Most Emotional Pokémon Memory

So with a new generation of Pokémon just nine months away (*insert pregnancy joke*), I've finally come to realize that us older players won't be the only ones happy to bust out a new Pokémon game, but also a new wave of little kids ready to start their Pokémon adventures. Now, with all these new and old adventures, some emotional events are probably ready to stir - and so, Smogonites, I ask you, what was your most emotional memory of Pokémon? It could be triumph, genuine sadness, anger, whatever...and it could be in any medium! I'm not trying to set any rules. :)

I guess I'll start by sharing mine. I guess it was that first sense of adventure and freedom I felt picking Turtwig in Pokémon Pearl. Now, Mudkip had been my first starter in Pokémon Sapphire, but I hadn't picked Mudkip really - my friend talked me into it. I was too young to even understand how to play the game properly, and didn't really learn until Emerald, but then the game just felt...old. I didn't feel a sense of adventure, since I already knew the layout of the game.

But picking Turtwig of my own accord, and for the first time not knowing what lay ahead since I had bought the game on its release day, it was an emotional experience for me. It may sound extremely cliché and cheesy, but I actually felt like I had a connection to this Turtwig. Basically the entirety of Pokémon Pearl was a free adventure for me - not listening to my friend and picking Drifloon, beating my friend later with said Drifblim, and actually knowing what was going on was a big change for me regarding Pokémon. It really changed my outlook, and encouraged me to be more of an in-game person (although I have played competitively for two years now). Oh well, me and my Turtwig, we're bros. Except she's a girl, which I discovered later on, but I don't like to mention that. :3

Eeh I'll bite. Though, I disagree with the whole "older players" won't enjoy this. Unless, of course, you don't consider 19 old in which I say to you dude no wai iem almost 20.

Most emotional experience throughout the games is probably the Regi Ruins in RSE. I don't remember which game I played it in but I managed to actually research and translate all the braille by myself and decode all the messages. I slightly cheated with the whole wailord + relicanth thing (I snuck into gamestop and took a peak at a guide and then put it back :P) but otherwise I was pretty proud that I was able to do all this work. Then, I eventually came across my first Regi and, granted, I had no idea I was going to actually find a new pokemon at the end of this let alone 3. So, I was super pumped and excited that I found them on my own. This was around my summer camp days so, when I found out, I ended up sharing this discovery with all my friends and helping them find the regi's on their own. I remember it making me feel like I new a super cool secret and it was always fun seeing how intense my friends got when they finally reached the regis for themselves and spent the whole day trying to catch them.

Needless to say, the regi ruins gave me a real blast in my childhood and they're probably the most fun I've ever had in a pokemon game ever. Makes me want to take this game blind just to see if Nintendo is going to pull a similar stunt in Gen VI :)

One of my earliest and best memories of playing Pokemon is when I figured out how to leave my house in Pokemon Blue (I was like 5 or 6 years old so it was my first videogame). I spent a good 10 - 15 minutes just standing on the doormat waiting for something to happen until I accidentally pressed down and took my first step outside. I was blown away from what I saw, this was the first time I had played anything like this and I loved it. I immediately chose Squirtle as my starter and named it something dumb like "Squirt".

I still get a kick out of playing my Blue, just remembering how much enjoyment I got out of playing it when I was little, like having two Raticates and Pidgeys ('Wingy' and 'Flapflap') on my team just because I didn't give a shit about who I chose. Also Beedrill was like the coolest thing ever, how times have changed.

The thing I remember most fondly is the day I levelled my Charizard to lvl 100. I had spent ages training (its hard for kids to get lvl 100s!) and when that 99 changed it was the happiest moment lol. I rushed outside to show all the neighbor kids, I remember them all being so jealous. Then I biked to my friends house and we spent all day and night battling, his lvl 75 Blastoise just could not get the job done.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well i can't really remember it cause I would have been 6 but beating the Elite Four in Pokemon Red was probably a really emotionally charged moment for me.

The year Pokemon yellow came out, I was at my Grandmother's house for Christmas and I got Pokemon yellow for it. I can hardly remember many details aside from the pure joy of it. This was only the second Pokemon game I had played (the first was Red, and I can barely remember starting that), and I was a little kid thinking that it was going to be the best thing ever.

And in some ways it was.

On the other end of the spectrum, I remember that one day my parents had a friend over and they brought their kid, a guy around my age. I decided to let him start over my red version, but only temporarily because I still loved the Pokemon on my Red file (it was my first game, I might still have had my very first Pokemon on there). I didn't intend to save it though; we were just going to go through the beginning then turn it off when he went home. Then we had to go eat supper, and without thinking we saved the game so we could come back to it later. It wasn't until after we got back that I realized what I had done. I was so mad... I don't remember much of the details after that but the feeling of regret still lingers to this day.

