Mr. Mime(QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

Sorry for posting a placeholder thread, DittoCrow.
Bold-changes
Anyway,

MIMEY
[Overview]

• Mediocre base stats
  • Horrible defensive mono-Psychic typing
  • Manages to carve out a niche as an excellent teammate for Baton Pass teams while also making good use of its boosts with a nice Special Attack
  • Access to various boosting moves such as Nasty Plot and Calm Mind as well as great support movepool that includes moves like Encore
[SET]
name: Baton Passer
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Nasty Plot / Calm Mind
move 3: Encore / Substitute
move 4: Psychic
item: Leftovers
ability: Filter
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Mr. Mime's best set in the current metagame
  • Baton Pass is the first move on the set as it passes Mr. Mime's boosts to an appropriate recipient
  • Two moves can be utilized on the second slot; Nasty Plot and Calm Mind. While Nasty Plot provides more immediate power, Calm Mind allows Mr. Mime to easily set up on the various special attackers in the metagame
  • Encore is the best option in the third slot as it helps Mr. Mime lock certain Pokemon into an unfavorable move, granting it a setup opportunity. Substitute is another option that lets Mr. Mime pass Substitutes to frailer Pokemon, allowing them to get a free switch-in. If Calm Mind is run, Substitutes become harder to break as it keeps on boosting
  • Psychic provides obligatory STAB and takes advantage of the boosts
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Filter preferred to take super effective attacks such as U-turn from Uxie and Mesprit and Shadow Sneak from the likes of Spiritomb and Gallade a lot better
  • EVs give Mr. Mime maximum Speed while also giving it enough bulk to tank hits
  • Alternate EV spread of 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe gives it enough power to capitalize on a Nasty Plot boost and possibly sweep
  • Taunt can be used to prevent phazing from Roar and Whirlwind, as well as preventing walls from using it as hazard bait
  • Because of it being a Psychic-type, Dark-types mess it up as Psychic doesn't do anything and they force it to Baton Pass out to escape STAB Pursuit
  • Hence, Pokemon that can take out Dark-type Pokemon, such as Escavalier and Emboar, make for good partners, the latter being able to take out the aforementioned Escavalier , which gives Mr. Mime trouble, as well
  • Pokemon that take advantages of boosts such as Sceptile, Manectric and Accelgor make for good partners

[Other Options]
  • Soundproof can be run for full Baton Pass teams, but Perish Song is rare anyway and full Baton Pass teams face many shortcomings such as lack of a good Pokemon with Magic Bounce as well as lack of good recipients
  • Focus Blast can hit Steel-types as well as Dark-types for good damage
  • Thunderbolt lets it hit Mandibuzz and Slowking, both of which can easily take all of Mr. Mime's other attacks and phaze it out
  • Shadow Ball hits Psychic-types and Ghost-types, such as Slowking, Gallade, Medicham and Rotom for super effective damage
  • Pure Nasty Plot sweeper outclassed by Jynx
  • Healing Wish is an interesting option, but Mr. Mime is better off passing boosts with Baton Pass
[Checks and Counters]
  • Dark-types like Absol and Spiritomb wreck it, with the latter being able to severely damage Mr. Mime with STAB Shadow Sneak before it can Baton Pass out to a teammate
  • Drapion is faster, can Taunt it, hit it with Crunch, trap it with Pursuit and phaze it with Whirlwind, making it an excellent counter
  • Other priority users such as Entei can decimate it with Extremespeed
  • Mandibuzz doesn't care about wtf it does and phazes it out
  • Bug-types such as Escavalier and Durant can OHKO it with the former being able to Pursuit trap it while both resist Psychic-type moves due to their dual Steel-typing
  • Pokemon like Cincinno can break its Substitutes with Tail Slap and deal heavy damage while physically based Pokemon, such as Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf Emboar, can easily OHKO it, though the latter hates taking a STAB Psychic

[Overview]

