Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Game Freak wil go this route, but I hope that Mega Sceptile gets an Attack increase and Mega Swampert a Special Attack increase. Resasons for this is that Sceptile can boost its Attack with Swords Dance, have an Adamant nature and still outspeed Greninja, the fastest OU relevant attacker after Deoxys-S, as long as its new Speed stat is 140 or higher. Dragon STAB provides good neutral coverage while his other moves cover some weaknesses (Leaf Blade knocks out Hippowdon, Quagsire and Azumarill; Earthquake kills Mega Mawile and other non levitating Steels and Rock Slide knocks out Talonflame and Mega Pinsir on the switch). Unlike most sweepers, Thundurus can't paralyze him with Thunder Wave.

As for Mega Swampert, his Special moves have higher base Power than his Phyisical moves. Also, Mega Swampert doesn't have the option to boosts neither his Attack (Kabutops has Swords Dance) or his Special Attack (Kingdra and Ludicolo at least can hold items) and he can't hold a Life Orb. Although if Mega Swampert doesn't keep up with the rest of Rain Dance sweepers he can attack with both ends of the spectrum as a standalone rain sweeper.

It's obvious that Sceptile is getting a boost on its Special Attack (Lightning rod) and Speed. Probably more bulky. I mean, in the CoroCoro leak you can see him use a special attack, and swampert using a physical attack.

Stat predictions

Swampert will be a steamroller, considering swift swim:

I doubt Game Freak wil go this route, but I hope that Mega Sceptile gets an Attack increase and Mega Swampert a Special Attack increase. Resasons for this is that Sceptile can boost its Attack with Swords Dance, have an Adamant nature and still outspeed Greninja, the fastest OU relevant attacker after Deoxys-S, as long as its new Speed stat is 140 or higher. Dragon STAB provides good neutral coverage while his other moves cover some weaknesses (Leaf Blade knocks out Hippowdon, Quagsire and Azumarill; Earthquake kills Mega Mawile and other non levitating Steels and Rock Slide knocks out Talonflame and Mega Pinsir on the switch). Unlike most sweepers, Thundurus can't paralyze him with Thunder Wave.

As for Mega Swampert, his Special moves have higher base Power than his Phyisical moves. Also, Mega Swampert doesn't have the option to boosts neither his Attack (Kabutops has Swords Dance) or his Special Attack (Kingdra and Ludicolo at least can hold items) and he can't hold a Life Orb. Although if Mega Swampert doesn't keep up with the rest of Rain Dance sweepers he can attack with both ends of the spectrum as a standalone rain sweeper.
I doubt that Mega Swampert will get a big special attack increase, if one at all, just because they made it so bulky. This indicates a large rise in its Attack and Defense (and maybe Special Defense). Plus the only pros of Special over physical for Swampert are Scald, Hydro Pump and Ice Beam. Swamp still has Earthquake as the stronger Ground move and Stone Edge and Waterfall and Ice Punch aren't bad either.
I really hope that Mega Sceptile gets at least a +30 Attack boost though. Its movepool is begging for it, but I think GameFreak will give a bigger stat increase in Sp. Attack because of Lightningrod.

I think they use Leer and Tackle.

On a serious note Groudon might be using Earthquake while Kyogre seems to be using Sheer Cold or something.
lel.

But yeah, that's definitely not Earthquake. Earthquake looks like this. I've never actually seen the sprites for Sheer Cold, Water Spout, Fissure, or Eruption. Maybe it's one of those?

Edit: Found the sprites for Sheer Cold and Fissure. That's not it. It's not Blizzard either in Kyogre's picture.

Edit2: Not Eruption either.

Edit3: These are new moves aren't they? I don't see anything in Kyogre or Groudon's movepool that would look remotely like this.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I misread that, but did -Green- say Swampert can't boost his attack? Because Curse Swampert is a classic set. Sure, it wont be as useful on Mega Swampert due to lack of leftovers, but who knows move tutors have in store for him (I'd totally be down with Drain Punch).

Boy, I'm almost hoping we don't get Gen 2 starters, ala X and Y with Gen 1. I'm way too hyped to use Swampert now, but I don't want to have to choose between him and a potential Mega Feraligatr. I mean, obviously I'd end up using both if it came to that, but I try use different types that bring different things to the table on my teams.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
lel.