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Most emotional experience throughout the games is probably the Regi Ruins in RSE. I don't remember which game I played it in but I managed to actually research and translate all the braille by myself and decode all the messages. I slightly cheated with the whole wailord + relicanth thing (I snuck into gamestop and took a peak at a guide and then put it back :P) but otherwise I was pretty proud that I was able to do all this work. Then, I eventually came across my first Regi and, granted, I had no idea I was going to actually find a new pokemon at the end of this let alone 3. So, I was super pumped and excited that I found them on my own. This was around my summer camp days so, when I found out, I ended up sharing this discovery with all my friends and helping them find the regi's on their own. I remember it making me feel like I new a super cool secret and it was always fun seeing how intense my friends got when they finally reached the regis for themselves and spent the whole day trying to catch them.

Needless to say, the regi ruins gave me a real blast in my childhood and they're probably the most fun I've ever had in a pokemon game ever. Makes me want to take this game blind just to see if Nintendo is going to pull a similar stunt in Gen VI :)
:o

It took me ages to even realise the Regis existed. I think probably about 6 months after I first got Ruby I came across that cavern with the braille and suddenly the braille code that came with the game made sense and I became a man on a mission to figure it out.

It was definitely amazing first encountering Registeel and thinking it was the coolest Pokemon ever. Catching all 3 of them gave me a huge sense of accomplishment moreso than than becoming champion etc.

And I can relate when showing friends the amazing Pokemon I caught :]

Definitely the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 1 ending. I dunno, but maybe it's just because that for once it felt like you were treating pokemon like actual humans, not just pets that you fight with...... You literally fought alongside of them, lived together with them, cried with them, and loved with them. It felt so.... real.

Getting my 100th win in pokemon sapphires battle tower, I had never gotten past the first round in crystal and it took forever to make it past in sapphire, it was the first real achievement I've had in a pokemon game. Purifying Lugia was also special, my friends helped me out trading their pokemon to me so i could make all of my boxes perfect

For me it definitely has to be when I found my Pokemon White, because like inanimate blob and his Turtwig, I had a special connection with my Samouret, I still want to find that game today.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Obvious one, but seriously, just beating what you know is the final boss of your first pokemon game, more specifically for me though, looking up Yanma's stats and relation to other pokemon afterwards! I think it was better beating Evice for me, because for whatever reason I thought you HAD to purify every shadow pokemon before beating him! After snagging the Grumpig, Absol, Mightyena, [Clueless, something like Tropius?] and Metagross(? they're probably wrong, not in the mood to research them) that you have to snag in the realgam colosseum, and it doesn't give you a chance to go back and heal (etc.) I was immediately beaten by Evice so I was sure my theory was right. I thought that Nintendo would have some chart or something of best and worst pokemon, so I went in with a team of the pokemon snagged in Realgam tower, but I didn't like houndoom's deisgn, and thought Metagross looked to OP :P, so I went in with Sunflora and Delibird out first (it gets better), Miltank, Tropius, Absol and Heracross! After leveling through the colosseum about 5 times, I still couldn't beat Evice with this team of practically 4 (Delibird and Sunflora were outsped and OHKO'd first turn) so I battled to about half past 9 in Mt. Battle (come on, I was 6 at the time, it's pretty late) training up and evolving the first pokemon you get, thinking it was some kind of backwards scale, so I went in there with a team of Espeon, Umbreon, Makuhita, Feraligatr, because I didn't want to pick out of the battle square, so I just went with Furret and Yanma. Yanma was my saviour. Nothing else could take down Slowking, and it ended up 1 vs 1 at the end, Yanma vs Slowking. Yanma's silver wind got the boost twice, meaning that he was fairly bulky, very strong and quick! Just looking up that he is one of the worst pokemon in existence afterwards just filled me with joy!

Damn celever you are making me feel old. Talking about playing Pokemon Colosseum at 6 when I was already a teenager when it came out XD.

Another big event for me was when I finally completed the Pokedex on my Pearl version (event Pokemon included, did some trades of chained shinies to get those. This was just before I signed up for Smogon otherwise I probably could have gotten the trades more easily here lol). It was the first time I had completed any Pokedex (really the first time I made a concentrated effort, due to always lacking version previously needed to complete them). I didn't exactly cheer and shout or anything, but I DID brag about it to anyone who'd know what I was talking about for around 3 years after the fact XD.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Probably beating the Elite Four in Pokémon Black in a single run with my headphones on at 3am. The battles themselves were pretty good, but the real kicker was that I had like three Hyper Potions at the time (extra challenge!), and that Elite Four music blaring away in my headphones combined with the pitch darkness really ramped the tension up. Thank God for my Acrobatics Archeops...

