Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anybody else want earthbound on the eshop really badly?
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BADLY

Seriously, this seems like a giant goldmine they're sitting on here. Even if they were to spruce up and translate the game for a full game release rather than just the E-shop, I am certain they would make a packet on it.

Unfortunately, the fact the ssb just got started means that we'll be lucky to get it in 2013, and as much as I want FE13, we still haven't gotten new mystery of the emblem yet :(

However; the last story, mario tenis, and 999 all look to be amazing games that will (hopefully) be out soon.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge here. The only tennis game I've played is the wiisports one. But how on earth is mario tennis fun? Wouldn't it just be like, "hope to whack the ball back and forth until you miss and they win?" Normally when I see any "mario sports game" I automatically cringe and keep on walking. What made the previous mario tennis games worth playing?

The original Mario Tennis had some really great features built into it by Camelot, such as being able to transfer your character over from the Game Boy Colour Mario Tennis. I think your point about the enjoyment really holds true until you bring in Mario Power Tennis though, which introduced "specials" that you could activate after enough rallying to either perform a super-smash or a last-ditch saving move (which would basically hit the ball back even if you were on the other side of the court). It's these additions that really made it a full-fledged Mario sports title but looking back on the original 64 I wonder why I got so into it, since you're pretty much right about the gameplay.

Oh well, Mario + anything sells and I was a kid.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why would you cringe at a Mario Sports game? Most of them are very well made multiplayer games. Super Mario Strikers Charged was awesome. I remember bringing that over to a friend's place and him buying it immediately afterwards.

Meh, Strikers was ok, but then again I hate soccer...maybe if it were more like Strikers (with the checking and electrified fences) it'd be more fun.

So I didn't watch whatever dumb evernote thing was up, but it sounds a bit like Mario Tennis is returning back to its N64 form, which I welcome; I found the specials in the Gamecube to be shit quite frankly, was so fucking sick of stupid AIs pulling off game-saving reversals out of their asses. If I'm gonna smash the ball in your fucking face or to a corner, you shouldn't be able to yank out some fucking vacuum or what have you to return it. The lack of an RPG mode is sad, but if there's no Wii or Wii U version imminent (dunno if there is or not), it does lose a bit of its value since you wouldn't get to use them in the console version (which let's face it, was the entire point of the rpg, to build up characters to use right?).

Since there were Miis in the video I think there will still be customisable characters, just not with an RPG mode.

I've never played Mario Tennis outside of the 64 game so I'm not too sure about the RPG part.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
It's these additions that really made it a full-fledged Mario sports title but looking back on the original 64 I wonder why I got so into it, since you're pretty much right about the gameplay.

Oh well, Mario + anything sells and I was a kid.
much like YK i was dumbfounded at mattj's question; why the hell is the N64 game so much damn fun? why am i so interested in mario tennis 3ds?

i will never know.

You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge here. The only tennis game I've played is the wiisports one. But how on earth is mario tennis fun? Wouldn't it just be like, "hope to whack the ball back and forth until you miss and they win?" Normally when I see any "mario sports game" I automatically cringe and keep on walking. What made the previous mario tennis games worth playing?
To be fair, your argument can apply to any sports game really. What makes running back and forth to shoot a ball through a hoop so fun in NBA2K whatever? What makes FIFA-insert year so fun, all you do is kick a ball around between people running back and forth across a field yet again. Racing games in general (Mario and other copies of it aside) I find as boring as hell, I do enough driving in real life, why do I want to simulate driving more? Though en, football games are kinda fun since you get to see both sides of the field and do have differences in it.

But anyways, I dunno, it's just something you have to try to get the fun feeling of I guess, even I can't explain it. It just is fun, and 100x better than Wii Sports I think, you have much more control other than flailing your wrists about. I mean yea you have your other usual real-life tennis sims, but Mario Tennis, well makes it more fun and (N64 one) does a pretty fun take on how it is in real life while keeping the Mario elements (Gamecube has the goofy shit I dislike, but as I grew up on the N64 one, could be another reason why I don't like it). Each character has their own strengths/weaknesses as well, which makes for interesting play, and the highest setting for hard is moderately challenging as well without feeling like the AI is cheating (unlike some games where it's obvious they're given hax advantages, like the Battle Subway).

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
That's probably because this version was designed for the circle pad add on.

What I mean about Mario Tennis is:

I think the newer Pokemon games are fun because they have over 600 playable characters, hundreds of moves and items, a challenging online wifi community, and layers upon convoluted layers of hidden intricacy.

I think newer Zelda games are fun because they have hours of dungeon crawling fantasy exploration, a fairly realistic and customizable battle system, tons of sidequests, and all the swashbuckling story line that you can swallow.

