What were you like when you first joined this forum?

When I first joined, I was pretty ignorant about the Pokemon metagame, however I've learned much more.

I also posted some bad posts in this forum, but I think I've improved now.

Anyways, what were you like when you first joined this forum? Were you a n00b? Did you post well when you first joined?

In you guys opinion, are there any members who've been here since July (My join month), who make good posts?

July? Isn't that when I first posted me X5Dragon Dances all D-Nite? I used to have 1300 points back then...LIKE A BAAWS. Then I messed up and got 2nd and beaten to the peak by a cheating account.

It got worse from there. I'm now demoted to asking mods not to ban me, post car photos and bumping old topics.

But hey, it's not bad...it could be worse and I could be posting a cheese poll without mentioning anything delicious.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
well I was 14 years old and incredibly immature, I did my best to stay clear of the mods which is the only reason I wasn't banned prob

I was really stupid and hung out basically only in the smogon cesspools(social groups). Now I am more active in the forum by posting in; RU,NU, Orange Island, GBU, and Chloraforum mostly. Though I still can't shake the habit of the social groups, I balance things out. I stay here mostly for friends I made and kicks&giggles. I think I have grown in intelligence and knowledge since my joining of smogon.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fairly terrible poster and I know I pissed off a number of people in my earlier days.

Shaped up and I am now a mod.

Considering this is really the first time I have used these forums... the same as I am now.

Forums in general? I started posting on message boards in the 5th grade, so I am sure I was extremely immature and obnoxious. I guess I was like that until... 15? when I began to actually care about maintaining an online persona similar to that of how I am in real life, where I put some amount of thought into what I post (key word: some ;) ).

RODAN

Banned deucer.
can only relatively interesting users post itc

also i was a spriter who fused things like trapinch and hitmonlee

also i was a spriter who fused things like trapinch and hitmonlee
what went wrong rodan

what went wrong

---

as user -Life- I was pretty shitty (see: the luvdisc thread), but I eventually figured out what I was doing and now I run an imaginary metagame that is pretty much on life support if next month's stats aren't better :DDD

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
XxpokemonmasterXx

A few months after I joined I remember being bewildered by people who were paying hundreds of dollars to fly to Toronto so they could meet up and hang out. Now here I am a few days after getting back from paying hundreds of dollars to fly to Hawaii so I could meet up and hang out.

In you guys opinion, are there any members who've been here since July (My join month), who make good posts?
There are members who have been here for years that make shit posts. Bryne and some hero

But to answer your question I trolled a lot when I first joined and took mons really seriously on shoddy, which led me to do things like cheat on the ladder.

How did you cheat?

I'm pretty sure I was basically the same only less smart and I actually posted in places other than ASB.
I could probably double-check this by looking at my early posts but I'm kind of afriad to...

Nix_Hex

I hope you make a million dollars
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All I did was post in the Emerald and FR/LG RNG research threads and tried to be as helpful and unobtrusive as possible. I must have been shitty in firecong though because I remember az calling one of my threads "stupid" and two years later Oglemi once told me that my posts were "a lot more mature than they used to be" and to "keep it up."

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Definitely got better. Joined July last year, but didn't really post at all. At that point I was still new to forums, so I was probably really annoying and noobish. Though my first post, in December, I think it was... by that time, I got a bit better. Now I'm not so noobish anymore, I'd think. I've already got a case of, "I remember back when this section was better" on Serebii (which really isn't that great I realize, now that I've been around for a while), so that probably says something.

Since I'm a lurker, I haven't changed too much. I have still yet to write a quality post/thread. Maybe someday ...

when I joined, I was traumatized by an early posting experience that saw me get roasted for accidentally posting misinformation

anyone worth their salt gets over stuff like that quickly but this experience really stuck with me

I waited and watched for about a year before posting again. I decided I would only post when I could be useful, contributing artwork to projects

Over that year I would sometimes post in situations that I felt completely confident I was helping a thread or adding something to it, but these were very few in number

Although I would visit the site daily, I did not post for another two years, when I started contributing artwork to the site's official tournaments. I did so almost entirely through private messages. I discovered I no longer needed to post at all. I purposefully had other people put my work up in the appropriate forums so that I wouldn't have to

In early 2011, the praises to my name made me feel better about posting more, and strange things started happening: I started to make friends. What had for many years been a solitary experience was now a social one. The act of visiting the forums became more meaningful; I felt like a welcomed community member. Smogon became more than an inbox full of requests.

I share this because my being reclusive for so long remains a large regret of mine. Many new posters make the mistake of posting excessively without an understanding of the culture of the site or its sub-communities. The community does not hesitate to punish or ridicule them. However, I know I am not the only one who instead did the reverse and stayed distant and silent for much longer than I should have

If you're out there reading this and this sounds like you, I encourage you to speak up more in places you care about or find interesting. Even if you end up making a fool of yourself, these things are only as permanent as you let them be.

thanks for reading

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
i was a boring idiot who played mafia badly

now i'm just an idiot who plays and hosts mafia badly

i'm not sure if this is an improvement

I joined here as a rival from the old old Nintendo Nsider forums looking for more competition back in the glorious NB days...when it was finally ended by the bastards at NOA, pretty much just called here home. Come to think of it, my join date isn't entirely accurate since I've lurked before on another long-forgotten account before making one with a better name...

Nowdays, mainly to talk random stuff about sports and other topics with an occasional VGC mention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)