Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Pangoro becoming a great asset in Trick Room teams. Hammer Arm gets boosted by STAB and Iron Fist + it reduces its speed each time
We don't even know its stats yet. Look at miltank and kangaskhan for instance both with 100 and 90 speed respectively even though they don't look fast.For all we know it might have at least 75-80 speed.

We don't even know its stats yet. Look at miltank and kangaskhan for instance both with 100 and 90 speed respectively even though they don't look fast.For all we know it might have at least 75-80 speed.
Yeah that's true... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I'm just hoping they give a little boost to those pokemon that are severely outclassed at what they do. Who knows, maybe Miltank will rise again this gen! hahaha

Everyone forgets about Stunky! Yes, it was version exclusive to Diamond.

I think it is obvious that Poison types do not play that much of a role in many Pokemon games. Is it me, or do types like Poison, Normal, and Psychic get overused by the antagonist way too much?

Dunsparce, evolve!
You too, Stantler.

They can't make the villains too much of a hassle(unless you're in the Orre region, maybe?), and if the grunts largely follow a pattern, then you learn what kind of support you need to fight them off. Normal and Poison types have probably been OU according to grunts in the past, because following both the notions and logic on this page alone, they weren't very hard to obtain.

I hope they change the 24 hour clock to an in-game clock. It was a novel idea back in GSC and when I was 10, but three gens and 13 years later, I ain't got time for a 24 hour clock. I played Skyrim for the first time last month (late, I know), and I thought it was really cool how I could play through all the different times of day several times in a single sitting. I don't get to play Pokemon all day like I used to, and so I'm usually stuck playing day or night, never really getting to see it go through the cycles. So maybe put the games on a two hour/day timescale (5 minutes = 1 hour) or something along those lines would cool. Either that or keep the 24 hour clock and give us a wait feature so we can dictate what time of day we play in without having to constantly change our DS clocks, which is obnoxiously tedious at best.

And make seasons only last a week vs three months. Again, changing the date/time on the DS is tedious and I'd just rather naturally progress through the seasons.

Besides, considering how grand our adventure is supposed to be and how big the regions are supposedly are, the timescale should be smaller. I mean, it's ridiculous to think that from the moment I first step out of my house to when I become the champion it only took 2.5 - 3 days. At least an hour or two should pass when you're traveling from one city to another.

^ I like that idea [makes me think of Viva Pinata, heh], though it could become problematic. The season thing is fine, but the fact is that there are some pretty rare Pokemon out there, and wouldn't it totally suck to be looking for a Pokemon for half an hour [very possible, especially if you battle the other wilds/catch anything else], and then you have to wait for longer instead of having the extra time. It's a complaint with the other way, as well, but that's arguably more manageable due to having a lot more time to find what you want.

But the "making sense" thing = <333
Personally I always imagine 12 hours in-game to be around a year or so [probably makes sense to be more than that tho], but having an actual amount of time passing = yesssss. On the minus side of that, though, I can imagine someone making it clock to taking 100 years, and without changing the system's time... Which makes no bloody sense, to say the least. Also would make you wonder why the heck the region doesn't change at all over time.

Maggyo and Shibibiru

Jesus Christ. This is one of my big pet peeves. Why are people still using the Japanese names for Pokémon that have had their English names revealed for years? I don't like having to look up what Pokémon you're talking about because you wanted to use the Japanese name for some reason.

Jesus Christ. This is one of my big pet peeves. Why are people still using the Japanese names for Pokémon that have had their English names revealed for years? I don't like having to look up what Pokémon you're talking about because you wanted to use the Japanese name for some reason.
Maybe the people you talk to are Japanese. Not usually, but hey.

Is that a cape or something coming off Pangoros back? It looks so stiff in the official artwork that it doesn't really make sense but I can't think of anything else its trying to be. It looks ok when people let it drape in fan art but it looks really stupid to me in the official one.

/random rant

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Well, I'm not the only one here that does this.
I thought people here liked it.
Sorry that you didn't.

I thought it was convenient that some people here use Jp names because White 2 is my first English game. All my previous games were in Japanese.
Well at least I spelled it out in the English alphabet rather than typing actual Japanese characters.

Whilst I'm not wanting to go in a debate about "but Japanese is the original" kind of thing, White 2 is my first game in English.
I don't know why the others use Japanese names though, but I guess it's probably because they think that the Japanese is the original and they wanted to pay respect or something.

After playing Fire Emblem Awakening....

I would really love it if X and Y had a Normal, Hard, Lunatic, Lunatic+ difficulty....where lunatic+ is unlocked after lunatic is completed.

I might be a little too hopeful...

But there was a lot of amazing customizability in Awakening they should draw inspiration from. I would love a Sound Test option after beating the game.

After playing Fire Emblem Awakening....

