CAP 18 CAP 18 - Part 6 - Stat Spread Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello. In this thread, you may post your CAP 18 work-in-progress and final stat spread submissions for the community and the TLT's consideration and make comments on other peoples' submissions. At the conclusion of this thread, our Stats Leader srk1214 will decide on a slate for voting based on the community's input. In the Stats Limits thread, our Topic Leadership decided on the following limits that all stat spread submissions must adhere to:

Limits:
Physical Sweepiness: 100
Physical Tankiness: 160
Special Sweepiness: 215
Special Tankiness: 195
Base Stat Rating: 335
Those are maximum limits, by the way.

BSR ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED AND WILL NOT BE SLATED!

BSR abuse is doing things like 150 HP and 70 Def/SpD to create a theoretical optimum with the limits that you have. The purpose of the stat rating limits is to restrict what submitters can do, not to give them a license to game the system. If you cannot justify your stats legitimately and have not proven that you aren't just making the best stats within the limits, you will not get slated.

Here is a spreadsheet for calculating Physical Sweepiness, Physical Tankiness, Special Sweepiness, Special Tankiness, and Base Stat Rating. To use the spreadsheet, you will need Microsoft Excel 2007 or higher, OpenOffice.org Calc 3 or higher, or a similar spreadsheet program that can handle .xlsx files. Alternatively, you can upload the spreadsheet onto Google docs. You must have the stat rating values listed correctly in your submission or it will be ignored for the slate. If you want to dig a little deeper into how these numbers are calculated, read the contents of this link.

When you are satisfied with your stat submission, mark it as finished by writing "Final Submission" (bolded) at the top of your post. Submissions that lack a bolded "Final Submission" at the top of the post when this thread closes will not be slated.

This thread will be open for submissions and discussion when srk1214 has posted his opening comments.

--------------------

CAP18 so far:

Leadership Team:

DetroitLolcat
- Topic Leader
jas61292 - Typing Leader
PttP - Ability Leader
srk1214 - Stats Leader
ginganinja - Movepool Leader
Concept: Major Third

General Description: A Pokemon that forms an effective offensive or defensive core with two lesser-used OU Pokemon.

Justification: Cores have always been an integral part of the metagame, whether you're running Talonflame/Staraptor to brute force everything, Slowbro/Amoonguss/Heatran for Regenerator-Leftovers stalling, or a whole team of Dragons + Magnezone. We've previously explored what it takes to make a successful partnership in CAP11 (Voodoom), but the metagame (and the simulator!) has changed dramatically since Voodoom's creation. I would also like to up the ante a little bit: Instead of just one, can we now take TWO Pokemon and find their missing piece? Whether we opt to build on an established two-Pokemon partnership or choose two previously unrelated Pokemon and put them together, I think that we can certainly find a Voodoom for a more offensive time.

Questions to Be Answered:
  • How do effective cores in the current metagame differ fundamentally from the cores of previous metagames, if at all?
  • Is synergy as important (relative to power) in the current metagame as it previously has been? (That is, has power creep rendered synergy unnecessary?)
  • What differences are there between tailoring a Pokemon to two others and tailoring it to one? What else must be considered besides weaknesses and resistances?
  • How does the addition of a Pokemon to a core change what other Pokemon can be effectively run alongside the core?
  • Does Team Preview make running cores more difficult?
  • Is it possible to create a core uncounterable by a single Pokemon? (For example, Celebi/Heatran/Jellicent was a very effective BW core that got slaughtered by Tyranitar. Can a core force opponents to counter it with another core?)
  • Tagging onto the above, what is required to "counter-core" a core? What combination of offensive and defensive characteristics among "counter-core" members achieves this?
Pokemon CAP18 should threaten:

It's important that, first and foremost, we threaten the Pokemon and strategies that our core has no answer to. In general, the degree to which a Pokemon threatens Latias and Lucario should be the degree to which CAP18 threatens that Pokemon.

Ghost-type Pokemon: Aegislash, Gengar
Fairy-type Pokemon: Clefable, Mawile predominantly. Togekiss, Sylveon and Azumarill to somewhat lesser extents.
Some Fire-type Pokemon: Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, Talonflame to a much lesser extent.
Bug-type Pokemon: Scizor, Forretress, Volcarona.
Ground-type Pokemon*: Landorus-Therian, Hippowdon, Excadrill.

When I say "to a lesser extent", I mean that CAP 18 should be a threatening presence to this Pokemon, but it should not be an ultra-reliable counter. CAP18 should perform well against every Pokemon on this list, but that doesn't mean CAP18 needs to unconditionally switch into and force out these Pokemon. It should likely be able to do one or the other, but countering all of these Pokemon is neither feasible nor recommended.

CAP18 should be able to handle, either by switching in or 1v1, the Pokemon that defeat at least one of our core members that the other one cannot switch into. For example, Mega Charizard X is a Pokemon that defeats Lucario 1v1 that Latias can't switch into. If Multiscale is active, so is Dragonite. Gyarados, before it Mega Evolves, fits this bill.

*With a weakness to Ground, this will be a difficult task. We should threaten these Pokemon as well as we can, but we should not expect to counter Ground-types, but rather defeat them 1v1.

Pokemon CAP18 should be threatened by:

We should be okay with CAP 18 losing to Pokemon that the rest of our core handles well. For example, Latias is a tremendous answer to Rotom-W, and CAP18 is weak to Electric and does not have a STAB that can hit Rotom-W even neutrally. Rotom-W isn't particularly bothered by Fire- and Water-type support options, so making Rotom-W anything other than a threat to CAP18 is fitting a square peg into a round hole. Keldeo is a similar example, although Keldeo is so commonly paired with Pursuit Aegislash (the bane of this core) that it's not safe to let Keldeo counter this CAP.

Bulky Waters: Rotom-W, Keldeo to a much smaller extent.
Bulky Dragons: Latias, Latios, Goodra.
Walls with minimal offensive presence: Chansey, Blissey.

Pokemon not on either of our threatlists should be overly specifically threatening or threatened by CAP 18. Just because a Pokemon is not in the second list doesn't mean it is our prerogative to beat it. The same goes with Pokemon not in the first list: we shouldn't be expected to lose to every Pokemon that we don't threaten.
Typing: Fire / Water
Abilities: Analytic / ??? / ???

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Now it's time for the subs!

Here is the tl;dr version:

Do: provide valid competitive reasoning for your spread and distinguish it from others already mentioned in this thread.
Don't: submit a spread very similar to a previously mentioned spread without at least calling attention to the reasons behind the differences.
If you're looking for extra information, the most important thing in any submission to win me over and get slated is to understand what calcs are relevant and what calcs aren't. Experiment with EV spreads too! Simple 252/252/4 spreads are hardly always optimal. Factor in many different things, from hazards, to chances of defense drops, even down to Sand damage if you want to. Gameplay situations are complex and not as simple as "if we can't OHKO Heatran with Hydro Pump, we're not powerful enough" or whatever. In the course of battle the ideal clean breaks don't happen as often as you think.

Second, don't worry about a "pretty" spread with all 5s and 0s. While I definitely have fallen victim to this before, it's not necessary and will not be considered when I make my slate. Just give reasons.

Third, don't you dare use a dump stat for BSR abuse. As Korski said above, it will not be tolerated.

Fourth, I was very serious about distinguishing your spread. There is a LOT of leeway here (though still not as much as some had hoped) and if I see 4 or 5 near identical spreads, I don't want to have to make that choice of which to slate and which to leave behind. Furthermore, diverse submissions drive discussion in this thread and keep it from being just a list of submisssions, which is very important.

Fifth, if you feel "cheated" because your ideas were already taken by someone else and you now look like you're copying them, understand that your job should be to comment and critique that submission and help it improve. Should there be resistance to change, then by all means feel free to submit your version of those ideas. But don't submit those same ideas because you want to win. CAP is a communal project and everyone wins when a good stat spread wins so do try to help each other out. To that end, know that the majority of discussion happens in real time on the #cap channel on IRC and relying solely on the forums for a stage like stat submissions means you might be missing out on a good amount of the debate.

Sixth, those discussions I mentioned earlier? Yeah they are super important for this reason: they make it easier for the voting public to know what to vote for. At the end of the day even the best-written stat sub is largely an overwhelming list of calculations and descriptions that after reading about 3 submissions your eyes start to water. Comments and criticism are much easier to digest and are vital to having both an educated slate and an educated voting public.

Finally, as a general policy I will try to represent the variety of ideas submitted here in as proportional of a method as possible to the support the ideas have from the community, but also important will be my personal perception of the quality of the arguments. I would like to rely solely on community support, but I do reserve the right to slate/not slate something if I view it as beneficial/harmful to the project should such a situation arise.

I will try to post commentary on each final submission as we go along. WIP posts are not only allowed but encouraged! Users who have been on IRC know the general build I personally prefer, but I would like to stress here that I will NOT solely be slating spreads that meet my personal wishes. All well-argued submissions that receive some community support will be considered for slating.

The stats stage is now very much in your hands. Not only are these your submissions, but you all will (hopefully) do most of the discussing too. I don't want to see just a wall of submissions with no critique! I've got faith in y'all to produce some excellent work. I've always been impressed with CAP stats subs and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

110 HP / 47 Atk / 65 Def / 147 SpA / 95 SpD / 76 Spe
(540 BST)

PT: 121.0118655 (Above Average)
ST: 174.2809712 (Very Good)
PS: 67.24315867 (Poor)
SS: 184.3144405 (Excellent)
BSR: 295.2651785 (Good)

Physical Bulk

The physical bulk on this spread was chosen with a few specific things in mind. While special bulk was definitely prioritized first, there are a few important things that this amount of bulk will let us survive. Chief among the calculations that was done to determine the Defense was the damage taken from a Choice Band Azumarill. With 110/61 bulk, Azumarill will fail to ever OHKO a 252/0 spread with Waterfall. Of course, if Azumarill is choiced and we want to get in on it, it is likely it could be using Play Rough. Should this be the case, 110/61 could potentially be 2HKOd, which is not ideal. By bumping up the Defense by 4 points to 65, this spread insures that, should CAP18 be running 248 HP and holding leftovers, CB Azumarill can never net a 2HKO with Play Rough.

Another calculation of note involves taking an Earthquake from Hippowdon. Part of what we decided we wanted to do with this CAP is threaten ground types. However, due to having a typing weak to ground, that is not really possible to do defensively, for the most part. Rather, if we are to threaten them, we need the power to do so. However, there is one notable ground type that is significantly weaker than the rest, due to going defensive, and that is one we are guaranteed to outspeed: Hippowdon. Being able to be an emergency switch into to Hippo is a nice advantage, even if we would generally prefer not to switch into it. With this spread, should CAP18 run an EV spread of 248 HP / 8 Def, it will never be OHKOed by 4 Atk Hippo Earthquake, even factoring in Sandstorm damage. As a side note, due to this calc only being true with a 248/8 spread, I have used this spread in place of 252/4 or 252/0 in any calc assuming CAP18 will be fully HP invested.

One other important physical hit that this spread had in mind was that of a Shadow Sneak from 4 Atk Aegislash. While I will get into more detail on Aegislash in the section on special bulk, suffice it to say that, with invested HP and leftovers, CAP18 would be able to tank a Shadow Ball and force Aegi out, then tank another one later, while still having enough physical bulk left to never fall to a Shadow Sneak.

Unfortunately, within the constraints of the stats it is impossible to do everything, and one place where there seems to be a less than ideal matchup would be against Mega Mawile, whose Sucker Punch would easily OHKO at +2. Yet, I believe this to be a very acceptable loss, as the abilty to threaten a burn that fire types typically possess will make Mawile think twice before going for the Sucker Punch. The ridiculous amount of bulk that would be needed to stop Mawile seems like an acceptable loss when you put it in hot water with the threat of a burn should it risk staying in in the first place.

Overall, for the most part, this physical bulk is designed to take a small number of specific hits, while not being overly bulky. Not a lot of things in OU can OHKO it on the physical side without a super effective hit, but at the same time, it cannot wall any physical hits without a resistance to help, forcing us to depend a lot more on the offensive pressure we can put on to shape things to our favor.

Calcs mentioned above:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 334-394 (78.9 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 188-222 (44.4 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 336-396 (79.4 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 87-103 (20.5 - 24.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 130-153 (30.7 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 462-544 (109.2 - 128.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 390-459 (92.1 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power burned Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 195-229 (46 - 54.1%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Other Pokemon on list to threaten:

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 300-354 (70.9 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 132-156 (31.2 - 36.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 302-356 (71.3 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Scizor U-turn vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 98-116 (23.1 - 27.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

0- Atk Forretress Rapid Spin vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 17-21 (4 - 4.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Pokemon on list to be threatened by:

252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 195-229 (46 - 54.1%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 212-251 (50.1 - 59.3%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def CAP18: 239-282 (56.5 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Special Bulk

The ability to take special hits was one of the most important parts of this stat spread, considering the threat that Aegislash poses to our core. If we want to properly support our partners, then it seems to me that it is an absolute necessity that we be able to switch into its most threatening set, not just once, but twice, and be able to deal with it. In practical terms, this means being able to switch into a 252+ Shadow Ball and either kill it or force it out. Then, after factoring Leftovers recovery on the switch in and the following turn, we should have enough HP so that if we switch out immediately, we should be able to switch into a Shadow Ball again later, and after accounting for Lefties, have enough HP left to survive a Shadow Sneak.