Why is Mario Tennis fun? I realize that everyone has their own tastes. I was just curious what made it fun for each of you, so maybe I would read something that struck a chord with me and would make me want to check it out. I've never at all been a fan of sports games, but maybe Mario Tennis is worth checking out on the 3DS.

I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing the game or anyone who likes the game.

Why is Mario Tennis fun? I realize that everyone has their own tastes. I was just curious what made it fun for each of you, so maybe I would read something that struck a chord with me and would make me want to check it out. I've never at all been a fan of sports games, but maybe Mario Tennis is worth checking out on the 3DS.
For me it's a lot like Pokemon. I play the RPG versions of the game because enjoy it and can present a challenge and I play against my friends because it is competitive and I have a good time. Obviously, no one (to my knowledge) actively tiers Mario Tennis characters and develops super in depth knowledge and such, but it's a test of skill against people I know and like any non co-op multiplayer games, as long the game is well done, I'll enjoy playing with people I know as a casual competitive experience.

I kinda love games that you face whoever you're playing with, so I guess that's why I like them so much. Also tennis is a cool sport!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
So I downloaded the Crush3D demo this morning and played through a few puzzles. Its definitely a well polished, smooth looking puzzle game that makes good use of the 3DS's 3D screen. Honestly it may have something to do with the fact that I just finished 250 or so Pushmo puzzles, but I'm just puzzled out at the moment. I didn't even finish the third puzzle in Crush3D. Maybe in a year or so I'll be in the mood again and pick this one up. The writing also struck me as odd, but not necessarily in a bad way. It reminded me of something my friends and I would have written back in the 5th grade. That's not a terribly bad thing because those were some fun times. But it just struck me as really... amateurish?

I also pre-ordered Kid Icarus last night at Gamestop. In case anyone has been living under a rock didn't already know, if you pre-order through gamestop they'll give you a code for the 3D version of the old Kid Icarus for your 3DS.

And finally, kind of old news, but geez Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is going to be an amazingly smooth looking and polished RPG for 3DS!

Ok, so question...for the 3DS titles, can you play them over a WPA encrypted wifi network? Or is it the same deal was with the old DS titles and you need WEP or none to play? For that matter how good in general is the wifi, any better than old DS?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tales is fun, the battle system is a blast and so far it's been a joy to play, however there is one small issue with it for me. If you are a Tales fan like myself you know that there are numerous little side events that you can do throughout the game and sometimes they have very specific cutoff points that are brutal and unfair. Some of them just get you a new attack or title and such but as a completionist I feel like I need to have a sidequest guide with me whenever I play just so I don't skip anything. So it doesn't feel like a handheld game in that respect. I really with the Tales games and RPG's in general would ditch these annoying mini sidequests with dumb cutoff points.

If you are worried about being spoiled, since these guides often do tat just play through the game as is and then on your second play-through where you can use your grade to change your game use a guide then, might be the better choice.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tales of the Abyss is a great game. I'm trying to track down a copy while the Best Buy Canada $10 off coupon is still valid but it's proving tough. It was a very limited print it seems. The 3DS version fixes the #1 issue with the PS2 version which was the terrible load times.

You've been able to play games over WPA since the DSi.
Uh no...explain why I can't connect to the store in say FE then with my DSi, or download new quests in DQIX with the DSi? Or log onto the GTS from my DSi with HGSS? Or race people on the old Mario Kart? As far as I know, Black/White is the only DS cart that can be used over WPA encryption from a DSi. I guess I meant to specify Nintendo WFC if that makes a difference.

So yeah, unless I'm wrong and some weird shit came up every time I tried one of the above scenarios (which admittedly can happen considering what a horrid provider Cox is), question still stands, still wondering as I don't want to buy one only to find out I can't play people on say Mario Kart 3DS because I use WPA encryption on my router.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I was thiiiiiis close to buying Tales on Saturday, but pre-ordered Kid Icarus instead... now you guys are making me want to go back and... :(

Speaking of Kid Icarus, I knew the game was supposed to come with 6 AR cards, but I didn't realize there will literally be hundreds of them! Hopefully they'll all be posted online so we can just print them out or something.

Also, HECK YEAH SEGA GAME GEAR GAMES FOR THE 3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE! That handheld was amazing when I was little! It was so far ahead of the times back then!

[edit]
@Shinyru: The DSi has been able to use WPA since it came out, but the pokemon games were retarded and didn't incorporate WPA functionality till Black and White. The reason you couldn't use WPA was the games themselves, not the DSi. The 3DS and all 3DS games are compatible with WPA.

I picked up Tales two weeks ago. Load times are so much better now. Also, if you must do all of the sidequests use the Extras Guide on gamefaqs - it's to the point and has very few spoilers.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
About how many hours can someone who loves good RPGs get out of Tales? I got 98 hours out of my first runthrough of Skyward Sword, so I'm willing to put the time in and explore everything if its a good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)