The Everything Eli Manning Thread - Overrated Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ochocinco released from New England. =[

Also Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers make up 12.5% of the League's starting QB's so the 1 or 2% metric is a little off, although I understood what you meant.
I meant total players in the league, which would mean there are around 15 players currently in the league who could wear the tag "elite" without devaluing the word IMO. That number made sense in my head but I should have clarified that I meant out of everyone, not just starting QBs. Although it's no coincidence that many "elite" NFL players happen to be starting QBs.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
can we make a rule against linking bleacher report articles as part of serious debates? It's like citing Wikipedia in your dissertation...

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
can we make a rule against linking bleacher report articles as part of serious debates? It's like citing Wikipedia in your dissertation...
Except worse, because Wikipedia, while being uncitable, will still give good information about 80-90% of the time.

Ochocinco to the Dolphins...well between Tannehill's wife and him, it'll make for an interesting Hard Knocks season at least (though I don't have HBO to enjoy it anymore). Can't get much better for a combo of eye candy and antics.

I'm also annoyed at all these arbitrators upholding Goodell's authority to unilaterally discipline anything he doesn't like, doesn't anyone have some backbone? Or how much did he bribe them with over whatever the union probably offered?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ochocinco picked up by the Dolphins >_>

I like the guy but I really hope they aren't expecting him to replace Brandon Marshall. Some Pats fans (certain NE radio talk show hosts and callers, the Sports Hub is fucking terrible except for DA) seemed to think he was going to come in and be the next Randy Moss. Please, Dolphin management, don't make the same mistake

it was a joke article and it was pretty funny

whatsthebigdeal.jpg
Imagine that, butthurt people who get butthurt about everything getting butthurt over an article they didn't even read. People like that make posts like yours even more refreshing

TheValkyries

Fucking trolls. Shit's Glorious.

Ballard gets waived by the Giants and before he gets placed on IR, got picked up by the Patriots. Not even sure how this fucking works, but all I know is we stole a damn good player from the Giants, and I think it happened entirely out of spite.

Fucking trolls. Shit's Glorious.

Ballard gets waived by the Giants and before he gets placed on IR, got picked up by the Patriots. Not even sure how this fucking works, but all I know is we stole a damn good player from the Giants, and I think it happened entirely out of spite.
What are odds that the Patriots did this to replace Hernandez? Once his contract is up this year. A cheaper more balanced TE opposite Gronkowski. That's the most logical reason.

Ballard was a favorite player of mine. He was another great story and i'm sad that he is gone. Not really a huge blow since the Giants can turn most 6'5 guys into useful TEs. But i will always remember that Patriots game in the regular season and what he did.

LOL smart move by the patriots but it's still a dick move imo. they don't really have THAT much to gain from this though, compared to an NFC East rival... guess that shows how differently the patriots operate from most teams.

I don't see the issue with this. The Giants have 90 roster spots and waived the guy. If they really wanted to keep him then they shouldn't have waived him.

Unwritten rules are dumb. If everybody wants something to be a rule, make it a written rule.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Give Belichick more credit than that Valkyries. He saw a solid 24 year old player at a position he likes available on waivers, it's a smart football play. He saw Ballard in 2 games last year so he has experience against him as well. It doesn't matter if he was on the Giants or the freakin Jaguars, he would have made the same play. Belichick doesn't operate out of spite, because that is an emotion.

So, Belichick is a robot then?

But yeah, Giants were dumb to take that risk if they really intended on keeping him or wanted him. I bet more teams will be cautious when they try dropping players on waivers to resign later from now on. Of course, this is no guarantee Patriots will keep this guy either, they could drop him after he's served his purpose of being denied to the Giants.

The Giants gambled on being able to claim him after clearing wires, and they lost. It isn't an issue for this coming year. Ballard tore his ACL and to make things worse needed microfracture surgery the offseason, and was going to miss the entire season. He's going to be an exclusive rights FA after this next season, so I'm guessing the Patriots are going to extend him in case they lose Hernandez. I liked Ballard, hope he recovers fully and does well.

This is the worst part: http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/231324/jake-ballard-required-microfracture-surgery
"The damaged cartilage that required microfracture surgery likely occurred when Ballard went to test the knee on the sidelines after tearing his ACL."

Give Belichick more credit than that Valkyries. He saw a solid 24 year old player at a position he likes available on waivers, it's a smart football play. He saw Ballard in 2 games last year so he has experience against him as well. It doesn't matter if he was on the Giants or the freakin Jaguars, he would have made the same play. Belichick doesn't operate out of spite, because that is an emotion.
Have you seen the locker room interview of Bill after the SB 42 loss? He was in the verge of tears. He is not as emotionless as you think. And seeing how big of a scumbag he is i would not rule out the possability of him taking Ballard just to screw with the Giants organization(who never liked the guy even when he was part of it).

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Ladanian Tomlinson retired, good riddance. The man with the emptiest numbers in football history, complete classless asshole, and it really sucks that he's the 5th leading rusher because that means instant HOF despite never producing when it mattered.