With special bulk of 110/95, 252+ Aegislash Shadow Ball does a maximum damage of 198. With a spread of 248/0, CAP18 would have 423 HP, and be healing 26 HP per turn from leftovers. Even if two Shadow Balls do maximum damage, assuming Aegi was forced out between Shadow Balls, we will be at 105 HP remaining. With 8 Def EVs, 4 Atk Shadow Sneak can only do a maximum of 103, leaving us with at least 2 HP. Now obviously that is not a ton of wiggle room, but, barring crits, there is no way the standard Aegi is getting around this, and the lack of said wiggle room only exists if Aegi is getting max or near max damage rolls on every attack. Should it get lower rolls, we will have a lot more room to work with. That's not even taking into account movepools with the potential for other ways of healing.

Looking at other threats, Gengar is mostly dealt with in the same manner. Its attacks are weaker than Aegislash's Shadow Ball, though it has the advantage of being faster, meaning it can get off two attacks. Even so, it is usually best served by switching out. This spread even takes care of some of the hax that could occur switching into Gengar. Assuming 252 Timid Gengar, a Sludge Bomb Poison will not do enough to allow a second Sludge Bomb to ever KO. Additionally, even if you switch into a Shadow Ball SpD drop, it would take that Shadow Ball and a following Sludge Wave to be at max damage rolls for it to make a difference (and if you are that worried about it, a meager 4 EVs in SpD prevents even that).

As far as the rest of things on our threats list, the only ones that really can do much to CAP18 at all are Heatran and Mega Charizard Y. However, neither SpD Heatran nor a Timid CharY can threaten any better than a 3HKO.

Looking at things from the other direction, the things that we want to threaten us all can still do so with this bulk. As already outlined in the physical bulk calculations, Keldeo, Latios and Latias can all 2HKO with their Defense hitting special moves. The Latis can also break CAP 18 with powerful Draco Meteors. Of the others on our list, the pink blobs can't do much, but then we can't do anything back, while they support their team, making it a matchup loss for CAP18. Both Rotom-W and Goodra on the other hand, also fail to provide major offensive pressure in return, but are able to hit us harder than we can hit in return, keeping their ability to check or counter CAP18 in tact.

Specific calcs from above

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 168-198 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 154-183 (36.4 - 43.2%) -- 98.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 154-183 (36.4 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and poison damage
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 162-192 (38.2 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 136-162 (32.1 - 38.2%) -- 1.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. -1 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 244-288 (57.6 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Other Pokemon on the list to threaten

4 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 170-202 (40.1 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 338-398 (79.9 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP 18 158-187 (37.3 - 44.2%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 96-114 (22.6 - 26.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 87-102 (20.5 - 24.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 100-118 (23.6 - 27.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 72-84 (17 - 19.8%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 146-172 (34.5 - 40.6%) -- 55.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 51-61 (12 - 14.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 186-220 (43.9 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 257-304 (60.7 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-2 252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 129-152 (30.4 - 35.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 289-341 (68.3 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-2 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 144-172 (34 - 40.6%) -- 43.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 168-198 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Goodra Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD CAP18: 202-238 (47.7 - 56.2%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
As a note on all defensive calculations, you will notice that I did not include the possibility of Stealth Rock. The reasoning for this is because I felt that it would be simply impossible to achieve all the desired defensive benchmarks, taking it into account, while still being able to provide everything else we want out of stats. To give some examples, a 248/8/0 defensive spread would certainly lose the ability to tank two Shadow Balls and a Sneak from Aegislash, should Stealth Rock be up. The amount of bulk needed for that would be absolutely absurd. As such, I think it is absolutely necessary to assume that SR is cleared. Since we are supposed to be partnered with Latias, the reliance on Defoging is actually a partial positive, in my opinion, so I am not overly concerned about things like SR turning CB Azumarill Play Rough into a 2HKO, especially when, for things like that, we still pack the offensive presence to force and punish switches.

Special Attack

Of all the stats that CAP18 needs, I think Special Attack is by far the most important. Our typing, ability and the checks we chose all were done under the impression of being a pokemon with great offensive presence. Since one of our most important goals is beating Aegislash, a Pokemon so ridiculously bulky in its defensive form, we need to have incredible power if we are to break it. At the same time, we need to be able to take hits back from it, so I have a hard time believing we would want to sacrifice bulk for an offensive item. As such, I really believe we need an offensive stat that can put on severe pressure without having to give up lefties, and a stat of 147 does that wonderfully.

With 252 SpA and a Modest nature, base 147 allows CAP18 to OHKO 252/0 Shield Form Aegislash over two thirds of the time, without any prior damage. In other words, no sane Aegislash would stay in to take that hit. But that is why I think this stat truely shines. The reason we chose Analytic as an ability was to punish switch ins. It doesn't matter if we can kill Aegislash if it can just switch out for free each time. What we need to do is make players not want their Aegislash in play, so long as CAP18 is alive to break something. By giving CAP18 an incredible Special Attack stat, we let it nuke something every time it can force Aegislash, or one of the other things that threaten our core, out of the battle.

To give an example of the kind of power that we would get on forced switches, lets take a look at what happens if Garchomp tried to switch in. Garchomp is a Pokemon that can be quite threatening to CAP18 if it is in, and Lucario doesn't appreciate it much either. While Latias can handle it, it can't switch in freely. So, it getting in on CAP18 would not be ideal. However, if it switches into a CAP18 Fire Blast, it is losing around 45% of its health, minimum. Furthermore, if CAP18's player predicted correctly and used Hydro Pump, Garchomp could be eliminated right then and there. Unless a Pokemon is both very bulky and packs a resist, they will be hard pressed to switch into CAP18, and that is what I believe is the single most important weapon for us to have.

At the same time, while the power is great, it is not so great as to let us blow through our dedicated checks. Chansey, for example, is only lightly dented, no matter what moves we pack, taking a max of just over 30% from Analytic Fire Blast, and also being slower, eliminating Analytic from there on out. So, while 147 is certainly powerful, it is not so ridiculous as to screw with the things that limit us to our chosen role.

Finally, another advantage of such large an SpA stat is that it allows us to get some key KOs, without even needing full SpA investment. If you personally are worried more about fast offensive Aegislash, or want to invest more in bulk to be a better Heatran switchin, you can do so without losing the ability to fill the power role we need. Of course, doing so definitely has its downsides, as, for example, the KO on Aegislash was never 100% to begin with, and losing SpA makes it even more likely to survive. Still, not all losses are bad. For example, even if one were to go max special bulk, and thus have 0 SpA EVs, CAP18 would still have a guaranteed OHKO on Gengar. Alternatively, lets say you want bulk, but you decide you want to invest enough in speed to beat out fast Aegislash, making your spread something like 248 HP / 8 Def / 40 SpA / 212 Speed with a modest nature. With 40+ SpA, said Aegislash will always be OHKOd.

Specific calcs from above

252+ SpA CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 306-360 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Analytic CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 161-189 (44.9 - 52.7%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Analytic CAP18 Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 322-379 (89.9 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Analytic CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 180-213 (25.5 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 SpA Analytic CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 273-322 (104.1 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

40+ SpA CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 264-312 (101.1 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Other Pokemon on the list to threaten

252+ SpA CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 168-198 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Analytic CAP18 Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 248-294 (83.2 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Analytic CAP18 Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 390-458 (101 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA CAP18 Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 300-354 (77.7 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
40+ SpA CAP18 Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 260-308 (67.3 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Analytic CAP18 Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 296-350 (76.6 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Analytic CAP18 Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 414-488 (132.6 - 156.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 792-936 (230.2 - 272%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Analytic CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 1348-1588 (391.8 - 461.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA CAP18 Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 396-468 (103.6 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 470-554 (129.8 - 153%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 216-255 (33.6 - 39.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
40+ SpA Analytic CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 126-148 (19.6 - 23%) -- possible 5HKO
0 SpA Analytic CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 109-130 (16.9 - 20.2%) -- possible 5HKO

252+ SpA CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 168-198 (23.5 - 27.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Analytic CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 66-78 (17.1 - 20.3%) -- possible 5HKO
2+ SpA Analytic CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Goodra: 98-116 (25.5 - 30.2%) -- 0.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Analytic CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 112-132 (37 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (after Leftovers recovery)
40+ SpA Analytic CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 97-114 (32.1 - 37.7%) -- 94.5% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Analytic CAP18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 85-101 (28.1 - 33.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

Attack

Physical power is about the only thing that we do not care about in the slightest, so I don't have a ton to say about this stat. However, while it is not really anything competitive, I do just want to take a second to explain why I chose 47, from a flavor prospective. When I was thinking about Special Attack stats, one of the reasons I chose 147 specifically, instead of 146 or 148 or something else in there was because of precedent for a stat of that number on Haxorus. When looking at Attack stat later on, I noticed that not only does 47 make a nice pair with the SpA, being exactly 100 lower, but it also, with everything else taken into account, made my BST 540, which is again the exact same as Haxorus. I liked this flavor link, so I decided to stick with it. Competitively though, the stat is useless, so no calcs here (unless someone requests something).

Also, for what its worth, I just want to say that while 47 is low, this is in no way any form of BSR abuse. I could have made it as high as 76 and it would still have been legal, and even past there, it would only be illegal because the PS would be too high, not the BSR.

Speed

Speed is always an important stat on any Pokemon, and CAP18 is not an exception. However, with us needing great bulk and awesome power, Speed has to take a back seat to these other stats. Even so, there a lot that can be done with it, and I believe that a stat of 76 allows us to do most of what we want to do with our speed, without forcing us to give up qualities elsewhere.

The absolute most important thing that any speed stat we are looking at needs to have is to outspeed Aegislash. If we can't outspeed it, then we end up having to deal with powerful Shadow Balls more often, rather than weak Shadow Sneaks. It is absolutely crucial to outspeed Aegi, and it is also fairly important to not just do it by a point or two to let it easily speed creep us. With that said, I don't think we need to necessarily outspeed every variety of Aegislash without any investment. Should we choose not to invest, then fast Aegi could outspeed. However, in most functional scenarios, that just lets it get in one more hit before getting absolutely obliterated. Additionally, an offensive Aegi would typically have a Life Orb, meaning it is not that durable, and so not nearly the same problem for our core. Regardless though, 76 is high enough above Aegi to allow players to customize spreads around it should they want to. 212 EVs with a neutral nature will always outspeed 252+ Aegi, for instance, leaving a 292 EVs for offenses or bulk.

Moving past Aegislash, the other two most important Pokemon I took into account with this stat were Excadrill and Heatran, and in opposite ways. Excadrill is a threat to our core, for sure, but not so much that it is worth giving up bulk to outspeed it naturally. While none of our core can safely switch in on it, it is not the greatest threat to either of our other two mons if they are already in (bar Scarf Exca on Luke). As such, outspeeding it is not really a priority. Still, it can be troublesome, so completely giving up to it is not idea. Therefore, I wanted at stat that would naturally underspeed it, but had the ability to outspeed Adamant Excadrill, should the player choose a Timid nature.

The specific reasons for 76, of all the stats that can do the above, is that it is the only one that also underspeeds Heatran. Why excatly is underspeeding it important? Because of Analytic. As mentioned above in the bulk section, SpD Heatran fails to 2HKO with Earth Power. As such, it is possible for us to be a check for it. However, if we outspeed it, even with 252+ SpA, we fail to KO it. When factoring in Hydro Pump accuracy and other potential negatives, you are much more reliably going to beat it if you underspeed it so Analytic lets you OHKO.

By going with 76 speed, we give players options. 0 Speed EVs to focus on Bulk and OHKO Heatran. A few speed points to outspeed Heatran and hit it before it can attack back, or possibly even OHKO it with an offensive item. 212 to always beat out Aegislash. 252+ To outspeed Adamant Excadrill. Or maybe some other benchmark in between such as outspeeding Mega Tyranitar or Bisharp. I think this number does a great job letting us pick what is most important to outspeed, while still staying low enough so that we can maintain focus elsewhere in stats.

Final Summary

Overall, the goal with this spread was to make it so that CAP18 could switch into key attacks and threaten with awesome power in return, making the Pokemon whom it threatens scared to come in in the fist place. At the same time, the goal in speed was to let it outspeed a number of common threats, but have it be up to the player to choose which threats are important to beat, as bulk is too important to give up without a conscious player choice. While there are obviously still some Pokemon that could stop this spread cold, I would like to believe that those are limited only to what we wanted to be threatened by, which are pokemon our core can solidly handle, allowing CAP18 to not only offensively support Latias and Lucario, but also depend on their support as well, helping it fit right in.

