Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Serebii

Following their reveal in CoroCoro on Wednesday, The Pokémon Company has now announced the US names of the latest Pokémon. First are the two pre-evolutions of Vivillon, Kofukimushi shall be known as Scatterbug which knows String Shot. Kofuurai will be known as Spewpa, which can learn Protect. Then, Shishiko will be known as Litleo, with its signature move known as Noble Roar and Furabebe will be known as Flabébé. Players may see different Flabébé holding flowers of different colors when encountering them in the wild.
In addition to this, they have also confirmed various names. The starting town, Asame Town will be called Vaniville Town and Hakudan City shall be known as Santalune City, with the rival characters being Shauna, Tierno, Trevor, Serena (The Female Trainer), and Calem (The Male Trainer) respectively. Pansy, the journalist, shall be known as Alexa while the City Gym Leader, Viola is called Viola.
Shauna is the first trainer you meet and is eager to learn about her friends travels. Tierno intends to create a dance team with his Pokémon. Trevor's goal is to complete the Pokédex, and he's the one to give you it. He'll often compare dexes with you. Serena & Calem are your neighbours. You will also receive the Roller Skates in Santalune City

Trailer to go along with the info
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4qPSRgdI1s

I am not sure where she was officially revealed but Alexa, apparently the first gym leader's older sister, could possibly be an Alder like character. She shows you around early while coming off as the experienced trainer etc. Also her beg looks like it could be a reference to a pokemon.

NVM realized that she was revealed to be a reporter

From Serebii

Following their reveal in CoroCoro on Wednesday, The Pokémon Company has now announced the US names of the latest Pokémon. First are the two pre-evolutions of Vivillon, Kofukimushi shall be known as Scatterbug which knows String Shot. Kofuurai will be known as Spewpa, which can learn Protect. Then, Shishiko will be known as Litleo, with its signature move known as Noble Roar and Furabebe will be known as Flabébé. Players may see different Flabébé holding flowers of different colors when encountering them in the wild.

In addition to this, they have also confirmed various names. The starting town, Asame Town will be called Vaniville Town and Hakudan City shall be known as Santalune City, with the rival characters being Shauna, Tierno, Trevor, Serena (The Female Trainer), and Calem (The Male Trainer) respectively. Pansy, the journalist, shall be known as Alexa while the City Gym Leader, Viola is called Viola.

Shauna is the first trainer you meet and is eager to learn about her friends travels. Tierno intends to create a dance team with his Pokémon. Trevor's goal is to complete the Pokédex, and he's the one to give you it. He'll often compare dexes with you. Serena & Calem are your neighbours. You will also receive the Roller Skates in Santalune City

Trailer to go along with the info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4qPSRgdI1s
From the trailer, I guess everyone was right that that spider web scene was a gym leader.

4 Rivalish people? Well that's a first O.O.
Tierno reminds me of Ruby from Pokemon special. Although they have made them seem more life like, I'll give them that. Shauna sounds like Bianca and Trevor to Cheren though.

So would that make Flabébé sort of like Spinda
in that everyone's can be different?

I know ville is the french word for a town or a city, but what does vani- mean?

I liked Xavier and Yvonne, but Serena and Calem will do.

Alexa better do her job like the reporter from Space channel 5.

Did anyone else see the screen shot of the pokedex showing that zigzagoon is early in the pokedex. Could this mean no earlier cliché rodent?
But they already have the cliche bird pokemon so why wouldn't they do the same for the rodent?

I hope that zigzagoon is a hint of R/S/E remake :D

I'll bet anything the game's plot has some sort of ending where each main Trainer has to travel to a different point of the Kalos region (it's a star, so 5 points for 5 Trainers). Each person has to take on a different enemy or something, and you get shafted with either the evil team boss or the legendary. It just seems fitting.

But they already have the cliche bird pokemon so why wouldn't they do the same for the rodent?

The starting bird is quite revolutionary really acquiring fire type and all. So my actual thought is that they will have an early revolutionary mammal, possibly the lion.

R/S/E remakes do seem to be long over due. I am curious as to whether they will release XY release remakes of RS and then release XY2 or Z. So many possibilities.

Also the amount of new characters with definitive personalities looks very promising for the story.

Oh my god, Flabébé uses his flower like a wand when attacking! He's so magical and precious!
-Yveltal squeals-
I feel like the variety of the flower colors won't be as intricate as Spinda, but there may be six or seven different colors of flower based on Flabébés nature, or something. However, I do get the feeling that Vivillon's wing patterns might change with a similar system to determining Spindas spot pattern. Call that one a hunch.

Thank god the player characters names don't default to Xavier and Yvonne, as it would be hard to find a relationship between the two names. Calem and Serena is kind of obvious, but cute. Calem may come from the latin for hard/tough, so Serena's name may be intended to mean fairness. They're hard and soft, rough and smooth, calloused and serene :P

And on the point of RSE remakes, I feel like the reason that Zigzagoon is available in-game is so that, when they release the remake, there will be some Pokemon seen early on that will be familiar to kids who started with BW or XY.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I never really got the love for R/S remakes. Much of the reason for the 1st/2nd gen remakes was because you couldn't receive the Pokemon in that region anywhere else. Ruby and Sapphire are also pretty universally known to be the worst of the main series games too.
I hear posts like this all the time, it's funny that Pokemon fans will take anything as a hint for a new game.
Also the amount of new characters with definitive personalities looks very promising for the story.
I'm not sure if it's just me but I really hate the look of those 3 rival-ish characters.

I never really got the love for R/S remakes. Much of the reason for the 1st/2nd gen remakes was because you couldn't receive the Pokemon in that region anywhere else. Ruby and Sapphire are also pretty universally known to be the worst of the main series games too.

