college acceptances

That restricted status is nothing. I think in the past decade there was like 1 total person who didn't get into ECE. If you ask they'll let you in almost guaranteed. Also ECE = electrical and computer engineering. It's 1 major.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
got into: michigan, virginia, stanford, BUT was rejected from yale aka my dream school

.cry

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
also, pwnemon what times do you run? if you're good at track with your academic stats and talk to MIT track coaches to get them to write a letter for you, you will be guaranteed admission. but like stath said you gotta be pretty fast (prob around 4:30 1600). besides that yeah top tier schools will always be a crapshoot, good luck though

mailman come to cal. the eecs (elec. eng. + comp sci, 1 major) program is really really good, and you have so many companies nearby in norcal. plus berkeley is nice i like it here.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Got into Michigan and Notre Dame, but rejected from MIT CalTech Duke and Columbia.

Waitlisted at UChicago.

Mich and ND are cool, but it sucks visiting three reach schools and not getting in lol.

lavos spawn, i actually have a good friend who was a senior 2 years ago in the same situation as you: desperately wanted yale, didn't get it, but got stanford and a bunch of other places (idk if you wanted to go to virginia or mich if you didn't get in, if so this post is moot). he ended up going to stanford -- he's there now and has been really enjoying it so far; he has told me explicitly that it is basically as much as he wanted out of yale. idk if you guys would be sharing the same axis of interest -- he's kind of a poli-sci/law/econ type dude -- but just wanted to give you that point of information (and just in case you're wondering, because i always think to myself "ok maybe this person is retarded and just drank the kool-aid" he's very very smart, just like uuuuuuuuuuuuu)

That restricted status is nothing. I think in the past decade there was like 1 total person who didn't get into ECE. If you ask they'll let you in almost guaranteed. Also ECE = electrical and computer engineering. It's 1 major.
Did you go there?

EDIT:
@uraga: Cal is under heavy consideration, basically it's between Berkeley, CMU, and UVA. I still have some time to decide though. And if for some reason MIT pulls me off the wait list I'm going there.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
cry more u got into stanford

?????
lol was being sarcastic, i'm fine w/stanford i just have family in new haven and it woulda been cool to go there

lavos spawn, i actually have a good friend who was a senior 2 years ago in the same situation as you: desperately wanted yale, didn't get it, but got stanford and a bunch of other places (idk if you wanted to go to virginia or mich if you didn't get in, if so this post is moot). he ended up going to stanford -- he's there now and has been really enjoying it so far; he has told me explicitly that it is basically as much as he wanted out of yale. idk if you guys would be sharing the same axis of interest -- he's kind of a poli-sci/law/econ type dude -- but just wanted to give you that point of information (and just in case you're wondering, because i always think to myself "ok maybe this person is retarded and just drank the kool-aid" he's very very smart, just like uuuuuuuuuuuuu)
yea if my family and i can afford stanford i'll go there...i've been offered a half ride to michigan though so i might end up going there just because cost is such a big issue. college is way too expensive in the us. thanks for the info man

oh and uraga idk i know some kids haven't gotten theirs yet but mine already showed up in the prospective student database

Stratos

Banned deucer.
also, pwnemon what times do you run? if you're good at track with your academic stats and talk to MIT track coaches to get them to write a letter for you, you will be guaranteed admission. but like stath said you gotta be pretty fast (prob around 4:30 1600). besides that yeah top tier schools will always be a crapshoot, good luck though

would 5:20 work??

yea i'm not in it to set any records lol

oh and @lavos, hopefully you can get the money you need to go to stanford! Did you apply for any outside scholarships?

Going on my first college visit tour, gonna look a Vandy, Duke, and UNC probably. Not that interested in any of them really, but it's Spring Break and my family doesn't want to go to the northeast right during this weirdly cold spring. My current "safe" schools are UVA (double legacy status wassup) and Michigan, and I'm looking to apply to MIT, Princeton, and Yale. I got a 35 ACT without any real preparation, so I feel confident I can get a 36 in June (also does anyone know how I can get an 18/18/35 on reading? I assume the rounding system is weird but I don't understand why both subsections round up and the total doesn't). Haven't taken the SAT for real yet, I'm taking that in June too and will be able to gauge where I am in terms of competitive schools.

35 is good enough for anyone really. I would focus on subject tests if I were you and not bother with the actual SAT.

phantom

Banned deucer.
isn't stanford released tomorrow
Yeah. My friend has been biting her nails waiting. I hope she gets in...

As for me, I'm graduating and hoping to move out soon. I've been working since I was 16 so I can support myself. I Can't really afford to go to anything but JC, but I'm okay with that. If I get a 4.0(which should be easy) I get automatic entrance to UC Berkeley, so there's the financial and long term insensitive.

Blackhawk11

one on one
Lavos Spawn said:
yea if my family and i can afford stanford i'll go there...i've been offered a half ride to michigan though so i might end up going there just because cost is such a big issue.
Just posting to say that going to Michigan will not disappoint you at all, at least it hasn't disappointed me! I absolutely love UM and everything about it! Feel free to message me if you want any insider info!