<p>Mr. Mime's niche in RU, apart from holding the position as the most creepy Pokemon available, is its fantastic combination of tools to make it one of the better Baton Pass users in the tier. While Mr. Mime faces competition with Volbeat in the Special Attack boosts-passing department, it holds a lot of advantages over Volbeat, including a much higher Special Attack stat to make use of the Special Attack boosts, higher base Speed, much more special bulk, a better typing, and rare abilities in Filter and Soundproof. Mr. Mime fits very well on both full Baton Pass teams and standard teams, where on the latter Mr. Mime fulfills the roles of a short passer, supporter, and backup sweeper. Always beware the threat of Encore when Mr. Mime switches in, and always remember that Mr. Mime might end up being the least of your worries; a +2 Moltres is probably the most terrifying thing to ever grace the battlefields of RU.</p>

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 3: Encore / Substitute
move 4: Psychic
ability: Filter
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is the only set Mr. Mime should be running in the current metagame, and for good reason. While it has a wide boosting movepool along with Substitute, Baton Pass, and a great ability, Mr. Mime cannot utilize these well on any other set without being outclassed. Along with Baton Passing these boosts, Mr. Mime can also utilize them itself to possibly sweep. Baton Pass is the most important move on this set as it passes boosts to a teammate, along with allowing it to escape Pursuit from the likes of Spiritomb and Absol. In the second slot, one of two boosting moves in Nasty Plot and Calm Mind can be run. Nasty Plot is usually the preferred option as it allows Mr. Mime to get an instant +2 boost to its Special Attack, which it can Baton Pass off to a teammate. Calm Mind is a good alternative as it boosts Mr. Mime's Special Defense alongside its Special Attack, allowing it to set up on the various special attackers in the metagame. Nasty Plot is usually better on normal teams, where the instant +2 boost lets special attackers wreak havoc, whereas Calm Mind is better on more dedicated Baton Pass teams. In the third slot, Encore can be run to lock Pokemon into an unfavorable move, granting Mr. Mime setup opportunities. Substitute allows Mr. Mime to Baton Pass to offensive Pokemon without the fear of them being KOed, essentially granting it a free switch-in. It also works well in conjunction with Calm Mind, as Mr. Mime's Substitutes become harder to break as it boosts its Special Defense.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Filter is the preferred ability as it allows Mr. Mime to take various super effective attacks such as U-turn from Uxie and Mesprit and Shadow Sneak from Spiritomb and Gallade. While the given EV spread doesn't allow Mr. Mime to survive specific hits, it maximizes its bulk and Speed, and putting EVs anywhere else are not beneficial to its role. An alternate EV spread of 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe gives it enough power to capitalize on a Nasty Plot boost and possibly sweep the opponent's team. Taunt is a usable option to prevent phazing from Roar and Whirlwind, as well as preventing walls from setting up entry hazards. Soundproof can be used as the ability if Mr. Mime is being used in a full Baton Pass team, but Perish Song and Roar are rare, making Filter the superior option in most cases. Thunderbolt is a coverage option that lets Mr. Mime hit Mandibuzz and Slowking, both of which can easily take all of Mr. Mime's other attacks and phaze it out. Life Orb can be used to power up Mr. Mime's moves, but it severely reduces Mr. Mime's durability, making Leftovers the superior option.</p>

