Mediocre-Mons (VENOMOTH BANNED!)

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Approved by Arcticblast, Hollywood and The Immortal
credit Banner: Agous

This Metagame bans all Pokemon with a Base Stat of Base 100 or higher. This means that with relatively low stats you can shine is this metagame. 95 Speed is a really high speed tier, 90 Defenses are above average and you can easily sweep with 90 Attacking Stats. It also equalizes potential as nothing is particularly outstanding, as all outstanding Pokemon have been eliminated.

List of Pokemon:
Allowed Pokemon said:
Clefable
Mawile
Diggersby
Klefki
Ditto
Kingdra
Medicham
Sableye
Smeargle
Malamar
Quagsire
Abomasnow
Slurpuff
Xatu
Arbok
Ariados
Basculin
Beedrill
Bibarel
Butterfree
Castform
Chatot
Cherrim
Chimecho
Combusken
Corsola
Delcatty
Delibird
Dewgong
Dragonair
Dustox
Farfetch’d
Ferroseed
Furret
Gabite
Garbodor
Girafarig
Glalie
Golbat
Golduck
Illumise
Kricketune
Lampent
Lumineon
Lunatone
Luvdisc
Masquerain
Mightyena
Minun
Misdreavus
Monferno
Mothim
Murkrow
Natu
Nidoqueen
Pachirisu
Parasect
Phione
Pikachu
Plusle
Poliwrath
Qwilfish
Raticate
Rotom
Seadra
Seaking
Shedinja
Solrock
Spinda
Stantler
Swanna
Tropius
Unown
Venomoth
Vigoroth
Vivillon
Volbeat
Wartortle
Watchog
Whirlipede
Wormadam-Trash
Zweilous
And most Pokemon listed in NFE/LC (Not all)
Banlist:
Banlist said:
Standard Clauses
Pure Power
Huge Power
Mega's that have Stats of 100 or more are banned
Clefable
Kingdra
Venomoth
Threatlist (Put in Pokemon with sets and they might get in the threatlist):
[Coming Later]
Offensive:
Defensive:
Supportive:

Viability Ranking

Replays (Good replays will be put in here):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mirageisland-mediocremons-178
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mirageisland-mediocremons-179
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mediocremons-136812320

Playable on the Main Server!

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love the idea of this OM, reducing OU strategies to weaker Pokemon is actually a pretty fun thing to do.

A few things that should be good :
  • Sableye. I don't think I need to explain this since this Pokemon is already pretty annoying to face as it is. Klefki also seems really tough to deal with.
  • Clefable. It's already one of the best Pokemon on OU, so I can see it eventually getting banned. Paired up with Quagsire, it gives Stall a really good core to abuse.
  • Stall in general looks really good. There are some pretty solid stallbreakers though, like Nidoqueen, so Stall may not be all that great.

Last edited:
I tested this format and it was great! It brings up the potential in many viable, lower tier pokemons.

Some threats that are definitely to be considered is
- Kingdra : Well rounded stats, great typing and many viable movesets.
- Nidoqueen : Great clefable check, good defenses and sheer force life orb can pack a punch!
- Vivillon : With access to quiver dance, vivillon can be a potential set up sweeper that may sweep unprepared teams, although it is rather frail.

Diggersby won't be too much of a threat because of huge power ban.

Pikachu: This thing will wreck. When holding a light ball, it has the potential to hit harder than Groudon with physical moves and maximal investment, and hit as hard as Aegislash with maximal Special Attack investment. Add encore, Lightning Rod, Nasty Plot and a decent base speed and you have a dangerous sweeper.

Basculin @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Crunch

In addition to hitting the highest unboosted speed tier in the metagame, Basculin also has access to Adaptability to make its STAB attack incredibly powerful. Great revenge killer as well with Adaptability Aqua Jet.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Moonblast

This set is one of my favorites in the Metagame. It forgoes Softboiled for more offensive presence as it gets perfect coverage in this metagame, surprising the Poison types that usually do well against it. The lack of good fire types in the metagame really makes this set better as the only "defensive" fire type you can get is.. ponyta. This way it can easily set up with Calm Mind and destroy most Stall teams, but unlike most other things that work well against stall, it can work well too against offense because it's nice defenses can absorb most hits and it's coverage and power can make sure it can OHKO or 2HKO most things.

Has anyone else used this Clefable set, or is there another set you enjoy using?

Also if we wanna ban anything Nidoqueen and Clefable should be the first suspects.

With Sticky Web support, Life Orb Critdra is going to be a pain in the ass. Since the tier is so small, Shedinja might also see good amount of usage.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Qwilfish is fast, powerful, reasonably bulky and pretty supportive in this meta. Spikes and Taunt are great tools, and it can take on most physical threats by the look of it.