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission:
98 HP / 41 Atk / 79 Def / 126 SpA / 108 SpD / 103 Spe
(555 BST)

PT: 134.89 (Good)
ST: 182.26 (Excellent)
PS: 69.15 (Poor)
SS: 207.45 (Fantastic)
BSR: 325.24 (Very Good)

General Notes:

HP:

98 HP Sets CAP 18 to a maximum HP of 400, which gives it a decent base of bulk, but prevents it from setting up 101HP Subs and thereby thwarting the blobs that use Seismic Toss to wear opponents down. It also sets cap at a minimum of 337 HP and a maximum of 400, meaning it rests exactly 1 point below taking an additional point of Stealth Rock damage at the low end, and uses 248 HP EVs to avoid it at the high end.

Speed:

103 Speed is enough to outrun Garchomp and threats like Mega Charizard X/Y, and specifically allows our CAP to run a Choice Scarf itself to revenge kill Scarf Garchomp or +1 Zard X, Pokemon that present a problem for both Latias and Lucario. 103 Speed also allows CAP to outspeed Jolly Excadrill while keeping a Modest Nature so the power difference is not so different between this and other spreads.

One other thing - it was mentioned in threads that moving after Heatran allows us to pick up an Analytic boost against it. For those so inclined, a Quiet CAP with 0 Spe IVs is slower than Modest Heatran by exactly 1 point.

Analytic and Speed:

Analytic is an excellent ability at this Speed because it falls squarely between the range just above some fairly bulky threats (Garchomp being the most obvious, but basically all Megas seem to like 100 Spe and bulk) and just below some fairly frail threats (Musketeers, Gengar, etc.) Rather than shooting for a OHKO with an overly inflated offensive stat, it does less damage on the initial hit, but can followup for a KO on the bulkier threats. Nothing wants to eat Analytic AND Life Orb at the same time, and anything that can take it doesn't want to eat another Life Orb boosted hit. It should also be noted that many metagame threats are notorious for priority, and Analytic activates against those threats as well. As long as Aegislash can't finish CAP off with Shadow Sneak, using it just invites Aegislash to an immediate KO in its Blade forme and Azumarill to a hard hit after its Aqua Jet.

The Spreads:

As many of you know, when I create stats I always have specific spreads in mind. For this stat spread, an offensive Life Orb or Choice Scarf spread provides necessary offensive pressure on opponents, while a bulkier Leftovers oriented spread allows CAP to make the most out of Analytic while also pivoting into undesirable attacks for the core. Because CAP is bulkier physically than Latias, it can take some of the neutral attacks Latias would prefer not to. I'll let the calculations do the talking here.
Offensive: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def, Timid &Life Orb / Leftovers
337 HP / 106 Atk / 195 Def / 351 SpA / 252 SpD / 335 Spe

Aegislash:
Vs. 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD Leftovers Aegislash:
Analytic OR LO Fire Blast vs Aegislash: 99.3 - 117.9% (93.8% chance to OHKO. 100% with Hazards)
Analytic OR LO Earth Power vs Aegislash: 54.6 - 64.1% (Guaranteed 2HKO)
Unboosted Lava Plume vs Aegislash: 55.5 - 65.4% (Guaranteed 2HKO)

252+ Unboosted Shadow Ball vs CAP: 44.5 - 52.5% [AVG 48.5%] (19.1% chance to 2HKO against LO w/o hazards, Cannot 2HKO against Leftovers w/out hazards)
Shadow Sneak vs CAP: 22.2 - 26.1% [AVG 24.15]
Sacred Sword: 33.2 - 39.1% (3HKO Against LO, 10.9% Chance of 3HKO against Leftovers)
Average SR (25%) + Shadow Ball (48.5%) + Shadow Sneak (24.5%) does not KO, but is not impossible with highest damage rolls.

As you can see, CAP fares extremely well against bulky Aegislash, even with an offensive set. Being able to OHKO it outright with great certainty, to threaten with Lava Plume if using an offensive spread with Leftovers. Aegislash cannot switch into it at all, and CAP can switch into Aegislash with little difficulty, as it has a great deal of leeway.

Mega Mawile:
Vs Standard Mega Mawile:
Play Rough: 49.8 - 58.7% (Guaranteed 2HKO)
Sucker Punch: 59 - 69.7% (Guaranteed 2HKO)

Unboosted Fire Blast: 120.3 - 142.1% (OHKO)
LO or Analytic Lava Plume: 113.8 - 134.2% (OHKO)
LO or Analytic Earth Power: 85.5 - 100.9% (Can OHKO w/ Spikes)
LO or Analytic Hydro Pump: 78.2 - 92.4% (Can OHKO w/ Spikes)

Suffice it to say, if this spread is switching into Mega Mawile, burn that thing on sight. Mercifully, Mawile can't switch in to CAP at all without getting nuked, as even Hydro Pump puts it in KO terrirory if SR is on the field, though Spikes is much safer.

Garchomp:
Vs. Standard Scarfchomp:

LO Analytic Hydro Pump: 95.2 - 112.2% (68.8% chance to OHKO, OHKO w/ hazards)
LO Analytic Dragon Pulse: 98.8 - 116.2% (87.5% chance to OHKO, OHKO with hazards)
LO or Analytic Scald: 53 - 62.8% (Guaranteed 2HKO)
Unboosted Hydro Pump: 54.7 - 64.8% (Guaranteed 2HKO)

252 Atk Earthquake: 117.5 - 138.8% (Guaranteed OHKO)
252 Atk Dragon Claw: 47.1 - 55.4% (75% 2HKO)

Garchomp is a tough one to crack, but Scarf Hydro Pump can 2HKO it. If CAP is slower with Life Orb, it needs Spikes or SR support to do the job, or to run Dragon Pulse. Needless to say, Garchomp is still very dangerous as a revenge killer. Burning it will cut its power, but it is still a very dangerous threat to the core, but not one an offensive CAP is entirely unable to handle.

Clefable:
vs. Calm Clefable

LO Fire Blast / Hydro Pump: 44.4 - 52.7% (3HKO after Leftovers recovery)
LO Sludge Wave: 52 - 61.4% (94.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)

Suffice it to say, SpD oriented Clefable with Toxic can stall out our offensive spread CAP to some extent, and it's Thunder Wave will activate Analytic, which easily brings these numbers into line for a 2HKO (or for Leftovers variants, allows Sludge Wave to power through, it needs to hit 54% twice)
Defensive: 24 HP / 136 Def / 212 SpA / 136 Spe, Modest &Life Orb / Leftovers
343 HP / 106 Atk / 228 Def / 375 SpA / 252 SpD / 276 Spe

This spread invests more in bulk to take strong physical attacks like Mega Mawile's Play Rough, with enough Speed to outrun Adamant Excadrill. The Modest nature gives it more firepower than the offensive spread. Incidentally, if you're wondering why Excadrill calcs aren't appearing, the key notes are Earthquake OHKO's CAP, and all of CAP's relevant STABs OHKO Excadrill. The mon that attacks first (or from behind a Sub) wins.

Aegislash:
Vs. 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD Leftovers Aegislash:
Analytic OR LO Fire Blast vs Aegislash: 105.8 - 125.3% (OHKO)
Analytic OR LO Earth Power vs Aegislash: 58.6 - 69.1% (2HKO
Unboosted Lava Plume vs Aegislash: 59.2 - 70.3% (Guaranteed 2HKO)

252+ Unboosted Shadow Ball vs CAP: 43.7 - 51.6% [AVG 47.65%] (25.8% to 2HKO against LO w/o hazards, Cannot 2HKO against Leftovers w/out hazards)
Shadow Sneak vs CAP: 18.6 - 22.1% [AVG 20.35]
SR (25%) + Shadow Ball (51.6) + Shadow Sneak (22.1) cannot KO, even on max damage rolls.
Sacred Sword: 27.9 - 32.9% (4HKO)

The only difference here is that Aegislash can be roasted instantaneously without question, and SR + Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak cannot KO even under ideal conditions for Aegislash.

Mega Mawile:
Vs Standard Mega Mawile:
Play Rough: 41.8 - 49.2% (Guaranteed 3HKO)
Sucker Punch: 49.5 - 58.6% (Guaranteed 2HKO)
Play Rough + Sucker Punch cannot KO without hazards.

Unboosted Fire Blast: 128.2 - 151.9% (OHKO)
LO or Analytic Lava Plume: 111.1 - 131.5% (OHKO)
Unboosted Lava Plume: 94.7 - 111.1% (62.5% chance to OHKO, OHKO w/ hazards)
LO or Analytic Earth Power: 91.4 - 107.8% (50% chance to OHKO. Can OHKO with Spikes)
LO or Analytic Hydro Pump: 83.2 - 98.6% (37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)

This spread is much better at switching into Mega Mawile for the burn, and can avoid a Play Rough + Sucker Punch KO, allowing it to force out Mega Mawile or burn it or whatever is sent in after it.

Garchomp:
Vs. Standard Scarfchomp:

LO Analytic Hydro Pump: 101.6 - 119.8% (OHKO)
LO Analytic Dragon Pulse: 105.3 - 124.3% (OHKO)
LO or Analytic Scald: 56.9 - 67.5% (Guaranteed 2HKO)
Analytic Hydro Pump: 78.4 - 92.4% (Guaranteed 2HKO, Can OHKO w/ Spikes)

252 Atk Earthquake: 98.5 - 117.2% (93.8% chance to OHKO)
252 Atk Dragon Claw: 39.3 - 46.6% (3HKO)

Garchomp is immediately KO'd if it switches in to Life Orb Hydro Pump or a Dragon Pulse, which is what makes the power increase worth it. It also makes a Substitute set very scary, as even though CAP will lose HP fast, it can remove threats to the core one by one.

Clefable:
vs. Calm Clefable

LO or Analytic Fire Blast / Hydro Pump: 47.7 - 56.8% (37.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)
LO or Analytic Sludge Wave: 55.3 - 65.2% (Guaranteed 2HKO)

SpD Clefable is still a hassle, but with this set, Sludge Wave's 2HKO is assured with a Life Orb or an Analytic boost from being paralyzed. Fortunately, this Clefable is much easier for the rest of the core to handle, whereas physically defensive Clefables are handled by CAP with little difficulty.
Other Traits:
Weaknesses and Looking Forward:

With a Stealth Rock weakness and is susceptible to Spikes, every defensive calculation should be taken with a grain of salt except for those that explicitly account for it. Because CAP is so fast, a Recovery move would improve its bulk, but as it is not that powerful without an analytic boost (at least against opponents neutral or resistant to its STABs), any time it spends recovering is a time it can't exploit the extra Analytic damage on a switch. Running a slower, bulky spread would reverse this, but CAPs physical bulk is still midling, and it really can't take strong STAB physical attacks, especially not Earthquake or Stone Edge.

It could be argued that CAP can use its Speed and Recovery along with Will-O-Wisp to minimize that problem. I agree, but burning is one of the best things that can be done to support this core. Lucario's resistances are of little help against even decently strong attackers, and Latias can definitely tank more hits against Burned opponents. Burn also provides the residual damage Lucario needs to score KOs if Latias has removed hazards with Defog.

Higher Speed and lower relative power also make CAP very susceptible to paralysis. The Analytic boost is nice, but at the cost of moving second or not moving at all is often too steep a price to pay against Pokemon that can threaten it.
Build Triangle:
This spread is quite balanced on the whole for the simple reason that one of our major tasks is competently confronting Aegislash. Aegislash is a Pokemon that would, by nature of the way it plays, be considered both Bulky and Powerful. So it might be argued our CAP also needs to be Bulky and Powerful to stave it off.

I think this misses the mark though, because so many of the other threats require our CAP to be fast, or at least "fast enough." Therefore this spread is built to focus on Fast and Powerful. Even the Defensive Spread runs significant Speed EVs to outrun a set that is a threat to our selected core, emphasizing clearly that the focus here is on being Fast and Powerful. What is most notable is that although this spread has more PT than most others, it still can't muscle through Mega Mawile without defensive investment, as Play Rough + Sucker Punch will KO. While CAP could go full bulky and wall it more effectively, it does so as the cost of being fast or powerful. The Build Triangle does account for the general theme of stats, but it's inadequate for describing investment and item choices. Life Orb makes a Pokemon much more powerful, with Assault Vest makes a Pokemon much more specially Bulky.

It should also be noted that this CAP is less fast and less powerful than a number of sweepers, Keldeo being the closest comparison. While this makes a set like Choice Scarf less viable, I have always believed in making spreads that allow multiple strategies to be viable in the playtest, so that we can test how counters shift. This spread's investment-dependent nature accomplishes this goal well.

Conclusion:

This stat spread combines enough Speed to outrun a very troublesome metagame threat in Garchomp, while also providing the offensive prowess and bulk necessary to turn away Aegislash. Put together, this stat spread is extremely hard to switch into - the extra damage from Analytic combined with the great possibility CAP can attack a second time makes this the best spread to bring offensive pressure to the OU metagame. What balances this spread out is that it must choose between enough bulk to stave off the extremely strong physically attacking fairies, and enough Speed to get the second strike against some of the less direct targets, namely threats like Mega Charizard X and Y. Nonetheless, both of these spreads use Analytic's ability to pressure extremely well, and the CAP has just enough bulk to do what it needs to do, and nothing more. There are other potential spreads that can save a KO here or there, but I feel these two represent the most relevant spreads to achieving our objectives with stats.

