BW UU Lol1z VoltTurn team (peaked #1 on 5 accounts)

Wassup guys, lol1z here. I play a ton of uu so many of you may have played me on that account, or possibly on one of my douchy alts such as: “I win at uu”, “I'm good u suck”, “Damn you suck”, or possibly “I'm good ur not.” With that being said, I have played thousands of games with this team and peaked at least top 5 on the ladder with all of the names listed above (#1 with most). As I type this I am currently #1 on the UUcurrent ladder on my account "lol1z test"

This team is very annoying to use since one wrong move will often cost you the game, so I suggest you read the guide thoroughly...

At a glance...

In understanding the mechanics of the team, you first need to realize that the team doesn't revolve around any pokemon specifically. Every pokemon has a distinct job, and to use the team successfully you need to know which pokemon can be sacked in what scenario, and what pokemon you desperately need to counter an opponent's team.

Starting off with one of the most underrated pokemon in the tier, Lanturn.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Heal Bell
- Toxic​

It has fantastic synergy with Gligar, great hp, good special defense and an ability that is essential to the team not getting swept by cm Raikou. This is your special wall, so keep it healthy. Although it has no recovery, it's bulky enough to tank hits from things as strong as specs Chandelure. Generally you want to bring Lanturn in on things such as specially offensive Empoleon (if you don't know the set always go Xatu to prevent rocks), Raikou, Blastoise, Rotom-H, Slowbro, Tornadus, Yanmega and Zapdos. Furthermore, heal bell is an awesome move that makes it so toxic stallers are worthless against you, and so that you can get rid of that scald burn on Xatu or even Mienshao if need be. One last nice thing about having leftovers on it is that you get that extra HP every time you switch it in for free. An example of what I mean could go like this: you have Mienshao in on an opponent's Umbreon. Your opponent switches out into Slowbro and you predict this and U-turn into Lanturn, gaining leftovers recovery and not having to take a hit. I have played stall teams that attacked my Lanturn down to 10% HP, and by the end of the game I had it back to 60% health due to plays like the one stated above.

You may be wondering why Lanturn has a -speed nature. This is to deal with Porygon2, which is a big threat to the team. In looking at all of my pokemon, nothing on the team can take offensive tri-attacks EXCEPT for Lanturn. If I Volt Switch on the P2 (the offensive variant of course, if it’s download just toxic stall it) and he stays in he gets to do big damage on something on my team. With the minus speed nature, Lanturn tanks the tri-attack and THEN Volt Switches into Mienshao who gets to HJK. Finally, Toxic is a pivotal move on Lanturn since it is your best shot at taking down walls like Milotic and Porygon 2

Next up, the troll of the team, Xatu.

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Night Shade
- Grass Knot
- Roost​

This Xatu set has a couple nice bonuses such as the extra rocky helmet damage it does to physical pokemon, the inability to be hit by status moves and few more nifty things, but the real reason Xatu is here over any other physically defensive pokemon in the tier is that IT PREVENTS STEALTH ROCKS. Once your opponent gets rocks up you basically lose, especially if they have a Raikou. For this reason, Xatu gets Grass Knot to check Rhyperior. With physical defense you can usually tank a rock blast and proceed to do big damage (if Rhyperior is physically defensive GK OHKO’s). Grass knot is also great against Swampert, but that is not nearly as big of a threat as Rhyperior is.

I ultimately think the team works so well because it gives a lot of playing time to heavy hitting glass cannons such as Mienshao and Darmanitan that are normally seen as revenge killers on other teams. With all the U-turning going on you will constantly have these two pokemon on the field, which is a luxury non-VoltTurn teams don't have. If your opponent gets rocks up, however, you can't constantly pressure them by bringing darmy in all the time.

Xatu is essentially as good as you play it. It has all around mediocre stats, but that magic bounce ability can save you over, and over, and over. I often like to troll my opponents by doing things like this in certain scenarios: Registeel is brought in on my Lanturn and I voltswitch to Gligar. My opponent thinks "oh okay, we'll trade rocks and since he has no spinner this works in my favor." I U-turn to Xatu, bounce his rocks back and then proceed to night shade. In this situation the person I'm facing is helpless. They can either predict my switch and seismic toss taking rocky helmet damage, or maybe switch out into something that checks Gligar, but alas I get switch advantage. If you are able to keep the momentum in your favor the whole match you will nearly almost always win.

