Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wish I actually had a grasp of what the metagame is right now. It's like some monster made of glued together parts because no one is running any deck consistently

play UTH with no charge - draw cards
opponant has a chance to get rid of any stupid Hyenas
UTH now - draw cards, smash hounds against a taunter, get buffed Hyena...... the issue I have is the Hyena part, I do not see a game as "stratergy" if you can't actually be strategic, these cards are in thier hand, they get played, your taunter gets smashed, they get superbuffed Hyena... your turn.
that is what I have issues with, unless I happen to have a nice silence or card to get rid of the threat i'm stuffed, whereas if there is no charge the Hounds dont smash your taunter, and you can deal with it.

Mkay I'm deleting this shit off my iPad before I accidentally smash my iPad, nothing is fucking lamer than whittling down an opponent to 1 in arena just to see them make some miracle comeback out of their fucking ass whe I'm up 28 health because they literally draw every damn card that works.

/end rant

Or in other words I give up, I have better things to be pissed off at than this dumb blizzard game. Like why that stupid boss won't drop the loot I need in their other game >.>

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mkay I'm deleting this shit off my iPad before I accidentally smash my iPad, nothing is fucking lamer than whittling down an opponent to 1 in arena just to see them make some miracle comeback out of their fucking ass whe I'm up 28 health because they literally draw every damn card that works.

/end rant

Or in other words I give up, I have better things to be pissed off at than this dumb blizzard game. Like why that stupid boss won't drop the loot I need in their other game >.>
If you lose while your opponent is at 1 health you were never winning to begin with.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Draft Ysera for the first time, 7 arena games and 2 losses in and I had yet to play it (I had a very aggro hunter deck). I finally coin in Ysera... and a chain of Faceless Manipulators results in 4 Yseras on the board. Good times.

I won the fight by the way, he had a better board and lower health when my first Ysera dropped, so Ysera Awakened hurt him more.

The other day I also had a game where all in all about 10 Harvest Golems were played.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus

/end rant

HP at the end of the day is nothing but a resource. Some people do have balls of steel waiting for just the right hand. I mean yeah it's sort of suicidal but that's the nature of high risk, high return. Sucks to be on the receiving end though.

Matthew

I don't think UTH was a broken card but you have to admit that in Hunter it offered a great deal more synergy than is currently seen with Hearthstone's limited card pool. Eventually it should in no way be unreasonable, but I understand why it might seem that way right now. But then making it a 3 also isn't much of a nerf at all.
Double post because I missed this:

the nerf from 2 mana to 3 mana is huge, actually. This means you don't fear UTH buzzard on turn 4 (which is considered a big turn in most decks) and you can't do UTH Buzzard Timber Hyena until turn seven, which is also a huge turn as far as things go.

Few decks rely on turn eight, or nine, and ten (aside from Miracle and Control Warrior) so they're missing on the big turns to pull off the crazy combos. While I do think the UTH nerf was unneeded I think the actual problem lies within the Buzzard. I might be crazy with that thought, but if I was going to nerf Hunters I would have gone after the Buzzard and not UTH.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Well UTH is certainly a big part of the problem, since Buzzard is only a drawing machine in combination with it. Buzzard's otherwise not that amazing, since even if you hold onto it forever and chain cheapies to draw a bunch, you're effectively just cantripping your undersized-at-this-point dudes. It's like control Warrior cycling their Whirlwind on an Acolyte of Pain against another control deck, on a larger scale. "The problem" is when Buzzard + UTH draws three or more cards on Turn 4-6 while simultaneously eating the opponent's board up. Arcane Intellect doesn't wipe your opponent's board and Consecration doesn't replace itself two-fold.

I'm more a fan of pushing Buzzard's draw to on-death, which prevents rolling into Hunter's Mark / Timber Wolf before committing doges to attack and also makes way more flavor sense, but bumping up UTH's mana cost at least pushes back Hunter's power play a turn. Aggro decks gain a crucial extra turn to push damage through and it becomes generally harder for Hunters to pull off ridiculous burst damage combos. (e.g. Leeroy + UTH + Timber Wolf + Kill Command is no longer possible at all.) Allowing Buzzard to draw only on playing Beast minions rather than on every Beast summoned, or at least only one draw per card played, are also better solutions.

Hunters won't die off by any means, this is a minor power nerf... They shouldn't anyway, I dunno maybe HS players will take after League of Legends players and Hunters will drop to -1% usage. "The combo" is still fully intact, the nerf doesn't really solve the problem so much as make it slightly less of one, and UTH still has synergy with everything where Hunter's opponent has to tread a careful line between "get blown out by UTH combos" and "get blown out by Deadly Shot / Hunter's Mark / losing board position to major threats like Savannah Highmane."

Hitting Buzzard would've be preferable if I had to pick between the two, because that nips the problem in the card-splooging bud, but I think UTH itself needed the nerf anyway to mitigate Hunter's burst potential. It's better than nothing to hopefully reduce Hunter being literally half of the metagame.

Last edited:
and Buzzard+snake trap is still a stronger combo because the trap activates if you hit the buzzard and the Buzzard gives the cards.

Matthew

Buzzard + Trap is not stronger because it will never go off while you have Buzzard on the field. Your opponent will remove it with spells, remove it with hero ability, remove it with creature ability, or straight up ignore it.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
My first 12 wins with arena! It was mage and I felt dirty doing it because I drafted a Pyroblast lol.

Game winning turn

Key animation + decklist (I didn't know you can't scroll down in the decklist so the cards cut off are 1x Blizzard, 1x Ravenholdt Assassin, 1x Stormwind Champion, and 1x Pyroblast)

500 gold, not bad.

Shitty pack to be expected.

