B&W Research Thread

Was it a typo? Because I'm pretty sure Competitive Spirit raises Attack two levels upon each activation.

EDIT
And a third test :
Wargle vs Steelix

Wargle moves: Superpower, Whirlwind, Brave Bird, Thrash;
Steelix moves: Iron Tail, Crunch, Double-Edge, Stone Edge.

normal conditions: Wargle used Brave Bird
Steelix took 46 HP
Wargle took 15 HP from damage recoil

waited and stalled until Crunch or Iron Tail lowered Wargle' Defense, when it did Competitive Spirit activated and:

Wargle used Brave Bird
Steelix took 91 HP
Wargle took 30 HP from damage recoil

So Wargle was at -1 Def and +2 Atk.

On a related note Competitive Spirit activates on Memento (giving +2 Atk and -2 Sp.Atk for its user).
If someone used memento on your Wargle, wouldn't it's stats be at +0 Attack and -2 Sp.Att? -2 Attack for memento activating, and +2 for Competitive Spirit activating leaving its attack at +0.

EDIT:
No, since Competitive Spirit raises by +2 your Attack for each stat drop, regardless of the level drop of said stats.
This means that against Memento, Competitive Spirit will activate twice:
_once for the Atk drop (-2 Atk then +2 Atk, effectively neutering the Atk drop);
_once for the Sp.Atk drop (-2 Sp.Atk then +2 Atk, so Atk is at +2).
If that's how it works then that is awesome sauce.

If someone used memento on your Wargle, wouldn't it's stats be at +0 Attack and -2 Sp.Att? -2 Attack for memento activating, and +2 for Competitive Spirit activating leaving its attack at +0.
No, since Competitive Spirit raises by +2 your Attack for each stat drop, regardless of the level drop of said stats.
This means that against Memento, Competitive Spirit will activate twice:
_once for the Atk drop (-2 Atk then +2 Atk, effectively neutering the Atk drop);
_once for the Sp.Atk drop (-2 Sp.Atk then +2 Atk, so Atk is at +2).

And you've tested this?

Sounds amusing for a gimmick doubles team.
Of course, here it is:
Tyranitar vs Wargle

I had two Tyranitar for this test with exact same stats, one of them hacked with Memento, basically I waited until Wargle locked itself on Thrash, then:

before activation: Wargle's Thrash vs Tyranitar1 dealt 79 HP

Tyranitar1 used Memento
Wargle's Attack harshly fell
Competitive Spirit activated, Wargle's Attack sharply rose
Wargle's Sp.Atk harshly fell
Competitive Spirit activated, Wargle's Attack sharply rose
Tyranitar1 fainted

after activation: Wargle's Thrash vs Tyranitar2 dealt 158 HP

And the Wargle was really a Ditto transformed into Wargle.

Um, I don't recall seeing this in any of the 47 pages (though my memory just may be failing me), but: if a Pokemon uses Guard/Power Share on an opponent, and an opponent switches out, does the opponent revert to its original stats? I ask because, if so (and yes, it's horribly inefficient, but hear me out:

Assume a Shuckle with 20 Atk battles a Salamence with 200 Atk. Shuckle uses Power Share, Salamence does whatever; both have 110 Atk. Mence switches out, Shuckle uses Filler. Mence switches back in, Shuckle uses Power Share. Assuming Salamence gained its stats back, both Pokemon have 155 Atk. In this scenario, Power Share can bring Shuckle's Atk stat to a max of 199, because the game rounds down. While this is gimmicky beyond imagination, it would allow any Power/Guard Share Pokemon to duplicate a stat for the duration of a battle, minus one point. This would be a gimmick for perhaps a Double Battle: a Pokemon like a Sturdy Shuckle can Guard Share its defences onto an Evolution Stone Chansey, which would be ridiculously annoying if successful.

Again, there's an obvious flaw in that entire gimmick, but I suppose it could warrant further testing of Power/Guard Share? Perhaps the game recognizes each target it uses it on, and doesn't allow that Pokemon to be targeted again, even if it switched out? It'd be interesting to know, I suppose. I apologize in advance if this was a foolish question/request.