I would really love it if X and Y had a Normal, Hard, Lunatic, Lunatic+ difficulty....where lunatic+ is unlocked after lunatic is completed.

I might be a little too hopeful...

But there was a lot of amazing customizability in Awakening they should draw inspiration from. I would love a Sound Test option after beating the game.
While I would enjoy such difficulty settings for the challenge I do have to wonder: Does Gamefreak intend the player to start his game over?
I'm not sure but I'm more inclined to think that's a no.
Going on that a system like that from FE:A is somewhat difficult to implement in Pokemon.

I'm also not sure what "completing a difficulty level" in a pokemon game would mean, defeat the E4 + Champion? Defeat some even stronger post-game boss/facility?

I'd be very grateful if they'd come up with something in terms of difficulty setting though.

While I would enjoy such difficulty settings for the challenge I do have to wonder: Does Gamefreak intend the player to start his game over?
Going on that a system like that from FE:A is somewhat difficult to implement in Pokemon.

I'm also not sure what "completing a difficulty level" in a pokemon game would mean, defeat the E4 + Champion? Defeat some even stronger post-game boss/facility?

I'd be very grateful if they'd come up with something in terms of difficulty setting though.
Everything about the series says they don't intend for you to restart, yeah

Everything pushes you grabbing your Pokemon, taking them to the end, and then the post game before getting ready for player vs player tournaments and play and so on and so forth. All on your one solitary save file that you have to now input a code to properly restart.
The one game we had difficulty levels on were switch-on-the-fly style and deleted if you started over.
Things like Global Link, the battle facilities, dream world, give aways etc are all there to encourage you to keep playing

The best way I could see handling the difficulty system (assuming it returns at all) would be to start you out with Normal and then unlock easy after whiting out once or twice. Hard could either be there from the start or as a reward for good playing (eg: beating so and so many trainers; beating trainers with minimal HP lost/item use; maybe just beating gym 1)

I'd like the hard mode to be there from the start just to have the option. I play whatever hard mode rom hack comes out for every game as it is so if I could just have that from the get go that would be lovely.

*snip*

The best way I could see handling the difficulty system (assuming it returns at all) would be to start you out with Normal and then unlock easy after whiting out once or twice. Hard could either be there from the start or as a reward for good playing (eg: beating so and so many trainers; beating trainers with minimal HP lost/item use; maybe just beating gym 1)
Some sort of achievement based difficulty settings does sound cool. It kind off reminds me of how Super Robot Wars handles difficulty: You perform good by doing extra things so the difficulty goes up, if you start failing the difficulty is bumped down.
Though that approach would probably take too much control out of player's hands for their liking.

Yeah I don't think pokemon is played to restart, as there really is no end, but would still be nice to have a difficulty setting from the beginning.

Speaking of achievement related things, I hope they bring back/flesh out the medal system. While not for everyone, some people like myself really enjoy going after 100% achievement completions in games. I really really enjoyed it in BW2 (minus the streetpass ones which are basically impossible in the western world).

That's really cool so like a dynamic AI where battles evolve in difficulty as you progress depending on your performance in prior battles.
Although I highly doubt it will happen and is difficult to criteria such performance, it would be amazing to have.

I mean lets face it, after the beginning 2 gyms, the game just gets easier and easier because of level/ev etc. grinding and wider distribution of mons/abilities/tm's/items. Would love a fire emblem awakening classic/nuzlocke in-game feature....but it would NEVER happen.

They should have a way to prevent grinding if such a difficulty setting was ever made...like no experience after x amounts of battles specifically at route y.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
They could also have a "set difficulty cave" or something near the first town. Setting the difficulty to Easy would require talking to a guy sitting there. Unlocking Hard, while possible from the beginning of the game, could require something obscure to be done (i.e. feed your Pokémon a Berry while standing between two rocks, or dance the Chansey Dance in the corner), meaning you'd have to look up how to summon the "talk to me for hard mode" guy to unlock the mode. If you don't know how/where to look things up on the Net, and have no friends to tell you, you're likely not in the target group for hard mode anyway. On the other hand, anybody wishing to play Hard mode, and being good enough to do so, would know where to find out such things.

They could also have a "set difficulty cave" or something near the first town. Setting the difficulty to Easy would require talking to a guy sitting there. Unlocking Hard, while possible from the beginning of the game, could require something obscure to be done (i.e. feed your Pokémon a Berry while standing between two rocks, or dance the Chansey Dance in the corner), meaning you'd have to look up how to summon the "talk to me for hard mode" guy to unlock the mode. If you don't know how/where to look things up on the Net, and have no friends to tell you, you're likely not in the target group for hard mode anyway. On the other hand, anybody wishing to play Hard mode, and being good enough to do so, would know where to find out such things.

Or, to simplify the whole thing, just have a difficulty setting option in the options menu...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)