college acceptances

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
maybe he did skip two grades and is a genius?????????

but lavos i thought you said you already got into all of the schools you listed?

I applied to only two schools: Michigan EA and JHU ED. I got into both, so I'll be attending JHU next fall. I'm really, really happy I avoided having to apply to 10+ schools like my friends who weren't lucky enough to get into their ED schools :/
I'm a freshman at jhu now. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions I'll answer them if I can

Lavos

Banned deucer.
hello banned user questioning my credibility, i did in fact skip two grades

and no uragg i don't think i ever said that (my bad if i did), because it would have been wrong...i have only begun to hear back from colleges very recently, so far i've been accepted to the standard state schools (bsu, u of i, etc.) plus michigan. no rejection letters yet which is cool!

btw question, in the likely event that i get into virginia and get denied by yale, where should i go if i'm interested in a political science or law-type career? i've heard that uva does that sort of thing better than michigan, but i like michigan's campus more...bleh

hello banned user questioning my credibility, i did in fact skip two grades

and no uragg i don't think i ever said that (my bad if i did), because it would have been wrong...i have only begun to hear back from colleges very recently, so far i've been accepted to the standard state schools (bsu, u of i, etc.) plus michigan. no rejection letters yet which is cool!

btw question, in the likely event that i get into virginia and get denied by yale, where should i go if i'm interested in a political science or law-type career? i've heard that uva does that sort of thing better than michigan, but i like michigan's campus more...bleh
Just because UVA does it better doesn't make Michigan bad; it's still an awesome school for pretty much anything. When you get to schools that are that highly ranked it doesn't really make that much of a difference which one you go to; just go to the one where you think you will be happier.

And I'm not just saying this because I go to Michigan; I have many friends that got into both Michigan and Michigan State and went to Michigan State even though Michigan is higher ranked for their program because they like the campus more and there are extremely happy there. If you aren't happy while you're going through college, that extra couple spots in an arbitrary ranking chart won't make up for it.

I've decided that I'm going into Illustration next year, so naturally this year has been application palooza. So far I've been accepted to Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Philadelphia University, and Delaware College of Art and Design, currently waiting on hearing back from University of the Arts.

If I'm being honest with myself, UArts is probably my first-choice, so I REALLY can't wait until I hear back from them.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Unless you're considering law/medicine or some fancy professional/grad school at one of the Ivys, I would say where you do your degree at doesn't matter as much in terms of your long term academic and professional goals (even then, those who are motivated and have the smarts and the shits will get into those school). UMich and UVA are both solid schools to do it at so I would choose which school you feel you'd get the best experience at, not just educationally but in terms of actually living on campus and being able to network effectively.

In the end, the higher up on the academic chain you go, where you get your degree won't matter so much as who you worked for, what your capabilities are and who you got to know and connect with in your years in university, especially if your're considering graduate school.

Unless you're considering law/medicine or some fancy professional/grad school at one of the Ivys, I would say where you do your degree at doesn't matter as much in terms of your long term academic and professional goals (even then, those who are motivated and have the smarts and the shits will get into those school). UMich and UVA are both solid schools to do it at so I would choose which school you feel you'd get the best experience at, not just educationally but in terms of actually living on campus and being able to network effectively.

In the end, the higher up on the academic chain you go, where you get your degree won't matter so much as who you worked for, what your capabilities are and who you got to know and connect with in your years in university, especially if your're considering graduate school.
Yeah, agreeing with this - the school you go to matters way more for graduate and postgraduate degrees than undergraduate.

For example, with a Bachelor of Science, the only thing that really matters is whether or not you can do research in your area of interest, so you have a platform to apply for PhDs etc.

just a bachelor of business for now, i'm looking to pick up international studies with a major in japan in my second year (missed the atar by like a point l0l)
Cool - assuming you plan to pick up a double major/degree, you can often take all the subjects you want anyway.

For example, at USyd the UAI cutoff for BSc (Adv) was around 96. However, you could take the advanced stream of subjects even if you didn't have that UAI. So you could do a non-advanced BSc, and take all-Advanced Chemistry etc., and then at the end of the degree, you could ask to be upgraded (or get upgraded automatically) to the Advanced degree.

For you, then, you'll probably have a bunch of business units as compulsory, and then some "free" slots that you can spend on whatever you want - if you can take the courses from the Int. Studies as your "free" subjects you may be able to get the combined program without the formalised transfer process.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Bumping this thread.

I just received an acceptance letter to UCSB. Who else applied there?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know I'm kind of late joining this thread, but I just wanted to drop in and say I work as a college admissions counselor, so if anyone has questions about the general process or things to watch out for, feel free to send me a message and I can help out.

I got in at all the schools I applied for (University of Wisconsin, University of Minnesota, Purdue, Arizona) but in the end it came down to money. I got a call from the University of Houston about getting a full ride for my National Merit Scholarship and that's what I ended up going with, and honestly it's been great. College is much more what you make of it than the name, and having financial flexibility has given me the chance to become far more active and allows me to take extra classes for fun without having to pay greater tuition.

So don't worry if you don't get into your first choice. Houston wasn't mine, but so far I've been able to make the most of my experience here (I'm a freshmen atm).

Bumping this thread.

I just received an acceptance letter to UCSB. Who else applied there?
I know an alumni from there who now works at UCLA as an assistant professor. He said it was a really fun place. Congratulations!

I've got 4 responses so far. I got accepted into Iowa, waitlisted at Washington in St. Louis, rejected by MIT, and accepted into Wesleyan. Everything else comes in April, but I'd love to know if anyone else is in or applied to Wesleyan.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't often post in this forum but I wanted to share my experiences. I was accepted into Purdue, Iowa state, Michigan tech, and university of Alabama. These were the only schools I applied to, with aerospace being a very specific major. Even though Purdue and Iowa were much better known schools in the technical field, professors and the quality of education you receive really are the same no matter where you go. All the big name schools are just that, big names. The most important aspect of choosing a college is picking somewhere you can really enjoy, as it's much better to work through all your difficult classes if it's not a chore to get up each day. Alabama wasn't my first choice when I started, but the place has such a great atmosphere about it I couldn't imagine myself going anywhere but here now.

I already knew I'd gotten turned down, but just recently received e-mails from John Hopkins, MIT, and UC San Fran officially telling me to fuck off. Only have Purdue and UC Irvine out still for graduate school decisions, but I'm not exactly hopeful. Job applications, away!

Got into the University of Chicago and Cornell so far, and I'm waiting on the others (some of which I absolutely expect to get rejected from). Undecided on a major, and I still don't know if money will become an issue, but if it does, I'll be perfectly happy with going to a state school.

Got into the University of Chicago and Cornell so far, and I'm waiting on the others (some of which I absolutely expect to get rejected from). Undecided on a major, and I still don't know if money will become an issue, but if it does, I'll be perfectly happy with going to a state school.
Both of those schools have very good financial aid programs, so you should be fine. Congratulations.

Accepted to my first and, likely unintelligent but I will admit, only choice, Rollins College, a prestigious private school about half an hour away from me in Orlando. I'm getting a nearly full ride academic scholarship - $37,000/year in scholarship money. I also have another $3000/year available to me if I choose to go in to their community service program, which has a 300 hour per year requirement. I'm in the top 10% of the incoming class so I'm invited to their honors program. Super excited ^_^ Rollins is ranked as one of the very best colleges in the south.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)