Yeah, I'm still curious about Wonder Room and Power Trick. I'm assuming it effectively swaps your Attack with Sp.Def under a Wonder Room instead (since the move swaps everyone's Def and Sp. Def for 5 turns). First, has anyone confirmed it swaps the actual stats? Blissey could turn into an amazing physical tank on Wonder Room teams. That would be Wonderful xD

Another question:
Will Trace copy Eccentric?
If so, will it go before or after Ditto uses Eccentric?
If before, it will Trace Eccentric, therefore Trace user transforms into Ditto #2, then Ditto #1 transforms into Ditto #2, ultimately ending up with two Dittos on the field.
If after, the Trace user will Trace Transformed Ditto's Trace, leaving two Trace users on the field. (Gardevoir's line or Porygon's)
Or it doesn't copy Eccentric which would be lame.

That depends, Crystic.

If you have a transformed Ditto out and the opponent sends a Trace Pokémon, they'll copy the transformed Pokémon's ability.
ex: You send your Ditto on opponent's Erufuun, Eccentric copies it, opponent sends out Porygon2, Trace will copy Mischievous Heart.

That's the only situation that has occurred with me so far, though, so I can't comment on the other questions.
Yeah, I was wondering if they were both leads or both switch in on a double KO.

That depends, Crystic.

If you have a transformed Ditto out and the opponent sends a Trace Pokémon, they'll copy the transformed Pokémon's ability.
ex: You send your Ditto on opponent's Erufuun, Eccentric copies it, opponent sends out Porygon2, Trace will copy Mischievous Heart.

That's the only situation that has occurred with me so far, though, so I can't comment on the other questions.

Rotation Battle Question

If Regigigas is on the side do its slow start turns still go down?

Edit: Are Perish Song turns counted?

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The_Chaser and I tested a few things today! Below I'll list the things we tested and our results:

OmegaDonut said:
Tentative Fire\Grass\Water Oath, when used right after another in a Doubles or Triples battle, creates a field effect that lasts for 4 turns. (It is unknown whether the same can be applied to Singles or Rotation battles.
What specifically happens with these moves is the following: in a Doubles or Triples battle, when two / three of the Pokemon in your party use Water / Fire / Grass Oath the moves get combined into a single one and the attack is made, creating a field effect (in form of a rainbow when Water and Fire Oaths are combined) right after. After testing this in Doubles, Triples, Singles and Rotation, we can conclude that the field effect is only created in Doubles and Triples battles -- it can't be possible in Singles for obvious reasons (you can't use 2 attacks in the same turn) and it's not possible in Rotation battles either.

Then, The_Chaser and I came up with two ideas that we decided to test as well, they are the following:

Sleep Talk, does it work just once per switch-in with a Choice item?
We used a Sleep Talk Heracross for this test, and after it was induced the status Sleep Talk did not fail to choose different moves consecutively.

Does Rough Skin has the same effect as Steel Thorns on Pokemon using Dragon Tail?
We used a Sharpedo and a Dragon Tail Garchomp to carry out this test, and we can conclude that Dragon Tail failed to phaze Sharpedo when the user of said move died because of Rough Skin's ability. It works just as Steel Thorns.

We used a Sharpedo and a Dragon Tail Garchomp to carry out this test, and we can conclude that Dragon Tail failed to phaze Sharpedo when the user of said move died because of Rough Skin's ability. It works just as Steel Thorns.
This part is confusing to me. Does Steel Thorns always block phazing via Dragon Tail/Overhead Throw or does it only block it when the Pokemon using those moves is KO'd by the effect? I'm asking this because I think I remember someone tested Dragon Tail on a Nattorei and it failed to phaze it out when the user didn't faint.

Also, I don't think anyone tested to see if Steel Thorns/Rough Skin blocks Rapid Spin yet. There was a video (from a game with an English patch) where someone uses Rapid Spin on a Nattorei and it failed to blow away SR. The Doryuuzu fainted from Steel Thorns right after using Rapid Spin so someone should test to see if it always blocks the effect, it only blocks it when the user faints, or neither.

I have a question about solid Rock, because I think something needs to be clarified.

Does it reduce the damage of SE attacks by 25% of the total damage, meaning that the attack would cause 75% of what it would normally cause against the SR Pokemon, or does it divided the damage by 4, meaning that the attack would only cause 1/4 of the normal damage?

