np: LC - Smells Like Teen Spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Last round, the cutoff ended up at 1213 or something, meaning there were like 22 people who voted, im ok with 1200 tbh.

Supporting a raise to 1250 for Reqs.
Last round only 3 people passed this (ENZ0, Nails, and you). That's not enough to hold a vote. 1200 is a good mark because we still get a good voter pool, and its hard to make for somebody without experience. It will only add a few people more than last round, when only like two people were above 1200 and didnt make it.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
Last round only 3 people passed this (ENZ0, Nails, and you). That's not enough to hold a vote. 1200 is a good mark because we still get a good voter pool, and its hard to make for somebody without experience. It will only add a few people more than last round, when only like two people were above 1200 and didnt make it.
And why do you think only 3 people passed that? It wasn't because they were incapable, it was either because they were too lazy or scared they would get haxxed down, so they basically parked. Also, this is a really important suspect test in particular because we will likely be voting on some very controversial Mons in Tite and Missy. Due to this, we want as much experienced players as possible, so I don't get why we should keep reqs low enough to allow any random to obtain voting rights. Furthermore, from what I've seen, contrary to popular belief, raising reqs won't deter people from playing LC. In fact, the heightened number of battles needed to obtain reqs should actually boost ladder activity. Just my opinion on the subject.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's not that easy to get to 1200, lol.

You have to have some medium of skill to get there, and if you can you probably deserve voting rights.

I got 1250 in less than 24 hours. Given a timeline I think everyone could do it..... I would agree with 1250 or at least 1225 as a compromise.

yeah I just fucked around on the LC ladder for like 15 minutes and got to 1175 with a team i've never played before then lost a battle :(

might want to consider raising the reqs, it's probably not going to take much work to get to at least 1250.

I think a lot of it has to do with how on the OU ladder you get battles which usually have variations like +-27 at the most whereas here it's typically +-40 or so which makes it a lot faster

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
IIRC there were 17 voters last round, so I'm supporting the mark to remain at 1200.
It's not that easy to get to 1200, lol.

You have to have some medium of skill to get there, and if you can you probably deserve voting rights.
Supporting both statements, it's not that easy. It requires skill nevertheless.

SkyNet

MediEvil!
I'm sorry, you don't want anyone to vote?
People who are good enough will be about to vote regardless of the voting requirements, isn't the point of having voting requirements to stop randomuser123 from voting with little-to-no experience.

1200 is 7 battles, any user can grab a team from the RMT section look at the threat list and hax their way up to 1200.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I got to 1200 rather easily. I don't think it should be raised to 1300 though, I think 1250 should be good enough to seperate the men from the boys. 1300 is possible, but i'm not sure its the best choice for a smaller metagame like Little Cup.

I think 1300 is possible to get but you would have to be on 24/7 to reach it. Either 1200/1250 should be fine.

I would like to learn the LC metagame, but raising the mark past 1200 is a real turn-off, especially since there are so few people laddering and the ratings in general are very low.

EDIT: It's hard enough to get a battle on the ladder. >_> Above poster is right, you'd need to be on 24/7 to get your rating that high.

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
Making the requirements a turn-off to people who don't understand the metagame is kind of the point. We want people who know which pokemon break or don't break the metagame to vote, not people who think it will be fun to luck their way to voting requirements. We don't want people to make an uneducated decision which would affect the metagame, especially if they would probably never play said metagame again after getting their neat checkmark badge.

If you want to learn about LC then play it, and if you don't get voting rights after your very first few battles of LC, that means the requirements are working. You should only be able to get the requirements once you are skilled or know enough to earn them.

Does it have to be a static requirement? I thought that the 10 + 15 thing was quite effective last round; I support moving it to 12 + 15 at the most but 15 + 15 is simply overkill. If it was 1300 CRE to make voting reqs it'd be EM and maybe SA but then many more people would be competing for "less" spots [1300 is near impossible on LC for PO; 1300 on Shoddy in the olden days would've been a joke, however]

I think the deadline is more important than the requirement right now. If it's 1250 in two weeks that's fine. If it's 1250 in a week than that's not as plausible.

Crux

Banned deucer.
OK. This is ridiculous. I think the people calling for higher reqs kinda need to wake up to themselves. The point of suspect test voting has always been to get the views of a cross-section of the community in order to decide what should and should not be banned. By raising the reqs to vote, we further restrict our already miniscule voting pool and make the vote more and more biased and nuanced like it was last round with the Vulpix ban.

The people who are calling for higher reqs seem to be holding an elitist attitude that should not be present in a metagame that is already scorned by many aspects of the site. We want people to join the little cup community we dont want to chase them away because we are all stuck up pricks.

I think people are understating the current reqs as well. 1200 is not easy to get and you have to have some basic understanding of the metagame to get there. To say that the people who will vote under these reqs dont understand the metagame is also ridiculous. LC is an easy metagame to learn, and in order to achieve reqs you have to have some knowledge. I would argue that the fresh perspective the new suspect voters bring is actually worth more than this ban happy, elitist mentality that a lot of the "veterans" seem to be fostering.

We should not change reqs, and the fact that you guys are arguing about reqs instead of the pokemon that you think are broken says quite a lot. This is a thread for suspect discussion, not suspect reqs discussion.

OK. This is ridiculous. I think the people calling for higher reqs kinda need to wake up to themselves. The point of suspect test voting has always been to get the views of a cross-section of the community in order to decide what should and should not be banned. By raising the reqs to vote, we further restrict our already miniscule voting pool and make the vote more and more biased and nuanced like it was last round with the Vulpix ban.

The people who are calling for higher reqs seem to be holding an elitist attitude that should not be present in a metagame that is already scorned by many aspects of the site. We want people to join the little cup community we dont want to chase them away because we are all stuck up pricks.

I think people are understating the current reqs as well. 1200 is not easy to get and you have to have some basic understanding of the metagame to get there. To say that the people who will vote under these reqs dont understand the metagame is also ridiculous. LC is an easy metagame to learn, and in order to achieve reqs you have to have some knowledge. I would argue that the fresh perspective the new suspect voters bring is actually worth more than this ban happy, elitist mentality that a lot of the "veterans" seem to be fostering.

We should not change reqs, and the fact that you guys are arguing about reqs instead of the pokemon that you think are broken says quite a lot. This is a thread for suspect discussion, not suspect reqs discussion.
I have to post that I agree entirely with this. The purpose of the test isn't to make sure that all the same people who already play LC are the only ones able to make reqs. At the same time, 1200 means that any new player still requires a good understanding of the metagame to qualify. If someone can reach 1200 on the ladder (barring any ridiculous hax), odds are they have an intelligent perspective on the metagame that we as an LC community should want in our voter pool. I don't understand where this "If he can't get to 1300 he's a scrubby loser" mentality comes from. Voting is not about being godlike aat every aspect of play, it is about being intelligent and having an understanding of the metagame. Higher reqs simply lessen the voter pool for no real reason other than the assumption that anyone who can't reach 1300 cannot possibly have an intelligent stance on the competitiveness of the metagame and its parts.

On the other hand, why would we make it comparatively easier to get requirements for Little Cup than it is for any other tier? For example, 1350 in UU is incredibly difficult, only about 10 people have the requirement and the round is over in 10 days. If we make it 1200 then the logical deadline would have to be in 10 days, then that's fine. If we give longer than that without raising the requirements we are saying "this tier is easier to vote in than other ones".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)