He is not as emotionless as you think.
Obviously I think Belichick is a person and not a robot. But on the football field? I'm not so sure sometimes. The man operates at a level unlike anyone else when it comes to personnel decisions.

[insert spygate superbowl tom brady stuff here ~_~. jk]

but seriously LT was one of my favorite players to watch when I first started watching football. him and vick lol :P. sad to see him go... especially this way too.

ESPN Insiders Article said:
Cam Newton, QB, Carolina Panthers

Newton's backers would defend his Pro Bowl nomination last year by quoting that Newton set a single-season record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (14) and became the first player to pass for 4,000 yards and rush for 500 yards in a season.

Those are impressive marks on their face but they are quantity-based and occurred after a lockout-truncated offseason. As I mentioned in my fantasy football draft guide, the lockout hurt defenses' ability to practice blitzes, which was a primary factor in why passing offenses were so explosive early on.

This impacted Newton as much as anyone, as he threw for 374 or more yards in three of his first four games. Once defenses started to get up to speed, however, Newton wasn't close to as effective a passer, throwing for 208 or fewer yards in five of his last six games.

These defensive adjustments are a main reason why Newton came up short in the areas of vertical yards per attempt (10.5, tied for 21st) and stretch vertical yards per attempt (12.6, tied for 17th). (Note: vertical passes are aerials thrown 11 or more yards downfield; stretch vertical passes are thrown 20 or more yards)

Newton also came up well short in ESPN's Total QBR metric (56.6, ranked 16th) and he posted a 4.2 percent bad decision rate (BDR) that was the fifth-highest mark in that category last season. (Note: BDR measures how often a quarterback makes a mental error that leads either to a turnover or a near-turnover such as a dropped interception)

There is little doubt Newton's incredible drive will, when combined with his talent, make him a Pro Bowl-caliber quarterback in the future, but he isn't quite there yet.
I guess the last sentence was just added so Panthers fans could have some little glimmer of hope in their minds.

lolcam

I guess the last sentence was just added so Panthers fans could have some little glimmer of hope in their minds.

lolcam
He was a rookie brah, and played better than he should have. While Romo should have gone to the Pro Bowl instead of him, it doesn't mean that Cam didn't deserve to be there(though he lost the game by himself).

But to more annoying matters... Why is it that every offseason there is so much hype around the Cowboys and Eagles? Seriously? I can't watch ESPN without someone announcing how the Eagles just won the next two SBs or how crazy loaded the Cowboys are. The Giants are even predicted to go 8-8 or 9-7(at best). I actually would rather watch Patriot hype or more LeBron stuff at this point. Anyway here is a round up of why the Giants are going to to go 5-11, the Eagles 16-0 and the Cowboys 14-2 according to ESPN/NFL.COM/NFL Network(by a poster in a more Giants oriented site. Just for laughs).

→ We lost the offseason to the Cowboys who apparently drafted the best CB of all time and got Brandon Carr, who is now all of a sudden a shutdown cornerback that has no flaws.

→ We lost the offseason to the Eagles who, since they gave Desean a new contract, he’ll light up the entire league. They drafted the next Warren Sapp, Jared Allen, and Brian Urlacher with their first three picks. Also Demeco Ryans makes sure the Eagles haveno holes.

→ We lost the offseason to the Redskins who signed the suddenly awesome Pierre Garcon, and drafted a hybrid Joe Montana/Dan Marino in RGIII.

→ We drafted a 3rd string running back and a WR not worth a damn in the first two rounds.

→ We lost Brandon Jacobs, Aaron Ross, and Mario Manningham, who are indispensible keys to a team, and without them, we’ll be lucky if we go 0-16. Nevermind that those three were the ones getting pooped on by everybody throughout the season. Just how many losses can this team take? I mean, it was over when Steve Smith and Kevin Boss left, right?

→ Grabbing Keith Rivers means nothing. He’s washed up and a total and huge bust. Martellus Bennett should be cut. Doesn’t matter that Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck are finally healthy, or Terrell Thomas is finally healthy, or we actually have our 2nd round pick from a year ago back, or we actually have CB depth right now, or our LT is finally healthy.

→ Eli Manning sucks, and got lucky.

→ The Giants faced one of the most difficult schedules in the league last year, and boy did they stink it up.

→ They won 6 games in a row last year. Who cares? the Eagles won FOUR in a row! FOUR!

→ Given all this, and the fact that we won the superbowl last year, no wonder we aren’t favorites in the division. It makes perfect sense!

cam wont pass for more than 3500 yards this season. you heard it here first lol

and yeah i agree the eagles and cowboys are ALWAYS hyped. the chargers are too but not as much this year.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That person's post was really annoying to read. A little sarcasm is cool, but when your post is deliberately overflowing with unnecessary amounts it just becomes obnoxious.

TheValkyries

That person's post was really annoying to read. A little sarcasm is cool, but when your post is deliberately overflowing with unnecessary amounts it just becomes obnoxious.
That was sarcasm? I only saw true statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)