I have a question about solid Rock, because I think something needs to be clarified.

Does it reduce the damage of SE attacks by 25% of the total damage, meaning that the attack would cause 75% of what it would normally cause against the SR Pokemon, or does it divided the damage by 4, meaning that the attack would only cause 1/4 of the normal damage?
Decreases damage by 25%. Rhyperior takes 3x damage from a Water-type move.

After you used a trapping move(Fire Spin, Mean Look, etc.), if you baton pass to another pokemon, your opponent can switch their pokemon out (that means they are not trapped anymore after you BP to another Pokemon).

I've tested this in game battling with one of the elite four:

Turn #1:
I sent out Smeargle
The foe sent out Musharna

Smeargle used mean look
Musharna used psychic
--------
Turn #2
Smeargle used Perish Song
Musharna used psychic
count:3
------
Turn #3
Smeargle used Batom Pass
I sent out Sazandora
Musharna used Psychic
count: 2
----------
Turn #4
The foe called Musharna back
The foe sent out Rankurusu
Sazandora used Cheer up
count:1
-----------
Turn #5
I called Sazandora back
I sent Charizard out (hacked with fire spin+baton pass+perish song, LV100)
Rankurusu used Focus Blast
---------
Turn #6
Charizard used Perish Song
Rankurusu used Thunder
count: 3
--------
Turn #7
Charizard used Fire Spin
Rankurusu used Thunder
count :2
--------
Turn #8
Charizard used Baton Pass
I sent out Sazandora
Rankurusu used Thunder
count: 1
------------
Turn 9
The foe called Rankurusu back
The foe sent out Metagross
----
I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned before (well...at least not in first page)
Well...a pretty bad news for Umbreon (No mean look+bp =/

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
After you used a trapping move(Fire Spin, Mean Look, etc.), if you baton pass to another pokemon, your opponent can switch their pokemon out (that means they are not trapped anymore after you BP to another Pokemon).

I've tested this in game battling with one of the elite four:

*snip*
Interesting, but I'd like to see this done with human opponents. I remember that in a past Pokemon game there was at least one instance of AI opponents being able to perform actions that human opponents could not, like switch out of Shadow Tag at the same time you switch out your Wobbuffet.

This part is confusing to me. Does Steel Thorns always block phazing via Dragon Tail/Overhead Throw or does it only block it when the Pokemon using those moves is KO'd by the effect? I'm asking this because I think I remember someone tested Dragon Tail on a Nattorei and it failed to phaze it out when the user didn't faint.
This was firstly written down erroneously, it only blocked phazing when the Dragon Tail pokemon fainted first due to the opposing pokemons Iron Thorns Ability, Rough Skin Ability and/or Rugged Helmet item.

Also, I don't think anyone tested to see if Steel Thorns/Rough Skin blocks Rapid Spin yet. There was a video (from a game with an English patch) where someone uses Rapid Spin on a Nattorei and it failed to blow away SR. The Doryuuzu fainted from Steel Thorns right after using Rapid Spin so someone should test to see if it always blocks the effect, it only blocks it when the user faints, or neither.
I tested this with the use jumpluff using 1 HP Forretress rapid spin vs Iron Thorns Nattorei/ Rough Skin Garchomp/ Rugged Helmet Garchomp. In each instance Forretress fainted first due to the other pokemon's ability/item and did not remove Stealth Rock from the field. We then tested whether rapid spin does remove sr against these pokemon when Forretress was at full HP and it did remove Stealth Rock. EDIT: It was also noted in the OP that LO Rapid Spin did also not activate when the rapid spinner was koed due to LO recoil. I just tested this with Setsuna with a 1 HP LO rapid spin Forretress, Forretress did remove stealth rocks from the field before being koed by life orb recoil.

http://serebii.net/attackdex-bw/spikes.shtml

Serebii claims that 2 layers of Spikes deals 1/6 damage instead of 3/16. It says the same thing for 4th Gen as well, even though Smogon and Bulbapedia say it did 3/16 for all generations. Does 2 layers of Spikes now deal 1/6 damage or is Serebii simply wrong as usual?
Serebii was indeed correct, 2 layers of spikes did 56 hp damage to 336 hp Forretress and this is equal to 1/6 HP. 1 layer of spikes still does 1/8 damage and 3 layers of spikes still does 1/4 damage. (I tested this with jumpluff aswell).

