Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurora

aujourd'hui à
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't even USE my 3DS.
The only thing I use it for is as a vector to trade Pokemon from one game to another.
And yes, the 3D makes me want to hurl.

I don't even USE my 3DS.
The only thing I use it for is as a vector to trade Pokemon from one game to another.
And yes, the 3D makes me want to hurl.
Turn the 3D off and pick up some games. There are some good ones out already, and this summer (winter for us) and rest of 2012 is going to be the 3DS explosion, with a lot of games I at least am looking forward to (some from flagship franchises). Either way the library is going to fill up, especially if the DS's excellent third-party library is any indication, and then you'll have plenty of reason to use your 3DS.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Turn the 3D off and pick up some games. There are some good ones out already, and this summer (winter for us) and rest of 2012 is going to be the 3DS explosion, with a lot of games I at least am looking forward to (some from flagship franchises). Either way the library is going to fill up, especially if the DS's excellent third-party library is any indication, and then you'll have plenty of reason to use your 3DS.
Most notably, this.

Remember that TBA dates released by IGN/Gamestop/etc. are usually very wrong. They usually make up a date several months in advance in order to generate hype/preorders. For example, it is highly unlikely that we'll be getting Smash Bros. in "TBA 2013" due to the fact they just recently started working on it.

Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's Mansion all supposedly have a release date in the Summer, but I'd expect only one of them (LM probs) to come out soon with the others pushed back until winter. Remember, after the 3DS was announced at E3, they had about 7-8 1st party games they "projected" to come out by the summer of 2011, when in reality only Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Zelda and SF64 came out by the end of the year.

There's also Mario Tennis (May), Kingdom Hearts (TBA), Professor Layton (TBA, hopefully soonish), and the sequel to 999 (late 2012) to look forward to. Other than those and a couple I might be forgetting... meh.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Remember that TBA dates released by IGN/Gamestop/etc. are usually very wrong. They usually make up a date several months in advance in order to generate hype/preorders. For example, it is highly unlikely that we'll be getting Smash Bros. in "TBA 2013" due to the fact they just recently started working on it.

Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's Mansion all supposedly have a release date in the Summer, but I'd expect only one of them (LM probs) to come out soon with the others pushed back until winter. Remember, after the 3DS was announced at E3, they had about 7-8 1st party games they "projected" to come out by the summer of 2011, when in reality only Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Zelda and SF64 came out by the end of the year.

There's also Mario Tennis (May), Kingdom Hearts (TBA), Professor Layton (TBA, hopefully soonish), and the sequel to 999 (late 2012) to look forward to. Other than those and a couple I might be forgetting... meh.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I was more posting in conjunction w/ what jumpluff said about 2012 in general, but i don't usually take much stock in non-official release dates.

Got KI:U on Saturday, and other than a few noticible (spelling?) plot holes, the story was actually really engaging. The only annoying part was that I got one good weapon throughout the game and it lasted me two whole chapters before becoming useless. I do like the fact that the graphics were very similar to Brawl's, which is good for a handheld. The multiplayer is also really fun, but I have yet to actually play to it's full extent.

P.S. Sorry about earlier when I wrote that Gamestop said the release date for Smash Bros. was 1/1/13, turns out it was actually Kingdom Hearts 3D... yeah, not really sure how that happened.

Anyone know of a good deal for a 3DS? I saw TRU had a $20 gift card when you buy one this week, but I was half-hoping somewhere would offer a $50 gift card for buying one like Best Buy did last year.

Thank you both!

Oh. Incase anyone else has a Gamestop salesperson who doesn't actually own a 3DS and doesn't know how to make use of the download code for the 3D Version of the old NES Kid Icarus:

eshop
settings and other
download code
type in the 16 digit code on your receipt
enjoy the 3D 8 bit NES graphics and music
Question: Did you have to reserve the game at Gamestop to get a code for 3D Classics: Kid Icarus? Because I reserved it elsewhere (that hasn't told me it has come in yet, >:[ ) and I actually want the 3D Classics game. From what I saw in the preview video, the graphics look so much clearer and more colorful than the NES game while still looking 8-bit, and considering that downloaded games for the 3DS usually look blurry, that is definitely commendable.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Just got KI:Uprising.

Pretty impressed by the graphics and fast pacing of the game. Camera controls are obviously TOUGH and that little kickstand definitely helps.

AR Cards I got:
Pit
Palutena
Fortune Bow
Dark Pit
Twinbellows the Ferocious
Mik

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Another KI:U buyer, got it on Friday having a great time playing it, controls take some time getting used to but definitely not as bad as I read before purchasing. As for weapons, claws and blades are definitely my favorites, clubs are cool too but the decreased speed hurts me more than the extra power helps me most of the time, especially against bosses.

AR Cards:

Pit
Palutena
Medusa
Twin Bellows the Ferocious
Fortune Bow
Monoeye

So according to Gamestop's site, their next shipment of circle pad pros has been pushed back even further.

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/accessories/3ds-circle-pad-pro-gamestop-exclusive/98636

Under release date it says that it won't be available until July. I think that this is pretty ridiculous. I missed the first batch and have to wait 5 months for another shipment? I don't really understand that.