This spread is Fast, it's Powerful - and it threatens what we want to threaten while being threatened by what we want to threaten it. It should be your choice to complete our core.

Last edited:
95 HP / 48 Atk / 87 Def/ 137 SpA / 100 SpD / 78 Spe (545 BST)

PT: 144.1716 (Good)
ST: 165.986 (Very Good)
PS: 68.627 (Poor)
SS: 174.053 (Excellent)
BSR: 299.148(Good)

This spread gives it good Physical Tankiness and with some investment (126 HP/ 146 Def/ 232 SpA EVs) can beat standard Conkeldurr, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir every time even with rocks up. With its high Special Tankiness it can also go full Special tank depending on what the team needs. The Special Attack stat gives CAP a decent chance to One-hit KO Aegislash with Fire Blast unboosted, without making the numbers it achieves after an Analytic buff too oppressive. 545 seemed like a good BST to aim for since it's the average BST of all CAP projects so far. Will run more Calcs later.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
95 HP / 50 Atk / 85 Def / 125 SpA / 95 SpD / 90 Spe (540 BST)

PT: 140.976 (Good)
ST: 158.073 (Very Good)
PS: 76.5117 (Below Average)
SS: 183.098 (Excellent)
BSR: 302.9255 (Excellent)

95/85/95 defences give CAP 18 enough bulkiness to compensate for a Stealth Rock weakness and allow it to take a Shadow Ball from Gengar and OHKO with an Analytic Fire Blast/Hydro Pump off base 125 Special Attack in return.

125 Special Attack may seem a bit arbitrary, but it will allow Fire Blasts and Hydro Pumps to 2HKO a decent chunk of the tier - particularly with an Analytic boost and a Life Orb.

Here are some calculations of how powerful Life Orb attacks will hit:

252+ SpA Life Orb CAP 18 Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 351-416 (108.3 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic CAP 18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 411-485 (156.8 - 185.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb CAP 18 Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 235-278 (56.7 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

EDIT: Will elaborate further later.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

108 HP / 42 Atk / 85 Def / 128 SpA / 108 SpD / 89 Spe (560 BST)

PT: 153.92 (Very Good)
ST: 194.31 (Excellent)
PS: 65.27 (Poor)
SS: 180.63 (Excellent)
BSR: 325.94 (Very Good)

This stat distribution turns the CAP into somewhat of a bulky middle ground compared to most of the other spreads, which isn't particularly powerful or fast, but maintains a good balance between both elements. Its ability to take hits, dish out damage, or outspeed and cripple opposing Pokemon entirely depends on its item and the distribution of its EVs. It can do all of these things decently with any set, but an offensive set compromises its defensive prowess and vice-versa.
It is obviously meant to deal primarily with Pokemon that threaten the core. However, it can also be tailored to deal with specific threats to the core better, but in doing so, it loses the ability to deal with others. The choice of which variant to use depends on the 3 other members of the team more than anything else. If your team doesn't need to check Ground-types but needs something that can counter Gengar decently, a bulky set is preferred over an offensive one.

An offensive Timid spread with 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD EVs and a Life Orb enables the CAP to have quite a bit of firepower and be decently fast and, thanks to its natural bulk, it can still live a few hits. However, Life Orb still compromises its bulk, but it is crucial for the CAP to have enough power to KO what it wants to. The most important thing a Timid nature does is being able to outspeed and OHKO Jolly Excadrill. However, that is the only real reason to use Timid over Modest, and the latter will generally be preferred, since it secures important KOs. Whichever nature it chooses, Offensive CAP still has a good mix of bulk and power. Most notably, it can live a Shadow Ball followed by a Shadow Sneak from 0 Atk / 252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash. If the Aegislash in question is carrying Leftovers, the CAP can survive 2 Shadow Balls (however, not after factoring in one turn of Life Orb damage, so this fact is only relevant it the CAP misses his first Fire Blast). After Stealth Rock, it can live a Shadow Ball followed by a Shadow Sneak from Leftovers Aegislash. It can also survive a Waterfall from Choice Banded Azumarill, as long as Stealth Rocks are not on the field (and, by extension, Waterfall+Aqua Jet from Leftovers or Assault Vest Azumarill). It can counter Offensive Volcarona after a Quiver Dance, surviving a super-effective Hidden Power and OHKOing in return with Hydro Pump. This spread is able to check all variants of Clefable that aren't Specially Defensive, unless they have already used Calm Mind. It can counter it as long as it doesn't use Calm Mind as the CAP switches in. It can also counter both Physically Defensive and Offensive Togekiss. It can also counter Mega Scizor, surviving a Knock Off at +2.

As stated above, a Modest CAP can do a large number of things that a Timid CAP cannot. For instance, it can deal 50% damage to a physically defensive Rotom-W switch-in (a very likely switch in) with Fire Blast. If Stealth rocks are up on the opposing side of the field and assuming a max SpA spread and a Life Orb, it can also 2HKO Offensive Latias if it switches in and and avoid the OHKO from Draco Meteor, but crucially, not survive 2 Thunderbolts from it, only enabling our CAP to beat it if Latias switches in. If SR are not up, Latias still is very unlikely to survive 2 Fire Blasts (3.125% chance), if Life Orb damage is factored in. Latios cannot OHKO, and is cleanly 2HKO'd by Fire Blast even without Stealth Rock. We also OHKO Garchomp upon switch-in, but it can OHKO us in return, and will almost certainly go down if we already received one turn of Life Orb damage. It can counter Specially Defensive Hippowdon by surviving its Earthquake and OHKOing with Hydro Pump, which a Timid nature can only do 81.3% of the time. It's also a reliable check to Offensive Mega-Charizard-X as long as it has no boosts, since cannot OHKO'd by Earthquake and OHKOs back, although it does have a 6.25% to go down to Life Orb damage right afterwards. However, it struggles with all the other Charizard-X sets, as do the other spreads for this particular CAP.

This CAP can also have the option to choose a a more bulky spread with a Modest nature, 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD EVs and Leftovers. This set isn't as fast or powerful as the offensive set, but it is able to work as an efficient bulky attacker and can definitely live many hits which other spreads are unable to do. This one tends to replace Analytic as a tool for punishing switches with something that mainly compensates the CAP for moving last against more offensive Pokemon by increasing its attack power. It can survive a Focus Punch from Mega-Mawile and 2 Sludge Waves from Life Orb Gengar, as well as OHKO them both with Fire Blast. It can counter offensive Life Orb Volcarona, given that it can survive 2 super-effective Hidden Powers and check it after a Quiver Dance, surviving a super-effective Hidden Power and OHKOing in return with Hydro Pump. This spread also deals with Heatran better, since it cannot be 2HKO'd with Earth Power and Hydro Pump 2HKOs in return. It's also likely survive an Aqua Jet from Belly Drum Azumarill, although countering Belly Drum Azumarill is done better by another set which will be detailed later. A set of 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe EVs is also recommended if outspeeding Landous-T is a concern.

Although Life Orb and Leftovers are recommended for this particular set, Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, and Assault Vest are all items that can be considered, despite the fact that they lose the ability to use an utility move. A bulky spread with Choice Specs over Leftovers is able to punish switches a lot harder. Specifically, it's able to 2HKO Physically Defensive Rotom-W if it switches in as well as Physically Defensive Sylveon, which no other set can do. Choice Scarf can enable the CAP to check Choice Scarf Excadrill, which can run through the core otherwise. Assault Vest lets it counter Standard Aegislash even harder, not even being 3HKO'd by it its Shadow Ball in most cases even if it has Life Orb, but that also makes it lose to physical variants, and physical threats in general. Air Balloon is also a good item for this CAP. Although it might seem like any stat spread can run Air Balloon and claim to counter Grounds, this one is better at it than most since it has the bulk to take the Rock-type coverage moves these Ground-types often carry.

There are a couple of interesting spreads this CAP can run to counter some Pokemon more easily :
  • A spread of 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe with a Modest nature can outspeed Jolly Max Speed Aegislash while conserving as much mixed bulk as possible.
  • A "Fairykiller" spread, which runs 176 HP / 60 Def / 252 SpA / 20 Spe and a Modest nature with Leftovers, outpaces Jolly Azumarill, and is tailored to check Adamant Belly Drum Azumarill, can also counter Mawile quite easily, and does all this while maintaining maximal SpA. However, it cannot counter Splash Plate Variants of BD Azumarill, but those are easier to wear down. (Alternatively, a spread of 96 HP / 140 Def can be used to survive a +2 Mega-Mawile Sucker Punch, but loses out on some special bulk or power)
  • A "Groundkiller" spread of 152 Def / 104 SpA / 252 Spe with a Jolly Nature and an Air Balloon is designed to counter Ground-types, outspeeding Jolly Excadrill while scoring OHKOs against Excadrill, Max HP Landorus-T, and Physically Defensive Hippowdon. This spread is given as much speed as possible in order to give it the utility of a fast Will-O-Wisp and just enough power to OHKO the important Ground-types, while leaving a good numbers of EVs to invest in bulk. Putting these EVs in HP is an option, but investing solely in Defense enables it to better take physical attacks specifically (which is what this spread is supposed to do), and proceed to either OHKO or burn their users. This spread helps not only against Ground-types, but also, Pokemon who commonly carry Earthquake as a coverage move. (Alternatively, if Jolly Excadrill isn't a concern to you, you can run a Modest nature and no SpA EVs, and maximize your bulk while conserving all the important OHKOs.)
Without any offensive or defensive investment, or even an item, this CAP can, at full health and assuming SR are off the field, check :
  • Aegislash (it can take 2 Shadow Balls or a Shadow Ball and a Shadow Sneak and 2HKO with Fire Blast)
  • Hippowdon (being 2HKO'd by Earthquake and 2HKOing it in return with Hydro Pump)
  • Mega-Mawile without an Attack boost (Sucker Punch will not OHKO, while Fire Blast will.)
  • Talonflame (survives a Brave Bird, and Scald is a very easy OHKO)
Obviously, this is all assuming all Fire Blasts and Hydro Pumps hit, which is unlikely.

42 Atk is given just to make the BST neat and tidy.

With a Timid 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe spread and a Life Orb :
  • 252 SpA Life Orb CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 328-385 (101.2 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb CAP Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 237-281 (90.8 - 107.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO (100% chance to 2HKO after one turn of Life Orb recoil)
  • 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 150-177 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (64.5% chance to 2HKO after one turn of Life Orb recoil)
  • 0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 106-125 (30.5 - 36%) -- 47.1% chance to 3HKO (99.6% chance to 3HKO after one turn of Life Orb recoil)
  • 0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 70-84 (19.6 - 23.5%) -- possible 5HKO (Guaranteed 4HKO after 3 turns of Life Orb recoil)
  • 0 Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 Def CAP: 136-161 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (0.4% chance to 2HKO after after one turn of Life Orb recoil)
  • 0 Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def CAP: 91-109 (25.4 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (0.3% chance to 3HKO after one turn of Life Orb recoil)
  • 0 Atk Spell Tag Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def CAP: 84-100 (23.5 - 28%) -- 87% chance to 4HKO (9.6% chance to 3HKO after 2 turns of Life Orb recoil)
  • +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def CAP: 238-281 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def CAP: 276-325 (77.3 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb CAP Lava Plume vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 478-564 (132 - 155.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def CAP: 296-350 (82.9 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb CAP Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 406-478 (106.2 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb CAP Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 408-484 (97.1 - 115.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
  • 4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def CAP: 270-320 (75.6 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (37.5% chance to OHKO after Life Orb and Sandstorm damage)
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def CAP: 271-321 (75.9 - 89.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 253-298 (64.2 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and 252 SpA Life Orb CAP Fire Blast vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 169-200 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers and if one hit is at +0 Def and the other is at +1)
  • +1 4+ SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 76-90 (21.2 - 25.2%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
  • +1 252+ SpA Volcarona Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 208-246 (58.2 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Analytic CAP Hydro Pump vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 424-502 (113.3 - 134.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 207-243 (55.3 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • +2 252+ SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 238-282 (66.6 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 284-336 (79.5 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 298-352 (83.4 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
With a Modest 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe spread and a Life Orb :
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb CAP Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Landorus-T: 408-484 (106.8 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def CAP: 272-322 (76.1 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic CAP Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 378-446 (126.8 - 149.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 156-183 (51.3 - 60.1%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (only if it switches in, cannot actually 2HKO)
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic CAP Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 133-156 (44 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery, or 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Life Orb damage
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb CAP Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 447-530 (106.4 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 151-178 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic CAP Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 378-446 (105.5 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic CAP Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 291-346 (97.6 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
  • +6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 0 Def CAP: 364-429 (86.8 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
  • Everything the Timid set can do damage-wise
With a Modest 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD spread and Leftovers :
  • 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def CAP: 353-416 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 0 Def CAP: 159-187 (37.9 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA CAP Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 296-350 (97.3 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD CAP: 192-227 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 272-324 (83.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (62.5% chance to OHKO after Life Orb recoil)
  • 4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def CAP: 272-324 (64.9 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
  • 0 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def CAP: 170-202 (40.5 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 164-194 (55 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def CAP: 273-322 (65.1 - 76.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 0 Def CAP: 364-429 (86.8 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def CAP: 374-444 (89.2 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
  • 4 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD CAP: 150-176 (35.7 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD CAP: 187-222 (44.6 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 322-379 (122.9 - 144.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • +1 252+ SpA Volcarona Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD CAP: 206-244 (49.1 - 58.2%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Hydro Pump vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 360-426 (115.3 - 136.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 4 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD CAP: 152-180 (36.2 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA CAP Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 198-234 (51.2 - 60.6%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • +1 252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD CAP: 341-403 (81.3 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (damage from 2 consecutive turns)
  • 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def CAP: 183-216 (43.6 - 51.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
With Choice Specs :
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 180-212 (59.2 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic CAP Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 152-179 (50.3 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 213-252 (54 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
With Assault Vest :
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest CAP: 105-125 (29.4 - 35%) -- 9% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest CAP: 130-153 (36.4 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
With the "Fairykiller" spread:
  • 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 176 HP / 60 Def CAP: 329-388 (82 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • +6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 176 HP / 60 Def CAP: 339-400 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 332-392 (82.1 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (OHKO after Belly Drum and Sitrus Berry)
With the "Groundkiller" spread:
  • 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 152 Def CAP: 180-212 (50.4 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 252 Def CAP: 162-192 (45.3 - 53.7%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO (Modest spread)
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 152 Def CAP: 234-276 (65.5 - 77.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 152 Def CAP: 164-194 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 252 Def CAP: 148-176 (41.4 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Jolly Excadrill will outspeed the modest spread, however)
  • 104 SpA CAP Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 372-438 (102.7 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 152 Def CAP: 252-298 (70.5 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 104 SpA CAP Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 384-452 (100.5 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 104 SpA CAP Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 420-494 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 Atk Mega Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 152 Def CAP: 154-183 (43.1 - 51.2%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 152 Def CAP: 142-168 (39.7 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:
91 HP / 46 Atk / 97 Def / 112 SpA / 109 SpD / 100 Spe (555 BST)