K...two of my friend tested the trapping move+BP battling each other
--------
A sent out Umbreon
B sent out Dragonite
--
Dragonite used Dragon Dance
Umbreon used Mean Look
----
Dragonite used Dragon Dance
Umbreon used Baton Pass
A sent out Smeargle
----
B withdraw Dragonite
B sent out Jolteon
Smeargle used Sword Dance (so meanlook+BP doesn't work anymore)
---
Jolteon used Agility
Smeargle used Mean Look
----
Jolteon used Baton Pass
B sent out Charizard
Smeargle used Sword Dance
-------
(and B was trying to switch out his Charizard, but failed. So you can't switch out if the mean look's user is still on the field)

Same thing goes with Fire Spin, but when the Fire Spin user baton passed to another pokemon, the Fire Spin just disappear(no more damage at the end of each turn); And if you are hit by Fire Spin, trapped on the field, after you used BP, you can switch out even if the Fire Spin user is still on the field.

--------
BTW: They tested Growth in Sun, it raises the user's Attack & Sp.Attack by 2 stages.
It's still +1 in other weather tho

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As I detailed in this post, the ability Steel Thorns prevents Dragon Tail from switching out the target only when the user of this move is below 12.5% of its health and hence dies afterwards due to Steel Thorns damage. You can consult the rest of the information pertaining to the test in the OP of this thread.

Setsuna

Prototype
If a pokemon trying to use bug bite or pluck is knocked out by Steel Thorns/Rough Skin/Rugged Helmet ((this is an item)), is the berry stolen?
Colonel_M and I just tested this, and we can conclude that if a Pokemon using Pluck / Bug Bite dies because of Steel Thorns / Rough Skin damage, the target will still keep his Berry the next turn.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Confirmed that the Staraptor did NOT eat the berry in the test.

For the sake of testing Iron Fist, we decided to use a 246 Attack Pokemon (it's Roobushin's second form) using Dizzy Punch against Staraptor. The Staraptor has 374 HP | 136 Def. No Intimidate. Projected damage was 91-108. Minilog:
[12:46:39] <Tyranel_M> I have it now
[12:46:40] <Tyranel_M> 258
[12:46:58] <Tyranel_M> Down to 163
[12:47:07] <Tyranel_M> 95 damage
[12:47:14] <Setsuna> hm
[12:47:16] <Tyranel_M> Looks the sma
[12:47:18] <Setsuna> again
[12:47:19] <Tyranel_M> Once more to be safe
[12:47:45] <Tyranel_M> Down to 73 HP
[12:47:58] <Tyranel_M> Okay
[12:48:05] <Tyranel_M> I thinki that confirms Iron Fist works the same
[12:48:13] <Setsuna> Yeah
[12:48:24] <Tyranel_M> Thanks for the test

What happens when a Pokemon with Encourage uses a move with a secondary effect on a Pokemon with Shield Dust? Will it still receive the 30% boost, or will Shield Dust make the move behave as if it has no secondary effect, thus cutting out the boost?

OP said:
Confirmed Mummy changes the ability of any other Pokemon hitting the Pokemon to Mummy. Works even against Truant and Slow Start (even removing Slow Start's stat drops), does not work against Wonder Guard. (Galactic Tomahawk, Setsuna, R.B.G., #2)
I have just tested it myself, in-game, and my Arceus (holding a Zap Plate), stayed Electric type after using Shadow Claw on Desukan, so it appears Multitype is another ability that Mummy does not effect.

Also, it should be noted it's not ignored by Mold Breaker, Turbo Blaze, or Tera Voltage, which all are changed to Mummy on contact.

What happens when a Pokemon with Encourage uses a move with a secondary effect on a Pokemon with Shield Dust? Will it still receive the 30% boost, or will Shield Dust make the move behave as if it has no secondary effect, thus cutting out the boost?
It still receives the boost. Shield Dust simply blocks secondary effects, it doesn't remove them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)