Other Most overhyped or underated aspect this gen so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of disagree with two points posted here:

Fairies:
Imho, looking at the typing itself, I still think it completely deserves the hype it got, and we even have a perfect example that showcases it: Azumarill!
It easily jumped from being an average UU-Mon to being a menacing OU-Mon, nearly solely on virtue of the Fairy-Retyping.
The reason why Fairy seems overhyped is because most pokemon with it have either unfitting or outright bad stats.

Sticky Web:
Again, the move itself is just ridiculous; And again, the reason why it's not used isn't that the move is bad -it's basically mandatory to run it on everything that gets it!- It's just that the pokemon that get it are terrible and on top of that are mostly suicide leads, a playing style that took a huge blow with new, better spinners, as well as defog. The only mon that could be used as a bulky setter is shuckle, and shuckle is... well, shuckle.

At least these two points seem to me like mocking people for not knowing what couldn't have been anticipated, which is kinda pointless.

Well, anyway, I have a few things myself that I think were underhyped:

Mega-Venusaur:Great typing, at least in conjunction with thick fat, great bulk, decent SpA, Leech Seed, Giga Drain and Synthesis easily make up for the lack of leftover, Poison-Stab ensures that the only type immune to leech seed, grass, can't really stay in(with the exception of ferrothorn)... It really was a lot better than even I thought it would be. Even without rain-support, it can easily wall many fire-types, and with it, even more, which is simply hilarious( I know, with rain-support, nearly everything neutral to fire can wall it, but if someone told me in gen 5 venusaur could easily wall fire in gen 6...).

Rotom-C: I already thought last gen it was underrated, but now, with the nice extras both grass- and electric-types got, it's even better, and additionally, opposing rotom-w absolutely hate it.

Actually, grass-types in general were somewhat underrated because simply being immune to spore-based moves makes them a lot more useful, and not many people seemed to be accounting for that.

Rotom-H: Unique typing - it's the only usable mon that resists boltbeam, it completely fucks over mamoswine, etc. - , immunity to arguably the best status-move while able to use it yourself, decent defenses AND the most important thing, with access to a lot better spinners and defog, the SR-weakness isn't nearly as bad as it once was.

Weather: Drizzle + Swift Swim is still just great, as well as Manaphy, and everyone is so grumpy about the weather-nerf that they neither try it themselves, nor prepare for it. On some occasions, you're even happy about the rain ending because it means you can use fire-types on a rain team outside of using it solely as a drought-counter.

Rotom-C: I already thought last gen it was underrated, but now, with the nice extras both grass- and electric-types got, it's even better, and additionally, opposing rotom-w absolutely hate it.
This really hits the spot in my opinion. Rotom-H had his own hype when it was revealed that Will-O-Wisp no longer burns Fire-Type, and Rotom-F is being hyped now that Excadrill and the like are killing Rotom-W with Mold Breaker Earthquake.

Rotom-C got buffed too, with Grass types essentially having the same buff as Overcoat, which increased the hype with Mandibuzz, but I think no one's really seeing him as anything great.

With a lot of Rotom-W's running amok now, I think Rotom-C should have at least been seen or tested as one of the possible counters for it; Neither of Rotom-W's moves can hurt it, while Rotom-C can OHKO Rotom-W with a Leaf Storm or at least force a switch.

Fairies are not overhyped. Sure most of them have terrible stats, but the fact is, fairy is THE best typing in the entire game. Anything with it instantly gets a niche because of how good the typing it. Clefable is not capable of walling a great part of the metagame because it has great bulk (it doesnt). It does so because its fairy. Klefki is the only swaggerplay user that is extremely consistent at what it does, and thats because its fairy. I fully expect fairies to be relevant in every tier because theres always a reason to use them. None of the rotom formes are underhyped at all. The thing is, there is no reason to use them over rotom-w unless you really want to, so dont expect them to have great usage anytime soon. Water/Electric is just way too good to pass up and hydro pump consistency is hugely preferred over overheat/leaf storm.

Underrated?

I'd say Knock Off. That move, along with U-Turn, may have sealed the fate of Psychic types in this gen. There are a lot of possibilities with this move, a lot of unexplored mindgames-based tactics that can be utilized.