Highlights of this run:
-Me going too fast and pinging my own Worgen because it was over the enemy minion when I released the mouse
-Clutch Polymorphs on stuff like Ironbarks, Stormwinds, and Frostwolf Warlords
-Pretty much perfect opening hands every run post-mulligan (1 drop into 2 3 drops when I was player 2 was common)
-Like 4-5 of the wins were from Pyroblast lol
-Yolo Mad Bombers that worked like 1/5 times
-Counterspell being useful, canceling a Starfall and like 2 Frostbolts or something

Matthew

What's everyone's current build? I'm experimenting with a Shaman deck:

Strong against Zoo, Hunter, and Miracle. Weak against control Warrior.

What are your builds, guys?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I am confused as to how it can be all that strong against Zoo without Lightning Bolt, nor Rockbiter Weapon, but I suppose Earth Elemental is very good against them. There's no toilets for extra draw power. It's certainly very interesting though. You should strongly consider using Ragnaros with how well he can be supported in there (castable with Ancestral Spirit, or taunt him up with Sunfury, and Earth Ele is a BGH magnet).

I'm still being lazy and not caring too much about climbing the ladder again yet. I might attempt it with my combo-less Priest build because I really like the Priest class but I hate the combo builds because, unlike, say, Paladin's Pyromancer / Equality / Consecration holy trinity, the cards aren't good on their own. Circle of Healing is downright garbage and Injured Blademaster is unremarkably average. Soulpriest is objectively good but she's too anti-synergistic with other, more important Priest cards: Northshire Cleric won't be drawing you anything and you effectively can't even cast Holy Nova or Holy Fire with it active.

Matthew

I am confused as to how it can be all that strong against Zoo without Lightning Bolt, nor Rockbiter Weapon, but I suppose Earth Elemental is very good against them. There's no toilets for extra draw power. It's certainly very interesting though. You should strongly consider using Ragnaros with how well he can be supported in there (castable with Ancestral Spirit, or taunt him up with Sunfury, and Earth Ele is a BGH magnet).

I'm still being lazy and not caring too much about climbing the ladder again yet. I might attempt it with my combo-less Priest build because I really like the Priest class but I hate the combo builds because, unlike, say, Paladin's Pyromancer / Equality / Consecration holy trinity, the cards aren't good on their own. Circle of Healing is downright garbage and Injured Blademaster is unremarkably average. Soulpriest is objectively good but she's too anti-synergistic with other, more important Priest cards: Northshire Cleric won't be drawing you anything and you effectively can't even cast Holy Nova or Holy Fire with it active.
The key is knowing when the proper time to Future Sight. It's not just spam it it's when you have a higher chance of getting your combo cards or Legendaries. 6 mana Ysera kills games and 2 mana faceless or Earth Ele becomes very threatening. Giants also help against Zoo and Hand. Though I say Hand has the favorable matchup. Leeroy Miracle (not Maly) is also favorable due to their saps but that's about it.

The key is knowing when the proper time to Future Sight. It's not just spam it it's when you have a higher chance of getting your combo cards or Legendaries. 6 mana Ysera kills games and 2 mana faceless or Earth Ele becomes very threatening. Giants also help against Zoo and Hand. Though I say Hand has the favorable matchup. Leeroy Miracle (not Maly) is also favorable due to their saps but that's about it.
No, the key to using farsight successfully is to go into your collection, click the card and then hit disenchant.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why spend 3 mana to draw a card and reduce its cost by three mana, when you can just not run Far Sight and just draw the card instead (and spend 3 mana on it)? Seems like a waste of a card in a deck...
Because it filters out your deck. By using that card, you're one card closer to what you need for any particular situation, and if you happen to draw something expensive with it, you can drop it three turns earlier than what you could have otherwise.

It's not the best card, but it's still pretty neat. The main problem with it in my opinion is that Shaman's three slot is generally already packed. You've got Unbound Elemental, Spirit Dogs, Hex, and then lots of situational cards like Harvest Golem, Blood Knight, Lava Burst, etc.

I'm actually still running midrange Hunter, and it's still really strong imo. Unleash at 3 mana is still really good, and with Handlock fucking everyone right now for me at least, it's a nice, easy matchup. You have have to tweak it a little bit to make it more anti-aggro because you can't rely on Unleash anymore. I've been running two Explosive Trap, and it's been fine.

Matthew

It's a segment of deck thinning, as Hollywood explained. I can draw my combos and play my combos easier because of the card. Being able to drop a turn 6 Ysera or Alex is amazing. Two mana Earth Ele is probably the strongest turn 4 in the game (though rare). And free Lightning Storms or 3 cost Fire Eles are a God send (as Shaman avoids turn 4 in general).

Deck thinning is the point why Novice Engineer had to be nerfed because it was too strong of a card. It's now incredibly weaker and probably inferior to Loot Hoarder at this point.

Anyway, Hollywood are you running the Life Coach build or the Kolento build? I think the Kolento build probably handled the UTH change the best, as it didn't really rely on the combo as much as Life Coach or face does (though face has become more dominant, the hell?). Scar + Houndmaster must be one of the best combos in the game.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I used to run the Kolento build because I liked it much better than sunshine, but I'm actually not sure which build I'm closest to now. Do you have links to the current builds?

Matthew

I used to run the Kolento build because I liked it much better than sunshine, but I'm actually not sure which build I'm closest to now. Do you have links to the current builds?
Sunshine

Puffin

Life Coach

Savjz

I'd say these are the best of the mid-game hunter decks. Probably put Life Coach as #1 but I'm a fan of monkey, what can I say.

EDIT:

Savjz's is the most interesting though because he basically just says, "fuck it" to UTH.

Last edited:
Just kinda curious, what kind of cards does Ysera give you when it's out? It says something about some emerald dream card, but it doesn't really say like what it is or what they can do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)