PT : 155,729 (Very Good)
ST : 175,371 (Excellent)
PS : 75,5765 (Below Average)
SS : 180,827 (Excellent)
BSR : 321,6379 (Very Good)
I don't know if I will continue to the end, considering that Deck Knight has a stat spread close to mine. Still, I shall provide some explanations :

SpeedThe most important stat. With our typing, I thank we should have at least some investment in bulkiness, that's why I wanted to have decent speed. Our most important targets are Excadrill and Landorus-T here, so I wanted to outspeed them reliably.
Landorus-T never runs speed (outside of a Scarf set ofc), but Excadrill often hits 275 speed. A 160 investment in speed is enough to outspeed him (and well, you can choose a +Spe nature), and you can always drop to 40 (Tyranitar).
However, we are in a pretty crowded speed tier, and we will not outspeed Garchomp and Landorus-I. To outspeed them, outside of a huge speed, we would need a huge investment. However, I feel we need tankiness AND some power, whilst outspeed Landorus-T and Excadrill. That is why I wanted to have an intermediate speed, to customize what we want. Moreover, we don't want to switch in Chomp, and we can punish his switches with WoW / Scald / Lava Plume.

DefenseWIP

OffenseWIP

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
98 HP / 42 Atk / 80 Def / 121 SpA / 106 SpD / 103 Spe (550 BST)

PT: 135.81 (Good)
ST: 179.04 (Excellent)
PS: 70.52 (Below Average)
SS: 198.52 (Excellent)
BSR: 319.30 (Very Good)

HP:

98 HP Sets CAP 18 to a maximum HP of 400, which gives it a decent base of bulk, but prevents it from setting up 101HP Subs and thereby thwarting the blobs, the Pokemon that are supposed to threaten out our CAP.

Special Defense: This Special Defense is designed a 252 / 252 / 4 SpD offensive set. CAP 18 takes 45.4-53.4% damage from Shadow Ball, enough to always survive a 2HKO w/ Leftovers regularly.

More Reasoning later.
I support this stat spread and it is my favorite so far. It can tank relevant attacks from relevant threats and still hit back decently hard (especially with analytic) also, the 103 speed gets the jump on garchomp but sadly doesn't out speed scarf excadrill. I do t see many issues as I am not a stat spread expert but I think we could go far with this (though it might need some tweaking idk)

Anyways, nice job

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
FINAL SUBMISSION

100 HP / 45 Atk / 80 Def / 135 SpA / 100 SpD / 95 Spe
(555 BST)

PT : 137,713 (Good)
ST : 171,628 (Very Good)
PS : 72,0622 (Poor)
SS : 208,425 (Fantastic)
BSR : 323,1459 (Very Good)

Special Sweepiness (PS) explanation
First, let's talk about Speed. We have decided that Ground-types should be threatened by the CAP, and if we can't switch into them, the least we can do is beat as many of them as we can 1 on 1. With 95 Speed, the CAP outspeeds Excadrill, Landorus-T, Mega Garchomp, and Mamoswine, while Speed tying with Gliscor, which almost never uses max Speed btw. Outspeeding Garchomp and Landorus would be great, but too much power or bulk needs to be sacrificed to do this, and Landorus is already checked by Latias. 95 Speed is a very good benchmark for a hard hitter, as Kyurem-B has showcased, as it makes for a Pokemon fast enough to outspeed the vast majority of defensive, pivot, and tankish Pokemon while making sure that most offensive Pokemon can outspeed and thus at least revenge kill the CAP. 95 Speed also makes sure that we are threatened by the things we want to, namely Water and Dragon-types. Offensive Water-types such as Manaphy and Keldeo outrun the CAP, which is good as they need to check us, which would be difficult if they didn't outspeed the CAP, given the CAP's power level with Analytic + big SpA stat. Another benefit of this Speed stat is that it allows the CAP to outrun even max Speed+ Aegislash with little EV investment, namely 60 EVs, making sure that we can always outspeed it without having to choose between bulk, power, or speed. Finally, with 95 Speed, the CAP can outrun most defensive Pokemon even with no Speed investment, especially Pokemon such as Clefable, Sylveon, Heatran, and Togekiss, all Pokemon the CAP is supposed to threaten, and some slow offensive Pokemon that we are also supposed to threaten, namely Azumarill and Mega Mawile.

As for the Special Attack stat, here are some calcs to showcase its usefunless:
  • 252+ SpA CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 288-338 (88.8 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 168-200 (46.1 - 54.9%)
  • 252+ SpA CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 132-156 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- Big chance to 2HKO with SR up if Mega Venusaur switches into the CAP
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 303-357 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 211-249 (53.5 - 63.1%)
Those calculatios show that the CAP has enough juice to 2HKO anything that isn't Chansey, Blissey, a Water-, or a Dragon-type even without a boosting item, giving the freedom to the cap of using items such as Leftovers or Assault Vest to better check Pokemon such as Aegislash, Gengar, Azumarill, and Mega Mawile. Also, with 135 SpA, the CAP is able to deal good damage to some of its more frail Water and Dragon-type checks with a super effective Hidden Power, meaning that they are not hard counters to it and it can do some damage to them with some prediction. Here are some calcs:
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 134-158 (44 - 51.9%)
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 178-210 (58.9 - 69.5%)
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 154-182 (50.9 - 60.2%)
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 210-248 (65 - 76.7%)
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Manaphy: 192-226 (56.3 - 66.2%)
While more bulky checks, such as specially defensive Rotom-W, Goodra, Suicune, and CM Manaphy all avoid the 2HKO from a super effective Hidden Power. This means that if the CAP wants to leave a dent to its hard checks, such as the ones mentioned above, it has to resort to a boosting item to do so + the appropriate Hidden Power, which limits its ability to check the threats it wants to, and therefore presents a significant opportunity cost: either have the ability to reliably check the threats that trouble Latias and Lucario, or have the ability to beat some of your hard checks with some prediction, but not both.

tl;dr this SS makes the CAP very versatile and allows it to use a multitude of spreads and items, such as Assault Vest, Leftovers, Life Orb, Choice Specs, and EV spreads ranging from 252 SpA / 252 Spe to 252 HP / 252 SpA, or even a mix of HP, SpA, and Speed, thus allowing it to take on a variety of roles, while enabling it to deal with the threats we want to very well.

I didn't include calculations about Heatran and Mega Charizard Y because none of them are real threats to our core.

Special Tankiness (ST) explanation
I will be using an EV spread of 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Speed, in order for the cap to always outspeed max Speed+ Aegislash. Here are the most relevent calculations:
  • 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 160-189 (41 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 208-246 (53.3 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 139-164 (35.6 - 42%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 154-183 (39.4 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
And if the CAP uses Assault Vest:
  • 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest CAP: 106-126 (27.6 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest CAP: 140-165 (35.8 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest CAP: 93-110 (23.8 - 28.2%) -- 88.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest CAP: 134-160 (34.3 - 41%) -- 51.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Thunderbolt vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest CAP: 172-203 (44.1 - 52%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest CAP: 133-157 (34.1 - 40.2%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Which means that the CAP has enough bulk to even check LO Thunderbolt Gengar once, assuming it uses max HP and SR is down. It can also take two Shadow Ball from Leftovers Aegislash with 196 HP EVs, so it will usually be able to switch into it twice, as long as SR is not on the field. Finally, the CAP can usually check Greninja once even with SR up (Greninja has a very small chance to hit with two Hydro Pump and get maximum damage rolls), which is a big threat to the rest of our core, so that's a nice thing.

Basically, the special bulk is mostly focused around tanking Shadow Ball from Aegislash, which is the biggest threat to our core that hasn't been addressed yet. Be it Leftovers, Assault Vest, or even Choice Specs, the CAP will be able to check the CAP at least once even with SR up, and even twice without SR up, assuming Leftovers or Assault Vest. Of course the CAP can take more defensive roles and even opt for SpD investment while still having enough power to be dangerous, so the CAP can potentially tank even two Shadow Ball with Stealth Rock up.

And even though the CAP has good special bulk, the offensive Pokemon that outspeed and have super effective STABs against it, as well as most offensive Water and Dragon-types, can still get past it:
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 374-439 (95.8 - 112.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 288-338 (73.8 - 86.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Thunderbolt vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 257-304 (65.8 - 77.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Thunderbolt vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest CAP: 172-203 (44.1 - 52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Psyshock 2HKOes even without SR
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Latias Thunderbolt vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 229-270 (58.7 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Latias Thunderbolt vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest CAP: 153-182 (39.2 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 268-316 (68.7 - 81%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 196 HP / 0 Def CAP: 249-294 (63.8 - 75.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (just posting this here to show how AV sets still get 2HKOed at worst by Keldeo)
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest CAP: 307-361 (78.7 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 306-360 (78.4 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
So, as long as the opponent manages to keep SR up, the CAP is very easy to OHKO with offensive Pokemon that have a typing advantage against it.

Physical Tankiness (PT) explanation
On the physical side, the important things are:
  • To tank Azumarill's CB Play Rough and in general to be able to check Azumarill at least once
  • To be able to tank Mega Mawile's Play Rough followed by another one from burned Mega Mawile
  • To be able to take one hit from unboosted Mega Charizard X in order to KO back, because it's a big threat to our core, especially if it manages to set up
Again, going with the 196 HP spread, here is how well the CAP can take those attacks:
  • 252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 196 HP / 0 Def CAP: 288-340 (73.8 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 196 HP / 0 Def CAP: 167-197 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 196 HP / 0 Def CAP: 161-190 (41.2 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 196 HP / 0 Def CAP: 288-339 (73.8 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Against Mega Mawile, the CAP can always take one hit, burn it with WoW, and survive the second hit, even with SR up. Or it can survive almost always the +2 Play Rough from burned Mega Mawile (always if you invest 4 more EVs to Def). Same goes with CB Azumarill, essentially providing to our core an answer to all those strong Fairy attacks. The CAP can also survive a CB Brave Bird from Talonflame with this physical bulk even with no HP investment, meaning that it can win the 1 v 1 scenario if the need arises:
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def CAP: 283-334 (82.7 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Same goes for Mega Pinsir, the CAP can beat it in 1 on 1 scenarios, preventing it from forcing us out and setting up:
  • 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def CAP: 300-354 (87.7 - 103.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO (always survives with 196 HP EVs)
Finally, here are calcs of physical attackers with super effective STABs, to show that they all threaten the CAP as they should:
  • 252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 196 HP / 0 Def CAP: 392-464 (100.5 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 196 HP / 0 Def CAP: 392-464 (100.5 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Wild Charge vs. 196 HP / 0 Def CAP: 421-499 (107.9 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 Atk Choice Scarf Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 196 HP / 0 Def CAP: 404-476 (103.5 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 Atk Choice Scarf Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 196 HP / 0 Def CAP: 408-480 (104.6 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Scarf Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 196 HP / 0 Def CAP: 470-554 (120.5 - 142%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Physical Sweepiness (PS) explanation
I just wanted the PS to be low enough so that physical attacks are not usable, at least not for damage, to make sure that Chansey and Blissey remain surefire counters no matter what, because with a Choice Specs those are the only two Pokemon that will be able to wall the CAP, not only with mine but with most suggested spreads so far. Seeing as my BSR was already very high, i tried to give to the CAP as little Attack as possible without making any BSR abuse. After all, real Pokemon with so high SpA and low Atk exist, such as Alakazam (50 / 135), Chandelure (55 / 145), AND Darmanitan-Z (30 / 140), so i think that the Attack stat is not too low for real Pokemon standards.