Fairies are not overhyped. Sure most of them have terrible stats, but the fact is, fairy is THE best typing in the entire game. Anything with it instantly gets a niche because of how good the typing it. Clefable is not capable of walling a great part of the metagame because it has great bulk (it doesnt). It does so because its fairy. Klefki is the only swaggerplay user that is extremely consistent at what it does, and thats because its fairy. I fully expect fairies to be relevant in every tier because theres always a reason to use them. None of the rotom formes are underhyped at all. The thing is, there is no reason to use them over rotom-w unless you really want to, so dont expect them to have great usage anytime soon. Water/Electric is just way too good to pass up and hydro pump consistency is hugely preferred over overheat/leaf storm.
Imho, you see the rotom-issue from the wrong perspective. You don't use Rotom-C/-H over Rotom-W or vice versa, you use Rotom-C over any other Grass-Type, or Rotom-H over any other Fire-Type(That's at least how I see it). You could even easily use two of them on the same team since they don't compound weaknesses, though their movepool is of course redundant aside from their "signature moves", so it's mandatory to make one bulky with leftovers and the other offensively scarfed or something like that to keep them from being redundant altogether.
Sure, water/electric is great, but water didn't get anything this gen, and, as said, Rotom-W counters different things and has different counters than Rotom-H and Rotom-C.

Nah, man. The best typing in the game? Ghost.
It has one resist and one immunity, and the latter is a fairly poor typing overall. You know what hits both of those super-effectively? Fighting moves, more specifically, Focus Blast. What's a powerful, well-distributed fighting-type move? Oh, yeah...
Not to mention it spinblocks, too. That's something.
Either way, though, no, it's not fairy. Fairy is second or third, but ghost is easily the best.

[@Clefable - the typing helps a lot, of course, but have you ever considered the fact that not only does it get good STAB to abuse now, but the fact that things its old typing is weak to/does poorly against [fighting, steel, etc] were very popular in the last metagame, as well as weather-boosted hits it just couldn't stomach? Its typing is not the only reason it rose up, and its still not really popular enough for OU iirc - the metagame around it is also very different]

Last edited:

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Overhyped: Talonflame. It takes so much residual damage to the point it's more of a liability than else. It's so much of a suicide bomb that you're better off using something with Explosion instead.

Underhyped: Avalugg. It's the best physical wall available in OU. People say "ice type" but it hardly matters when you have a physical bulk comparable to Giratina, Recover and Sturdy. Its ice type is in fact a blessing in disguise because unlike Skarmory and Donphan it can actually hit back the things it's supposed to wall instead of just stalling. It counters physically-based dragons far better than any fairy type.

Wait, I thought you could only use 1 Rotom per team. Did that rule change?
Really? Well, then scratch the line about using two of them(I never did it because of redundant move pool, I only theorymoned that it probably wouldn't be that bad). Still, the rest holds; You use Rotom-W for completely different things than Rotom-C or Rotom-H.

Mega-Bannette is under hyped. Many people will write it off as a bad Mega because it is forced to kill itself to fulfill its niche, however, Mega bannette is the most consistent revenge killer to ever exist. Aside from faster priority users (other than extreme speed, Mach punch, and quick attack users), mbanette is capable of killing everything in the entire game. Before banette takes one for the team though, she can cripple opponents with priority will-o-wisp, get revenge kills against weaker opponents with shadow sneak, can trick opponents into trying to play around destiny bond and punish them with a priority sub or a slow and powerful shadow claw after destiny bond. If you aren't necessarily a fan of being a suicide revenge killer, you can always opt for a priority sub-sable set with two attacks as well.

Mega-Bannette is under hyped. Many people will write it off as a bad Mega because it is forced to kill itself to fulfill its niche, however, Mega bannette is the most consistent revenge killer to ever exist. Aside from faster priority users (other than extreme speed, Mach punch, and quick attack users), mbanette is capable of killing everything in the entire game. Before banette takes one for the team though, she can cripple opponents with priority will-o-wisp, get revenge kills against weaker opponents with shadow sneak, can trick opponents into trying to play around destiny bond and punish them with a priority sub or a slow and powerful shadow claw after destiny bond. If you aren't necessarily a fan of being a suicide revenge killer, you can always opt for a priority sub-sable set with two attacks as well.
It's high Attack also helps in this regard; your opponent can either risk losing their own Pokemon, or eating a powerful Shadow Claw. Taunt can also work in tandem with Destiny Bond to prevent opponents from simply setting up.