<p>Dark-types give Mr. Mime trouble as Psychic cannot affect them and they force it to Baton Pass out so that it escapes a STAB Pursuit. Hence, Pokemon that can deal with them, such as Escavalier and Emboar, make for good partners&mdash;the latter is also able to take out the aforementioned Escavalier, which is also troublesome for Mr. Mime to deal with. Including generally offensive Pokemon with Baton Pass on your team can really keep up momentum. They don't even have to be able to make use of the boosts Mr. Mime passes, just keeping offensive pressure on your opponent can keep you in a winning condition. Good Pokemon for this role include Accelgor, Durant, Absol, and Scolipede. Finally, Pokemon that take can advantage of the Special Attack boosts, such as Moltres and Magneton, make for good partners, as the former two can switch into Bug-type Pokemon well&mdash;Magneton being to trap Escavalier as well&mdash;while appreciating the stat boosts.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Focus Blast is a coverage option that hits Steel-types as well as Dark-types for super effective damage, but Mr. Mime usually needs its other moves and cannot spare a moveslot for it. Shadow Ball can be used to hit Psychic- and Ghost-types, such as Slowking, Gallade, Medicham, and Rotom, for super effective damage, but as said earlier, Mr. Mime cannot spare a moveslot for it. Mr. Mime can choose to use an all-out attacker set with Nasty Plot, but this is outclassed by Jynx, who sports both higher Special Attack and a secondary Ice STAB. Healing Wish is an interesting option, but Mr. Mime is better off passing boosts with Baton Pass.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dark-types like Absol and Spiritomb are great counters to Mr. Mime, with the latter being able to severely damage Mr. Mime with STAB Shadow Sneak before it can even use Baton Pass. Drapion makes for an excellent counter as it is faster, can Taunt Mr. Mime, hit it with Crunch, trap it with Pursuit, and can even phaze Mr. Mime with Whirlwind if it decides to Baton Pass out to a teammate. Pokemon that can get rid of Mr. Mime's boosts and do not take much damage from Psychic, such as Haze Cryogonal and Roar Steelix, are great counters as well. Priority users in general, such as Entei, Gallade, and Spiritomb, can strike its weaker Defense stat before it can Baton Pass. Mandibuzz is also a good counter, as it can tank any hit and phaze Mr. Mime out. Bug-types such as Escavalier and Durant can OHKO it even through Filter, with the former also being able to Pursuit trap it, while both resist Psychic-type moves due to their dual Steel typing. Crawdaunt is immune to Psychic and can set up a Substitute if Mr. Mime decides to Baton Pass to scout the switch-in. Pokemon like Cinccino, Klinklang, and Crustle can break Mr. Mime's Substitutes with multi-hit moves such as Tail Slap, Gear Grind, and Rock Blast, respectively, and deal heavy damage, with Crustle being able to severely damage it with STAB X-Scissor as well. Finally, other physically-based Pokemon, such as Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf Emboar, can easily OHKO Mr. Mime, but the latter cannot come in on a Psychic.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The third slot should just be Encore / Substitute; Taunt and Barrier have niche use on full BP teams, but they're rare and really not that good tbh.

The ability should be Filter, Soundproof is again only for full BP teams

AC should have a mention of an offensive 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe spread, which allows Mime to capitalize on the NP boost and actually sweep itself if the opportunity arises.

Dark-types aren't a problem, Pursuit doesn't hit through Baton Pass. They're only a problem in the sense that they force Mime to pass since it can't nail them with Psychic.

I'll add more later but get that stuff fixed up please.

Yooooooooo, I'm procrastinating writing Ninjask just a little bit more atm, and I kinda like mimes, so here I am n_n

Maybe it's just an aesthetic thing / my various disorders acting up, but I found that whole big, bold change mentions kinda super distracting, maybe you could move the details on the changes you feel the need to explain to the top of analysis (above the overview and such) so that QC and other people that feel the need to comment can just see your thought process behind them from the get-go? sorry, just a general comment there, but I felt it necessary to say :x

Anywho, perhaps it's just me, but I really think this analysis needs to more firmly establish exactly what Mr.Mime is doing. For instance, if it's going to be utilized in full BP teams, it should be using SoundProof, since thats a huge reason to use Mr.Mime over alternative BP users. Moreover, full BP would be prioritizing Sub > Encore (to avoid Clear Smog / contact-based phazing like DTail and Circle Throw) and CM > NP, and both Barrier and Taunt should be getting much more consideration, as they offer much more use on full BP than Encore and so forth.