Also DetroitLolcat did you decide on UM? Your CT seems to imply so... heh

oh yeah, is anyone currently waiting on williams college decisions/ does anyone know when they are coming out? my friend applied early, got deferred, is praying for a regular acceptance, but she knows that they are very very discerning and have quite a low acceptance rate, especially for my school, so is staying grounded . Jw if there were other peeps in the same boat

edit: also, just because i've been thinking about all of this, re read the thread and raised an eyebrow at all the "you should work really hard during undergrad" posts -- i'm

- not doing anything important,
- will probably go into a humanities, or as we call them in the STEMternet, McDonalds major
- don't want to go to grad school

-- why should i care about my college grades; why in my case should i treat college as anything differently than a much more relaxed opportunity for an ordinary man to live exactly as he likes and learn precisely what he wants? //spoiledbrat but by then i will probably feel like i deserve scholarly leisure

i got accepted into my local state d3 school and am likely going there for cost reasons if i can pass my last class of community college which i probably wont because i am expected to know how to program and i read cracked.com instead of listening to my boring ass instructor

at least im honest

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
ps everyone come to cal especially all you norcal nigs idk why i don't know anybody up here

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
moonbound, when are you visiting Duke? Stathakis and I go there (though we have been lazy to meet up lul). Also don't visit UNC it's lame but I might be biased :P

Sometime in the next week- I'm visiting Vandy first because it's closer, and I'm trying to align my visits with my friends. I'm mostly visiting UNC to see a couple of guys who I ran track with who are there, even though I'm nowhere near good enough to get on their track team.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Just posting to say that going to Michigan will not disappoint you at all, at least it hasn't disappointed me! I absolutely love UM and everything about it! Feel free to message me if you want any insider info!

Also DetroitLolcat did you decide on UM? Your CT seems to imply so... heh
Unless Chicago pulls me off their wait list I'm probably going to Michigan yeah :D

@Pernicious: Williams decisions came out on Wednesday. It was my top school and I was waitlisted :(

However, I got into Brown, Pomona and Tufts, so I'll have to decide between those; it'll be tough! I'm from New England and don't know a lot about Pomona, anyone have any information?

Oh god, I didn't know. I guess she didn't get in, then. :( But good luck!

edit: she was waitlisted. got into 11/12 colleges besides williams, including dartmouth, amherst, bowdoin, ucla, pomona, and berkeley. i've heard the perspective of "chill out about undergrad" from a bunch of people and as much as i still kind of have the feeling of "no, fuck it, i'm going to try really heard to get into where i think i'll be the least miserable", it's good to know in the back of my mind that i'll probably be okay in any school that's in my bubble of requirements. i mean, the irony of consoling somebody about not getting into their specific school when they got into some of the best places in the nation -- i do feel for her, but there's a somber quality to the whole thing that is vaguely funny when you think of how much opportunity we all have.

Paranoia Survivor, I personally think that both Brown and Pomona are better than Tufts -- I don't want to make a unilateral declaration, but that's what I've heard, especially for humanities majors. Pomona is also much much smaller than Brown, so you'd have to consider whether you'd rather attend a smaller school than a big one. The only thing I'd have to say about that is a small school may seem alluring at first, but it can be disconcerting not feeling like there's lots of stuff going on, and it can be hard to find people who are like you and you can understand/bond with. There are general requirements at Pomona, while Brown has a completely open curriculum, which is both daunting and freeing. When I visited Brown, I got the sense that the school had a very good academic atmosphere, and was extremely "well-rounded" -- if you don't have one very particular interest and are interested in lots of different things, I'd recommend it; I personally wanted something that was more specialized. I've heard nothing but good things about Pomona's academics. The stereotype of Brown students seems to be that they're very happy, open-minded, unpretentious, and pleased to be there just for the sake of being there. My visit confirmed that. Pomona students, I've heard, are a bit more competitive and potentially a little more stuck-up -- Brown does a lot to reduce the fiercely competitive spirit on its campus. But ask around, read reviews, etc. They're both good choices -- in fact, all of these are very good schools. Oh, also, Brown has a much nicer college town than Pomona; Claremont is supposed to be pretty terrible, so students just generally hang out on campus. (Ik this assessment seems to really be tipped in Brown's favor, but I'm actually not going to apply since I wanted something smaller and more specialized like Pomona; you can juggle all of these factors for yourself).

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
@Pernicious: Williams decisions came out on Wednesday. It was my top school and I was waitlisted :(

However, I got into Brown, Pomona and Tufts, so I'll have to decide between those; it'll be tough! I'm from New England and don't know a lot about Pomona, anyone have any information?
If you're not interested in International Relations or Economics (specifically banking) I wouldn't recommend Tufts.

Source: transferring from Tufts next semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)