Formula 1 2013

Which driver would you want to win the WDC?

• Sebastian Vettel

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Fernando Alonso

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Kimi Raikkonen

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
F1 2013 is in progress... let's discuss :D

Below is teammate challenge, and the format is how often they placed ahead of their teammates in Practice/Qualifying/Race/Fastest Lap respectively. Should a driver be replaced by another driver in Free Practice their performance will be considered to be the performance of the driver they replaced.

Teammate Challenge

Red Bull: Vettel - Webber | 12-9 | 7-0 | 7-0 | 4-3 |
Ferrari: Alonso - Massa | 15-6 | 5-2 | 6-1 | 5-2 |
McLaren: Button - Perez | 18-3 | 4-3 | 4-3 | 3-4 |
Lotus: Raikkonen - Grosjean | 14-7 | 7-0 | 6-1 | 4-3 |
Mercedes: Rosberg - Hamilton | 11-10 | 3-4 | 2-5 | 3-4 |
Sauber: Hulkenburg - Gutierrez | 17-4 | 7-0 | 4-3 | 3-4 |
Force India: Di Resta - Sutil | 9-12| 4-3 | 4-3 | 1-6 |
Williams: Maldonado - Bottas | 15-6 | 2-5 | 2-5 | 2-5 |
Toro Rosso: Vergne - Ricciardo | 13-8 | 3-4 | 4-3 | 5-2 |
Caterham: Pic - van der Garde | 12-9 | 4-3 | 6-1 | 5-2 |
Marussia: Bianchi - Chilton | 17-4 | 5-1 | 6-1 | 5-2 |

P.S: Moderators are free to lock the previous F1 2012 thread :)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
JB ftw :D

As these are the first practices of the new season you can;t read all that much into the times as such. I very much doubt McLaren have built a mid field car... I could be wrong but past seasons show that is highly likely not the case. I was up watching FP1 this morning, and it was looking pretty good. Not a lot of action (We had some comedy gems from Martin Brundle simply telling what he could see for 5 minutes and randomly interviewing a marshal WHILE PRACTICE WAS GOING ON). Shame Di Resta almost beached his car at the end of FP1 and lol at the mercs dying in FP2...

But we got some nice insight on what the teams were running differently compared to the last test (new wings, touches and fins etc). Also the liveries look so nice this year, Red Bull especially. I doubt I'll be up for FP3 but I'll def be watching quali live :D

EDIT: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/03/14/mclaren-lose-vodafone-title-sponsorship/ :o The end of Vodafone McLaren too!

JB ftw :D

As these are the first practices of the new season you can;t read all that much into the times as such. I very much doubt McLaren have built a mid field car... I could be wrong but past seasons show that is highly likely not the case. I was up watching FP1 this morning, and it was looking pretty good. Not a lot of action (We had some comedy gems from Martin Brundle simply telling what he could see for 5 minutes and randomly interviewing a marshal WHILE PRACTICE WAS GOING ON). Shame Di Resta almost beached his car at the end of FP1 and lol at the mercs dying in FP2...

But we got some nice insight on what the teams were running differently compared to the last test (new wings, touches and fins etc). Also the liveries look so nice this year, Red Bull especially. I doubt I'll be up for FP3 but I'll def be watching quali live :D

EDIT: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/03/14/mclaren-lose-vodafone-title-sponsorship/ :o The end of Vodafone McLaren too!
Hopefully McLaren won't end up like Williams, it's pretty sad that a team which was once the most feared competitors on the track with 9 Constructors' Titles could slip all the way to the back of the field in 2011... 2012 was a climb back to the midfield but the current timings show that they are at the tail end of the midfield in 2013, even with Maldonado. Is McLaren going to end up the same way? Of course, McLaren is McLaren, but at the same time can a team - no matter how prominent - stay at the top forever? Time will tell.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah McLaren not looking too good atm. Red Bull have the edge it seems, over the other 3 big teams. Of course, we don't really know anything until quali and the race, but it looks like Mclaren will be fighting to get into the 10, whilst the Red Bulls fight for pole. Though I wouldn't count any of the other 3 teams out. Good to see Sutil smashing di Resta, so glad he got in. Bianchi thoroughly trashed all the other backmarkers. He's got some speed.