Potential Sets
CAP @ Leftovers
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- filler

Checks Aegislash, Azumarill, Gengar, and Mega Mawile, burns physical attackers it can't hurt with its STABs with WoW, such as Azumarill, Sucker Punch Mega Mawile, and Gyarados, and has decent longevity with bulk investment + Leftovers. Works as a hard hitter, pivot, check to dangerous Pokemon, and burn spreader. The Speed EVs allow the CAP to always outspeed Aegislash, but they could be increased to outspeed DD Mega Tyranitar before it Mevolves, or Adamant Mega Gyarados, both of which are very threatening Pokemon to our core.

CAP @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pumo
- Hidden Power Electric / Grass
- filler

Better short-term check to Aegislash, Greninja, Gengar, and a few other special attackers, with enough Speed to outrun Jolly Bisharp, Jolly Mega Tyranitar, and Adamant Mega Gyarados, which is great as the latter two are very dangerous to our core.

CAP @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pumo
- Hidden Power Electric / Grass
- filler

Powerful nuke that will only be able to check Aegislash and other strong special attackers once, but in exchange it makes sure that unless the opponent has Chansey and Blissey, something is going down. Also, this set is fast enough to outrun even threats such as Mega Garchomp, neutral-natured Kyurem-B, neutral-natured Mega Charizard X, Jolly Excadrill, and most Gliscor.

In a few words

This stat spread makes the CAP able to check at least once most of the threats we want, and very hard to wall outside of a few select Pokemon, namely Chansey, Blissey, and Goodra, while providing just enough Speed to make the CAP useful against offensive teams and outspeed some dangerous Pokemon we can't check defensively, such as Mega Garchomp and Excadrill. This spread also leaves quite a bit of room for many different options, as shown by the suggested sets, with anything from max HP / 0 Speed to 0 HP / max Speed and max SpA being viable.

Last edited:
154 HP/42 Atk/64 Def/143 SpA/74 SpD/90 Spe
Base Stat Total: 567
Base Stat Rating: 334.5954 (Very Good)

PT: 154.149 (Very Good)
ST: 176.743 (Excellent)
PS: 66.5107 (Poor)
SS: 210.075 (Fantastic)

From what I've seen, this is definitely the most unique stat spread so far. Then again, I'm early for this thing, so only time will tell.

154 HP

Yes, yes, when coupled with the SpD stat of 74, it's certainly a prime target for any accusations of BSR abuse. Hence why I'm opting to try and explain my reasoning for this stat first. An HP stat of 154 is very special indeed; uninvested it gives us 449 hit points, which is not only is it a strong Leftovers number, but also a strong Life Orb number. This allows for both items to be viable on this set, in case an extra bulky set is in order to go with our offensive sets. With full investment, we get 512 hit points, which gives us Leftovers recovery of 32 hit points over 28. And finally, even when uninvested, we get 101 subs which we can potentially pass down to Lucario or Latias; that in turn makes it even easier for the former to set up on those dreaded pink blobs.

143 SpA

As Korski said here, we need CAP18 to at least have a 50-50 chance of OHKOing Aegislash with a Fire Blast, and with a SpA stat total of 143, that's exactly what we get. Of course, this is assuming we invest fully into the stat in question and adopt a Modest nature. Still, 143 is plenty for what we need to accomplish, as I can prove momentarily.

90 Spe

I would've liked to cut down on the Speed so we could make use of Analytic, but since we have limitations on Physical Tankiness, we can't exactly tank any rogue EQ's, so the only other option is to outspeed the Ground-types that we can actually combat. However, under no circumstances will I allow CAP18 to outspeed Lucario (speed-tie, maybe, but not outspeed), cause then we risk CAP18 taking over Lucario's job as the primary sweeper. We don't outspeed Landorous and Gliscor that invested in Speed, nor do we outspeed Garchomp which we'll probably lose to anyway, but none of the other OU Ground-types are safe.

74 SpD

With such a heavy focus on mounds of power and enough speed to actually utilize it against the Ground-types that would otherwise threaten CAP18, it was only natural that I'd have to comprise on bulk to some extent. So I decided to be smart about it; more specifically, I fiddled around with the damage calculator before I decided on my 2 remaining numbers. Here, I chose 74 to be my SpD stat number. It's not too shabby when coupled with a colossal 154 HP stat; in fact, Aegislash can never 2HKO CAP18 with Shadow Ball even with Stealth Rock on the field. This is assuming neither Pokemon are invested in their respective stats, so I'll have to do another calculation using a more specially orientated Aegislash later on. You can see the damage calculations below once I make them.

64 Def

Finally, we have the Defense stat of 64. (The Atk stat of 42 doesn't count, as it's a blatantly obvious stat dump.) To be honest, I would've prefered to have a Defense stat of 65, as that one extra point would've been a lot more integral to my spread. For example, a Banded Brave Bird from Talonflame has a 50% chance to OHKO an uninvested CAP18 with Stealth Rock up on the field, whereas with 65 Def, it would only have a 37.5% chance. On top of that, a max attack Azumarill has a 0.2% chance to 3HKO an invested CAP18 with Play Rough, whereas with 65 Def, it wouldn't have had a hope in hell of achieving that same feat. Unfortunately, I've had some BSR problems at this stage, so I have to stick with 64 Def, as reluctant as I am in doing so.

So there you have it, my BST Spread. As I said earlier, proper calculations will be up soon (I've got two so far, but that's about it).

I support this stat spread and it is my favorite so far. It can tank relevant attacks from relevant threats and still hit back decently hard (especially with analytic) also, the 103 speed gets the jump on garchomp but sadly doesn't out speed scarf excadrill. I do t see many issues as I am not a stat spread expert but I think we could go far with this (though it might need some tweaking idk)

Anyways, nice job
But analytic is basically useless on fast pokemon as you have to be outsped, that 103 speed isn't really slow enough to make use of it. A perfect ingame example of this is Starmie, which has no use for it because of how fast it is.

Final Submission

75 HP/54 Atk/97 Def/130 SpA/126 SpD/93 Spe (565 BST)

PT: 137.94
ST: 179.59
PS: 82.30
SS: 193.26
BSR: 325.26

General Special Tankiness: I wanted this to be quite high, as being able to at least hard check Aegislash, and ideally being a good soft counter, is vitally important. This means taking Shadow Ball as comfortably as possible within the typing and given stat limits. As I said before, this spread takes even a Life Orb boosted Shadow Ball with a relatively small risk of being 2HKO'd without Stealth Rock (which encourages Latias' support) and while holding Leftovers.

NEW: Nothing changed here. I still feel that this is a good Special Defense and handles Aegislash nicely.

HP: Now for HP specifically, which is quite a bit lower than some of the other submissions. My reasoning for this is because I want to be as susceptible to a Seismic Toss from Chansey as possible. Simply put, lower HP means more S-toss damage. What I think a rule of thumb should be is that HP should never be higher than 100 and still be around 90 at most. Being able to put up a 101 HP Substitute automatically means we beat Chansey/Blissey pretty easily. The low HP means that the individual Defense/Special Defense stats have to be quite high to accommodate the need for taking Shadow Balls/Play Roughs consistently.

NEW: While 76 fits the above criteria, 75 is a much less arbitrary number as it allows CAP to easily reach a good Leftovers number with 248 HP EVs.

Special Attack: This Special Attack gives a 50% chance to OHKO Aegislash-Shield after SR with Fire Blast. This may raise the problem of "but Latias is supposed to provide Defog support!" There are a couple of reasons why I don't believe this is a problem. Firstly, Latias is huge Aegislash bait, so Aegislash will switch in as Latias is using Defog. This means Aegislash will still take Stealth Rock damage, and if it's not holding Leftovers, that damage stays while Aegislash that hold Leftovers are much easier to handle with my given bulk. Secondly, it should be safe to assume Stealth Rock will be up to support Lucario some of the time. If it's not the time for Lucario to sweep, then Aegislash has the possibility of switching into SR where the CAP can come in and threaten an OHKO with Fire Blast.

NEW: Again, I left this the same. 130 is a good Special Attack stat because it requires Stealth Rock to be able to OHKO Aegislash, which makes us try to keep it up for Lucario.

Defense: NEW: Since this is the most drastic change from my old spread, I deleted everything from this section, as it was all irrelevant. This Defense, combined with the HP that I chose, makes physical attacks from three things we're supposed to threaten fail to OHKO us without SR but have a high chance to do so with SR. These attackers are Azumarill, Mega Mawile, and Hippowdon.

It says Abomasnow because I just changed the information on Abomasnow to CAP's typing and stats.

4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 246-290 (69.6 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 246-290 (69.6 - 82.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 246-289 (69.6 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 246-289 (69.6 - 81.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 284-335 (80.4 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 284-335 (80.4 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Speed:
This is the perfect stat to outspeed most of the things that we are supposed to threaten without compromising another stat too much. I feel like Landorus-T and Mega Garchomp are the most important targets, and easily outspeeding them is key.

NEW: Like HP, 93 is less arbitrary and accomplishes nearly everything that 97 does without making the BSR too high.

Other Thoughts: I want to reiterate this from my HP explanation: High HP stats are bad. If we make the HP stat too high, that lessens Chansey's/Blissey's ability to beat us with Seismic Toss. It's especially worrying when base HP could go over 100, as we get access to 101 HP Substitutes, which lowers the blobs' chance of actually beating us 1v1.

I also feel that people are not treating Lucario as a member of this core. People only seem to be concerned with support from Latias, but seem to forget that Lucario is the main sweeper here. Introducing as many characteristics as possible that support Lucario as well as Latias are important.

I feel like I should elaborate on the seemingly inflated defensive stats more, since some people on IRC were dismissing LO Aegislash as a threat to the core. I disagree. Being able to take the absolute strongest Aegislash has to offer means that we're always safe to switch into it at least once. We cannot risk switching into a LO wallbreaker set with suboptimal bulk, especially when Aegislash threatens to finish us with Shadow Sneak. This is why a combination of relatively high physical and special bulk is necessary.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But analytic is basically useless on fast pokemon as you have to be outsped, that 103 speed isn't really slow enough to make use of it. A perfect ingame example of this is Starmie, which has no use for it because of how fast it is.
Clearly, you have no idea why Analytic was even chosen in the first place.

In case you didn't know, Analytic also activates on switches. The entire point of Analytic was to punish switches. Our CAP shouldn't try to attack last, it should try to hit whatever switches in.
Besides, speed really matters for this CAP, since it needs to outspeed a large portion of Pokemon that threaten Lucario or Latias. Why switch out of our CAP when you can just OHKO it?

Please try to follow the CAP process to understand the reasoning behind the typing/ability choice before commenting on the stats.

Last edited:
My spread is similar to Deck Knight's, but I made a few different decisions. I sat out of Part 5 to observe, as this is the first CAP project I've contributed to. As such, if there's any issue with this post, please let me know.

99 HP/45 Atk/78 Def/128 Sp. Attack/114 Sp. Def/96 Spe (560 BST)

PT: 133.4880 (Good)
ST: 193.1900 (Excellent)
PS: 72.0622 (Poor)
SS: 197.0450 (Excellent)
BSR: 327.0107 (Very Good)

General: I'm using an EV spread of 164 HP/252 Sp. Attack/92 Speed with a Timid nature for this submission. My reasoning below will explain why.

Speed: With 96 base speed and the EVs and natures given above, CAP 18 has 276 Speed, which is sufficient to outrun maximum speed Adamant Excadrill and OHKO with either STAB. It may not be able to outrun Garchomp, but Garchomp doesn't want to take Draco Meteors from Latias. Which leads me to the next section . . .

Bulk: A base stat of 99 HP allows for the maximum HP possible without being able to make 101 HP substitutes, allowing Chansey and Blissey to stop the CAP. Uninvested, base 114 Sp. Defense is enough to make Aegislash's Shadow Ball always a 3HKO with Leftovers and to make Gengar's Thunderbolt have only a 6.6% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers. Volcarona at +2 can't even 2HKO while being threatened by Hydro Pump. Life Orb Keldeo can get a clean 2HKO with Hydro Pump, while CAP 18 can't 2HKO in return even with Life Orb recoil.