A long time ago, when I played silver, I had an Onyx (I didn't know it sucked but I liked its massive defence) against a clefairy. I used bind to get some residual damage before attacking with a stronger move. Then the clefairy encored me to bind which was terrible but the next turn, she used metronome and got self-destruct : she killed herself while doing litterally nothing to Onyx :P.

This is why I don't like metronome, I get self-destruct too much but I was so happy when it happened to the opponent :D.

More recently, I played crystal and I decided to challenge Red with my trololol lvl45-50 team :
Typhlosion
Sudowoodo
Hypno
Umbreon
Polywrath
Sunflora (<- :D)

I managed to beat him without using revives, just a few potions even with like 30 lvls lower. Red seems so strong with his super high levels but with a bit of strategy, it's very possible to beat him with weak pokemon :).

It's a tie between discovering mewtwo and zapdos in Blue and completing the pokédex on Crystal.

....ugh I feel so old.

Bascially the endings of PMD 1 and 2 were incredibly emotional for me, but I can't stress enough how I felt when in Blue Rescue Team Alakazam's team turns on us. We're being hunted like outlaws for a crime we didn't commit, and that was really emotional. But man, the ending, when you start to fade and disappear... man that's just heartbreaking when you see your partner completely break down.

Beating the elite 4 in saphire o;
I had a team of underleveled pokemon, swampert, kyogre, tena , other random water types o-o (theres like 1000 water types in hoenn)
I think i was against drake and i was losing then i commanded my kyogre to use ice beam desperately and i was like OOO: ice is supereffective?!
Then i went to fight steven and i think it was 1v1 with my swampert and his metagross and i won cx
Happiest moment evs!

My most emotional moment was a sad one. My most emotional moment was discovering Effort Values, I went to the Pokemon regional tournament in New Jersey in 2010 when the uber were put on a "restricted" list instead of just being banned and I just got swept first round by a mewtwo. It was horrifying to see the Pokemon I worked so hard to train be destroyed first round. Then, to top it all off, I learned about effort values that day, the kid taught me after beating me so I realized that I didn't even have a chance. TO MAKE THINGS EVEN WORSE My Pokemon were all level 100, all hopes them becoming stronger at that point were crushed.I would have to start all over. Pretty crappy day of my life....

Here is another story: I was at camp when all my level X cards were STOLEN along with some of my favorite cards. It turned me off of the TCG forever, and I haven't bought a pack to this day...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finishing sapphire for the first time got me. I was still so young, I got destroyed by every gym (Norman and the twins especially) and never got passed lucian. I think I only had a sceptile and some randoms I caught along the way (killed Kyogre and never though to reset). Decided to retry with torchic and saved the master ball for Kyogre. After beating Steven that first time I remember how excited I was to tell my brother. Since then gen 3 has been my favourite, always gives the best nostalgia kick playing through it (brb while I start a new game)

EDIT: ahhh and finally getting pikachu to do the happy dance in yellow. I swear that thing was always mad. I would to check his mood nonstop!

I would say it was Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red. It not only was the most emotional game for me but my first Pokemon game as well. The story line was so nicely built. The end made me tear up seeing how sad all the other Pokemon were. You literally were being erased from existence ;-;

It was so happy when you came back though..

Not from a game but I properly cried when Butterfree flew away with its new friends in the first series... After all that they had been through... Butterfree looked so happy... and that was Ash's best Pokemon, why did he let it leave?!!!

Here's what happens when you mix up a game plot with real life principles.

I remembered playing Pokemon Gold, and there was this guy who was looking through the window of Professor Elm's Pokemon Lab. He turns out to be your rival, and steals one of the starter Pokemon.

Well here's the funny thing. After bumping into him while he was running away, a policeman came and asked me if I noticed somebody running away. Then he asked me if I could give the person's name. I really wanted to give accurate information to a law enforcer, but I wasn't sure on his name. So I restarted my game, and paid closer attention this time. When I met the guy running away again, he introduced himself as ???. When the policeman asked me for his name, I told him that it was ???. I was very pleased with myself and with how I did my part of being a responsible citizen, and hoped that such accurate information could help justice reign supreme.

It was only years after that I realized that the rival's name wasn't ???. It never occurred to me that the game, at that point, was actually giving me an opportunity to give my rival a worthy name. Unfortunately, it's too late, and I would always know him to be ???.

Not from a game but I properly cried when Butterfree flew away with its new friends in the first series... After all that they had been through... Butterfree looked so happy... and that was Ash's best Pokemon, why did he let it leave?!!!
Butterfree had some...stuff...to take care of with his lady friend. :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)