Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
/facepalm

I swear i'll kill a puppy the next time someone mentions Fairy/Light type.
From where to where do people take an absent move as indication of a new type?
First off, FAIRIES.
Second, The speculation here is becoming a bit baseless, I won't deny. It looks like people haven't stopped to think that maybe Fennekin will evolve into something more tactical and setup-based if it learns stuff like Howl.

Umm, that comment was meant to be a joke about people overanalysing Howl's presence. Although I wouldn't say that a new type is so unlikely that it calls for the deaths of puppies as punishment. Right now there's enough evidence to suggest that the types aren't staying the same at least.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
/facepalm

I swear i'll kill a puppy the next time someone mentions Fairy/Light type.
From where to where do people take an absent move as indication of a new type?
Since now that the mods here on Smogon AND Pokebeach has sufficient data as to who provided us with the source of the Fairy type,
shouldn't you be paying more attention to what they have said,
instead of relying solely on your "instincts"?
It is not a matter of an absent move, nor the colour charts.
It is merely of who said it.

Anything could be unlikely in Pokemon, and you should have known Game Freak better.
Who knew it was going to be Black 2 White 2 instead of Gray back then?
Game Freak likes to play with things that are unlikely.

Kill a puppy? Then that puppy would die for nothing.

The Genesect movie with the Eevee short featuring Sylveon is out in June or July right? I'm hoping Sylveon's mysteries will be revealed some time before then. Probably the Pokemon Smash skits will culminate with a revelation (or they'll be beaten by an issue of Coro-Coro as usual).

Keep in mind, you guys. Bulbasaur learns Leech Seed before Vine Whip and Cyndaquil learns Smokescreen before Ember. If Fennekin learns a status move before an attacking technique by levelling up, it won't be the first time that order has happened to a starter. Then again, most of the starters will have naturally levelled into two new techniques by level 11, so there's always that.

Since now that the mods here on Smogon AND Pokebeach has sufficient data as to who provided us with the source of the Fairy type,
shouldn't you be paying more attention to what they have said,
instead of relying solely on your "instincts"?
It is not a matter of an absent move, nor the colour charts.
It is merely of who said it.

Anything could be unlikely in Pokemon, and you should have known Game Freak better.
Who knew it was going to be Black 2 White 2 instead of Gray back then?
Game Freak likes to play with things that are unlikely.

Kill a puppy? Then that puppy would die for nothing.
Like anyone else here I wish for the same thing, that Fennekin will be a unique and special starter that is viable enough to be used in OU.
The sad reality, however, is that there is a bigger chance for her to be yet another pure Fire type with a horrid stat distribution and shallow move pool.
When it comes to starters GF rarely does it right.

As for new types like I said before, NOTHING can convince me it's real except an official announcement. Anything else is just wishful thinking and trolling.
If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and i will accept that. I don't use my "instincts" when it comes to this topic, only cold hard facts. It will take more than wishful thinking and some rumors to prove that Fairy type is real.

Anyway, back on topic:

I'm really curious if the 3d Models in the pokedex are interactive. Or the battle stage.
It would be awsome to rotate the camera and vew things from different angles.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
As for new types like I said before, NOTHING can convince me it's real except an official announcement. Anything else is just wishful thinking and trolling.
If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and i will accept that. I don't use my "instincts" when it comes to this topic, only cold hard facts. It will take more than wishful thinking and some rumors to prove that Fairy type is real.
But neither could anyone from the opposing side provide evidence as to proofing it as non-existing.

As I said, mods of both Smogon and Pokebeach now acknowledge who that person is, and acknowledge the source.

If you want to pull out the "official announcement" fact out,
well, it is a wise play-safe move when you don't know of any connections to insiders,
but equally the others as to wishful thinking despite people have a reliable source is not a good assumption neither. (If people have been here long enough to distinguish who is who.)

I personally am not one who wishes fairy type--
thinking that it exists does not equal to wanting it exist.
I do not see how fairy type could have benefited the Pokemon franchise.
(Though I do not hate it)

If I want to wish, I would wish for a plastic / polymer type. (Not for Sylveon though)

But back then, Pokemon Smash said that people won't be able to guess what Sylveon's type is.
So the probability of that type being a new type is very high.

But really, that new type is supposed to be called Yosei in Japanese,
whether it translates into Fairy or Pixie or faerie or whatever, is still subject to question.

Like anyone else here I wish for the same thing, that Fennekin will be a unique and special starter that is viable enough to be used in OU.
The sad reality, however, is that there is a bigger chance for her to be yet another pure Fire type with a horrid stat distribution and shallow move pool.
When it comes to starters GF rarely does it right.
Is your decision on which starter you choose really going to be solely based on it's competitive value?

Is your decision on which starter you choose really going to be solely based on it's competitive value?
No.
Otherwise I wouldn't love Torterra and Serperior. However most people go for the strongest option, especially those with competitive knowledge.
And trust me, nobody wants his favorite starter to have a bad stat spread/crappy movepool.

This thread is for discussing CONFIRMED aspects of the game. Join #orangeislands on IRC for speculation.
Well I got something to talk about then...Helioptile's stat spreads, moves and evolution.

The guy is an Electric/Normal type which inherently means he is GOING TO BE FAST and have a really nice Sp.Atk stat as well. The normal side makes him a target for Fighting types though, but he can play a VERY good check for Ghost types like Sableye and Jellicent.

Parabolic Charge is a FANTASTIC move as it seems to have range like Discharge and can heal the user by absorbing HP from the opponent. This played will with Leftovers and Substitute can give the Helipotile family enough chance to survive and defeat the Fighters.