A few extra things that Xatu checks include Azumarill and Sableye.

Finally, you may be wondering why the hell Xatu has –speed nature. This is because you ALWAYS want to be slower than Gligar. Some idiots you find on PS may tell you that you always want your U-turners and voltswitchers to be fast, but half the time you want to out-slow other Pokemon. In the case of bringing in your Xatu on Gligar, you essentially want Gligar to U-turn and take rocky helmet damage before switching into whatever it is you get to U-turn on. If you out-speed Gligar you (a) lose switch advantage since your opponent U-turns on your switch, and (b) risk Gligar setting up rocks. I hope that made sense….

Next up, Mienshao.

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn​

Goddamn is Mienshao good, and like I stated earlier due to being on a Voltturn team I get to bring it in practically whenever I want. Yes, that means no more hard-switching into Snrolax and being parahaxed by body slam. Mienshao’s great coverage makes it a huge threat. Pokes in the uu tier that Mienshao threatens include: Abomasnow, Bisharp, Empoleon, Honchkrow, Houndoom, Kingdra, Porygon2, Registeel, Scrafty, Snorlax, Togekiss, Umbreon, Xatu and Zapdos. Furthermore, Mienshao threatens more Pokemon based on their item/evspread such as: flashfire Arcanine, specs Chandelure, banded Darmanitan, banded Flygon, specs Porygon Z, offensive Rhyperior, offensive roserade (fakeout + stone edge kills), and non-scarfed Rotom-H. Yes, I did just name about half the tier.

Moving onto Mienshao’s moves, I think all are pretty obvious except for Fakeout. HJK is damn strong and OHkO’s a ton of threats to the team such as Snorlax and Empoleon, Stone Edge checks flying types and specs Chandy which causes big problems, and U-turn, well duh it’s a voltTurn team. Many people suggest HP ice instead of Fakeout. I won’t knock HP ice at all since it is a completely viable move on Mienshao, but in the context of my team Fakeout works better. Generally when people try to criticize the team I just tell them to shut up and look at my #1 rank, but since this is indeed a guide I will explain my logic behind using this so called “noob” move. In understanding why Fakeout works, you first need to realize that good players do not spam fake out every time they bring Mienshao in. In fact, I almost always elect to go for U-turn over Fakeout. The reason Fakeout is generally useful is that it gets me out of tight situations that HP ice can’t handle. For example, let’s say rain dance Kingdra lands a crit on Lanturn and I have no check to it, I will usually bring in Mienshao, Fakeout and then switch out to stall rain turns. Perhaps a Moxie Honchkrow chilling at 35 HP has killed Gligar and is prepared to sweep the team at +1. Mienshao comes in and saves the day (Fakeout is a guaranteed OHKO when Honchkrow is that low). Finally, let’s say your opponent has a banded Snorlax on the field. This is their last pokemon and you have say, Mienshao and a Lanturn chilling at 3 HP you saved for death fodder. Now, some people may bring in Mienshao immediately and HJK FTW. I however, HATE using HJK because of the miss possibility, and ALWAYS play it safe when I can. In this case the play would be to bring in Mienshao, Fakeout then U-turn to Lanturn for the sack. Bring Mienshao back in, repeat and then Fakeout/Uturn your way to victory. Now if I had immediately HJK’d with Mienshao and missed, the Snorlax would kill Mienshao and go on to sweep my team. If I HJK immediately I have a 90% chance of winning, but if I go down the U-turn/Fakeout route I have a 100% chance of winning… see the difference?

To sum up, HP ice would no doubt be useful on Mienshao, but Fakeout is necessary.

Alright, moving on to Darmy, the pokemon I sweep most with.