That being said, there are two methods of approaching this: either commit to making this an analysis that establishes Mr.Mime as an important member of dedicated BP teams for it's ability to block Roar / PSong+pass moderately significant boosts, or address Mr.Mime as a decent offensive 'mon with the utility to pass boosts to a teammate and bait / avoid Pursuit users via BP. Personally, I feel as though the latter is a more feasible option, as in my experiences I have found full BP to be a pretty mediocre strat in RU. If we're gonna be taking that route, I'd like to throw out a couple suggestions n_n

First of all, I'd re-consider Soundproof as an ability, perhaps even making it a primary slash. I hate to contradict Oglemi like this, but I think that Soundproof offers a decent option that other Psychic-types wouldn't at all mind; being able to prevent Steelix from Roaring you away isn't at all bad (since it can either force damage on it or more effectively get off the boost to a partner), and an immunity to Bug Buzz is definitely relevant enough to consider for use. Filter is definitely relevant, and being able to protect Mr.Mime from being picked off by 'Tombs Shadow Sneak is definitely pertinent, though it's much more niche than you'd think (Sucker Punches are still destroying it, Pursuit is a non-issue because BP, etc.). Next, it'd be prolly do the set good to make it more offensive to reflect it's role imo :P This would mean moving Psychic (/Psyshock?) up to the third slot, and making the final slot a coverage move rather than a support option. I've found that Signal Beam and TBolt to be the most effectual moves for this purpose, though Focus Blast and HP Fire are both worth considering for the slash or AC imo. In terms of EV spread, I liked to run 88 HP / 12 Def / 156 SpA / 252 Spe (which guaranteed attacks like Steelix's Gyro Ball, LO Galvantula's Thunder, and CBTomb's Shadow Sneak didn't KO after SR, with Filter in the case of 'Tomb), though I'd imagine a straightforward 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe is satisfactory for on-site as well. Personally I feel with niche 'mons such as Mime, it needs to really firmly establish it's niche, in which case complex EVs spreads that solidify that niche can be useful, though it's all up to QC in the end. Thereon in, the max HP spread and support options could go into AC, which would probably be a good time to mention its use in a full BP team. Maybe worth a Colbur berry mention there as well, since with Filter it can eat a Sucker Punch and do some nice damage with Signal Beam or something along those lines. Partners need work too imo; Fighting-types, while they handle Dark-types moderately well, don't benefit at all from Mime's primary passing options. Something like Magneton does well w/SpA boosts, can trap Steel-type switch-ins, and apply pressure to Absol / 'Tomb decently, Agility Moltres is pretty ridiculous with it if you can afford it, etc.

Basically, if we're headed in this direction, the set would probably look like this:
[SET]
name: Offensive Baton Pass
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Signal Beam / Thunderbolt
ability: Soundproof / Filter
evs: 88 HP / 12 Def / 156 SpA / 252 Spe (or 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe, again, idk '~')

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Filter is more important for tanking U-turns from like Uxie, Mesprit, etc., and Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse from like Tomb and Rotom, on top of Shadow Sneak from Tomb and Gallade and Sucker Punch (the latter particularly from Leftovers Drudd). Soundproof is OK, definitely worth an AC mention, but Steelix is about the only Roar user that's popular right now (Drapion, Mandi, and Hariyama Whirlwind), and blocking Bug Buzz from Accelgor and Galvantula is cool but Filter helps you tank them anyway.