Now for moves, besides Parabolic Charge, I can DEFINTELY see TWave being useful as well as Discharge. Heck it might even get Double-Edge and make a decent sweeper. It's gonna need some good boosting moves though...Swords Dance? Charge Beam certainly fits well here. Might even get Nasty Plot. Work Up is good for being a Mixed set so it can utilize both it's types.

Finally the evolution(s)...I'm thinking more A LOT of Speed and decent Sp.Atk. The Frilled Lizard is QUITE the quick lizard and is also intimidating. Heck it might even get Intimidate as an ability for the evolution.

Well that is all I can think of off the top of my head...what do you guys think?

I disagree, there are multiple electrics that aren't fast most notably ampharos, there are also physical electrics on the other hand there are very few special normal types so while keeping the normal dual type of heli in mind its possible parabola charge is a physical move and this one will be a strong early physical attacker like most early mons,a generator traditionally stays in place doesn't it, even if it is a lizard I don't see it being fast at most it'll be as fast as Charizard, I'm thinking slower

Parabolic Charge sounds like a very face-value tecnique, as it suggests that something about the technique, perhaps the drained energy, will arc in the shape of a parabola while traveling. On the other hand, it is a mathematical attack, so for it to be invented this generation could be seen as a hint towards X and Y being coordinate/graph-themed.

its possible parabola charge is a physical move and this one will be a strong early physical attacker like most early mons,a generator traditionally stays in place doesn't it, even if it is a lizard I don't see it being fast at most it'll be as fast as Charizard, I'm thinking slower
It is also cowardly, and most cowards I can think of (Team Rocket, Dan Hibiki, etc) tend to RUN PRETTY FAST albeit comically...and it IS a Frilled Lizard and they are pretty damn speedy.
[youtube]fKMtUOw3Uxw[/youtube]

Parabolic Charge sounds like a very face-value tecnique, as it suggests that something about the technique, perhaps the drained energy, will arc in the shape of a parabola while traveling. On the other hand, it is a mathematical attack, so for it to be invented this generation could be seen as a hint towards X and Y being coordinate/graph-themed.
Parabolic Charge will most likely be a Special Attack and hit adjacent opponents as stated by Helioptile's description.

Pokemon.com said:
The cowardly Pokémon Helioptile, a Normal- and Electric-type Pokémon, can generate enough electricity through sunbathing to power machinery. But wise Trainers won’t be deterred by Helioptile’s lack of bravery. It knows Parabolic Charge, a brand-new move where Helioptile attacks everything around it. Helioptile’s HP is restored by half the damage taken by those hit.

Good point. I personally hope it's much closer to Giga Drain(75BP) than Mega Drain(40BP) or, God forbid, Leech Life(20BP.) I hope it isn't too earlygame...

I'm betting on 75 BP. To be honest, though, I'm not sure if you can justify using it for that drop in power relative to thunderbolt...
I get the feeling it will be a variant of Mega Drain. 75 bp would be lovely, but this is a signature move that the basic level Helioptile learns, presumably around level 20. That kind of situation makes me think it'll be 40 bp, but if it's a signature move, it may not even be a variant of a current draining technique, so I think with that mindset, it may have 50-60 bp.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It might be the equivalent of Absorb, being terribly weak but having more powerful versions of it available later. What genius trolling that would be on GameFreak's part:

First hyping the entire fanbase to the max with Parabolic Charge. "Omgz its gunna be the best move evah!". Watch and giggle while the Internet creates strategies and discusses its utility.

Then laughing loudly while revealing it has a base power of 20. The Internet falls apart with curse words.

Then revealing a proper Electric Giga Drain with an identical distribution to Parabolic Charge, but a slightly different name. Manical laughter while the Pokémon fans confuse the two forever.

It's probably more like Mega Drain in terms of power, with no more powerful versions, since it hits everyone

Question, has anyone though of the possibility that Dual Type moves are moves that are of one type but act as if they are form another? (ex. Scald gets Water STAB and the rain boost yet it does damage as if it were a Fire Move except for immunities) At least that's what I thought dual type moves were referring

Helioptile can learn the new Parabolic Charge move, which heals the user for half the damage it deals to enemies
Is that why everyone thinks it hits all adjacent opponents? The way TPCi presents information, I'm not taking any of that literally, besides "there's a new electric HP-draining attack"

If Parabolic Charge hits all enemies this move can be great in doubles. If it takes half from each of the pokemon you hit and heals you from both of those, this can effectively be a healing and attacking move in one, if used in doubles or triples.

It's probably more like Mega Drain in terms of power, with no more powerful versions, since it hits everyone
Yeah, but with the current mechanics, even a 75BP move mould hit for less in doubles or triples.
Unless I'm wrong or they change that too.
Question, has anyone though of the possibility that Dual Type moves are moves that are of one type but act as if they are form another? (ex. Scald gets Water STAB and the rain boost yet it does damage as if it were a Fire Move except for immunities) At least that's what I thought dual type moves were referring
Where did you get that from?
Scald is a weaker surf with a 98,5% chance to inflict BRN status, which only happens to be commonly associated with fire.

Bulbapedia said:
Scald is the only non-Fire-type move that thaws out frozen Pokémon.
Scald is the only damage-dealing Water-type move that can be learned by a Fire-type Pokémon.
Scald is one of four moves able to cause a burn that is not Fire-type. The others being Ice Burn, Tri Attack and Fling (while holding a Flame Orb).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)