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn​

Darmanitan hits like a truck, and just like I previously stated for Mienshao, you get to use it more than you would on a standard team due to free switch-ins. I could talk about the moves, but if you have read this far in the guide I’m assuming you’re a competent player so I’ll talk more about strategy and what NOT to due with mr. 140 attack. Never use Flare Blitz if your oponnent has a Chandelure or Kingdra that could be DD (the specs set is annoying, but cannot sweep my team like a dd set can). Even if your opponent doesn’t predict correctly and lets you kill something with Flare Blitz, allowing them to bring in Chandelure for free almost NEVER ends well, so don’t do it. Kingdra like I just stated is a problem as well, so never let it come in for free either.

With that being said, although you have to play carefully with Darmanitan, you often just get to sit back and repeatedly hit Flare Blitz to win. Generally your game-plan should be stupid simple: target whatever you opponent has to check Darmy, and then bring Darmy in to sweep. You’d be surprised how many good players use strategies as basic as this, but it works and I sure use it sometimes.

The last thing I want to note about Darmanitan is that it is what I usually use to take down opponent’s Gligar. Yes, I realize Gligar is considered a check to Darmanitan, but let me explain how you should play when facing a Gligar. First, bring Xatu in on it. Now, the benefit of Xatu’s –speed nature comes in handy since you will not only get switch advantage, but also force Gligar to take 17% damage if he elects to U-turn against you. This damage combined with Gligar coming in on SR is awesome later in the game, since although your opponent may think Gligar is still a check to Darmanitan, it is not. This is because after Gligar takes rocky helmet and SR, Flare Blitz is a GUARANTEED 2HKO. So basically, you need to remember: Rocky Helmet, Stealth Rocks and Flareblitz, and you should be good to go due to how well constructed my team is.

Next up: the defensive wall on the team, Gligar.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Trait: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake​

Gligar is set-up fodder for many things, and offensively speaking an overall pussy. What it can do, however is tank hits like a absolute boss. It works well on a VoltTurn team because U-turn does not give your opponent the chance to double switch. This means you can consistently bring Gligar in on the pokemon you want to check, and you don’t have to worry about your opponent double switching into a big threat to the team such as Roserade. I like consistency, and things like this that make it so I know what I’m going to switch into 100% of the time make me happy.

There really isn’t much to say about Gligar. Basically you want to switch it in and U-turn out… One thing I do want to note, however, is how NOT to play Gligar against Scrafty. Although switching Gligar in on Scrafty may seem comfortable, NEVER do it. At +2 Scrafty sweeps through the team, so I usually bring Mew in and trick it the scarf. Yes, Mew will probably die, but in most situations this is perfectly fine as long as Scrafty doesn’t get to set up. Sometimes you can ever trick them into DD which is really funny.

The last pokemon is of course, Mew.

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Trick​

Scarfed mew is really, really underrated in my opinion. What is the most common lead pokemon in UU? Crobat. What is a damn good way to get Crobat out of the way first turn of the game? Psychic it with scarfed Mew. I love nothing more than starting a game out OHKOing banded Crobat and immediately being up 6 pokes to 5. The moves I elected to put on Mew have been carefully thought out after trial and error, so let me explain the non-obvious moves. First, why U-turn over Volt Switch if I’m investing in special attack? The answer is consistency. Nothing in the tier can block U-turn meaning I am 100% certain that when I click U-turn on mew I will switch out. Sure, it’s nice to volt switch on Blastoise and Azumarille, but what happens if I volt switch into Rhyperior? The answer is I get screwed since I lose momentum and have to hard switch Xatu in, which is always bad because my opponent gets free damage on it. What I’m getting at is that Volt Switch is nice, but not necessary.

Giga drain is here to stop Rhyperior or Swampert if they manage to kill my Gligar. If you miraculously were able to guess, I don’t like SR on my side of the field. The scenario when Giga Drain is used usually goes like this: Xatu is in on Rhyperior and after getting a nice 60% off with grass knot Xatu dies to a rock blast. My opponent will generally be thinking: “okay, my specially defensive Rhyperior can probably take a hit,” which is the perfect time to hit them with the unexpected grass move on mew.