Yeah McLaren not looking too good atm. Red Bull have the edge it seems, over the other 3 big teams. Of course, we don't really know anything until quali and the race, but it looks like Mclaren will be fighting to get into the 10, whilst the Red Bulls fight for pole. Though I wouldn't count any of the other 3 teams out. Good to see Sutil smashing di Resta, so glad he got in. Bianchi thoroughly trashed all the other backmarkers. He's got some speed.
I second that, I will be rooting for Sutil to get his first podium this season. I was pretty annoyed that he got axed at the end of 2011 despite outperforming all his previous teammates (bar Fisichella whom he could compete on equal footing, and understandably it's because of that whole nightclub incident but still), thankfully Force India quickly rectified that mistake. Bianchi is starting to look like Alonso when he made his debut for Minardi at 2001, his lap times are almost a second faster than Chilton's. Being a Ferrari protege means Marussia will be equipped with Ferrari engines before long, and with Bianchi's talent behind the wheel it won't be too long before they climb to the midfield; they are already doing better than Caterham despite losing the financial benefits to them in 2012.

Oh yes, I will be updating the teammate challenge after every F1 session to see who's delivering and who's not... right now it seems that Sutil is doing a pretty decent job, dragging Force India to the top 10 ahead of Hulkenburg's Sauber on both practice occasions whereas Di Resta fell short of doing so. If he can outperform a driver (For this scenario I will assume that Sauber and Force India are of equal performance) who overtook a Ferrari and a pair of McLarens in a Force India last year, who knows what else will Sutil have in store for us later on in the season ;)

Coronis

Impressively round
Haha lucky this isn't a racing forum, you'd have all the Hamilton fans on your back about not having him in the poll. Mercedes do have genuine pace this year, it seems.

Haha lucky this isn't a racing forum, you'd have all the Hamilton fans on your back about not having him in the poll. Mercedes do have genuine pace this year, it seems.
I would have put him on the poll had he stayed with McLaren but at the moment I just don't see him winning the WDC with Mercedes... I can see him and Rosberg challenging for podiums and grab a win or two if they're fortunate, but the WDC is a stretch. The 3 drivers I put there are the ones I feel have the largest chances of winning the WDC, Lotus may be slightly behind Red Bull but with Raikkonen's metronomic consistency it's not unfeasible for him to attain a 2nd WDC. Heck, he overcame a near-impossible 17 point deficit with a maximum of 20 points left in 2007 to snatch the WDC from Hamilton and Alonso; I bet no one saw that coming.

Coronis

Impressively round
I would have put him on the poll had he stayed with McLaren but at the moment I just don't see him winning the WDC with Mercedes... I can see him and Rosberg challenging for podiums and grab a win or two if they're fortunate, but the WDC is a stretch. The 3 drivers I put there are the ones I feel have the largest chances of winning the WDC, Lotus may be slightly behind Red Bull but with Raikkonen's metronomic consistency it's not unfeasible for him to attain a 2nd WDC. Heck, he overcame a near-impossible 17 point deficit with a maximum of 20 points left in 2007 to snatch the WDC from Hamilton and Alonso; I bet no one saw that coming.
If Mercedes can keep up with the development race this year, they certainly can win the championship. Hamilton is a very talented driver, and the Mercedes does have genuine pace. Though I am rooting for a Webber win! Its his year, and he'll start it off by winning the Australian Grand Prix :)

Free Practice 3 is over and Grosjean tops the timesheets. Red Bull will have some issues to sort out after a hydraulics problem with Vettel. Teammate Challenge data will not be very meaningful for some drivers because of the rain :/

Coronis

Impressively round
Free Practice 3 is over and Grosjean tops the timesheets. Red Bull will have some issues to sort out after a hydraulics problem with Vettel. Teammate Challenge data will not be very meaningful for some drivers because of the rain :/
Disappointing qualifying effort.