Alright time for me to look at this

[Overview]
  • The way this is worded implies that Mr. Mime is only useful on full Baton Pass. It has its uses otherwise, mainly to use Baton Pass while still being able to at least use the boosts that it is passing if the need arises.
  • On a similar note the overview shouldn't include stuff that is not involved in the set itself (Barrier and Taunt)
[Set Comments]
  • I'm not sure why you are talking about Soundproof and Baton Pass chains when the set has Filter... Nothing uses Perish Song that I can think of.
  • Taunt is used by literally one good Pokemon in RU (Qwilfish, who obviously loses to you). Psychic is more useful in order to take advantage of the special attack boosts it is accumulating.
  • Substitutes can also become harder and harder to break if you are using CM on Mr. Mime.
[Additional Comments]
  • Put the Filter stuff down here.
  • Add Taunt here, as it can work decently against walls, especially if you are using Calm Mind. It also makes sure you don't get statused by some random attack. It also means Walls can't just hazard it up and make your life not fun.
  • Hitmomlee and Gallade are bad examples to take down Dark-types as both are completely walled by Spiritomb. Emboar and Escavalier are better at killing Dark-types because they kill Spiritomb and other Dark-types too. Emboar also wrecks Escavalier.
  • There are much better examples than Omastar, as that guy is slow and already gets Shell Smash. Many of the fast special attackers that cannot set up on their own really like Mr. Mime support as they are tougher to revenge kill, and it gets even better when they get an easy switch in. Examples include Manectric, Sceptile, and Accelgor.
[Other Options]
  • Add that Thunderbolt also hits Slowking
  • Add that Focus Blast also hits Dark types.
  • Signal Beam is a cool compromise between Focus Blast and Shadow Ball
  • Magical Leaf, Icy Wind, Charge Beam, and 60 BP Hidden Powers are kinda unneeded, as is Technician in general. Mr. Mime has a fairly generous movepool and these moves don't really add much coverage, not even enough for OO imo.
[Checks and Counters]
  • I know I really shouldn't be promoting Drapion in an analysis, but Drapion absolutely trashes Mr. Mime. It's faster, it can set up on it, can Taunt it, can Pursuit it, Mr. Mime cannot damage it, and OHKOs it. To rub it in it can just Whirlwind it Mr. Mime Baton Passes out of Drapion before it does anything. Even though its not a very good Pokemon, I would add it to checks and counters if only because it just beats it that badly, and if someone has a problem against Mr. Mimes then Drapion is what they need.
  • Escavalier deserves a special mention. It can Pursuit, Megahorn to just wreck it (even through Filter), and it resists Psychic.
  • Pretty much any strong physical attacker that is faster than it gets a OHKO because Mr. Mime is just so frail. This includes: Cinccino (breaks subs as well), Durant (I am fairly certain Filter doesn't let it escape a OHKO), Aerodactyl, and random Scarfed mons like Emboar.
As a side note, I am fine with there only being one set (the current one). Here is the thing - full Baton Pass is not really that good in RU and you wouldn't really have time to mess with coverage moves since you wont have as many boosts. You miss out on some important stuff like a good Magic Bounce user and a good recipient (at least in my opinion baton pass chains lack a final recipient), and there aren't really even enough Pokemon to make a full chain, unlike OU. Also, since Mr. Mime is more of an offensive support sort of Pokemon, Encore and Substitute are too good to pass up on. It's not really going to utilize coverage moves very much, as its probably not using Psychic too much admittedly. This may be just me though, as I will admit I haven't used Mr. Mime all that much.

[Overview]
  • Don't mention is generous movepool as it isn't using any of it. It's mainly its pretty good offensive stats.
[Checks and Counters]
  • Drapion uses Crunch, not Night Slash
Add this and you can consider this QC Approved 1/3 Kingler12345

Looks very good analysis, add Salac Berry in OO if runs Substitute which can help against faster stuff like Durant.

Magneton is a cool temmate too, add it.