Since the STAB psychic is pretty obvious, I will spend a good amount of time talking about Mew’s most important move: trick. Trick saves me from getting swept by SO many things, and I will explain the pokemon you generally want to trick. Due to not having any phasing moves on the team, trick is what I use to deal with pokemon that like to set up. I generally trick: Scrafty, Cofagrigus, Kingdra, Suicune, and Snorlax. Without Mew, every one of these Pokemon could sweep though my team if they get the right chance to set up.

Alright, so with all the pokemon out of the way I want to now talk about the biggest threats to the team, and how to deal with them:

Shapedo: I hate Sharpedo, I really, really hate it. The best advice I can give is to always try to kill your opponent with U-turn so that you get Mew on the field. Your opponent will likely bring in Sharpedo on Mew since they (probably) won’t think it’s scarfed. From there you can kill it with U-turn. If you are unable to do this, the game will usually come down to whether Sharpedo haxes Gligar with Waterfall. Although the odds are in your favor, the first of these two situations is always preferable.

Yanmega: This sweeps the team if you don’t keep Lanturn alive… so keep Lanturn alive. The other way to deal with it is to have Darmy in when they bring in Yanmega and Flare Bitz away.

Nidoqueen: Big threat because it can OHKO Xatu and set up SR. If you see a Nidoqueen on the other team ALWAYS lead with mew to prevent it from setting up.

Nidoking: Not as bad as Nidoqueen. I generally switch Mew in on this because it can take any hit and just go from there. It’s also good to note that Darmanitan OHKOs with flare blitz. If Mew is too low to take a hit, you’ll need to do some predicting and this is what I’ll usually do. Predict so that you bring Xatu in on an expected earth power, and then double switch into Darmanitan on the Ice beam. From here just Flare Blitz away. The more you play with the team and learn the general patterns of how people play against it, the more fun you’ll have as well as the more you’ll find out that good predicting can get you consistently out of most tight situations.

Kingdra: The rain dance set is not fun to deal with and neither is specs, but the DD set is the worst. I always switch Mew into Kindra so that I can trick if it tries to set up.

Bisharp: If this is LO it can be kind of a threat dude to being able to hax out Gligar, so I generally trick it the scarf.

Roserade: Huge threat to the team if brought in safely on Gligar, Xatu or Lanturn (usually done by a double switch). Sometimes I hard switch Darmanitan in, sometimes I bring Xatu in on an expected sleep powder. I generally base my move on how good I think the player I’m facing is. There is no consistent way to deal with Roserade, and I will admit it is a problem. My best advice is to always keep the switch initiative in your favor so that you bring in Mienshao or Darmanitan when your opponent has Rosy on the field.

Jason Dang: Avoid this player at all cost. If you are unlucky enough to match up against him, I advise forfeiting immediately in order to save time and your dignity. I have cried myself to sleep at night multiple times after losing to him, so I highly recommend you save yourself from years of therapy by just quitting before he has the chance to destroy you.

So with the majority of the guide done I want to make a few shout-outs. I wanna first thank my IRL friends for being such bros. Ben (dratinigod3), Max (admMudkips), Eloy (lucid), and Philip (Pip): y’all are awesome and I think our youtube video is about as good as it gets. Ma boi Greg (thedarkrayquaza), thanks so much dude for helping with this guide man, and also for coming up with such genius names (I think sackingApimp is my favorite, son). Finally, Jason Dang, Psych071c and Moose, you all are fucking great players and building teams with y’all has been the best!

Alright, so that just about covers it. The best advice I can give about laddering is that a good team wins MOST of the time. There will always be an opponent’s team that just hard counters the shit out you, and you just have to deal with a loss and move on. The best players win most of the time, but are sure to lose eventually due to hax or being counterteamed.

If you have questions feel free to message me if you see me on the UU server on Pokemon Showdown since I’m more likely to be there than on the forums. If you have any team suggestions or criticisms I ask that you at least play enough games with the team to feel comfortable that it would make a definite improvement.

Finally, many people say that VoltTurn is easy to use and anybody can do it. I think quite the opposite, however, and recommend you all try using it before making that judgment. You know the team is good enough to repeatedly make it to the #1 spot on the ladder, so if you lose you basically only can blame yourself, and know that you aren’t good enough to handle a champion’s team... Have fun!

