Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Just did this this morning, its not very hard if someone wants to try and make it more challenging. Maybe I'll try doing that later.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Excellent, EXCELLENT puzzle! Thanks so much! Did you copy it pixel for pixel or just wing it?

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Excellent, EXCELLENT puzzle! Thanks so much! Did you copy it pixel for pixel or just wing it?
Hopefully pixel for pixel. Although I just realized I colored in white the part thats supposed to be space between its bottom jaw and wing.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120127/index.html

Just a few things to note:

Although there is no logo here, we are planning to release a totally new side-scrolling action Super Mario in 2D as a key title for the Nintendo 3DS in the next fiscal year.
I hope by "totally new" they mean not NSMB-style, because they always too looked bland to me.

For the digital sales of the content, we are also considering the future possibility of digital distribution of packaged software, which is often referred to as “software download sales.” This concept was built into the design of the Nintendo 3DS, and we already have the necessary infrastructure. We will prepare the same infrastructure for the Wii U. However, we have not decided the concrete timing of when we will start it. The decision must be made by taking into consideration such factors as the relationship with the wholesalers and retailers, and the best way to be embraced by consumers, as well as the environment surrounding the market and consumers, such as the required memory capacity on consumers’ SD memory cards. However, as an option for the future, the significance of this business field will increase.
So perhaps full games on the eShop, it seems.

Person from NeoGAF, that is not how you use a second analogue stick.

I would like to hear about this game (Resident Evil Revelations) from anyone that's played it as I hear it's quite good!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
What is the extra circle pad supposed to do? Control the camera angle? It seemed to work just fine without the extra pad.

I wonder what else they would use the circle pad for.... besides this Resident evil game and possibly snake eater.....

I heard there was supposed to be a new Super Smash Bros game in development for the 3DS after the Kid Icarus game was released. Is this true or is it something too good to be true? And if it is, will it be multi-platform possibly on the Wii-U?

A challenger approaches

Resident Evil is coming to the 3DS, it's the first M-rated game for the 3DS and it looks like the best game so far. I played the demo and I'm seriously considering buying it in 3 days

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE DEMO FOR FREE FROM THE MARKETPLACE

man I tried downloading the demos that are currently available.. and added download later... 10 minutes later of 3DS sleep I open it up and BOOM! 1% completed... is this for everyone?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
You must have a slow connection or something. I did the same thing and to took about 3 minutes.

Speaking of downlowads:

holy cow

Sakura Samurai looks amazing

downloading it now

Sakura Samurai received some excellent reviews!

I really hope future eShop games are as good as Pushmo and Sakura Samurai. So far, the eShop is filled with tons of amazing games for cheap!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy

Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword is a new downloadable action/adventure/rpg for the 3DS. You'll find it for $6.99 in the 3DS eshop.

Sakura Samurai takes place in Feudal Japan. You're a young samurai who happens to be able to hear the voice of a legendary kappa who sends you on a quest across countryside to free Princess Cherryblossom the daughter of a god. You'll traverse 3 areas, talking to people in towns, playing street minigames, battling various unique groups of samurais and ninja's, collecting gold and "precision points", as well as various useful items, swords, and armor. Oh yeah, and you get to build a nice relaxing beautiful rock garden. :)

Unfortunately, due to the fact that this is a downloadable game and not a cart, there were some size issues that the creators had to deal with. One way they worked around this was by scaling back the overworld. Instead of freely roaming the feudal hillsides, the overworld consists kind of a Map/Gameboard. As you move to a new space on the map along your path to the next town or goal and enter it the map opens up to a sizable 3D clearing where you fight the various samurais that inhabit this game to gain "precision points" and gold and other various loot, and to power up your sword. There are also towns where you can talk to the various townspeople, buy items, upgrade your sword, and play minigames for gold and other various useful prizes. There are also boss castles with lots of baddies and a powerful boss at the end.