Castform might be used more.
And Phione seems good.
This tier is home of threatening mons such as Clefable, Nidoqueen, Kingdra, Abomansow, Malamar, Poliwrath, Venomoth, Vivillon, Chatot, Rotom-N, Quagsire etc. There is hardly space for these two to even give them a try. Castform still has low stats, Phione still has barren movepool, lacking even Calm Mind.

Frogadier @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse/Grass Knot/Hidden Power Grass
- U-turn/Hidden Power Fire/Toxic Spikes
I'll always find a way to bring my ninjas in! Wahaha. Also fastest Pokemon in the metagame I think.

Anyways, Quagsire, Clefable and Kingdra seem like they'll be pretty insane, but maybe not banworthy. I look forward to using Pikachu, Frogadier, Combusken and such here! Also funny how Vibrava's allowed yet Trapinch isn't.

Swords Dance or Bulk Up Diggersby could still be solid here btw.

EDIT: Okay so Basculin and Swanna outspeed, and Raticate and Luvdisc tie, but still 4fast2u

Last edited:

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Hey guys, are you having trouble with Kingdra?
Then I have the thing for you:

Delibird @ Assault Vest
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 96 SAtk / 252 SDef / 136 Atk / 24 HP
Sassy Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Aerial Ace
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch

Freeze-Dry with 96 SAtk EVs can 1HKO Kingdra after Stealth Rock or prior damage:
96 SpA Delibird Freeze Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kingdra: 256-304 (87.9 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

The Assault Vest and 24/252 special bulk are 3HKO'd by every move Kingdra has bar Hydro Pump.

Ice Punch, Aerial Ace, and Ice Shard are fillers that abuse Hustle. Aerial Ace does have a good use though which is hitting Venomoth super-effectively. Also it can beat Nidoqueen after prior damage.

Freeze-Dry with 96 SAtk EVs can 1HKO Kingdra after Stealth Rock or prior damage:
96 SpA Delibird Freeze Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kingdra: 256-304 (87.9 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Kingdra will always run Flash Cannon because of Fairies.

252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Delibird on a critical hit: 267-315 (90.8 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

And that's with Full investment in HP and SpD, with a SpD-boosting nature. I guess if there's anything that can stop Kingdra, it's a Clefable with full investment in HP and some investment in SpD. That too takes good prediction.

Snaquaza

KACAW
Frogadier @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse/Grass Knot/Hidden Power Grass
- U-turn/Hidden Power Fire/Toxic Spikes
I'll always find a way to bring my ninjas in! Wahaha. Also fastest Pokemon in the metagame I think.

Anyways, Quagsire, Clefable and Kingdra seem like they'll be pretty insane, but maybe not banworthy. I look forward to using Pikachu, Frogadier, Combusken and such here! Also funny how Vibrava's allowed yet Trapinch isn't.

Swords Dance or Bulk Up Diggersby could still be solid here btw.
Basculin and Swanna still outspeed it at 98 speed I believe. Haven't used/seen it yet but looks solid. I'll try to use it sometine lateron.

Pikachu: This thing will wreck. When holding a light ball, it has the potential to hit harder than Groudon with physical moves and maximal investment, and hit as hard as Aegislash with maximal Special Attack investment. Add encore, Lightning Rod, Nasty Plot and a decent base speed and you have a dangerous sweeper.
0 Atk Smeargle Explosion vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 177-208 (83.4 - 98.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0- Atk Hustle Corsola Head Smash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 271-321 (127.8 - 151.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pikachu on a critical hit: 733-864 (347.3 - 409.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Luvdisc Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pikachu: 171-202 (81 - 95.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Farfetch'd Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pikachu on a critical hit: 210-247 (99.5 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Ferroseed Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pikachu: 144-169 (68.2 - 80%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of spikes
TL;DR Pikachu is so god damn frail, anything that lives a hit or is sashed wins.

with sticky web everywhere, contrary malamar will probably see a rise in usage.
Moth and Slurpuff seem a bit... over the top right now. Almost NOTHING walls +6 unburden slurpuff, meaning you have to resort to priority. As for moth, well, it's moth.

Slowpoke could be a great bulky calm mind user...

Slowpoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Ice Beam

After two Calm Mind boosts, its defenses become 368/377/399, but the EV's are tweakable. Sometimes it struggles to do much damage, so a more stall-oriented set with Toxic or Thunder Wave could be used.

canno

formerly The Reptile
So Xatu looks pretty cool - its one of the hardest hitting special attackers in the tier (Base 95 is the highest SpA in the tier), and it has a really good speed of 95, only being outsped by the 98's and 97's. Magic Bounce is really cool here too, as it can't be paralyzed by status moves or anything. Here's a cool set imo

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Heat Wave / Shadow Ball
- U-turn / Shadow Ball
- Roost / Shadow Ball

Also, is no one going to mention Eviolite and how it's a thing? The only mention of eviolite is slowpoke, which is a very scary mon.

EDIT: VIVILLON IS HERE GG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)