college acceptances

Recently got accepted into Texas State. It's not something to be super duper psyched about but I am because their Nursing program is young but hard as balls to get into, and going to school at TState before applying to their nursing program really helps out your chances into making it.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Not to mention "expectatives"

I hope to dear god you proofread your application essay or you are super fucked

got an atar of 90.15! which means that i should make the business course i want to do with bonus points! not bad for a year spent playing league of legends and not studying I'LL SEE YOU THERE RENOSAUR
Nice work bro, which University were you applying to?

BUMP because i'm attending university of technology, sydney! i'm signed up to credo, so i'll see you guys around maybe!

Short story time: I applied to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, UPenn, MIT, Northwestern, JHU, and Maryland for my undergrad. I got rejected from all except the last three, ended up going to Maryland for monetary reasons.

Since then, doubled down on my academics and learned a few lessons about people and networking. For grad school I applied to (nearly) all of them again and I'm 4/4 so far on acceptances (MIT/Stanford/Northwestern/Chicago). Even if you're not going to your dream undergraduate university, you can still make the best of it and succeed later on.

On Maryland - It's actually a great school, especially if you can get a scholarship to go there. The CS, engineering departments, and business departments are top-notch and place their students well.

Feel free to PM me if you want some advice on grad school or Maryland.

I got into UIowa's honor program, which is my safety option now, I guess. I haven't gotten responses from anywhere else, though April first is the day for most colleges. I get 10 decisions sometime between late March to early April, so I'm not getting any sleep for those couple weeks.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
BUMP because i'm attending university of technology, sydney! i'm signed up to credo, so i'll see you guys around maybe!

Congrats! I got accepted at Newcastle for a Bach. of Science. I'm deferring though, gotta make some money.

Short story time: I applied to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, UPenn, MIT, Northwestern, JHU, and Maryland for my undergrad. I got rejected from all except the last three, ended up going to Maryland for monetary reasons.

Since then, doubled down on my academics and learned a few lessons about people and networking. For grad school I applied to (nearly) all of them again and I'm 4/4 so far on acceptances (MIT/Stanford/Northwestern/Chicago). Even if you're not going to your dream undergraduate university, you can still make the best of it and succeed later on.

On Maryland - It's actually a great school, especially if you can get a scholarship to go there. The CS, engineering departments, and business departments are top-notch and place their students well.

Feel free to PM me if you want some advice on grad school or Maryland.
I go to Maryland =).

Phantom IV, what advice can you give on people and networking? I'm so lost in that respect.
I can offer a few pieces of general advice - some might be relevant and some not depending on your situation. Assuming you're in college, the first piece of advice is to start early. Go to your favorite professor's office hours and have a chat with them, ask for advice on a career path. Connections are key because they help you make more connections and you'll be able to act more naturally in social settings. It should also be mentioned that it's much easier to network and discuss with professors than professionals (say, recruiters from a firm or current employees), as part of a professor's role is to help students and in general they tend to be less busy and more willing to open up and speak frankly.

Second, join some professional groups, network within them, try to get leadership positions within those groups. From there, you can get exposure to companies looking to hire from the group as well as something to talk about during interviews (crucial).

Lastly, go to recruiting events and chat with the recruiters. Have a question or two about the company, show interest, leave your name and remember who you talked to (follow up with an email). Many recruiting decisions are made through personal connections rather than credentials (to be fair, there's some variance in classes and it's hard to determine what skills a person really has). Dress well for these events, speak clearly, present yourself well (online resources and campus career centers can help with these).

In general, go out of your way to be social (take risks, speak up, etc), meet NEW people outside your normal social group and major, and practice making friends and networking. It pays off twice as much as boosting your technical skills or trying to do better in classes (and this is coming from someone about to go into academia).

I go to Maryland =).
Cool! PM me and we might be able to catch up sometime.

I applied to only two schools: Michigan EA and JHU ED. I got into both, so I'll be attending JHU next fall. I'm really, really happy I avoided having to apply to 10+ schools like my friends who weren't lucky enough to get into their ED schools :/

My sister just got her acceptance letter from University of Michigan a couple of days ago. Since I go there too, my parents were pretty excited that they didn't have to drive to two different places when they wanted to visit. Anyways, University of Michigan is a great college, if anyone was contemplating whether or not to apply there.
This is may sound strange but maybe your parents should follow you there (it sounds like you are out of state)? I haven't applied to any colleges yet (junior now) but I was browsing through a couple and I know university of Michigan has a hefty in-state tuition discount. If both you and and your sister got the OOS tuition to be changed to in state you parents would save around $40,000 a year iirc.

I am saying this because that is what my parents did with my sister when she decided to go to JMU (yes that means I don't live with my parents but that is a story for another day not a strained relationship). After being domiciled the tuition went down $20,000 and currently I am in the process of being domiciled in Virginia. Because of this my parents have pretty much obligated me to go to an instate Virginia school. However, I am stoked that I have the opportunity to get to go to UVA or W&M for "only" $11,000 - $12,000 a year in tuition. Both are tough cookies to get into though.

I am saying this because that is what my parents did with my sister when she decided to go to JMU (yes that means I don't live with my parents but that is a story for another day not a strained relationship). After being domiciled the tuition went down $20,000 and currently I am in the process of being domiciled in Virginia. Because of this my parents have pretty much obligated me to go to an instate Virginia school. However, I am stoked that I have the opportunity to get to go to UVA or W&M for "only" $11,000 - $12,000 a year in tuition. Both are tough cookies to get into though.
I'm a junior looking at Virginia too, but from Kentucky. It's not my top choice, but both my parents went there and double legacy is pretty sexy on an application. It's still pricey and hard to get in for out of state, and KY has next to no good in state schools.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
got my university of meeeeeeechigan acceptance letter today! still waiting on uva and yale, pretty certain i'll get into virginia but yale is probably a long shot. if i get into yale i'm definitely going there but i'm not sure where to go if it's just michigan and virginia as my options...i like michigan's campus a lot better, but uva apparently has a much better political science program which is what i'm looking to major in.

Not a college, but whatever. I'm currently a Senior who majored in History, and I am happy to say that this August, I will begin medical school in Miami. :)

got my university of meeeeeeechigan acceptance letter today! still waiting on uva and yale, pretty certain i'll get into virginia but yale is probably a long shot. if i get into yale i'm definitely going there but i'm not sure where to go if it's just michigan and virginia as my options...i like michigan's campus a lot better, but uva apparently has a much better political science program which is what i'm looking to major in.
Date of Birth
April 10, 1997 (15)

Ummmm

I kinda doubt you skipped two grades. And colleges don't really take anyone under 16. Unless the person qualified for like some kind of genius program.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Date of Birth
April 10, 1997 (15)

Ummmm

I kinda doubt you skipped two grades. And colleges don't really take anyone under 16. Unless the person qualified for like some kind of genius program.
yes clearly lavos is basically an internet predator who has lied about his life

good catch remoraid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)