Smogonostalgia

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Greetings all! I had this idea the other night, as I was reminiscing to myself about the old days of Smogon, and some of the fun experiences I recalled. I thought to myself "what if there were a place for us to share our amusing anecdotes, stirring up some fond memories and giving the newer folks a taste of what life was like back in the day?" Of course, I determined that an anecdote-themed thread was in order, but I wanted it to center more around Smogon specific events rather than general anecdotes from people's lives.

The purpose of this thread is for you to share anecdotes from your experiences with Smogon. They can be ancient past or recent past, whatever means enough to you to share.

The particular memory I had wasn't as much an anecdote as more of a short bit, but I'll share anyway to get us rolling.

I remember a time when you would get banned in IRC for saying "hatena" or "HAHE ROBBLE ROBBLE 8D". To this day I still do not know where the hatena ban came from, but the robbling stemmed from a phrase that became wildly popular after user McGraw introduced it to the IRC scene. It functioned similarly to your typical "lol" or "rofl", but it appeared to have far greater emphasis. This phrase became so popular, in fact, that mods began to kick users from the channel that would utter the phrase. Since then the phrase has fallen out of favor, and few even remember the phase that was "HAHE ROBBLE ROBBLE 8D".

DISCLAIMER: The red text in the above statement is grossly inaccurate, and the true origin of HAHE ROBBLE ROBBLE 8D has been documented by user Justin8649 on Page 2. Please refer to his post for further information.

So that's my anecdote. Lame I know, but it's a start. Please share your own, or feel free to elaborate on mine if you remember more details than I gave. Enjoy!

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
To this day I still have no idea where HAHE ROBBLE ROBBLE 8D came from, but I remember it from back at least 2002. I think. Not sure if that predates McGraw or not.

TTS still posts it once every Thanksgiving. I think it's because he imagines that's the sound of a turkey.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
the first time I encountered CaptKirby was either 2007/2008, when I said aloud in the shoddy battle chat "So I heard CaptKirby is a collector of pokemon plushies and has a bunch of them in his room" or something, to which he replied something like "HEY where did you hear such a slanderous rumor..." but I think he tried to play it cool because I was a girl or something. I'm sure he'll correct me once he finds this thread.

first person I ever talked to in PM on dejatoons was BRAIN, and he was trying to advice me on how to act in the community since I was brand new... I disregarded his advice at first because I thought that was the shit, but hey, look at where we are now.

cookie liked banning me

i remember when #fluodome mafia used to be awesome, and there'd be crazy late night games with old schoolers like doomsday and jackal, and it was endless fun.

the first time I encountered CaptKirby was either 2007/2008, when I said aloud in the shoddy battle chat "So I heard CaptKirby is a collector of pokemon plushies and has a bunch of them in his room" or something, to which he replied something like "HEY where did you hear such a slanderous rumor..." but I think he tried to play it cool because I was a girl or something. I'm sure he'll correct me once he finds this thread.

first person I ever talked to in PM on dejatoons was BRAIN, and he was trying to advice me on how to act in the community since I was brand new... I disregarded his advice at first because I thought that was the shit, but hey, look at where we are now.

cookie liked banning me

i remember when #fluodome mafia used to be awesome, and there'd be crazy late night games with old schoolers like doomsday and jackal, and it was endless fun.
I played it cool because plushes are cool but I was worse at standing up for my awesome toys then. d.w. I am totally comfortable with my plushuality now.

I remember when yeti and ekaterina killed fluodome mafia forever (but it was already terrible so whatever).

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a request - if you're going to post an anecdote, please elaborate a bit. One liners are not exactly what I'm looking for...

Another fun memory I have is that I always used to beat cloud9x in GSC UU battles. He was a great battler and used to beat most people, but for some reason I was the bane of his existence. I was decent (not as great as him), so I used to just get unusually good luck. I still remember his Raichu's Thunderbolt missing twice in a row (no evasion effects) and him getting so angry he didn't speak for about an hour.

I also remember getting routinely 6-0ed by nitro. Damn was he good...

havoc

pottlepalooza
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the chaos/Jumpman Tyraniboah phenomenon. I hate when people go BOAH BOAH BOAH SPamming it

Justin once and for all exposing both celia and thezukin as guys. that shit blew up the original Smogon forum, which was already just a huge trollfest (it was quite hilarious though). matter of fact, all the exposures were great--cloud, chaos, and McGraw also--since, at the time, it just rocked my young internet mind. thanks to Facebook we all know that cloud and chaos are still cuuuuuuties ^.^;;;;;;;;;;;; and I guess McGraw too

also I used to play pokemon?!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
OMG DM I totally forgot about the lyin around pic with the noses. I'm tempted to make that my FB profile now XD. Good times, good times.

That one story about a kid crying because of the Butterfree analysis, it was so mean lol

back then when analyses for the bad pokemon had "shit" and "(BAN ME PLEASE)" all over

branners clause
darck charley
the entirety of the humorous netbattle profiles thread and all the memes that emerged thereof

!secretcommandtogpfromthegame

Man, it must be years since i've seen that picture, Hip! Brings back memories...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)