Anyone here in or interested in joining the military?

I enlisted in the United States Marine Corps June 3rd. I don't ship out for basic training until April of next year though :/ Just curious, considering Pokemon and the military don't really go together.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I'm in Canada and I have some moral issues regarding warfare. But I thought I'd share this lovely story of a friend of mine.

My pal was selected and a surprisingly young age to be part of Canada's special forces, they were going to spend tons of his training, and later pay for his education. He was going to be one of the big boys. Suddenly he is dropped from the special forces out of nowhere in quite a rude manner. It didn't seem like the military would be an option despite the training he already did. He managed to get a late acceptance to an Ontario University and seems to be doing quite well for himself.

I wanted to join the military since I was a kid but I'm not physically cut out for it. I would also have to stop taking my A.D.D medication and that would be more complicated than it sounds.

My father is in the Canadian military, which is actually a pretty big stress on our family. I think he is a Major. He and my mother divorced a long time ago, specifically because he was so focused on his job, and seemed to care more about it than us, etc. But that obviously doesn't stop us worrying about him heh. A few years ago he would periodically be sent to warring countries (it was Afghanistan, mostly?) on peacekeeping missions. I worried about his safety pretty much all the time. Since he's still in pretty bad shape from a recent stroke, I don't think he'll be going on any big missions soon.

But yeah, personally, I wouldn't join the military. First and foremost I'm a girl, (which isn't to say girls can't do well in the military or something, a friend of mine has her hopes set on the military, and shes as small as I am lol) and I don't feel that the military is a very conventional choice for a woman. There's nothing wrong with going for a conventionally "man" or "woman" job, really, regardless of your gender. But I feel like it would be too much pressure for me, that's all. I know the military also moved my father quite a bit, from NB -> NS -> ON -> Florida, and now back to Canada. The thought of moving that much, especially when I have a family who has to move with me, is way too much stress.

Also you can't join the military if you're on pills for certain stuff? you can probably count me out based on that too.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i don't want to die so no.

also we have a smogon member, dormin, who is in the military and would phone his brother and tell him what moves to do in battles for tourneys.

Also you can't join the military if you're on pills for certain stuff? you can probably count me out based on that too.
In the US you can't, unless you've been off it since your 13th birthday. Sorry to hear about your parents. A Major is an officer rank which has more responsibility and duties than enlisted person would have. Its something you have to devote your life to.

i don't want to die so no.

also we have a smogon member, dormin, who is in the military and would phone his brother and tell him what moves to do in battles for tourneys.
Me neither but I still joined.

oh yes another rachel mcadams avatar =DDDDDDDD
Yup!

In the US you can't, unless you've been off it since your 13th birthday.
Oh shit really? Somebody told me I could enlist after going a full year without taking it. I'm 20 now XD

What would they do with me if I were drafted? They let me sign up for that.

lucky people who have the choice of whether to serve or not =( i come from a place where 2 years in military is mandatory

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I tried to join like 3 times but apparently having a festering pile of shit where your knee is supposed to be is grounds for permanent exclusion (I know, right?).

But I'd say go for it. My best friend is a Marine (the REAL Marines, not the American version obv) and he's loving every second of it.

I wanted to join the military since I was a kid but I'm not physically cut out for it.
honestly if that's your attitude then there's about a couple much more important reasons why you're not cut out for it.

Hey, as long as you're willing to stay with it, go for it. My father joined the military but quit in less than a year. Guess where he's at now? In Jail. 5-99 year sentence.

Honestly the military never appealed to me, not only because I'm simply not interested in the field itself and doing more physical than mental work (unless you get graded or do a none physical related job like becoming a scientist there or something), but also because of moral issues, commands among other things.

honestly if that's your attitude then there's about a couple much more important reasons why you're not cut out for it.
I kind of figured this. To me joining the military was a pipe dream. I realize now that's the wrong way to look at it if you really want to do it.

edit: and when I say I'm not physically cut out for it, despite being pretty active all my life, I still can't mow my average sized lawn without feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack when I'm done. That's not exactly reassuring.

I tried to join like 3 times but apparently having a festering pile of shit where your knee is supposed to be is grounds for permanent exclusion (I know, right?).