On the physical side, 78 base Defense suffices to allow CAP 18 to survive physical blows from the likes of Talonflame, Hippowdon, Mega Mawile, and Landorus' Stone Edge without being too resilient. It can check but not counter the former two, can outspeed and cripple Mega Mawile with a burn, and can take any attacks from Landorus-T other than Earthquake and threaten to OHKO with Hydro Pump.

+2 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 164 HP / 0 SpD CAP 18: 148-174 (38.9 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 164 HP / 0 SpD CAP 18: 144-169 (37.8 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 164 HP / 0 SpD CAP 18: 169-200 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Gengar Thunderbolt vs. 164 HP / 0 SpD CAP 18: 176-208 (46.3 - 54.7%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 164 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 203-239 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 164 HP / 0 Def CAP 18: 170-201 (44.7 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 164 HP / 0 Def CAP 18: 294-348 (77.3 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 164 HP / 0 Def CAP 18: 262-310 (68.9 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 164 HP / 0 SpD CAP 18: 208-246 (54.7 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Goodra Thunderbolt vs. 164 HP / 0 SpD CAP 18: 172-204 (45.2 - 53.6%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Thunderbolt vs. 164 HP / 0 SpD CAP 18: 264-312 (69.4 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Latias Thunderbolt vs. 164 HP / 0 SpD CAP 18: 158-186 (41.5 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 164 HP / 0 Def CAP 18: 318-376 (83.6 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Power: Attack is just a stat dump, so let's move on. Base 128 Sp. Attack allows CAP 18 to always OHKO Aegislash-Shield with Fire Blast. However, CAP 18 needs a Life Orb or an Analytic boost in order to do this, so it would have to give up the utility of Leftovers. Furthermore, as powerful as that stat may seem, it still cannot do much to anything that is supposed to threaten CAP 18. With the calculations below, I show that CAP 18 cannot get past its proposed counters even under generous circumstances while showing that it can OHKO or severely damage many of the opponents it should counter.

252 SpA CAP 18 Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 252-296 (77.7 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Analytic CAP 18 Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 324-384 (100 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA CAP 18 Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 426-504 (111.5 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA CAP 18 Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 468-552 (111.4 - 131.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA CAP 18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 506-596 (139.7 - 164.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Analytic CAP 18 Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 444-524 (142.3 - 167.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Analytic Abomasnow Hydro Pump vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 296-350 (94.8 - 112.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Analytic Abomasnow Hydro Pump vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 222-264 (71.1 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Analytic CAP 18 Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 126-148 (39 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Analytic CAP 18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 93-109 (30.7 - 36%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Analytic CAP 18 Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 106-126 (35 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA CAP 18 Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 136-160 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA CAP 18 Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 42-49 (10.9 - 12.7%) -- possible 8HKO

EDIT 1: On the note of Mega Garchomp, an EV spread of 32 HP/252 Sp. Attack/224 Speed allows CAP 18 to outspeed it while still surviving two Shadow Balls from Aegislash.

EDIT 2: I increased Attack to 45 to avoid BSR abuse. I felt comfortable with HP, Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, and Speed, so I did not alter them. A base Defense of 78 is sufficient to survive two unboosted Play Roughs from Mega Mawile, Stone Edge from Landorus-T, and a Brave Bird from Choice Band Talonflame with Leftovers and the EVs mentioned at the beginning of the post.

Last edited:
75 HP /50 Atk /65 Def /130 SpA /125 SpD /92 Spe (537 BST)

PT: 95.74 (Below Average)
ST: 181.41 (Excellent)
PS: 90. 09 (Below Average)
SS: 214.62 (Fantastic)
BSR: 318.69 (Very Good)

Special Tankiness: Well... I think I'll just let the calcs speak for themselves first.
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 132-156 (37.2 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 132-156 (37.2 - 44%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
This is just enough to absorb a Shadow Balls, but not if Stealth Rock is up. This both stops Aegislash consistently but also increases synergy with Defog Latias. Also this is just enough special bulk that, at 252/0, the CAP would have about a 50% chance to survive a crit and a second hit OR a SpDef drop from the first Shadow Ball. I feel as if this is a near ideal special bulk for what this CAP wishes to accomplish. It is also still threatened heavily by some of the key counters decided for the CAP, like Specially Bulky Dragons and Rotom-Wash (both of which take little damage from the CAP).
252+ SpA Goodra Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 158-188 (44.6 - 53.1%) -- 30.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 180-212 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Speed: I chose this mainly for two reasons. First off, it is ONE point higher than Landorus-Therian, a Pokemon this CAP is meant to handle. The second point is rather minor but... The uninvested neutral Speed from 92 base is one higher than what neutral Speed Aegislash maxes out at. It's a little slower than Gliscor, but Gliscor is virtually never invested into Speed, making this easy to work around.

Special Attack: This is enough to hit hard (same base stat as Gengar and Latios) without being absurdly high and overpowered. Also, this is really the highest I can make the Special Attack without going over the Special Sweepiness limit set by the Stat Leader, so there's also that...

Attack: This is is essentially a pointless stat and the only real concern of it is just having it not be a significantly usable stat. My Physical Sweepiness is within 10 of the maximum, so I feel like I'm not using this to abuse the system and raise my other stats.

Physical Tankiness: Honestly, I have this as a rather low stat because everything else is really already "Very Good" or better, aside from the Physical Sweepiness, which should have no bearing on the other stats. I could easily increase the Defense on my stat set without breaking the overall BSR limit, but I believe that would also potentially unbalance the CAP. Also, the ability to inflict burns has been openly implied for the past few steps of the process; this would greatly reduce the drawback of reduced Physical Bulk. Also, this gives the CAP a weakness to Psyshock (and Keldeo's Secret Sword) which would provide an excellent switch in opportunity for Latias.

I did all of this with paper and a calculator, so please at least respect my effort.

Clearly, you have no idea why Analytic was even chosen in the first place.

In case you didn't know, Analytic activates on switches. The entire point of Analytic was to punish switches. It shouldn't try to attack last, it should try to hit whatever switches in.
Besides, speed really matters for this CAP, since it needs to outspeed a large portion of Pokemon that threaten Lucario or Latias. Why switch out of our CAP when you can just OHKO it?

Please try to follow the CAP process to understand the reasoning behind the typing/ability choice before commenting on the stats.
Alright, I did not know that it did that and I apologize. I guess I will try and look into it more now.

75 HP /50 Atk /65 Def /130 SpA /125 SpD /92 Spe (537 BST)

PT: 95.74 (Below Average)
ST: 181.41 (Excellent)
PS: 90. 09 (Below Average)
SS: 214.62 (Fantastic)
BSR: 318.69 (Very Good)
I'm impressed that you did all of this with a calculator and paper, but I think your numbers are off.

Elite Lord Sigma said:
99 HP/34 Atk/94 Def/128 Sp. Attack/114 Sp. Def/96 Spe (565 BST)

PT: 159.708 (Very Good)
ST: 193.190 (Excellent)
PS: 58.0246 (Poor)
SS: 197.045 (Excellent)
BSR: 334.9133 (Very Good)
Your SS value is noticeably higher than mine, but the difference in base stats between us is negligible. So, since I already have the stat calculator up, I ran your numbers through it. It seems your actual values are:

PT: 92.9266 (Below Average)
ST: 178.201 (Excellent)
PS: 77.0122 (Below Average)
SS: 192.755 (Excellent)
BSR: 291.4017 (Good)

I won't post a stat submission, purely because I would only end up closely replicating someone else's spread, so based on that, there has been some very nice numbers coming out.

108 HP / 42 Atk / 85 Def / 128 SpA / 108 SpD / 89 Spe (560 BST)

PT: 153.92 (Very Good)
ST: 194.31 (Excellent)
PS: 65.27 (Poor)
SS: 180.63 (Excellent)
BSR: 325.94 (Very Good)
This stat spread by Albacore is on the money, it's very similar to what I would've proposed. For me personally, it's in the butter zone for speed and bulk, reasonably bulky and not overly fast.
If you do end up tweaking it, I think it would only need very minor changes.

I'll keep checking back for updated explanations, etc. All-in-all, nice suggestions!

It seems I was apparently using the BW2 equations for BSR instead of the XY ones, so I am going to to have to do a good bit of rework. XD

I agree with Toebag that Albacore's spread Is fairly close to ideal. 89 Speed allows us to outspeed pretty much all the threats we can hope to (considering we don't have much hope of keeping offensive presence and outdoing scarf excadrill) but keeps us at a number that allows analytic to punish more mons as well as switch ins. 128 SpA balances nicely, giving a strong offense without ridiculous power behind it, and allows us to take down Aegislash in one hit. 108/85/108 defenses are solid, too, allowing us to take a physical hit if needed and prevent an Shadow Ball from Aegis 2HKOing the mon.

My only criticism to this spread at the moment is how high the PT is. Whilst we need to have a viable physical defense, 108/85 makes the mon a little more wallish than it needs to be. I would suggest a cut of a few points or so to either (although I'm not too sure exactly how much; 8 to 15 perhaps?) and, if HP is adjusted, readjusting SpD accordingly. Just my 2 cents, though, and being a newcomer I don't know how that may affect the BSR. Speed could also use a point or two more just to tie or outspeed Landorus.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would like to remind to everyone that Mega Garchomp exists, making 93 or 95 a much better Speed benchmark than 92. Also, max Speed+ Aegislash exists, which sits at 240 Speed, and outspeeding it with minimal investment is important, otherwise Aegislash will just go fast and either force the CAP to forgo bulk in order to outspeed it, or get outsped and potentially 2HKOed by LO Shadow Ball.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like to remind to everyone that Mega Garchomp exists, making 93 or 95 a much better Speed benchmark than 92. Also, max Speed+ Aegislash exists, which sits at 240 Speed, and outspeeding it with minimal investment is important, otherwise Aegislash will just go fast and either force the CAP to forgo bulk in order to outspeed it, or get outsped and potentially 2HKOed by LO Shadow Ball.
Definitely agreed on the Mega Garchomp point. If you are going to put speed in that area, 93 is just a better number for our purposes.

However, I would disagree regarding the importance of +Speed Aegislash. Outrunning Aegi as a general rule is important, sure, but if Aegi is running max Speed+ and LO, it loses a ton of durability. The bulkier leftovers set is the main reason it scares us to begin with, and while it may be more directly threatening to CAP18 if it goes that route, it is more manageable overall. If people start running a significantly less bulky Aegi just to outrun CAP18, I'd consider that a net win overall. Of course, being outsped is not a goal we should strive for, but when there is so much else we need to do, requiring a high enough speed to do so with little effort is not really important at all, in my opinion.

(Final Submission)
99 hp/ 50 Atk/ 91 Def/ 125 spa/ 85 spd/ 104 spe (554 BST)

PT: 154.792(very good)
ST: 146.188(good)
PS: 81.8018(below average)
SS: 206.193(fantastic)

BSR (322.592) very good
General EVs(unless said other wise)
timid nature
Life Orb
32 hp
252 spa
224 spe

aegi counter
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD C.A.P: 238-281 (68.5 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD C.A.P: 183-216 (52.7 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Claw vs. 32 HP / 0 Def C.A.P: 153-180 (44 - 51.8%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 32 HP / 0 Def C.A.P: 87-103 (25 - 29.6%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

252 SpA Life Orb C.A.P Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 320-377 (98.7 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

with modest nature

252+ SpA Life Orb C.A.P Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 351-416 (108.3 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Goodra & Rotom-W stops cap(even with wall breaking set)
Modest nature
252 hp
252 spa
4 spd​

252+ SpA Life Orb C.A.P Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Goodra in Sun: 104-122 (27 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

goodra can guarante 2hko back by thunderbolt

252+ SpA Life Orb C.A.P Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W in Sun: 152-179 (50 - 58.8%) -- 71.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

rotom can guarante 2hko back by thunderbolt

Analytic Power stops switches(and kills next turn)

Speed based evs timid nature

Timid nature
16 hp
252 spa
240 spe​
252 SpA Life Orb Analytic C.A.P Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 339-399 (94.6 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb C.A.P Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp: 238-281 (66.4 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Analytic C.A.P Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hippowdon in Sand: 439-517 (104.5 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO
general evs with modest nature
252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic C.A.P Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 369-437 (91.3 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic C.A.P Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 352-417 (89.7 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic C.A.P Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand!!!!!!!: 289-343 (71.5 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (ha godzilla's got pwned)

252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic C.A.P Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 251-296 (63.7 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

(exception cant 2hko but does not threaten you)
252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic C.A.P Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon: 195-230 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- 65.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
with bulk attacker ev's

252 Atk Scarf Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def C.A.P: 356-420 (88.5 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic C.A.P Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 372-438 (103.9 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

proof of needed 100+ speed(outspeeds and kills these mons)

252 SpA Life Orb C.A.P Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 261-308 (87.5 - 103.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 260-306 (74.4 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb C.A.P Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 198-237 (66.4 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 175-206 (50.1 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb C.A.P Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 439-517 (140.7 - 165.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With this bulk you can take a fully invested shadow ball,then with the life orb you can ohko aegislash right back with fire blast, in either of his forms. Making this cap the great counter to aegislash, even with the life orb aegislash cant ohko you, and since your speed is much higher than his you can ohko him next turn. I chose these stats because they allow you to switch in, take a shadow ball to the face and ohko aegi next turn, since you can take a shadow sneak after shadow ball (10.2% percent chance you die from life orbed "ball sneak" combo). And because of analytic unless they have goodra on their team an analytic fire blast or hydro pump from you is going to hurt like a mother if they switch. And because of his speed he can finish the job on a huge amount of bulky attackers after the analytic boosted attack. Gengar cant take fireblast or hydro pump and max special bulk clefable takes 57% - 68% from fire blast so it cant set up on or stall you. The speed stat lets you out run excadrill, landorus-T and Garchomp ohko both of the former with hydro pump and 2hko chomp. Scarf chomp can be killed by a bulky attacker ev set Cap most of the time, because of his defense stat & analytic working together. Mawile can two hit ko you easily with focus punch, but you can kill its sub in one turn making it redundant. sucker punch can two hit ko you every once in a while but fire blast is enough to end mawile in one turn so that's not a problem. Mega charizards do a very good job at threatening this core, luckily cap can outspeed 2hko both while taking solar beam from char Y and earthquake from char X. Volcarona is out sped and ohko'd easily, Assault Vest hippowdon in the sand cant take hydro pump, and choice banded talonflame fully invested brave bird does 82.9% damage to cap allowing u to fire off a hydro pump ending its life instantly, if it switchs analytic makes sure something else dies instead. Blissey can be 4hko'd but because of soft boiled/toxic/ substitute Blissey can stall you to death. Goodra completely walls you and can thunderbolt you which hurts horribly. Rotom-W resists both your stabs and can thunderbolt to death as well. so I believe with these stats, the cap can take care of it's core's threats pretty solidly and still loses to the pink blob and goodra and rotom-W.