Team importable:

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Trick

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Night Shade
- Grass Knot
- Roost

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Gligar @ Eviolite
Trait: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey, nice team lol1z! I got reqs but never did come close to #1(was #7, but lost to level 51's NU copycat riolu team lol).

Anyway, you've listed all the threats, so I don't really need to get into that.

As for the Pokemon themselves, I don't have any changes to make, but I'm going to suggest some minor tweaks.

First off, Xatu isn't that great with a fully defensive spread. While Life Orb offensive Xatu can OHKO all rhyperior, Rocky Helmet seems more suited to your team, so I won't suggest changing that. However, your xatu spread does not OHKO even 248/0 rhyperior. For that, 76 Special Attack EVs are required to KO without SR, and only 12 are required to OHKO after it, so I would suggest changing that up.

This is a rather minor nitpick, but Darmanitan should never run 4 HP, just incase it has to switch in on SR four times. It might be worn down by Flare Blitz recoil, making it irrelevant, but imo put it into special defense to prevent p2 from getting the download boost.

Also, what's with the mienshao IVs? You, as you said, are not running HP Ice. Again, you should move the 4 HP EVs to special defense.

I guess that's it.
Edit-oops, forgot to say, great team! Luvdisc'd.

Last edited:

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
dude so you're dumping your #1 team now?

yeah I'd better dump mine too before my exams and XY and whatnot

<3

Jason Dang: Avoid this player at all cost. If you are unlucky enough to match up against him, I advise forfeiting immediately in order to save time and your dignity. I have cried myself to sleep at night multiple times after losing to him, so I highly recommend you save yourself from years of therapy by just quitting before he has the chance to destroy you.
Jason Dang comin through as a threat since '10. I second this advice.

Seriously the best volturn team, if not UU team, I've ever seen.

I love how you addressed Moose and Psych by their usernames, but called me Jason Dang. Great team man, you already know that.

Easily the best UU Volturn team of Gen V.

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
I've played this team several times on ladder, and ripped my hair out every time. Absolutely phenomenal. Best damn VoltTurn team I've seen. 12/10

ugh I played this team the other day, and I wasn't paying attention to Xatu and tried setting up rocks with Rhyperior. it was pretty much all downhill from there.

this is a really effective team. I still don't personally care for Fake Out on Mienshao, but you explained it really well. It's pretty situational, but so is HP Ice. I also don't personally care for fully defensive Xatu, but it worked against me and works well for you. congrats on all the success.

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
I remember playing this team, we tied after your shao killed my pert then died to LO recoil, it's pretty solid.

I don't really like ScarfDarm when you already have ScarfMew but I guess you can trick away your scarf without fear now. You could test LO if you want to but the team peaked #1 so don't fix what isn't broken I guess.

Hmm, I have a feeling I've faced this team a long while back (sometime in the last year). No idea if you were the pilot or someone just stole it (you/person using it), but it was pretty much this except Rotom-C was being used in place of mew. I think I won at the time, but only through very risky predictions, so this is certainly a dangerous team.

I think a number of your problems could be solved with a simple change of Timid Choice Scarf Rotom-H over darmanitan. Assuming people are running adamant sharpedo, you can get the jump on that monster, shut down yanmega, get at least one safe switch-in vs either nidoroyal (focus blast and sludge wave hurt like hell though), and enough bulk to deal with roserade at least once (watch for sleep powder obviously). The side effects of this change however would be that both swampert and rhyperior can more easily stuff up your volt-turn chains, and SubCM raikou becomes a huge threat, so if you went that way, you may need an additional change especially for raikou (possibly putting EQ on mew and giving trick duties to rotom-H?).

Then again, I don't think you really need my advice if you're reaching rank 1 with this team, so well done. Hope what I've suggested helps.

Edit: Oh right, the Rotom-H set

Rotom-H @Choice Scarf
Timid
252 Spa, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
IV's: Whatever ones correspond to HP grass, I forget.
-Overheat
-Volt Switch
-HP Grass
-Trick

hi lolz1, i am the sarf cinccino guy (King Europe ), sorry for the nasty surprise at that match. anyway you mienshao's iv's are reduced , probably because you had hp ice once on it.