But I'd say go for it. My best friend is a Marine (the REAL Marines, not the American version obv) and he's loving every second of it.

I had a friend that was excluded because he had dislocated his shoulder when he was 11 and couldn't find the paper work for it. So does that make the USMC fake? lol

Lee

@ Thick Club
i was just differentiating the two in my own obnoxious way because the US Marines and Royal Marines are really nothing alike in their overall function in their respective militarys. I imagine 'marine' would have very different connotations between our cultures. To you, they're your basic troops who train for 13 weeks. To us, they're the absolute best troops available outside of the Special Forces and undergo the longest infantry training program in the world at 32 weeks.

they're only the same in name, not in status. hence the comment...i mean no disrespect by it...i would never disrespect any serving soldiers (partially because i'd likely get my arse kicked :P)

so yeah, next April eh? That's a ridiculously long time. presumably that was your choice because I'm sure they have intakes before that (they are one of the biggest military corps in the world, right?). why you waiting? take it from me - if you wanna do it don't delay because any amount of shit can crop up between now and next April that's gonna fuck everything up for you.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
^, My knowledge of the Royal Marines is extremely limited (they are British) but time spent training does not necessarily quantify results. The Navy Seals four week training may not be as long, but its certainly as hard if not harder (see, "Hell Week")

"Trainees are constantly in motion; constantly cold, hungry and wet. Mud is everywhere–it covers uniforms, hands and faces. Sand burns eyes and chafes raw skin. Medical personnel stand by for emergencies and then monitor the exhausted trainees. Sleep is fleeting–a mere three to four hours granted near the conclusion of the week. The trainees consume up to 7,000 calories a day and still lose weight."

Also, from what i've read, almost all modern day special forces are based off the British SAS. Their "skill" level is close enough that the different special forces units of NATO generally cross train with each other as they are the only ones capable of putting up a real challenge.

Edit: I lied, there is another 18 weeks of training after Hell Week concludes, my bad.

Lee

@ Thick Club
time spent training does not necessarily quantify results
Bullshit. In almost every single field in life, more training yields better results. Practice = Perfect.

The Navy Seals four week training may not be as long, but its certainly as hard if not harder
I don't know what you're talking about and I suspect you may not either. It takes 30 MONTHS of training before a Navy Seal is ready for deployment.

oh, and @ the bolded bit; if we're trading horror stories I have one! My aforementioned friend and 6 other lads in his troop were exposed to frostbite as a punishment. He now has an effusion injury in his fingertips that bothers him to this day and will never heal. I was like 'c'mon there's gotta be rules against that' but apparently anything goes during training. There was also plenty of stories regarding the staff pitting recruits against each other in a fist-fight seemingly as a form of entertainment for them. Brutal stuff, man.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Bullshit. In almost every single field in life, more training yields better results. Practice = Perfect.

I don't know what you're talking about and I suspect you may not either. It takes 30 MONTHS of training before a Navy Seal is ready for deployment.

oh, and @ the bolded bit; if we're trading horror stories I have one! My aforementioned friend and 6 other lads in his troop were exposed to frostbite as a punishment. He now has an effusion injury in his fingertips that bothers him to this day and will never heal. I was like 'c'mon there's gotta be rules against that' but apparently anything goes during training. There was also plenty of stories regarding the staff pitting recruits against each other in a fist-fight seemingly as a form of entertainment for them. Brutal stuff, man.
Bingo, and to be fair, I didn't really think this through, thats the time frame to get the Seal badge.

i was just differentiating the two in my own obnoxious way because the US Marines and Royal Marines are really nothing alike in their overall function in their respective militarys. I imagine 'marine' would have very different connotations between our cultures. To you, they're your basic troops who train for 13 weeks. To us, they're the absolute best troops available outside of the Special Forces and undergo the longest infantry training program in the world at 32 weeks.

they're only the same in name, not in status. hence the comment...i mean no disrespect by it...i would never disrespect any serving soldiers (partially because i'd likely get my arse kicked :P)
Actually, Americans see Marines as pretty much the pinnacle of their fighting force as well, or at least around here they do. Maybe the SEALs are better, I wouldn't know, all I hear about is the Marines.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
Again, I'm not exactly a walking text book on the marines, but the Navy SEALS are the "elite" marines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)