Mew

Now that I finally have a Mew I can rest for on my SS I'm really hoping Mew isn't banned to Ubers unlike the other 600 BST sprites. I'm salivating at the idea of passing Rock Polish and either Bulk Up or Sword Dance to a Choice Band Outraging Ononokusu!

the obvious ones you can't use. those include dialga,palkia,darkrai ,rayquaza and the others.not garchomp,salamence and mew.
Smogon has made no such decision, and if they have any sense at all, they will not make it when the time comes to do so, until after everything has been tested.

But this isn't the place to argue these matters.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Now that I finally have a Mew I can rest for on my SS I'm really hoping Mew isn't banned to Ubers unlike the other 600 BST sprites. I'm salivating at the idea of passing Rock Polish and either Bulk Up or Sword Dance to a Choice Band Outraging Ononokusu!
Yeah I've been enjoying the use of BP Mew... but this metagame is heavily unkind to it. With the addition of Dragon Tail, it has trouble passing to it's BP recipients. However that isn't the main problem... Eccentric Ditto's are horrible for Mew. It has a hard enough time passing boosts in this gen, but if you manage you to pass... say a Swords Dance and a Rock Polish to Ononokusu that can totally screw you over. Ditto will copy your stat boosts and crush your baton Pass team. It's hard enough covering all of these powerful threats but Mew has to deal with Ditto waltzing through it's team.

Aside from that, Mew didn't get anything. No DW ability... nothing really.

I want to try a sunny day team and have mew as my lead. It will have sunny day, flame thrower, thunderbolt/ice beam, roost while holding a red card. First turn I change the weather to my advantage while they hit e and get sent away. Not only do I get the weather but they have to push their lead back into a pokemon that can kill them xD

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
As if he wasn't cheap enough during the previous generation. Since he has access to nasty plot this generation, he can now baton pass every stat (with the exception of HP of course) by two stages after just one turn!

Attack-Swords Dance
Defense-Iron Defense
Special Attack-Nasty Plot
Special Defense-Amnesia
Speed-Rock Polish

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As if he wasn't cheap enough during the previous generation. Since he has access to nasty plot this generation, he can now baton pass every stat (with the exception of HP of course) by two stages after just one turn!

Attack-Swords Dance
Defense-Iron Defense
Special Attack-Nasty Plot
Special Defense-Amnesia
Speed-Rock Polish
Edit: Geez my bad. I got the impression you thought that from your post.

I never said that he didn't get nasty plot in gen 4...
As if he wasn't cheap enough during the previous generation. Since he has access to nasty plot this generation, he can now baton pass every stat
What did you mean by that then??

It can't mean anything besides what PK said. So you did say it. Maybe it was a mistake, but you said it regardless. You can't say just you didn't lol.

On the other hand, I never really felt like Mew was too overpowered. He is a bit broken, but most good Pokemon are broken in a sense. The thought of his unpredictability turn many people off, but Taunt or Pursuit destroy most sets, not to mention the fact that none of his stats are truly overwhelming. Due to his Passing ability and his unpredictability, Mew may once again be a victim to the Support Characteristic. I'm not speculating, I'm just saying.........

I've been thinking in Mew sets other than normal Baton Passes.

Mixed in 2 attacks
(Mewtwo 0.5)
Mew @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Neutral nature?
128 Att 128 SpA 252 Speed
~Cheer Up
~Shadow Ball
~Drain Punch
~Taunt/Roost

Ghost+Fight has unresisted damage, and mixed set to prevent being walled by (surprisingly) walls. Taunt is awesome on more defensive pokémon or stat uppers, or Roost to recover health.

Conversion 2.0
Mew @ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP 252 Def 4 SpD
~Mirror Type/Knock Off
~Role Play/Gastro Acid
~U-Turn
~Focus Punch/Toxic/Will-o-Wisp

Mimic them - but only if you want. Copy their typing and Toxic them (bulky waters hello). Copy their ability or remove it. Remove their item if their typing is not worth it. Focus Punch/Toxic/Will-o-Wisp the switch in and then U-Turn as the next one will not be that easy to trick.

Trap Passing
Mew @ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP 252 Def 4 SpD
~Block
~Baton Pass
~Ice Beam/Aura Sphere
~Rock Polish/Amnesia/Barrier/Swords Dance/Nasty Plot/Calm Mind/Bulk Up/Cheer Up/Claw Sharpen/Substitute

Not standalone... trap something and baton pass it. Also you can pass other things.

Party in your Weather
Mew @ Expert Belt
Timid
252 Speed 252 SpA 4 HP
~Thunder
~Fire Blast
~Surf/Blizzard
~Rock Polish

No news here, Thunder in rain (goodby waters), Fire in Sun (goodbye grasses), Surf in Sandstorm (most things will not like it) and Rock Polish to outspeed most weather speeders. You may try Blizzard in hail, but I think it is not worth it and Fire Blast already cover them. Dragonite for example also pulls this set, but Mew is neutral to all weather types.

Support, Support, Support!
Mew @ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP 252 Def 4 SpD
~Heal Bell
~Tailwind/Taunt
~U-Turn
~Reflect/Light Screen

Some of the support stuff Mew can have.

