Lightningrod

My first post ever on Smogon, and it's for Seaking.

Is anyone else taking an interest in Seaking using Lightningrod? This allows him only one weakness, x2 to Grass, which can easily be remedied. When you know you're about to get zapped by an Electric attack, bringing in Seaking:

Seaking @ Atk 252 / SpA 252 / HP 4
Nature: Quiet w/ Zoom Lens, Rash/Mild w/ Choice Scarf (1)
Hydro Pump / Surf / Scald
Blizzard / Ice Beam
Megahorn (2)
---- (3)

1: Something I'll be testing out will be the proper nature and item. With Quiet and Zoom Lens, Seaking gets a 96% accuracy Hydro Pump and 84% Blizzard if it's outsped, and assuming that the opponent is bringing in a Grass-type, Blizzard and Megahorn'll cover a fair amount of dual-type Grass Pokemon. Choice Scarf, however, would allow Seaking to hit quicker and possibly live a little longer.

2: Even with the proper EVs and Nature, I'm pretty sure Seaking's stats are built so that Megahorn will always do more damage than a Signal Beam, though confusion status is nice every now and then.

3: The last move would be up to personal discretion. Substitute, if applicable, would allow Seaking a bit more survivability. Flail could also help in rounding out Seaking's coverage, though HP: Fire or Fighting may be wanted in case a Steel-type shows up.

I think I might play around with this a bit longer. Maybe it'll turn out to be something useful.

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I think that lightningrod is a really cool ability this generation, although it really mostly affects Zapdos. It will be able to take boosted Thunderbolts and Thunders from the likes of Thundurus and Rotom-W. This means that Zapdos will be able to check some variants of Thundurus quite nicely, although it doesn't really solve problems with the ones that have boosting moves like Nasty Plot with Hidden Power Ice. So Zapdos can kind of check some of the Drizzle Abusers seen on those types of teams because it can absorb the powerful STAB electric attacks which Thundurus commonly carry.

3: The last move would be up to personal discretion. Substitute, if applicable, would allow Seaking a bit more survivability. Flail could also help in rounding out Seaking's coverage, though HP: Fire or Fighting may be wanted in case a Steel-type shows up.

I think I might play around with this a bit longer. Maybe it'll turn out to be something useful.
Ferrothorn and Empoleon are the only Steels to resist Surf.

So unless you are hitting a Steel on a 4x weakness (Bug/Steel or Rock/Steel) Hidden Power isn't doing more damage than a STAB Surf. That said the Bug/Steels are pretty common.

Agility is another option I guess, pity it lost Knock Off.

Manectric puts this ability to decent use. 105 base speed is pretty fast, though it still gets outsped by the musketeers and genies, as well as the Lati twins and, Gengar, and Starmie, 105 still puts it over a large margin of the metagame.

Snagging a +1 for free coupled with access to Flamethrower, Signal Beam, Hidden Power whatever and Charge Beam/Charge are all nice things. Manectric can easily see itself getting +2 if it uses Charge Beam (and you're wary of ground type switch ins, which should be easier thanks to team preview). Thus Manectric has acceptable coverage and good power, with good speed. It sadly is similar to Electivire otherwise though, as it doesn't have too many outstanding base power moves it wants to use, and it's somewhat lackluster base 105 sp. attack doesn't always dent too hard, but the strongest comparison? The fact that Manectric relies heavily on that Lightningrod switch in to actually do reasonable damage.

I'm currently trying to breed a good Lightning Rod Goldeen. I think it would be helpful when it switches into an electric attack, as it can raise it's Sp. A and also it's ATK with the Cell Battery.

I just love this makes grass only super-effective against Seaking. Although I don't know what's better, a swift Seaking, or a shock absorbing Seaking.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Zapdos with lightningrod is great, as well as fantastic resistances to ferrothorn, scizor, and gliscor make him a better choice over thundurus in my opinion. IDK why he got moved down to UU but with 2 immunities and the power to raise spatk, zapdos is purely awesome, and that's in singles. imagine what he could do with a partnered discharge?

I'm currently trying to breed a good Lightning Rod Goldeen. I think it would be helpful when it switches into an electric attack, as it can raise it's Sp. A and also it's ATK with the Cell Battery.

I just love this makes grass only super-effective against Seaking. Although I don't know what's better, a swift Seaking, or a shock absorbing Seaking.
Firstly, I´m pretty sure that Cell Battery does not activate if you´re immune to Electric(same for Lightning Rod btw but that´s beside the point as it only really matters for Rhydon/perior and Marowak).

Second, Swift Swim Seaking is near useless by now because of the Drizzle+SwSw Ban. RodKing is better.

I for one, am happy about Manectric´s boost from this. I´ll definitely try that at some point.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Zapdos with lightningrod is great, as well as fantastic resistances to ferrothorn, scizor, and gliscor make him a better choice over thundurus in my opinion. IDK why he got moved down to UU but with 2 immunities and the power to raise spatk, zapdos is purely awesome, and that's in singles. imagine what he could do with a partnered discharge?
I don't think Zapdos's Hidden Ability is released yet.

You know what's the worst thing about Lighting Rod? Noone has that ability and Baton Pass. Anyway, Manectric can switch in a Thunderbolt, get a +1, use Charge Beam on a switch, take another +1 and use Thunder or Overheat.

What's a good set for Zebstrika? I can't find one good lol

Probably something like Wild Charge/Thunderbolt/Overheat/Hidden Power. You could probably squeeze Pursuit or Return somewhere in there if you want. He's basically a faster Manectric with a stronger Wild Charge but weaker everything else, meaning he doesn't make use of Lightningrod quite as well.

Agility is another option I guess, pity it lost Knock Off.
Well, it's more of a pity that it lost Sword Dance (Gen II NYPC event move, I believe). I was about to try to breed one then didn't see SD anywhere in its movepool.. Oh well.

(Oh, and I know I replied to an old post.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)