Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

I don't think so, although maybe one ds is giving you a luckier seed? But my theory is that some trainer's shiny values are luckier than others. Like you hear about some people getting tons of shinies through either MM or friend safari, while others have to search/breed for hours on end. I think I'm one of the ones in the latter group.

I'm breeding with the Shiny Charm.

My current goal is to hatch 100 eggs.

I am breeding Porygon (GER) and Ditto (ENG)

1. 030 Eggs / 0 Shiny

Last edited:
got shiny charm about a week ago. i'd love to help. is it okay if i switch the pokemon i breed?? for instance i started research with absol. hatched shiny at 126 out of 136 eggs i had so i went to riolu. is this okay as long as i still meet my pledge?

planning on hatching a few batches of 90 eggs (3 boxes) on my quest to find a shiny hawlucha. i'm almost done gathering eggs for the first batch and i'll edit this post/post again with results.
after 270 eggs, i still haven't gotten a shiny. i did, however change up the Pokemon in the daycare frequently, so i dunno how that would affect the data. if it does, i hatched 2 seperate batches of 90 (180 eggs) and the rest were separate batches of 30.

The Scientist

Heheh, not a Silph worker...
is a Researcher Alumnus
got shiny charm about a week ago. i'd love to help. is it okay if i switch the pokemon i breed?? for instance i started research with absol. hatched shiny at 126 out of 136 eggs i had so i went to riolu. is this okay as long as i still meet my pledge?
I think it's fine if people switch their targets, as long as they end up with the same number of eggs as previously pledged.

SV: 3529
Pledge: 3000 Eggs x Shiny Charm x MM

Ditto x Absol (MM)
136 eggs (Shiny #126)

Ditto x Lucario (MM)
196 eggs (Shiny #183)

Ditto x Electrike (MM)
346 eggs (Shiny #338)

Ditto x Lombre (MM)
211 eggs (Shiny #183)

Ditto x Kabutops (MM)
2111 eggs (Shiny #???)

Total Hatched: 3000 / Total Shinies: 4

Last edited:
Another thing I was wondering was, do the number of steps you have on your 3DS influence how likely you are to encounter a shiny? I have no evidence other than that o-powers are affected by it, but I just thought it might be a possibility.

I hope those of you doing the compilations know enough about statistics to not include everyone so far (namely those with conditional probabilities--e.g. pledging to hatch batches of 100 until they get a shiny.)

I hope those of you doing the compilations know enough about statistics to not include everyone so far (namely those with conditional probabilities--e.g. pledging to hatch batches of 100 until they get a shiny.)
Pledging batches of 100 until they get a shiny is not bad. If, say, you have a goal of 1 million eggs and get people to pledge batches of 100 until they get a shiny (and having those people keep pledging until we hit 1 million), that would be no different then getting a thousand people pledging one batch of 1,000 eggs each. When each person stops has no effect on the results, given enough people hatching enough eggs. 50,000 eggs is enough for quitting after hatching a shiny to not matter. As long as shiny chance is the same for different players, it should be just as accurate either way.

Just finished my 4th batch of 120 eggs, so I'm sitting at 480 eggs with no shiny. Wow, I knew 1/433 was totally wrong. Either that or my luck totally sucks.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this study, but someone earlier mentioned that it's unclear if MM works by region or by language this gen; I can pledge 2000 eggs from a US Gastly and an Australian Gastly (no shiny charm) if that would be at all useful.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this study, but someone earlier mentioned that it's unclear if MM works by region or by language this gen; I can pledge 2000 eggs from a US Gastly and an Australian Gastly (no shiny charm) if that would be at all useful.
The MM rate is already known, so data without the shiny charm isn't really needed.

Updated my original post (+100 eggs, no shiny).

1300 eggs, no shiny. Urrrgh.

Legitimately around 2500 masuda eggs dry (1200 since shiny charm. (will update)

I updated the chart. We're currently at 13,569 eggs and 30 eggs. I don't feel like constantly posting the chart up here, but I'll give updates whenever I can.

Also: This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but if you say, "I WILL pledge x eggs" without posting the results, then I won't count that because I won't know if you actually did those eggs or not. So if you say you will pledge x eggs, please be sure to post your results.
May I suggest making a google doc? That way people can update it themselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)