, while allowing Haunter to switch into weak Grass-, Fighting- and Ground type attacks that may be aimed at Omastar. Cloyster is similar to Omastar, but he cannot setup Stealth Rock. Both can set up Toxic Spikes, which can allow Haunter to stall out Chansey. Haunter can act as a temporary spin blocker if necessary due to his Ghost typing, but should one want an additional spin blocker, Spiritomb is possibly probably (lol be more assertive) the best choice to run alongside Haunter due to its lack of shared weaknesses with Haunter.</p>

<p>Specially defensive Skuntank, Drapion, and Spiritomb are some of the best counters to this set. Registeel also walls Haunter as long as it is at reasonable health. Specially defensive Clefable can also give Haunter troubles. Thus, it is best to pair Haunter up with Pokemon that can either trap or set up on these Pokemon. Dugtrio is an excellent partner to run alongside Haunter,; it can trap and KO Drapion and Registeel without much problem at all, while using a combination of Substitute (to dodge Sucker Punch) and Earthquake to remove Skuntank. Houndoom can set up on Spiritomb while having decent synergy with Haunter, since Haunter can switch into Fighting and Ground-type attacks aimed at Houndoom while Houndoom can shrug off Ghost-, Dark-, and Psychic-type attacks aimed at Haunter. Bulky Swords Dance Drapion is also a good Pokemon to run alongside Haunter, since he can Taunt Spiritomb to avoid status and set up Swords Dance for a sweep. Hitmonlee and other powerful Fighting types can easily dispatch Clefable.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims for Haunter to sustain a longer sweep by using Pain Split. While Mismagius mostly does such this better, Haunter still has some notable advantages over his Ghost-type relative. Haunter's higher base Special Attack makes him much harder to wall. Haunter's lower HP stat also allows him to heal more from Pain Split than Mismagius does. The idea of this set is to set up a Substitute on an opponent that cannot hurt Haunter. After this, proceed to bombard with your opponent with a powerful attacks. When Haunter's health becomes low, use Pain Split and steal HP from the opponent. Shadow Ball is Haunter's bread-and-butter STAB move, and hits anything that does not resist it for a lot of damage. Hidden Power Ground is the preferred option for Haunter's coverage move, since it hits more of his counters, such as Drapion and Registeel, for super effective damage. On the topic of Registeel, it has a much harder time defeating Pain Split Haunter it will be a lot harder to defeat Pain Split wielding Haunter with him, since Haunter can Substitute down to low health and Pain Split Registeel down to the Hidden Power Ground 2HKO range. Thunderbolt offers greater neutral coverage and is a better attack to KO Milotic and other bulky Water-types with.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are again, very simple. Max Speed and a Timid nature allows Haunter to outspeed as many opponents as possible, while max Special Attack allows Haunter to hit as hard as possible.</p>

<p>Pain Split Haunter should be paired with the same teammates that the Substitute + 3 Attacks set uses. Drapion, Skuntank and Registeel are best trapped and KOed by Dugtrio, while Spiritomb can be set up on by Houndoom and Drapion. Spikes and Stealth Rock will also help Haunter out greatly. Omastar can set up Stealth Rock and Spikes while providing Haunter oppotunities to switch in. Pokemon that can switch into attacks that Haunter is weak against</p>

[Team Options]

<p>As alluded to above, Haunter appreciates Pokemon who can remove its counters and set up entry hazards. Dugtrio can remove most of Haunter's main counters, namely Registeel, Drapion, and Skuntank. Hitmonlee, Hariyama, and other powerful Fighting-type Pokemon can easily switch into Clefable and destroy her with powerful STAB attacks. Houndoom can easily switch into Spiritomb and set up Nasty Plot for a sweep. Haunter also appreciates teammates that can switch into moves that he is weak to. Houndoom and Drapion can both switch into Psychic-, Ghost-, and Dark-type moves and set up Nasty Plot or Swords Dance, respectively. Fighting-type Pokemon like Hitmonlee and Hariyama can switch into Dark-type attacks.</p>

<p>Entry hazard supporters that work alongside Haunter include Omastar, who can works well alongside Haunter since he can set up both Spikes and Stealth Rock while baiting Grass-, Fighting-, and Ground-type attacks for Haunter to switch into. Cloyster works in a similar vein to Omastar, and although he lacks Stealth Rock, he is able to use Rapid Spin,. So, if Haunter's team is littered with Stealth Rock weak Pokemon, Cloyster is certainly a reasonable option to use.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Haunter has plenty of special attacks in his arsenal. Energy Ball can be used to hit Lanturn. Icy Wind is an interesting option, as it allows Haunter to hit some faster switch-ins and lower their speed, thus allowing for a KO on the next turn. Different Hidden Power types such as Fire and Fighting can be used, but is generally not as effective as Hidden Power Ground. Haunter also has access to various support moves such as Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, and Curse, but is much too frail to put them to good use.</p>