[Overview]
  • "At a first glance, Mr. Mime seems like yet another competitively useless Pokemon." - Yeah it pretty much is. Baton Pass teams are almost nonexistent and are pretty bad. The first paragraph oversells Mr. Mime a bit too much. You can just state that its only niche is on BP teams, but it's not "excellent at its role." It's not even on the viability ranking thread lol.
[SET]
  • Change the set name to "Baton Pass"
  • Instead of saying that "This is Mr. Mime's best set in the current metagame," you should say that it's the only set Mr. Mime should be running. Otherwise this looks pretty good.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Don't say stuff as general as "giving it enough bulk to tank hits." If you're going to use a sentence like that, it should be specific, as otherwise it seems like the EVs are just there because we don't know where to put them. If that's the case, you can say that EVs any where else will not be beneficial to Mr. Mime and its role.
  • Definitely elaborate a bit on teammates. What are some special attackers or other mons in the Baton Pass chains (since it is stated that Mr. Mime is goon on Baton Pass teams) that really benefit from Calm Mind / Nasty Plot boosts. None of the mons you used for examples can come in on Mr. Mime's switch-ins safely. Things like Moltres, Magneton, and Slowking are better recipients. Also explain why they are good recipients.
[Checks and Counters]
  • State some other faster physical attackers that can take advantage of Mr. Mime's low Defense and explain that they prevent it from setting up anything more than a Substitute. Aerodactyl is pretty bad so use a different example(s).
  • Haze Cryogonal is a great counter
  • Klinklang
  • Crustle
  • Roar Steelix
  • Crawdaunt

Also start every paragraph with <p> and end it with </p>. You missed a few at the end.

DittoCrow

Aerodactyl is better than Crawdaunt and Klinklang at the very least (in a general sense) and its not really a bad Pokemon, and it still probably OHKOs with Stone Edge - Aerodactyl is just as viable if not more viable than them (hence its Mid B ranking). I also don't really see how Slowking would make a good recipient when it shares the Dark, Ghost, and Bug weakness Mr. Mime has (and its physical defense is a bit squishy sometimes, an issue considering Mr. Mime is targeted by these) and is easy-ish to revenge kill, so I wouldn't say it can switch in on most Mr. Mime switch ins. Admittedly every example I suggested gets OHKOed by Escavalier and Durant so that is my fault, sorry :/

I agree with everything else but I want to point that out. (Of course feel free to prove me wrong ^^)

Swamp-Rocket

Slowking can come in on those physical attackers like Emboar, Entei, and Gallade and can wreck with a TR set with those boosts.
Difference between Aero and Crawdaunt/Klinklang is that Crawdaunt is immune to Psychic and can use Sub to scout the BP recipient and also gets good coverage on the common recipients; Klinklang is meh but it does break Mr. Mime's Substitutes and hinders its setup capabilities. Tbh I really hate Aerodactyl because it's so easy to wall or revenge kill and Stone Edge's accuracy sucks, so it's a pretty unreliable check. I feel the same about Archeops for the record lol. Bottom line is that Checks and Counters needs to be somewhat longer since Mr. Mime is quite easy to beat.

I personally use sub over psychic for full passing, so I am not sure of psychic's viability over substitute. Sub is vital in dedicated baton passing teams because a crit is all it takes to ruin a sweep. Otherwise, it is pretty solid.

I personally use sub over psychic for full passing, so I am not sure of psychic's viability over substitute. Sub is vital in dedicated baton passing teams because a crit is all it takes to ruin a sweep. Otherwise, it is pretty solid.
Did you actually read the analysis? Full BP sucks in RU(or in any tier for that matter). Psychic is important to actually utilize the boosts. Substitute isn't even slashed with Psychic. And it won't be.

Did you actually read the analysis? Full BP sucks in RU(or in any tier for that matter). Psychic is important to actually utilize the boosts. Substitute isn't even slashed with Psychic. And it won't be.
Yes I did read ur analysis, and Full BP does not suck in any tier for that matter. How hard is mr.mime actually going to be hitting with those boosts? As you said, Mr.mime is a competitively useless pokemon, so why is its top priority not getting those boosts to something else?

Yes I did read ur analysis, and Full BP does not suck in any tier for that matter. How hard is mr.mime actually going to be hitting with those boosts? As you said, Mr.mime is a competitively useless pokemon, so why is its top priority not getting those boosts to something else?
This analysis isn't suited for Full Baton Pass at all. Soundproof is in OO, and its using Psychic because otherwise you should probably use Volbeat to pass. Mr. Mime can actually utilize those boosts because its special attack isn't bad. And yes, full Baton Pass isn't very good in RU.

But on that note don't say it's competitively useless, that's a bit too harsh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)