What's up with Jason Dang? Why avoid him? I don't get it.
Jason Dang is only the most threatening player to ever live! Nah dude it's more of a joke, but Jason is a really cool guy who's beat me in the past with his CM/HP grass Raikou

Hmm, I have a feeling I've faced this team a long while back (sometime in the last year). No idea if you were the pilot or someone just stole it (you/person using it), but it was pretty much this except Rotom-C was being used in place of mew. I think I won at the time, but only through very risky predictions, so this is certainly a dangerous team.

I think a number of your problems could be solved with a simple change of Timid Choice Scarf Rotom-H over darmanitan. Assuming people are running adamant sharpedo, you can get the jump on that monster, shut down yanmega, get at least one safe switch-in vs either nidoroyal (focus blast and sludge wave hurt like hell though), and enough bulk to deal with roserade at least once (watch for sleep powder obviously). The side effects of this change however would be that both swampert and rhyperior can more easily stuff up your volt-turn chains, and SubCM raikou becomes a huge threat, so if you went that way, you may need an additional change especially for raikou (possibly putting EQ on mew and giving trick duties to rotom-H?).

Then again, I don't think you really need my advice if you're reaching rank 1 with this team, so well done. Hope what I've suggested helps.

Edit: Oh right, the Rotom-H set

Rotom-H @Choice Scarf
Timid
252 Spa, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
IV's: Whatever ones correspond to HP grass, I forget.
-Overheat
-Volt Switch
-HP Grass
-Trick

Thanks for the rate man. First of all nice memory: Mew did used to be Rotom-C. In terms of Changing Darmanitan to scarfed Rotom-H, this could theoretically work. I wouldn't have to change any of the moves on Mew if I did this, but rather invest enough attack EVs so that it could consistently break Raikou's subs with U-turn so that it, along with Lanturn could check that Raikou. With this being said, you already named the main reason I wouldn't like using it which is that I prefer U-turn to Volt-Switch. Furthermore, Darmanitan is bulky enough to take a hit from LO Roserade (which I am unfortunately sometimes forced to do), I prefer Flare Blitz over Overheat, and if brought in on Yanmega before the speed boost, Darmanitan usually out-speeds Yanmega at just +1 (assuming Yanmega isn't timid). Finally, some Yanmega carry HP rock, which would mean Rotom couldn't be guaranteed to shut it down.

Hey, nice team lol1z! I got reqs but never did come close to #1(was #7, but lost to level 51's NU copycat riolu team lol).

Anyway, you've listed all the threats, so I don't really need to get into that.

As for the Pokemon themselves, I don't have any changes to make, but I'm going to suggest some minor tweaks.

First off, Xatu isn't that great with a fully defensive spread. While Life Orb offensive Xatu can OHKO all rhyperior, Rocky Helmet seems more suited to your team, so I won't suggest changing that. However, your xatu spread does not OHKO even 248/0 rhyperior. For that, 76 Special Attack EVs are required to KO without SR, and only 12 are required to OHKO after it, so I would suggest changing that up.

This is a rather minor nitpick, but Darmanitan should never run 4 HP, just incase it has to switch in on SR four times. It might be worn down by Flare Blitz recoil, making it irrelevant, but imo put it into special defense to prevent p2 from getting the download boost.

Also, what's with the mienshao IVs? You, as you said, are not running HP Ice. Again, you should move the 4 HP EVs to special defense.

I guess that's it.
Edit-oops, forgot to say, great team! Luvdisc'd.
Yo yo dude. First of all, you and King Europe are correct about the Mienshao IVs, I think I must have been testing out HP ice instead of Fakeout awhile back. Second, I like the idea of special defense on Darmanitan in order to avoid the p2 download boost. In terms of the Xatu EVs, I have sure thought about the changes you suggested in the past, giving Xatu enough special attack EVs to get that guaranteed OHKO on Rhyperior, but this is why I decided against it: I usually am forced to switch Xatu into Rhyperior and take a Rock Blast. I can take any hit unless the opponent lucks out and gets a "5" on the RB. Basically since Xatu isn't that bulky, i desperately NEED to take the hit first before I can even attack back, so that's the main reason Xatu is invested so heavily in defense and HP. Furthermore, Xatu is my main check to Azumarill, and although the extra attack in GN would definitely make sense in checking this, again I have to first take the banded ice punch before I can roost stall. If Xatu cannot take a hit, investing in special attack is unnecessary IMO.