<p>Haunter can also make decent use of Choice Specs or Choice Scarf, being able to cripple many of its switch-ins with Trick, but is generally too frail and cannot find time to switch in. Also, Mismagius also tends to use Choice sets better as well.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Specially defensive Spiritomb, Registeel, Clefable, Drapion, and Skuntank are by far the best counters available to combat Haunter, but all need to be weary wary of being put to sleep by Hypnosis. Registeel also needs to watch out for Substitute + Pain Split. If Toxic Spikes are not up, Chansey can Life Orb stall the Substitute + 3 Attacks set so long as Haunter is not carrying Explosion. Otherwise, Haunter is not very difficult to revenge kill either. Should Haunter not have a Substitute up, Alakazam can outspeed and OHKO with Psychic. Swellow, Ambipom, and Tauros can switch into any attack not named Sludge Bomb or Thunderbolt and OHKO with Pursuit, regardless of whether Haunter stays in or not. Mismagius can outspeed and OHKO with Shadow Ball so long as she avoids Shadow Ball.</p>

great job shrang.

GP CHECK 1/2

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In France they call this a grammaire et de vérifier la prose with cheese

GP Check 2

Deletions in Red
Additions in Blue

[Overview]

<p>Despite being largely outclassed by Mismagius, access to toys that Mismagius lacks makes Haunter a solid addition to a UU team. Hypnosis and Explosion are important moves in Haunter's repertoire that Mismagius would love to learn, but what sets Haunter apart from Mismagius is his higher Special Attack stat and good secondary STAB in the form of Sludge Bomb. However, one must not forget Haunter's downsides. His defenses makes Sharpedo look bulky, and his Speed is good but often not good enough. Do not play Haunter like a down-sized Mismagius and he will be happy.</p>

[SET]
name: Sub + 3 Attacks
move 3: Sludge Bomb / Hypnosis

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to make full use of Haunter's advantages over Mismagius. With a Life Orb attached, Haunter's Shadow Ball hits almost as hard as +1 Mismagius, making him very difficult to wall without resorting to Registeel. This set is relatively simple to use. Come in on a Pokemon that Haunter can force out and set up a Substitute. From there, proceed to smack the opponent with STAB attacks coming from a base 115 Special Attack. Sludge Bomb is a huge drawcard of this set, since it allows Haunter to hit Normal-types that are immune to Shadow Ball, such as Miltank and Clefable, very hard. However, if one wishes to take a chance, Hypnosis is always a reasonable option to incapacitate a counter with.</p>

<p>The last move is the most variable. Hidden Power Ground is preferred since it allows Haunter to hit Drapion and Skuntank (two of Haunter's biggest counters) for super effective damage. It can also hit Registeel on the switch for more damage than any of its other moves. Thunderbolt is generally a good move, since it has good coverage alongside Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, while having the added bonus of being able to 2HKO Milotic and Blastoise. It also allows Haunter to revenge kill Moltres should the need arise. Finally, Explosion can be used to allow Haunter to go out with a bang and potentially remove a counter, for thus allowing a teammate to sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Max Speed and Special attack is crucial; since Haunter likes to outspeed or at worst tie with as many opponents as possible, because any attack will take a very big chunk out of Haunter's health, if not KO it outright. A Naive nature should be used should Haunter be running Explosion, as it allows him to OHKO Chansey after Stealth Rock, something that is not achieved with a Timid nature. Naive is chosen over Hasty since most priority attacks are physically based. Life Orb is used to give Haunter as much power as possible without locking him into a move.</p>

<p>Life Orb Haunter is best used either early game to soften up counters for a teammate to sweep or late game to clean up when his own counters have been incapacitated. Like all offensively minded Pokemon, he appreciates entry hazards, especially Spikes. With a layer or two of Spikes up, even Registeel will start to get whittled down quickly by Haunter's attacks. Of course, Stealth Rock is also helpful to wear down all opponents. Omastar is a great entry hazard user who can reliably set up both Stealth Rock and Spikes, while allowing Haunter to switch into weak Grass-, Fighting- and Ground-type attacks that may be aimed at him Omastar attracts. Cloyster is similar to Omastar, but he cannot set up Stealth Rock. Both can set up Toxic Spikes which can allow Haunter to stall out Chansey. Haunter can act as a temporary spin blocker if necessary due to his Ghost typing, but should one want an additional spin blocker, Spiritomb is probably the best choice to run alongside Haunter due to its lack of shared weaknesses with Haunter.</p>