Disappointing qualifying effort.
The rain caused qualifying to be postponed :/ Charles Pic is not within the 107% margin but I think he will be allowed to race since he did set times within the 107% margin in free practice. Caterham is behind Marussia again, and Maldonado gets outqualified by his rookie teammate at the very first race; must be pretty embarrassing for him.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
You can't really call anything that happened in that Quali 1 session as fact. Bottas probably got more lucky with the Intermediate tyres than Maldanado did.

Was good to see neither of the Marussia's getting caught out with the weather, though, certainly when high profile drivers were getting things wrong (Maldanado, Hamilton, Massa etc). I couldn't believe that Massa's car only had front wing damage from the hit he took, it was a fairly decent impact.

EDIT: LOLOLOLOL Di Resta beat Sutil hahahahaha xD Also mcLaren Suck and Vettel is a big pansy.

Coronis

Impressively round
Sutil will outrace di Resta though, we know that :) Webber on the front row, plus his tyres looked nowhere near as bad as Vettel's after qualifying.

Sutil will outrace di Resta though, we know that :) Webber on the front row, plus his tyres looked nowhere near as bad as Vettel's after qualifying.
I second that, Sutil has never lost out to a teammate before (bar Fisichella) and I doubt he will start losing to Di Resta after outperforming him in 2011 :) There are still 18 other races left, and besides, it was in mixed conditions with total unpredictability, making comparisons between teammates not quite as meaningful; Sutil was faster than Di Resta in the first two practice sessions after all... how else did Maldonado got outqualified by Bottas despite being faster than him in all 3 practice sessions?

Maybe I'm just biased against Di Resta, but personally he annoys me; I mean how can someone have the audacity to complain about being 'overlooked' by Ferrari and McLaren after losing to his teammates for 2 years in succession -.- You don't see Hulkenburg complaining despite pulling off a phenomenal drive at Interlagos last year, and if he did I don't think I'll hold it against him either seeing how magnificent that was.

P.S: What is with all the hate towards Vettel -.- 99% of them are from Alonso fans, and I really can't stand them on racing forums due to their hypocrisy, irrational arguments among other things but whatever.

EDIT: The race will commence in a few hours and although I don't particularly support Webber, I will totally root for him just for this weekend since it's his home race; I hope he gets ahead of Vettel at the starting line and win the race. I mean the Albert Part circuit is in jeopardy and may not make it past 2015, if Webber wins it will please the crowd and allow Melbourne to continue hosting F1 races... it'll be a huge shame to lose a staple of an F1 calendar.

End of the Australian Grand Prix. Raikkonen wins, Alonso 2nd and Vettel 3rd. Gotta feel for Rosberg who retired with a gearbox failure and Hulkenburg who didn't even get to start the race. Webber had a horrendous start in front of his home crowd :( Maldonado ends up in the gravel track and Sutil was leading the race for 2 different stints; for a second there I thought he might pull off what Hulkenburg did at Interlagos year... unfortunately a poor tyre strategy caused him to lose 2 places to Hamilton and Webber at the last few laps all the way down to 7th, but at least he put Di Resta in his place :P Not bad at all for someone who's been out of racing for a year, and I believe Di Resta will not be too pleased about it; his main goal now is to probably outperform Sutil... 18 races left so anything can happen :) Sutil certainly did not disappoint in his comeback season.

Grosjean stayed out of trouble for this race but was pretty unspectacular, at least he managed to hold of Perez and clung on to the last point-scoring finish... speaking of which, what is going on with McLaren? Are they going to decline like Williams? Hamilton's timely move to Mercedes was pretty fortunate then... but his main intention of moving was to help a struggling team and turn it into a championship contender but as of now he would be better off accomplishing that if he stayed with McLaren.

Coronis

Impressively round
Was a great race, apart from Red Bull having a mistake in the pits for Webber (of course) and Ferrari favouring Alonso (what else is new?). Love seeing Raikkonen win, great race from Adrian Sutil, shame Hulkenberg didn't get to race.

Was a great race, apart from Red Bull having a mistake in the pits for Webber (of course) and Ferrari favouring Alonso (what else is new?). Love seeing Raikkonen win, great race from Adrian Sutil, shame Hulkenberg didn't get to race.
Next week will be Malaysia, I can hardly wait. The hype surrounding Bianchi was true after all, he left the Caterhams in the dust and was snapping at the heels of Bottas despite wielding inferior machinery... assuming he stays at Marussia I expect them to move up to the mid-field before long; he totally outclassed Chilton this week.