Playing destiny bond+taunt mindgames is not consistency, youre literally playing a 50/50 here (not really sure where would you possibly fit shadow claw in, never mind the fact its not powerful at all). Thats the problem, youre relying too much on what the opponent is going to do, while something like cb talonflame or scarf genesect can just come in and fire the appropriate move. Destiny bond also only has 8 pp, so it can be stalled out easily. Shiruba if you actually think there was any other reason for the likes of clefable, togekiss and azumarill to rise up other than the new typing you need to think again. All of them were mediocre in the ou metagame with only azumarill having any kind of relevance (and thats only because of rain). A simple addition of fairy typing was literally all it took for them to become what they are now. We are talking about something that is immune to dragon, resistant to fighting, bug and dark and is only weak to poison (lol) and steel. Ghost might great to spam for neutral coverage but thats not even close to the utiliy fairy brings to the table.

You see, you don't just send in Mega Banette on absolutely anything and just start spamming the crap out of Destiny Bond. You have to utilize it on something it can handle, and you have to be able to predict if your opponent will attack or switch out. Taunt cripples anything that sets up, so it can just be used to Taunt if it's facing an unfavorable matchup and switch out, or go straight for the Shadow Claw and switch out, or Destiny Bond if you believe your opponent will attack.

Er, well, I already told you there was. Clefable has a much better time setting up now than it did before, simply because the "sheer force" of weather-boosted assaults has gone down. Its typing definitely helped, of course, but the metagame around it has vastly changed, you can't possibly deny that. It also, again, got better moves to support its typing. Togekiss has always been an asshole, and it rarely uses its faerie STAB anyway, as far as I'm aware. Too busy flinchhaxing, and it can't even do that against Electric types nowadays, even if it runs Body Slam instead of Thunder Wave. It does, of course, help it defensively to an extent, as it now x4 resists bug instead of x2, resists Dark, and is now x4 resistant to Fighting instead of neutral, as well as immune to Dragon. It is, however, still weak to rocks, Electric, Ice, and is now weak to Steel [hi Scizor, Aegislash, Genesect] and Poison [not as problematic, but Gengar actually runs his other STAB sometimes now], and is no longer immune to Ghost, an incredible typing this gen, so it's not all roses for it.

Also, I don't really see Clefable or even Togekiss being all that popular despite their retyping. Maybe I'm just watching all the wrong games, but I see more Clefable in Gen V UU than Gen VI OU, and the most I see of Togekiss is NBZ messing around with it, and Showderp getting everything to +6 with Windykiss.

Azumarill, though, is definitely pretty solid, of course, and fairy is still a great typing, like I said, but how high do you think it would've gotten if it had a shiny, new Fighting type instead, and got Close Combat for a strong STAB attack that doesn't lower its Attack? :o

Nah, man. The best typing in the game? Ghost.
It has one resist and one immunity, and the latter is a fairly poor typing overall. You know what hits both of those super-effectively? Fighting moves, more specifically, Focus Blast. What's a powerful, well-distributed fighting-type move? Oh, yeah...
Not to mention it spinblocks, too. That's something.
Either way, though, no, it's not fairy. Fairy is second or third, but ghost is easily the best.
Ghost is a good neutral attacking type, sure, but I wouldn't say its the best... It only hits 2 things for super effective, psychic being an uncommon type in OU, and Ghost, but that is kind of a double edged sword, considering ghosts won't want to stay in unless they are faster. Yeah, it blocks rapid spin, and that is a big bonus, and they are immune to trapping effects as well, but I can't call that the best thing ever when it only has 2 resists (good job resisting that poison and bug) and 2 immunes, with only 1 of those being a common attacking type (fighting).

Defensively, its not the greatest typing. Offensively, its good on a neutral basis. And, utility wise, it can do what it needs to do. But, best typing? IMO, far from it.

Fairy, on the other hand, is only weak to uncommon attacking 2 types (bullet punch being steels exception). I wouldn't say fairy is better OR worse than ghost, but I can't say ghost is the best typing in the game.