Battling in Sakura Samurai is simple, but surprisingly challenging. All battles take place in real time on a sizable 3D clearing. You'll most often face substantial groups of enemies. You'll auto lock onto whoever is 1) closest and 2) attacking you. Unless you press X to run around without locking onto anything, only 1 guy will ever be able to attack you at any one time. If you do press X to run around freely, you'd better watch out, cuz any of them could swing at you if you get too close. Combat basically consists of dodging, attacking, and blocking. You'll eventually get powerful field attacks, as well as disposable items like throwing daggers and frogs (lol). Dodging, attacking, and blocking sounds very simple until you realize that you very literally only have a moment to land an attack. If you just run at an enemy, swinging away, he's going to block literally every swing of your sword, and then slash you. Pretty much the only chance you have to attack is right as they raise up their sword, or right after they slash their sword. The key to this style of battling is to wait as long as you possibly can to dodge, and then to attack them back after they have swung. Enemy AI is surprisingly complex. They start out simple, but before even the first castle you'll have one guy run at you from the front, you prepare to doge him, and then he stops while a guy right behind you lifts his sword to slash you. You then block or dodge only to have him hesitate several times and slash you when you're not prepared. I probably battled the same group of guys 50 times while grinding for gold and "precision points" early in the game and I don't believe any of the battles were ever the same. They always came at me from different sides and at different times. Eventually you'll face enemies with long distance attacks, and bosses with very complex and confusing AI. You'll often think they're going to do one thing and they'll do something completely different. Stock up on invisible armor. :x

Sakura Samurai is no PS3 cinematic masterpiece. It generally features very bland textures (except for the forest backgrounds which are surprisingly realistic). But considering that it's just an eshop download and not a full cartridge game, its visuals aren't bad. It kind of reminds me of a cross between the old Goemon64 and Zelda64. Unlike some 3D games, this game very much benefits from the 3DS's 3D visuals. I tried battling and some of the minigames without the 3D on and it was much easier to tell how far enemies and objects were with the 3D on. I was more easily able to tell how far away that samurai who was rushing at me was, so I could better judge when to step aside at the last minute. With the 3D off he often ran right up to me before I could zip to the side. They also do a fine job making you feel like you really are in Feudal Japan with all the backgrounds and textures and music and characters. The character and enemy animation are also pretty good.

Sakura Samurai includes a surprising amount of extras for a decently cheap eshop download. Firstly, once you beat the game you'll unlock a hard mode where all the enemies do double damage, you only have 3 hearts, and you can't buy or win Rice Cakes (restores health). That's my kind of hard mode. :3 You'll also eventually unlock different challenges like "beat 30 enemies in a row" or "beat 100 enemies in a row". You also get your own personal rock garden right from the start. As your 3DS pedometer racks up steps, you can use those steps to decorate your garden. Using your steps doesn't effect your 3DS playcoins, its separate. Its actually fairly relaxing after failing against a tough boss or new enemy.

I'm having a ton of fun with this game. It's a great value at $7. Looking past its graphical and overall limitations as an eshop download, it's a seriously great game. It has a decently long playtime (I'm expecting 20 hours for a completionist playthrough followed by maybe another 10 for the difficult mode playthrough), quite a few extras, challenging battles, and makes excellent use of the 3DS's 3D visual capability. It might actually have something to do with the nostalgia of playing a game that reminds me of Dragon Ball Z / Goemon / Zelda / Various Animes I watched as a kid too. Either way, you'd be doing yourself a favor by at least taking a look at this game.

Now, off to grind for more items. :3

I just bought Sakura Samurai and it's very cool. Pretty challenging so far, it has some fun minigames (HIGH STAKES MELON SLICING), and a nice RPG-like system where you can level up your sword. And the gameplay is fun as hell! If they released it as a cartridge game for $20-$25 with a fully realized world map (e.g. Zelda-like, not a grid) and buffed up the textures a bit this would have been awesome, but I think I prefer saving 10-15 dollars compared to having a bit prettier game.

Also the music is great

Mario Tennis 3DS in May this year?

all my money. take it.
Ughhh so many games so little funds.

That being said, I am super hype for this, looks like it plays pretty similar to the GC one which I am more or less content with and if it has online I will be a happy man.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
so guys, what is mario tennis like? it seems pretty boring in concept (though the GBC and GCN games are highly praised). when i hear mario tennis, i think like...mario sports, mario/sonic olympic games. obviously it's not this if people are raving over it.

can someone give me a general overview of what gameplay is like?

I would be so pschyed for a sequel to mario tennis power tour (which was the gba counterpart to the gamecube one, and it incorporated rpg elements into a tennis game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)