Anyways, I wonder why the Singapore Grand Prix is held so much later than the Malaysian Grand Prix, aren't they like next to each other on the world map? It would make more sense to put one of them right after the other since Sepang and Singapore have the exact same time zone and thus the drivers won't suffer from jet lag.

Glad I put a cheeky fiver on Raikkonen at 8-1 before the weekend now, happy boy.

Solid first race, glad that nobody looks dominant. Ferrari look better in terms of raw pace than I expected but it's shameful how Massa got screwed over when in front of Alonso, it's the first race of the year. Kimi was incredible when you compare his performance to Grosjean, but who expects anything less. ♥

McLaren won't become like Williams, they have a much bigger budget and have had horrendous starts to seasons before and just developed through it. Think we will have to wait and see how Button vs. Perez turns out for the meanwhile though. Not incredibly impressed with Mercedes either, they were quick but not like all the hype suggested.

ps. good to see Webber is still woeful

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
Glad I put a cheeky fiver on Raikkonen at 8-1 before the weekend now, happy boy.

Solid first race, glad that nobody looks dominant. Ferrari look better in terms of raw pace than I expected but it's shameful how Massa got screwed over when in front of Alonso, it's the first race of the year. Kimi was incredible when you compare his performance to Grosjean, but who expects anything less. ♥

McLaren won't become like Williams, they have a much bigger budget and have had horrendous starts to seasons before and just developed through it. Think we will have to wait and see how Button vs. Perez turns out for the meanwhile though. Not incredibly impressed with Mercedes either, they were quick but not like all the hype suggested.

ps. good to see Webber is still woeful
how cheese, put a tenner on. thoroughly enjoying my £90 now!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Tempted to write up a review for it to be honest... See you you guys like it :) I'll have to re-watch the race/highlights and make some notes but I think it'll be interesting! I've written them before and genuinely enjoyed writing them, and I think I'd like other people to read them now.

Overall was a pretty nice race from a tactics point of view, several drivers were very out of place due to the different strategies on display. Di Resta got screwed over by Button, getting trapped behind him during the middle phase of the GP and loosing all the time he would of gained from being on a 2 stop. Raikkonen played a blinder and was showing off towards the end of the GP showing he still had plenty of pace left in his tires. I am genuinely surprised at Force India's apparent pace compared to the other midfield teams to be honest!

EDIT: @Lady_Gaga: You could also add fastest laps to your little leader board? I can give you the 1-0's for Aus if you want :)

Red Bull: Vettel - Webber | 3-0 | 1-0 | 1-0 | 0-1
Ferrari: Alonso - Massa | 2-1 | 0-1 | 1-0 | 1-0
McLaren: Button - Perez | 3-0 | 1-0 | 1-0 | 0-1
Lotus: Raikkonen - Grosjean | 2-1 | 1-0 | 1-0 | 1-0
Mercedes: Rosberg - Hamilton | 2-1 | 0-1 | 0-1 | 0-1
Sauber: Hulkenburg - Gutierrez | 3-0 | 1-0 | 0-1 | 0-1
Force India: Di Resta - Sutil | 1-2 | 1-0 | 0-1 | 0-1
Williams: Maldonado - Bottas | 3-0 | 0-1 | 0-1 | 0-1
Toro Rosso: Vergne - Ricciardo | 1-2 | 1-0 | 1-0 | 1-0
Caterham: Pic - van der Garde | 2-1 | 0-1 | 1-0 | 1-0
Marussia: Bianchi - Chilton | 3-0 | 1-0 | 1-0 | 1-0

Added fastest laps to the end... :) You don't have to if you don't want too! :P Also: Just found out Bianchi had the 11th fastest lap in the Marussia... Faster than BOTH FI's, and both Williams!

Coronis

Impressively round
Yeah, the Force India's really struggled on the Super Softs, unfortunately. Gutierrez did better than I expected from the back, I reckon we'll really see Sauber's pace with Hulk in Sepang.