Anyways, Fairy is a great typing but suffers from poor pokemon selection. It serves its purpose on being a dragon stopper. Dragon being the best attacking type in the game, previously only resisted by steel, which didn't matter because near all dragons ran earthquake, fireblast, or some other tactic to stop steel. Dragon, even further, previously only weak against 2 types (although both common attacking types), resisted 4 of the elemental attacking types, making it quite the typing. Fairy fixes most of these feats. However, Fairy only has 1 good pokemon, being Azumarril. Clefable is wonderful for its niche, and Klefki is running rampant with annoying tricks, but none of these punish dragons with their typing.

As someone said earlier, if other pokemon got fairy typing, things might be a little different. But at the moment, the typing seems trashy with out any good users.

Er, well, I already told you there was. Clefable has a much better time setting up now than it did before, simply because the "sheer force" of weather-boosted assaults has gone down. Its typing definitely helped, of course, but the metagame around it has vastly changed, you can't possibly deny that. It also, again, got better moves to support its typing. Togekiss has always been an asshole, and it rarely uses its faerie STAB anyway, as far as I'm aware. Too busy flinchhaxing, and it can't even do that against Electric types nowadays, even if it runs Body Slam instead of Thunder Wave. It does, of course, help it defensively to an extent, as it now x4 resists bug instead of x2, resists Dark, and is now x4 resistant to Fighting instead of neutral, as well as immune to Dragon. It is, however, still weak to rocks, Electric, Ice, and is now weak to Steel [hi Scizor, Aegislash, Genesect] and Poison [not as problematic, but Gengar actually runs his other STAB sometimes now], and is no longer immune to Ghost, an incredible typing this gen, so it's not all roses for it.

Also, I don't really see Clefable or even Togekiss being all that popular despite their retyping. Maybe I'm just watching all the wrong games, but I see more Clefable in Gen V UU than Gen VI OU, and the most I see of Togekiss is NBZ messing around with it, and Showderp getting everything to +6 with Windykiss.

Azumarill, though, is definitely pretty solid, of course, and fairy is still a great typing, like I said, but how high do you think it would've gotten if it had a shiny, new Fighting type instead, and got Close Combat for a strong STAB attack that doesn't lower its Attack? :o
It doesnt need to setup anything. Wish Passing sets are what clefable should be doing and they only work now because of they fairy typing. Even the cosmic power sets (which arent that good anyway) benefit a lot from that typing by getting more setup opportunities. Not really sure what you mean by ''sheer force of weather boosted moves going down'' when this metagame is still ridiculous offensive, just with different nukes. And a fighting azumarill would be walled by jellicent and slowbro like before and would lack the dragon immunity to pivot around, therefore not solving any of its problems. If you cant see fairies potential outside of troll gimmicks then you sure need to face or use more of them.

Playing destiny bond+taunt mindgames is not consistency, youre literally playing a 50/50 here (not really sure where would you possibly fit shadow claw in, never mind the fact its not powerful at all). Thats the problem, youre relying too much on what the opponent is going to do, while something like cb talonflame or scarf genesect can just come in and fire the appropriate move. Destiny bond also only has 8 pp, so it can be stalled out easily. Shiruba if you actually think there was any other reason for the likes of clefable, togekiss and azumarill to rise up other than the new typing you need to think again. All of them were mediocre in the ou metagame with only azumarill having any kind of relevance (and thats only because of rain). A simple addition of fairy typing was literally all it took for them to become what they are now. We are talking about something that is immune to dragon, resistant to fighting, bug and dark and is only weak to poison (lol) and steel. Ghost might great to spam for neutral coverage but thats not even close to the utiliy fairy brings to the table.
Scarf genesect doesnt do anything against mega banette and sets using will-o-wisp encourage it to stay in and eat crippling status. This is of course if it is physically based scarf. And I don't think you realize that destiny bond lasts until banette attacks. With banettes naturally low speed, it can fire off a quick destiny bond and then smack the opponent with a slow and powerful shadow claw while still threatening to take an offensive opponent out. Taunt is for things like ferrothorn that would try to set up a leech seed or spikes on banette to try to stall it out instead of attacking right away. Oh and azumarill got a secondary boost with belly drum + aqua jet being legal now which is another reason why it moved up in usage as well.