I'm canceling my pre-order. For one, I won't be around to pick it up as school will be out, and the thing isn't necessary for games anyway.

For you KI:U players, what intensity do you guys play on?

In the early chapters, I can usually beat them on 5 or higher (haven't tried anything higher than 6, but I will sometime) but the later chapters are harder :x

As for weapons, I like Orbitars the best. They aren't too powerful but I like the way they look xD I hate clubs and claws, blades/staffs are cool though. Bows would be cool but I just don't like them.

For you KI:U players, what intensity do you guys play on?

In the early chapters, I can usually beat them on 5 or higher (haven't tried anything higher than 6, but I will sometime) but the later chapters are harder :x

As for weapons, I like Orbitars the best. They aren't too powerful but I like the way they look xD I hate clubs and claws, blades/staffs are cool though. Bows would be cool but I just don't like them.
I usually go with 7 intensity just in case I happen to stumble upon a gate in a stage. The flying portions are pretty rough at times, but I usually do better once I'm grounded.

I absolutely am in love with staffs and claws for solo play. Great for mowing down enemies, either from afar or up close. Online is a different matter, though. Claws are pretty popular with the kiddies, but real men use clubs. The damage they can put out is absolutely beastly. You can really break up a fight by chucking out those massive charged shots (which are great for stealing kills, btdubs) and nobody wants to get close to you in fear of your crazy melee. Yeah, they're slow but there are ways around that...

Online is a different matter, though. Claws are pretty popular with the kiddies, but real men use clubs. The damage they can put out is absolutely beastly. You can really break up a fight by chucking out those massive charged shots (which are great for stealing kills, btdubs) and nobody wants to get close to you in fear of your crazy melee. Yeah, they're slow but there are ways around that...
I agree with you there, clubs are great for online play. I love using the Skyscraper Club. Its charged shot is awesome! I haven't really tried any other clubs :P

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy

My favorite for ingame and wifi so far. You can freaking just hold the L button and continuously swing and bat enemy shots back at them if your health gets low in the flying portions. Its like having a shield. I have no clue how I got a hold of it, but I have a pretty good one. Its value is 220, 3*s for Ranged and 2*s for Melee. +1 Defense, Health, Poison, Walking Speed. I like it even more than my various other weapons that are in the 260-280 range. I can't wait till I can get a hold of a more powerful version.

I'd seriously RNG this stuff if I had some idea of where to start. :p

For those of you needing a little extra $$$ in order to pick up KI:U, Gamestop and Best Buy are offering 50-60% more on trade-ins.

Also, for all of you European 3DS owners, do ads like this seriously make you people want to buy games?

I mean, is it just a cultural difference or

Oh, and, Mutant Muds Demo on the way for the US.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I usually start at 6 intensity for a new stage but will change that now that the intensity gates are getting more picky and I'm starting to gather better weapons. I've been revisiting the older areas to at least get through at least intensity 8 on each (managed 9 on the first chapter just this morning, after so many deaths ;__;). I haven't tried online play so can't comment on weapons there, but on solo just got a crusher arm and I'm really liking it, would prefer to use a blade since those are my favorites but all the blades I can fuse/purchase atm are kind of bad imo. Not a big fan of bow or staffs over all, few times I've used them they just didn't click with me.

This message was received by Club Nintendo members.

Sakurai said:
A Special Message From Masahiro Sakurai

Hello Super Smash Bros. fans,This is Masahiro Sakurai, Director and Game Designer of Kid Icarus: Uprising. I am also the Director of the Super Smash Bros. series.

The character Pit, who appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii, was the main character in Kid Icarus 25 years ago. In bringing him to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I designed him imagining, "if the series had continued and he had evolved with it over these long years, what kind of character would he be?"

Link from The Legend of Zelda has appropriately changed and developed alongside the series, but in Pit's case, he needed to change in one big leap. You all know the kind of role he played in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It was through a very strange twist of fate that I came to create this new entry in the Kid Icarus series. I think being able to add your touch to a title of this nature is almost unprecedented.

So, of course, I have made no compromises on content.It has a fun multiplayer mode that is brimming with variety, which it inherits from the Super Smash Bros. games. The weapons, powers, and stages combine to create different results every time. You never know what will happen. Please try to play it with six players.

On top of that, it has a robust single-player mode. The theme of this mode is challenge, and it starts with the Fiend's Cauldron. It's not the kind of game that you play through once and are done with—you can play this mode many times, as often as you like. The story is also quite robust from a gaming perspective. I wrote the entire Japanese script myself, and it is rich with humor and plot shifts, which have been translated overseas by the staff at Nintendo of America. If you find it funny in your own tongue, it's because of the efforts of NOA's localization team.

I hope you will enjoy Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Sincerely,
Masahiro Sakurai
This guy is a machine.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I don't meant to rip on the script but seriously? The amount of bad jokes they tell in that game is more than I've heard from some of my friends.

If I were to say what items I currently like, well it would have to be a toss-up between claws, bows and blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)