EDIT: @Lady_Gaga: You could also add fastest laps to your little leader board? I can give you the 1-0's for Aus if you want :)

Red Bull: Vettel - Webber | 3-0 | 1-0 | 1-0 | 0-1
Ferrari: Alonso - Massa | 2-1 | 0-1 | 1-0 | 1-0
McLaren: Button - Perez | 3-0 | 1-0 | 1-0 | 0-1
Lotus: Raikkonen - Grosjean | 2-1 | 1-0 | 1-0 | 1-0
Mercedes: Rosberg - Hamilton | 2-1 | 0-1 | 0-1 | 0-1
Sauber: Hulkenburg - Gutierrez | 3-0 | 1-0 | 0-1 | 0-1
Force India: Di Resta - Sutil | 1-2 | 1-0 | 0-1 | 0-1
Williams: Maldonado - Bottas | 3-0 | 0-1 | 0-1 | 0-1
Toro Rosso: Vergne - Ricciardo | 1-2 | 1-0 | 1-0 | 1-0
Caterham: Pic - van der Garde | 2-1 | 0-1 | 1-0 | 1-0
Marussia: Bianchi - Chilton | 3-0 | 1-0 | 1-0 | 1-0

Added fastest laps to the end... :) You don't have to if you don't want too! :P Also: Just found out Bianchi had the 11th fastest lap in the Marussia... Faster than BOTH FI's, and both Williams!
Sure sure, no problem :) Where did you get the data for their fastest lap times though?

And about Bianchi, I'm seeing an Alonso from 2001 in him, and to a smaller extent, Sutil in 2007. The hype surrounding him proved to be true.

When Sutil was leading the race for the first stint I expected Vettel to overtake him easily, but to my surprise Sutil not only held on to the lead, but was actually pulling away from Vettel despite being on older tyres o_O Pity about their lack of pace on super-soft tyres, but I suppose it's still a very solid debut for Force India.

At the end of this week we'll see more from them in Sepang... speaking of which, why is the Singapore Grand Prix held at a much later date? Wouldn't it make more sense for the Singapore Grand Prix to be held right after the Malaysian Grand Prix since they share an identical time zone, and thus the drivers won't suffer from jet lag? In addition Sepang is pretty near to Singapore; I should know since I reside in the latter.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
I got the fastest lap data from Autosport/F1Fanatic. They have some cool graphs there too with the lap times from each individual lap and also lap charts with positions etc so you can see how someone moved up/down throughout the race. Pretty interesting info :)

Sepang is one of my favourite circuits. It flows, fast but certainly very technical (Especially in the latter part of the middle sector/start of the final sector). Has a nice mix of bends and straights and lots of overtaking spots (at least 4).

And I have long been confused about the order of the calender... It's probably best not to ask what the fuck is going on with it to be honest. You could have a Austra-Asian pre season, Come back to Europe, have Flyaways at Canada/Texas, back to europe before rounding off the season with the middle east/china etc...

I got the fastest lap data from Autosport/F1Fanatic. They have some cool graphs there too with the lap times from each individual lap and also lap charts with positions etc so you can see how someone moved up/down throughout the race. Pretty interesting info :)

Sepang is one of my favourite circuits. It flows, fast but certainly very technical (Especially in the latter part of the middle sector/start of the final sector). Has a nice mix of bends and straights and lots of overtaking spots (at least 4).

And I have long been confused about the order of the calender... It's probably best not to ask what the fuck is going on with it to be honest. You could have a Austra-Asian pre season, Come back to Europe, have Flyaways at Canada/Texas, back to europe before rounding off the season with the middle east/china etc...
Oh alright :)

Here's an interesting piece of information: As of now Raikkonen has 29 consecutive classified finishes (Counting races from 2009), can he beat Heidfeld's record of 41 consecutive classified finishes? He has another 12 races to go and if he records a DNF in any of them it'll take him at least the next 3 years to have another chance to break it. This will be something to take note of.

Coronis

Impressively round
Not Heidfeld! Kimi is the first, of the current drivers, to win a race (Sepang 03). He also has 38 fastest laps, only behind Prost (41) and Schumacher (77). Vettel has his 37th pole already. Statswise he will have destroyed everyone by the end of his career.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)