What were you like when you first joined this forum?

I am smeargles studio born and bred :)
Drawn in by spritig, made an account in August 2010, posted sprites like once, or an avy from Fate's thread and lurked for 6 months. Saw an art thread using an iPod app, bought it, drew some mons and posted an art thread
Wasn't a bad user but somehow oh god I spoke like this

Oh, great. Someone finally made this thread...

Anyway, in my early days of the forums, I would make idiotic posts in the Pokemon forums, frequenting Ubers and OverUsed. I then moved over to the social part of the forums, taking my poor posting quality with me.

Now I just don't post when I can help it.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
iirc i was a 11 year old lurker for my first 2 months (minus one day, exactly), and then i was a 12 year old lurker.

i was exceedingly terrible at everything i did that wasn't lurking (and probably bad at that too) except spriting, which i was okay at. kinda like now, except i don't sprite or play mafia anymore.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I was so into Pokemon back then when I started that I used to just make RMTs and comment on others.

then i got a tablet, and i forever lurk in smeargle's studio

When I first started out I actually participated in competitive battling (not that I was good, but I tried), now the best I do is lurk around the Metagame-forums. I did get more active in the Socialization in the Empire section, though, and think I went from a pretty shit poster to a slightly less-shit poster.

Ok two thing i noticed about new members is that they are either really timid and dont like posting much or they post alot often not knowing what they are talking about haha has anyone else noticed that? Any way when i joinend start of this year i wasn't to good of a battler i would basically post shit rmts and comment on other peoples rmts. Half a year later i have met a lot of cool people my rmts aren't noobish and actaully get a few luvdiscs (yay) and now i really enjoy rating teams as well and i see the ou rate my team thread as my second home. Not much has changed in terms of where i post. usually staying in the ou rate my team but the qaulity of my posts has increased due to me constantly. posting in that section

xenu

Banned deucer.
i'm pretty glad i outgrew my shitposting phase before joining, honestly.

i took "lurk more" to heart and so there was a difference of months between the time i joined and the time i made my first first real post. when i finally decided i was ready to post in firebot, though, it was removed and replaced with this forum instead.

I think I was 14 and thought that I needed a high post count, so I would post in every thread. Also, since I was 14, I didn't have anything important to say, but I didn't let that stop me!!!

I think when I was 15 or 16 I took a sabbatical from Pokemon for a couple years. When I came back, I turned into the 1/2 post per day guy that I am now, and mostly in the non-Pokemon sections since I'm now a casual Pokemoner (i.e. I'm not very good at it).

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, considering I was part of the IRC community before the boards came about, as well as having experience posting at other boards prior, I was fortunate enough to skip the "noob" period when I first created this account. However, I was not without my flaws. I had a tendency to make up stories to make myself look cooler on the internet (a pretty bad gimmick comes to mind), which led to a particular photo of me being "altered" and reposted. This put me on bad footing with a few of the core users, so I worked on shaping up and just being more well rounded and mature. I really don't have any excuses for being the way I was, I was 21 years old by the time I made this username so I should have been a lot better than I was. However, over the years I've learned a great deal and I think I've improved vastly as a poster. I doubt they would have made me a mod if I hadn't.

This is an interesting self-reflection exercise for many of us, but I'm not sure how the OP can be reflecting already...

Not a huge difference from when I joined. Don't really get involved with projects, people or threads on the forums very often. Spent about a year in wifi because I wanted perfect pokemons. Made probably one good friend from my time there (Hamstern ^^), made a few more from #smogcraft. Not particularly happy about the way the A Forum/Firebot etc has basically lost all sense of originality. Looks like every other general board out there. Happy enough with who I am here after 7 years.

Also fun fact: 80% of my posts fall at the bottom of a page where they never get read.

How did you cheat?

I'm pretty sure I was basically the same only less smart and I actually posted in places other than ASB.
I could probably double-check this by looking at my early posts but I'm kind of afriad to...
Similar to on PS you used to be able to find matches while on 2 (or more) different accounts. Once you got paired up with each other you would have the account you don't care about leave. This would boost points to the account of your choosing. The difference between PS and Shoddy though is that it was never possible to lose points from winning a battle regardless of how low the accounts rating was.

I suppose a was more temperamental and generally went on Smogon for spriting above all else for a few months. Eventually I outgrew that and starting sitting around on here, mostly for the yearly music topics. That hasn't changed. Can't say Smogon has had any adverse affects on who I am or given me a spark to really strive in the community. I just find these forums entertaining and occasionally thought provoking, which is enough to keep me coming back.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
When I first started I was a noob. I made noob comments, made noob RMTs, made noob comments on RMTs. I posted like, an OU team with Typhlosion or something, and even made a troll DPP OU Baton Pass team.

Made terrible RMTs based around Bellyzard...
My first ever team

Honestly I was a pretty bad poster. My first two years I never opened a single forum that wasn't RMT, and churned out loads of topics. I was from Gamefaqs and had never learned about the Edit button, so I received multiple infractions for flooding. Only last year did I get into C&C, and from that point on I started to go on IRC, and have become a better user imo.

I joined almost two years ago, and didn't post for about a year after I joined.

But when I first joined I had been lurking shoddy for about 6 months before and I was a bit of an idiot (using only mono teams on the ladder, and other random shit), but I am glad I never posted so there is no proof of this idiocy! I think Lurking forums for a while before you post makes for much better posts when you do, making an idiot of yourself by posting dumb shit is never a good idea!

Now all I do is lurk this forum and circus, and when I am feeling up to playing mons I would just post in NU forum.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I joined this forum, but wasn't active until about a year later. My first post was a picture of myself in the photo album thread. I didn't become active until I started getting into Gen 4 UU. All I did was debate UU, which is a roundabout summary of what I do now.

The one thing I really miss about those days is that the community wasn't quite as serious as it is now. There are stricter limits on what we can and cannot post and no one makes jokes or lighthearted posts about what they saw/experienced on the ladder. It doesn't seem like anyone is really having fun here now. We need to bring that atmosphere back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)