Me First! Chaotic Trickmaister
Mew @ Choice Scarf
Naive/Hasty
128 Att 128 SpA 252 Speed
~Trick
~Me First
~U-Turn
~Metronome

Trick the scarf into something worth it, flee from dangerous things with U-Turn. Me First works great with scarf and Metronome works really well with scarf IMHO as you will ever be locked into 1 move. This set is just for fun, but who knows what Metronome can really do? I LOVE THIS SET.

I's Brining
Mew @ something that boosts water moves
Timid
252 Speed 252 SpA 4 HP
~Super Fang
~Brine
~Ice Beam
~Energy Ball

Super Fang+Brine. Ice Beam and Energy Ball hits those who resist Brine.

also lets note there are now so many pokemon choice scarfed and pokemon w/ higher spe than base 100. also i wanna know if a mix mew can be good in the 5th gen metagame.

I don't see why not, the cheerup set by camara looks good
It looks good...but that's about it. Mew is using 80 and 75 BP unSTABed attacks off of base 100 offenses (at least one of which is going to be a neutral nature at that). It won't be sweeping anytime soon, but Taunt helps it break walls I guess.

Mew's diverse movepool means that, unlike Ubers where it is blatantly outclassed by Mewtwo as a sweeper, Mew can do significant damage with SD / NP sets. I'll do my best to limit the options:

Mew@Life Orb
Timid; 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Nasty Plot
Aura Sphere
Psycho Shock / Psychic
Shadow Ball / Taunt / Roost / Baton Pass / Flamethrower / Thunderbolt

Plot up and sweep. Aura Sphere devastates Tyranitar, while the Psychic move is for obvious STAB. Shadow Ball pairs perfectly with Aura Sphere, Taunt is awesome to stop healing and phazing, Roost is recovery, Baton Pass lets you bring in something to continue your sleep, Flamethrower hits Jirachi/Meta/Scizor, Thunderbolt nails Skarm and waters...the list goes on.

Mew@Life Orb
Jolly; 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Brick Break
Shadow Claw
Swords Dance
Baton Pass / Taunt / Roost / Dragon Claw / Rock Polish

Mew lacks physical STAB, which makes this set potentially less effective. Perfect coverage somewhat remedies this, and alongside Taunt makes hitting walls less difficult. Baton Pass and Roost are standard while Dragon Claw has good neutral coverage. Rock Polish is an option to attempt a +2/+2 sweep.

Also, access to Bulk Up and Calm Mind mean that Mew can easily take a more bulky approach to sweeping.

I honestly don't think Mew is too broken anymore, and not like he was in 4th gen anyway. Mew has problems with his pure Psychic typing and will get Pursuited to death, and everyone else outspeeds him with only 100 base speed. Erufuun stops his stat-ups cold, and there are better sweepers or wall-breakers out there than Mew.

The one great thing about him is his versatility with a 600 BST. This is what makes Mew fill a niche' like no other pokemon could. When you see a Mew, you have no fucking idea what that Mew could do to you until you see at least one of Mew's moves. But once you know the set, he can be pretty easy to handle afterwards. It's the surprise factor that could kill off one of your pokemon if you mispredict what kind of Mew it is, and I guess that's why some people think he is broken?

I'm really getting annoyed with everyone saying 100 all around sucks. I just swept three teams yesterday with a celebi! One boost and they all died to my power and couldn't kill me because of my bulk. Now get mew who has a better movepool and what do we get?

All jirachi can do offensively is flinch me to death (all the other sets easily get scared out when I play). I normally use jirachi as set up. Mew is better offensively and can do most of what jirachi does (though I still love both)

I'm really getting annoyed with everyone saying 100 all around sucks. I just swept three teams yesterday with a celebi! One boost and they all died to my power and couldn't kill me because of my bulk. Now get mew who has a better movepool and what do we get?
You get a pokemon with completely different typing and roles, and the biggest case of 4MS Syndrome diagnosed in all of pokemon.

Let's face it, despite Celebi's 7 weaknesses, Poison and Flying are almost never seen offensively, leaving Dark, Ghost, Bug, Ice, and Fire as its remaining 5 weaks. Ghost, Ice, and Fire are predominantly special, while Dark and Bug are physical (and can be seen coming from a mile away).

While Mew has neutrality for all those types except the Psychic weaks, it also has neutrality to Grass, Electric, Fighting, Ground, and Water, all of which are huge resistances for the time-traveler.

All jirachi can do offensively is flinch me to death (all the other sets easily get scared out when I play). I normally use jirachi as set up. Mew is better offensively and can do most of what jirachi does (though I still love both)
Then you haven't played SubCM or CM 3Attacks Jirachi. It has much better defensive typing and while the two are by no means similar, Jirachi can definitely hold its own outside of flinchhax.

No one is saying 100 all around sucks - in fact, 100/100/100 is one of the most solid defensive stat distributions in the game, and so far the phantom legends have capitalized on that with great typing. It's just that, while Mew is bulky, it takes neutral hits from 12 of the games 17 types, so a 2-3HKO is easy to nab (especially wih the speed creep going around).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)