I personally believe the meta is focused on bulky offense right now and with these stats you take a majority of meta's big hitters on, yet still abiding to being both bulky and very offensive. with analytic & fire/water typing it needs to be offensive being fast enough to take on ground types and rock, one to one, most of the time. However because of it's need of taking shadow balls for the team it cant have some giant attack stat and fast speed. Without speed though ground types can destroy you, and analytic is just like sheer force... kinda, but with high speed you can play a small mind game, if the foe switches they get massive damage but if they stay the might loose a key stone player in the battle so it puts them a confusing situation. With a 104 speed analytic is like a more lenient shadow tag that keeps people from switching for fear of the analytic boosted attack, and if they do switch they are usually punished horribly. so yeah...

possible sets
wall breaker
modest nature
choice specs/life orb
252 Hp
252+ Spa
4 def
hydro pump
over heat
scald/will o wisp
hp grass​
This sets goal is to check physical threats would threaten latias and lucario. hydro pump is the main stab it deals a very nice amount of damage and how nice coverage, overheat is meant to overpower bulky mons that arent weak to water or grass willowisp cripples powerful physical attackers and makes or defense much more usuable. but if choosing specs, scald or trick maybe a better option. hp grass is for rotom-W just in case your team member is out for the count and cant take him for you.​
lucario and latias glue
Timid nature
life orb/ leftovers
32 Hp
252 Spa
224 Spe
Fire Blast
Hydro Pump
Substitute
baton pass​
Come in on something you can easily take hits from get a sub up
and either baton pass it to lucario/ latias or start wearing down the opponent/ or destroying them. 224 spe allows out speed positve natured 100 spe fully invested opponents and speed tie jolly garchomp. Things that out speed you will be destroyed because of analytic. luckily, if they can kill the cap in one hit they are either two slow to hit you before sub or being hit, or they came in on you with a sub already out. in either of those cases you will probably destroy the opposing enemy. This set requires that Latias has defog to make sure that all hazards are gone because of the caps HUMONGOUS weakness all entry hazards. But with those hazards gone you can baton pass subs left and right and hurt almost everything in one awesome set.​
Full support
calm nature
left overs
252 Hp
200 Def
52 SpD
4 SpA
willo-wisp
subsitute
batonpass
hydro pump​
With this set you have enough bulk to take 252 atk stone edge from adamant tyranitar (2hko)and enough special bulk to take 252 spa thunderbolt from timid zapdos (2hko) this allows it to burn almost everything in the ou metagame and allows it to usually set up a sub against less immediately powerful threats and either burn, baton pass, or hydro pump them. Although hydro pump is mostly so you cant be taunt bait.​
Tying up loose ends
Why not have more Hp

with this much Hp it is impossible to setup 101 Hp subs this makes sure that blissey stays threatening to the cap at all times.

why is the SpA so small?

I chose a limit of 125 for SpA with 104 Spe because it allows the cap to hit hard with the life orb, but not amazing, and stay somewhat bulky and fast without having a ridiculously low Atk stat. It allows the cap to 2Hko a large amount of Pokemon before they can attack the cap. And although compared to many spreads here my Spa might seem low, but in OU Latios is considered a nuke with draco meteor and specs. And although fire isnt as offensive as dragon The cap would only be 5 points slower and weaker in special offense and speed meaning it would right behind him with nuking potential with specs and overheat. So in what world is 125 a weak Spa?
with analytic and life orb boosts the C.A.P's Special Attack reaches 612.8
making switches incredibly hard. Anways i personally believe that this power is just enough to make the Very threatening. and remember we aren't trying to make a chandelure he's already alive and in uu not Ou, even though thats mostly the movepool's fault. when i looked at the Ou list in Pokemon Showdown this set seems the most likely to fit in the giant stat super specialized pokemon are almost always in uu examples Darmatian, aggron, Chandelure, Rhyperior... just to name a few. While lucario, bisharp, and clefable are Ou and have rather smaller stat maximums with the highest being bisharp's 125 similar to my stat's SpA. So thats my reason for the relatively low Spa compared to the other stats it just seems like a more fitting number for Ou then 135+ to me personally.
why its good with latias and lucario?
okay let me set up and example, you have latias out your foe switches aegislash in, on the switch you defogged. But now latias is going to die if she stays in and lucario to frail to take shadowball on the switch, but Mr.C.a.p can comes in takes a shadowball to the face and then ohko with a modest nature taking into account the evasion drop, fire blast is generally going to hit and since your faster then him, as long as he doesnt run a choice item you can pretty much consistently Kill Aegislash. That speed stat although can be used to outspeed is really meant to justify a tank set with bulk and SpA investestment and no speed investment you have speed stat of 244 that outspeeds fully invested jolly t-tar, and 252+ Spe aegislash so although yes it relatively high it allows to out speed slow powerhouses with out investment and gives you ability to invest in bulk an power which gives you a chance at taking an scarfed garchomp's earthquake ohko chomp after because of the analytic boost. Or take An outrage from garchomp and Ohko him with analytic boost.
like I said to finnagin i think analytic is not meant to be a sheerforce for slowmons but more of a lenient shadow tag. I see the cap like mega gengar it comes when it can and traps the foe(although gengar actually traps the foe)by punishing switches, this allows it to act as a pokemon that can take the cores threat down, sort of like destiny bond. Without speed it loses some of it's offensive presence in the meta, sure the cap could be nuke with the other spreads which has it benefits for sure. But with a high speed you are more of a roleplayer being just bulky enough to take some decent hits and having enough speed and spa to put some major offensive pressure.

What makes this set different?
This set is different because it allows the cap to play a huge amount of different roles it can be fast offensive supporter, a fast wall breaker, and bulky tank just to name a few. It can pretty much meld to any role the teams needs as long as it stays away from trying to be physical offensive. I personally think that with this set you can let lucario and latias be whatever the want to be, be it physically defensive latias or specially offensive lucario, with this set you can change the caps role to fit effectively to what ever play style you would like. This cap's stats allows you to make the core unpredictable to the foe and hard to counter adding to the core's offensive synergy and effectiveness in the metagame.

-peace

Last edited:
Final Submission

92 HP / 51 ATK / 70 DEF / 144 SPATK / 110 SPDEF / 93 SPE
BST: 560

PT: 114.42 (Above Average)
ST: 178.14 (Excellent)
PS: 78.411 (Below Average)
SS: 214.92 (Fantastic)

BSR: 320.59

Explanation by Stat:

92 HP: First off I would like to say that this stat spread is primarily offensive, and so this entire spread was done with offense prioritized. 92 hp brings you to 325 uninvested, which is a solid life orb number. 92 hp is also fairly decent, especially combined with 110 special defense, which allows CAP to take some key hits. 92 hp also has a leftovers number sitting near full investment for running a more defensive set. With 236 hp ev's you can hit 384 which will give you an extra point of leftovers recovery every turn.

51 ATK: 51 makes a nice round 560 BST. Otherwise I would still have this at 60 (where I was still quite a bit below the BSR limit).

70 DEF: Clearly not a great stat for tanking physical hits, I was more concerned with offense. Also I wanted this spread to have an Achilles heel and I figured that PT was a better place to be lacking than ST for sake of Aegislash's shadow ball's. Most of the things that hit us hard physically are ground types, which we can't get hit by anyway unless we have ridiculous PT. For what its is worth, Azumarill can't 2HKO with either Play Rough or Aqua Jet nor OHKO with Waterfall (all those w/o Choice Band), M-Mawhile can't OHKO with Sucker Punch (has a small chance to KO with SP after SR) or Play Rough, CB Talonflame only has a chance to OHKO with Brave Bird, and Aegislash only does 33.1 - 38.9% with Shadow Sneak. This is also just enough to survive a burned Adamant Garchomp EQ (73.9 - 87.4%). All of these are assuming uninvested in defenses. I find it unfortunate that CAP cannot "counter" either of the physical fairies (Azumarill and M-Mawhile), but the tankiness it needs to that would be enormous so I would rather settle for beating them offensively or hoping for a scald burn. At the very least this spread still does farily well against them as CAP can still beat M-Mawhile 1v1 and Azumarill really does not like switching in and taking that extra Analytic damage.

144 SPATK: Burninate all the things! The SPE/SPATK combo is what sets my submission apart from the others IMO. First off, 144 SPATK is enough power to have a 50/50 shot of KOing Aegislash without a life orb, which is pretty amazing. Yes, the SS is hella close to the limit but I have held SS paramount from the beginning and was always going to give this CAP as much power as I could and limit it in other areas.

Some Calculations:
  • 252+ SpA CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 300-354 (92.5 - 109.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA CAP Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 218-260 (56.4 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Life Orb CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 478-564 (112.7 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA CAP Surf vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 380-450 (99.4 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 404-476 (132.8 - 156.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic CAP Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 214-253 (52.9 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Get rekt stupid rabbit mouse)
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic CAP Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 195-230 (60.3 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Analytic CAP Hydro Pump vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 356-420 (114.1 - 134.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA CAP Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 193-228 (56.1 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (because I don't have to tell you what fire blast does)
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Analytic CAP Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 320-377 (79.2 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Not even army Godzilla can switch in)
  • 252+ SpA CAP Hydro Pump vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 286-337 (102.5 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
144 spatk wrecks nearly everything, most importantly it wrecks almost anything Aegislash might want to switch to. Damn him if he stays in, damn him if he switches out. CAP's best option for aiding the core is being a wallbreaker and a high spatk stat lets him do just that.

110 SPDEF: Obviously I had an offensive life orb set in mind when designing this spread, but I knew some SPDEF was in order for taking Aegislash's mighty shadow balls. Uninvested in HP or SPDEF, Modest Aegislash does 45 - 53.3% with Shadow Ball which is only a very small chance to 2HKO, however LO Aegislash is guaranteed to 2HKO. Add an Assualt Vest to the mix however, and even LO 252+ Aegislash can only do 39.5 - 46.6%, which is a guaranteed 3HKO, which is plenty of room to KO back. CAP can also tank Charizard-Y's Fire Blast easily, and Zard has to go Modest to even have a chance of 2HKOing with SolarBeam or Air Slash while we 2HKO back with Hydro Pump even w/o Life Orb (Zard has no chance to 2HKO if we hold an assault vest). Rotom-W is still an issue, but CAP can at least only takes ~50% from Volt Switch and is not OHKO'd by the rare Thunderbolt (Assuming SPDEF set on Rotom).

93 SPE: 103 speed would be really cool to have a chance vs Garchomp but there is already another submission with 103 speed and it is really great, admittedly better than mine was when I had 103 speed. 92 is the minimum needed to outspeed Landorus-T who is a significant and common threat, but Mega-Garchomp sits at 92 also so bumping up to 93 doesn't hurt. 93 speed still easily outspeeds no-scarf Excadrill and can outspeed 252 spe Aegislash (though not 252+, you have to go up to 103) without any speed investment. Excadrill is most important though, as he can nearly 1HKO the entire core and Aegislash rarely runs speed investment and Landorus-T usually runs scarf. 93 speed also makes CAP just barely to slow to sweep, hopefully encouraging use alongside Lucario and his powerful priority.

tl;dr- lots of power, good speed, mediocre physical tankiness, and good enough special tankiness for an offensive but balanced spread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)