It would have still been completely walled by Jellicent (Ice Punch is best coverage move if it doesn't opt for play rough). On the upside, though, it might make more people realize that Azumarill still has a completely viable Sub-Punch set... :/

I've been using Togekiss in a rather niche spot; I was originally using Specially Defensive Zapdos, but I wanted something that could function, well, better. I needed a competent specially bulky attacker, and Togekiss was also able to lend Cleric support to my team through Heal Bell. Thanks to Roost it can stay alive for a long time, and it has AMAZING typing, immune to Dragon/Ground coverage. This is made even better because many dragons still look at their third slot as something to hit *skarmory*, so they often opt for a special fire type move. Which, of course, does maybe 20% unboosted to a specially defensive Togekiss. Serene Grace is really usable, and Togekiss is imo the best Serene Grace abuser in the tier now, since it has great typing and Jirachi's Steel/Psychic got nerfed, weak to Knock Off, Pursuit, and the omnipresent Ghost moves.

Clefable is easily checkable (taunt), but Togekiss is a definite threat in the current meta.

Scarf genesect doesnt do anything against mega banette and sets using will-o-wisp encourage it to stay in and eat crippling status. This is of course if it is physically based scarf. And I don't think you realize that destiny bond lasts until banette attacks. With banettes naturally low speed, it can fire off a quick destiny bond and then smack the opponent with a slow and powerful shadow claw while still threatening to take an offensive opponent out. Taunt is for things like ferrothorn that would try to set up a leech seed or spikes on banette to try to stall it out instead of attacking right away. Oh and azumarill got a secondary boost with belly drum + aqua jet being legal now which is another reason why it moved up in usage as well.
I am not talking about genesect checking banette, im talking about genesect being a far more consistent revenge killer.

Starraptor is crazy underrated. That thing hits like a truck. Also, Arcanine is amazing this gen. He counters Aegislash all day long.

I am not talking about genesect checking banette, im talking about genesect being a far more consistent revenge killer.
I see. The problem with genesect is that it generally struggles against things like fire types that bannette can easily handle and it struggles against things that boost speed like rock polish landorus/autonomize gene sect/rock polish terrakion etc. and slow Pokemon with priority such as bisharp, mawille, azumarill, etc. Still, scarf sect is able to kill more than one Pokemon easily, so that is a nice advantage. Talonflame is a great revenge killer too, but it is easily walled and worn down by things like stealth rock. My point was basically that bannette can take down almost anything in the entire game consistently.

Underhyped: Avalugg. It's the best physical wall available in OU. People say "ice type" but it hardly matters when you have a physical bulk comparable to Giratina, Recover and Sturdy. Its ice type is in fact a blessing in disguise because unlike Skarmory and Donphan it can actually hit back the things it's supposed to wall instead of just stalling. It counters physically-based dragons far better than any fairy type.
Typing is one of the most, if not the single most, important parts of being a wall. By being an Ice type, it's not just your weakness count that holds you back, but your resistance count as well. All Aavalugg resist is ice, but the only ice attacks you see are from special or mixed attackers, thanks to the distribution of SR.

The only thing it's got going for it as a well is it's stats & moves, which are good and all, but with that weakness count, it has much less potential then it would have otherwise. It's also not the most reliable way of stopping dragons at all, not with fairies running around. It's also ridiculously easy to counter with that special defense. I'd actually say this thing is over hyped, to an extant.

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 153-180 (38.8 - 45.6%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Alright, it can take on the average dragon dancer, but still not not as well as fairies can, and it can't do much to stop MegaZardX or DD MixMence.

Last edited:
This really hits the spot in my opinion. Rotom-H had his own hype when it was revealed that Will-O-Wisp no longer burns Fire-Type, and Rotom-F is being hyped now that Excadrill and the like are killing Rotom-W with Mold Breaker Earthquake.
Wait what? Since when was there hype for Rotom-F? It still dies to Mold Breaker Earthquake. If anything it should be Rotom-S.

...Did I really just recommend Rotom-S? I need to lie down now.

Wait what? Since when was there hype for Rotom-F? It still dies to Mold Breaker Earthquake. If anything it should be Rotom-S.

...Did I really just recommend Rotom-S? I need to lie down now.
I think they said Rotom-F thinking the F stood for fan, not freeze.

Still no point with Zapdos and the Thundurus forms out there, unless you really like Will-o-Wisp.

Underrated? Keldeo, kyub, terrakion, landorus are very underused but not under rated.

Wobb is very under rated. With all of the powerful setup sweepers that need free turns like luke, pinsir, shift gene, azumarill to name a few I'd expect more wobb tbh.

Breloom is also underrated. spore is still awesome despite mechanic changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)