hi lolz1, i am the sarf cinccino guy (King Europe ), sorry for the nasty surprise at that match. anyway you mienshao's iv's are reduced , probably because you had hp ice once on it.
I know dude I got smashed, I'll be the first to admit it! That scarfed Cinccino is so random, but running things as weird as Scarfed Mew myself I can't even knock it. Also, you are indeed right about the Mienshao IVs. Hopefully I'll match up against you again in the future!

Last edited by a moderator:
Because CM HP Grass Raikou does WORK against this team. Also my hyper offensive rain team smashed him, but I helped him get to number 1 by forfeiting for my baby imo ;)
Gayson Wang too strong. I mean what can you do against this sort of player? Not a damn thing. He even wrote "work" in all caps.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Really well constructed team, I'm a p shit UU player, cant wait to rip this off

Shaymin seems like a pretty threat though, imo. Seed flare + hp ice + earth power does a lot of work against your team. Sub makes it worse if youre trying to bring darm or xatu in on seed flare off volt or har switch. Trick scarfing hurts it I guess, but a scarf onto something that's best STAB is pretty good against your team and outspeeds your scarfers hurts.

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol my boy lol1z finally deciding to put this team up and lay in the sun...it's bad that I've played you so many times that I knew at least 90% of your team off the top of my head (Though I did not notice Xatu had Rocky Helmet, lol). I ain't got much else to say except this team is pretty hardcore, but it takes some true skill to outright use it correctly. In fact, I honestly think this is one of those teams that requires more skill and tactics to win with rather than just outright throwing it at someone and letting them crumble. I've faced a good number of peeps running this team, and...lol yeah you get the point.

Only thing, after our game we had the other night I would definitely add CM Slowbro/Suicune to the threat list. If Mew and Lanturn are dead, you're forced to do the number one thing any Volt-Turn team hates to do: And that's play the game of Attrition with a setup sweeper. I've had that BS happen to me with a SubCM Raikou of all things, and in a similar manner, you'll have to keep throwing Pokemon at it until you get lucky or until you catch your opponent off-guard. But the reason why I list these guys is simply because the majority of your team is physical, you don't have a huge dedicated specially offensive backbone either. Both these guys can sponge physical hits and heal off Regenerator (Lanturn at least puts a timer on Slowbro, though. But he most likely won't stay in), and Suicune has to repeatedly Rest and rely on Sleep Talk. But needless to say, if it's in there and set up, you could have a big problem on your hands as you have no way of readily taking them out without hitting them over and over again.

But it's just threats, and I'm sure you know how to get past them, as one doesn't simply peak that many times and never face such a Pokemon. Anyway that's all I wanted to say lol.

Also that Jason Dang guy...Made me realize SubCM Raikou hurts Volt-Turn a lot. :'[

Best voltturn team period.

I've played this team at least 8-10 times and I know I've only beaten it 2 or 3. Mostly due to specs z coming in and stirring shit up.

This team is amazing man is without question one of the scariest momentum based teams of this gen. I've seen people try and replicate this team, but with a few different mons but man i just never works out quite as well. Good stuff man!

lol my boy lol1z finally deciding to put this team up and lay in the sun...it's bad that I've played you so many times that I knew at least 90% of your team off the top of my head (Though I did not notice Xatu had Rocky Helmet, lol). I ain't got much else to say except this team is pretty hardcore, but it takes some true skill to outright use it correctly. In fact, I honestly think this is one of those teams that requires more skill and tactics to win with rather than just outright throwing it at someone and letting them crumble. I've faced a good number of peeps running this team, and...lol yeah you get the point.