I hear posts like this all the time, it's funny that Pokemon fans will take anything as a hint for a new game.

I'm not sure if it's just me but I really hate the look of those 3 rival-ish characters.
Not to bash you, but generally, people look down on gen IV as the worst in the series. And you can't really trade over with gen III anymore, technically. Think about it, Nintendo has stopped supporting the ds lite/dsi in favor of the 3ds. So yes, the 3ds can still play D/P/P/HG/SS/B/W/B2/W2, making remakes for those games invalid. However, the 3ds can no longer play or connect with Ruby/Sapphire, and with them having a tenth anniversary, sometime in the near future would be a perfect time to announce it. However, I'm in no rush to have them, and I could wait a year or two honestly. I also find it ridiculous how people take Zigzagoon as a sign of Hoenn amongst other things.

Eh, while they certainly at this point aren't my favorite looking rivals, they have the potential to grow on me.

The old GBA cartridges' internal clocks have all died by now if nobody's replaced the clock with a new one, which means there'd be no way to migrate Pokemon from a Gen III game anymore. That means it's hard work trying to get certain forgotten species that weren't put into any gen IV or gen V games. Also, some people really like surfing and listening to trumpets ad nauseum, so it may be a bit overdue.

It could be futher argued that Marill and Gardevoir's new typing means that, after their new Fairy typing has been roughly implemented, they're looking to make them attainable in a future game. Maybe one that takes place in the region that Gardevoirs and Marill's pre-evolved form come from? Hmmmmmm?

R/S -> D/P [DS Lite]
D/P -> B/W [DS Lite + 3DS]
B/W -> X/Y [???]

I don't see a problem. If you can play the game, you can trade it (provided you aren't playing on a Gameboy). Nintendo isn't excluding anyone they haven't already left behind.

EDIT: You can trade from Gen III to Gen IV even though the internal clock has died. Source: I've done it.

I'd have to second gen IV as worst: I liked it, but the new pokemon were limited and disappointing and the world/story wasn't particularly creative or interesting :/

B/W really rejuvenated the series as far as narrative is concerned.

Do we think Wigglytuff might get any competetive use, here? It has pretty awful stats and abilities, but it could probably be used as a defensive dragon check in lower tiers and it still has those massive Wishes.

R/S -> D/P [DS Lite]
B/W -> X/Y [???]

I don't see a problem. If you can play the game, you can trade it (provided you aren't playing on a Gameboy). Nintendo isn't excluding anyone they haven't already left behind.

EDIT: You can trade from Gen III to Gen IV even though the internal clock has died. Source: I've done it.
That's well and good, but how many parties of Pokemon were you able to transfer after the clock died?

On another topic more immediately related to X and Y, I wonder how you choose a Pokemon for a Sky Battle. Does the game default to the first Flying type/levitator in your party?

The one a day goes by your D/P clock, not R/S
Your RSE clock is still a part of the process. if the DPPt game doesn't recognize that another 24 hours has passed in the RSE cartridge since the last time you used the function, it won't/shouldn't perform another migration. That's what happened to me, anyway.

R/S -> D/P [DS Lite]

B/W -> X/Y [???]

This requires you to own a ds lite, which again, Nintendo is trying to move away from in favor of the 3ds. It also requires you to own a copy of R/S/E which are becoming increasingly rare.
I'm just trying to explain why, from a marketing aspect, it'd be feasible for Gamefreak/Nintendo to make a remake.

Footnote: I don't personally mind Gen IV all thaf much, but the hate on it is alot.

Another bit of XY confirmation; Litleo's Noble Roar/Battle Cry attack lowers both attack stats on the opponent, so it's somewhere between Growl and Parting Shot in terms of usefulness?
Spewpa also learns Protect. Another powerful strategic move being shown to kids early on in the game...I could get used to this.

Is anyone else getting a Rita Skeeter vibe from Viola? She's a photographer/reporter who has an affinity for bugs...

Just tested. I transferred 6 Pokemon (I had already done so in the fast for Kyogre). Both transfers happened while the battery was dead.

If I recall, many got past the fact that they couldn't transfer old pokes back and really looked at it, and decided that it was one of the most revolutionary.

Think about it: R/S/E introduced EVs and IVs, Natures, Abilities, Hidden Power in the competitive sense, and was the start of a true story in story besides beat gyms and rocket and be champ. 3rd Gen also was the home of Double battles, and XD Gale of Darkness was the beta for the Physical/Special split in the first place. Without 3rd gen, I'm pretty sure pokemon would be pretty dull

Also, I read Ruby/Sapphire as 3rd gen, so if you excluded Emerald on purpose, I apologize in advance.

Not to completely change the subject buttt, Is anyone else wondering how Dodrio is gonna participate in sky battles? Is it just gonna float there ._.

The RSE discussion at this point is kind of moot.

Although I enjoy the simulator battles on shoddy and now showdown I have always wished I could play with competitive pokemon in game and online. Unfortunately I lack the patience of breeding or the precision for RNG. It is evident that this generation is taking an emphasis on making competitive battling even easier. BW and BW2 guide books both detailed EV's and IV's and explained EV hotspots. With the addition of fairy types GF has only cemented that they have interest in the competitive pokemon battling

My competitive Pokemon Wishlist: (Not in a particular order)
1. A physical hidden power
2. Hidden power is independent of IVs- Add a little code that states the pokemon's hidden power type.
3. Allow for a mechanism to increase IVs, PokeAmie? There was a clear emphasis on the stronger the bond the stronger the pokemon, thus this would be amazing
4. More powerful moves for all pokemon types not just Fighting and Dragon
5. Fairy type to balance and not overtake the type chart.
6. New Type combinations
7. Trolltastic stat spreads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)