<p>Specially defensive Skuntank, Drapion and Spiritomb are some of the best counters to this set. Registeel also walls Haunter as long as he is at reasonable health. Specially defensive Clefable can also give Haunter troubles. Thus, it is best pair to to pair Haunter up with Pokemon that can either trap or set up on these Pokemon. Dugtrio is an excellent partner to run alongside Haunter; it can trap and KO Drapion and Registeel without much problem at all, while using a combination of Substitute (to dodge Sucker Punch) and Earthquake to remove Skuntank. Houndoom can set up on Spiritomb while having decent synergy with Haunter, since Haunter can switch into Fighting and Ground-type attacks aimed at Houndoom while Houndoom can shrug off Ghost-, Dark- and Psychic-type attacks aimed at Haunter. Bulky Swords Dance Drapion is also a good Pokemon to run alongside Haunter, since he can Taunt Spiritomb to avoid status and set up Swords Dance for a sweep. Hitmonlee and other powerful Fighting-types can easily dispatch Clefable.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims for Haunter to sustain a longer sweep by using Pain Split. While Mismagius mostly does this better, Haunter still has some notable advantages over his Ghost-type relative. Haunter's higher base Special Attack makes him much harder to wall. Haunter's lower HP stat also allows him to heal more from Pain Split than Mismagius does. The idea of this set is Substitute on an opponent that cannot hurt Haunter. After this, proceed to bombard with your opponent with powerful attacks. When Haunter's health becomes low, use Pain Split and steal HP from the opponent. Shadow Ball is Haunter's bread-and-butter STAB move, and hits anything that does not resist it for a lot of damage. Hidden Power Ground is the preferred option for Haunter's coverage move, since it hits more of his counters like Drapion and Registeel for super effective damage. On the topic of Registeel, it has a much harder time defeating Pain Split Haunter, since Haunter can Substitute down to low health and Pain Split Registeel down to the Hidden Power Ground 2HKO range. Thunderbolt offers greater neutral coverage and is a better attack to KO Milotic and other bulky Water-types with.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are again, very simple. Max Speed and a Timid nature allows Haunter to outspeed as many opponents as possible, while max Special Attack allows Haunter to hit as hard as possible.</p>

<p>Pain Split Haunter should be paired with the same teammates that the Substitute + 3 Attacks set uses. Drapion, Skuntank and Registeel are best trapped and KOed by Dugtrio, while Spiritomb can be set up on by Houndoom and Drapion. Spikes and Stealth Rock will also help Haunter out greatly. Omastar can set up Stealth Rock and Spikes while providing Haunter oppotunities to switch in.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>As alluded to above, Haunter appreciates Pokemon who can remove its counters and set up entry hazards. Dugtrio can remove most of Haunter's main counters, namely Registeel, Drapion and Skuntank. Hitmonlee, Hariyama and other powerful Fighting-type Pokemon can easily switch into Clefable and destroy her with powerful STAB attacks. Houndoom can easily switch into Spiritomb and set up Nasty Plot for a sweep. Haunter also appreciates teammates that can switch into moves that he is weak to. Houndoom and Drapion can both switch into Psychic-, Ghost- and Dark-type moves and set up Nasty Plot or Swords Dance, respectively. Fighting-type Pokemon like Hitmonlee and Hariyama can switch into Dark-type attacks.</p>

<p>Omastar works well alongside Haunter since he can set up both Spikes and Stealth Rock while baiting Grass-, Fighting-, and Ground-type attacks for Haunter to switch into. Cloyster works in a similar vein to Omastar, and although he lacks Stealth Rock, he is able to use Rapid Spin. So, if Haunter's team is littered with Stealth Rock weak Pokemon, Cloyster is certainly a reasonable option to use.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Haunter has plenty of special attacks in his arsenal. Energy Ball can be used to hit Lanturn. Icy Wind is an interesting option, as it allows Haunter to hit some faster switch-ins and lower their speed, thus allowing for a KO on the next turn. Different Hidden Power types such as Fire and Fighting can be used, but is generally not as effective as Hidden Power Ground. Haunter also has access to various support moves like Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, and Curse, but is much too frail to put them to good use.</p>

<p>Haunter can also make decent use of Choice Specs or Choice Scarf, being able to cripple many of its switch-ins with Trick, but is generally too frail and cannot find time to switch in. Also, Mismagius tends to use Choice sets better.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Specially defensive Spiritomb, Registeel, Clefable, Drapion and Skuntank are by far the best counters available to combat Haunter, but all need to be wary of being put to sleep by Hypnosis. Registeel also needs to watch out for Substitute + Pain Split. If Toxic Spikes are not up, Chansey can Life Orb stall the Substitute + 3 Attacks set so long as Haunter is not carrying Explosion. Otherwise, Haunter is not very difficult to revenge kill either. Should Haunter not have a Substitute up, Alakazam can outspeed and OHKO with Psychic. Swellow, Ambipom and Tauros can switch into any attack not named Sludge Bomb or Thunderbolt and OHKO with Pursuit, regardless of whether Haunter stays in or not. Mismagius can outspeed and OHKO with Shadow Ball so long as she avoids Haunter's Shadow Ball.</p>
Good stuff. No major complaints here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)