Only thing, after our game we had the other night I would definitely add CM Slowbro/Suicune to the threat list. If Mew and Lanturn are dead, you're forced to do the number one thing any Volt-Turn team hates to do: And that's play the game of Attrition with a setup sweeper. I've had that BS happen to me with a SubCM Raikou of all things, and in a similar manner, you'll have to keep throwing Pokemon at it until you get lucky or until you catch your opponent off-guard. But the reason why I list these guys is simply because the majority of your team is physical, you don't have a huge dedicated specially offensive backbone either. Both these guys can sponge physical hits and heal off Regenerator (Lanturn at least puts a timer on Slowbro, though. But he most likely won't stay in), and Suicune has to repeatedly Rest and rely on Sleep Talk. But needless to say, if it's in there and set up, you could have a big problem on your hands as you have no way of readily taking them out without hitting them over and over again.

But it's just threats, and I'm sure you know how to get past them, as one doesn't simply peak that many times and never face such a Pokemon. Anyway that's all I wanted to say lol.

Also that Jason Dang guy...Made me realize SubCM Raikou hurts Volt-Turn a lot. :'[
Haha thanks for the rate Brobat! You are definitely right in that the team hates pokemon that like to set up, but I rarely struggle against Suicune and Slowbro. With Suicune I just give it the scarf and it's worthless. In the case of CM Slowbro, I have a pretty specific way of dealing with it: first get that toxic off with Lanturn, then Volt Switch to mew on the predicted psyshock. At this point U-turn back into Lanturn on the predicted scald. With the extra damage you rack up due to toxic and the damage done by U-Turn and Volt Switch, Slowbro gets worn down pretty quickly. Lanturn is bulky enough to take a Psyshock if your opponent predicts you, and Mew has enough natural bulk to take a few boosted scalds as well, in case your opponent is ballsy enough to use a psychic move against mew or a water move against Lanturn (predicting your switch).

Anyways, I definitely agree that if you lose Mew and Lanturn it is VERY hard to deal with Suicune and Slowbro... So unfortunately my best advice for dealing with these two pokemon is merely to make sure Mew and Lanturn stay relatively healthy.

Last edited:
Wait I may actually have a suggestion!

For Lanturn, try out 52 HP / 204 Def / 252 SpD

252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 52 HP / 204 Def Lanturn: 156-184 (38.61 - 45.54%)
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 208-246 (45.81 - 54.18%)

252+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 52 HP / 252+ SpD Lanturn: 165-196 (40.84 - 48.51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lanturn: 165-196 (36.34 - 43.17%) -- 98.29% chance to 3HKO

Basically you lose not much special bulk but gain a decent amount of physical bulk in turn.
If approximately more than just 1/3 of all hits yanmega takes are physical this will generally help more. This is more of a preference thing so it isn't quite a real suggestion I guess.

Just a quick nitpick: moving the 4 EVs leftover on Mew, Darm and Mienshao would minimize passive damage and shut down special download users

Wait I may actually have a suggestion!

For Lanturn, try out 52 HP / 204 Def / 252 SpD

252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 52 HP / 204 Def Lanturn: 156-184 (38.61 - 45.54%)
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 208-246 (45.81 - 54.18%)

252+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 52 HP / 252+ SpD Lanturn: 165-196 (40.84 - 48.51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lanturn: 165-196 (36.34 - 43.17%) -- 98.29% chance to 3HKO

Basically you lose not much special bulk but gain a decent amount of physical bulk in turn.
If approximately more than just 1/3 of all hits yanmega takes are physical this will generally help more. This is more of a preference thing so it isn't quite a real suggestion I guess.

Just a quick nitpick: moving the 4 EVs leftover on Mew, Darm and Mienshao would minimize passive damage and shut down special download users
Hmm interesting ideas Moose. First of all moving the 4 EVs over definitely makes sense, especially since P2 can be a problem sometimes. In terms of the Lanturn EV spread, there is no doubt the extra defense would be nice, but the main things that come to mind are taking specs shadow balls from Chandelure, which can easily 2HKO if Lanturn isn't packing that max HP, and also Giga Drains from Yanmegas, which most tend to carry. I've thought about moving Lanturn's EVs around, and I've even considered going back to putting the extra EVs in special attack like I used to do awhile back to guarantee Volt Switch killing Yanmega, but I so desperately need Lanturn to tank special hits that I moved the EVs back to HP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)