But yeah, that's definitely not Earthquake. Earthquake looks like this. I've never actually seen the sprites for Sheer Cold, Water Spout, Fissure, or Eruption. Maybe it's one of those?

Edit: Found the sprites for Sheer Cold and Fissure. That's not it. It's not Blizzard either in Kyogre's picture.

Edit2: Not Eruption either.

Edit3: These are new moves aren't they? I don't see anything in Kyogre or Groudon's movepool that would look remotely like this.
Or... y'know... they could have just redesigned the animations of certain moves like they do from game to game.

During the turn of Mega Evolution, speed is determined by the pure stat of the original Pokémon. Assuming Rain is already in play, Mega Evolving Swampert would double its original speed instantly? The same is true for Venusaur's first turn in the Sun if I'm not mistaken. If so, Swampert may be a staple Mega on in-game rain teams. Cheers to Waterfall hax.

Just got to thinking, Diantha gives the player a Ralts with a Gardevoirite in the post-game... I'll be checking Steven's house in Mossdeep after beating him to see if that Beldum is holding anything.

Last edited:
Or... y'know... they could have just redesigned the animations of certain moves like they do from game to game.
In the 3D era? That's WAY too much work, even for GameFreak. And the differences between the move Groudon is using and Earthquake are way too extreme anyways. Earthquake has always looked similar to that and I wouldn't believe it if they changed it.

I'm pretty sure that Kyogre and Groudon are receiving signature moves, finally.

dialganet

Banned deucer.
During the turn of Mega Evolution, speed is determined by the pure stat of the original Pokémon. Assuming Rain is already in play, Mega Evolving Swampert would double its original speed instantly? The same is true for Venusaur's first turn in the Sun if I'm not mistaken. If so, Swampert may be a staple Mega on in-game rain teams. Cheers to Waterfall hax.
But Venusaur works in the opposite way. It's Chlorophyll-->Thick Fat, not Torrent-->Swift Swim. The turn order is decided before megaevolving, on the first turn SS shouldn't activate. Venusaur acts first if he switches in the sun and then megaevolves, Alakazam needs to be evolved in order to trace SS, Sand Rush, Chlorophyll and outspeed Excadrill and alike.

I have got to say that this information is everything I hoped for. Don't care about Diancie but the Hoenn starters have always been my favorite and I'm glad Swampert and Sceptile have gained their megas. But ORAS will be so much more.

I put countless hours into these games and always felt like they would be so much better if the pokemon could just tap their full potential. Limited movepools and the lack of a physical/special split really hindered many of Hoenn's pokemon, in my opinion (see: Crawdaunt, Flygon, Breloom, etc) since they were forced to use their weaker stats or just didn't have many options to begin with. Now, that's all changed. Throw in dramatic environments in relative 3D (that screenshot of the waterfalls behind Steven, doe), secret bases, the likely return of contests, and an updated storyline and these are poised to be the best remakes yet.

Blaziken, you had your time in pokemon X. Time to rock Sceptile and Swampert in AS and OR, respectively.

Agonist

In the 3D era? That's WAY too much work, even for GameFreak. And the differences between the move Groudon is using and Earthquake are way too extreme anyways. Earthquake has always looked similar to that and I wouldn't believe it if they changed it.

I'm pretty sure that Kyogre and Groudon are receiving signature moves, finally.
Doubt it. They most likely redesigned the moves to make the fight against them more dramatic.

I'm not sure if I misread that, but did -Green- say Swampert can't boost his attack? Because Curse Swampert is a classic set. Sure, it wont be as useful on Mega Swampert due to lack of leftovers, but who knows move tutors have in store for him (I'd totally be down with Drain Punch).
Well, yeah, he can. But as a Swift Swimmer he doesn't want to lower his Speed.

Agonist

Well, yeah, he can. But as a Swift Swimmer he doesn't want to lower his Speed.
Swampert is faster than fair number of other Swift Swimmers right now with just base 60 Spe. Even if it keeps base 60 Speed, it's still hitting 438 Spe in Rain with a neutral nature, or 480 with a +Spe nature. If its speed gets lowered (which is doubtful, since it has an ability the focuses on raising it), then it might become a problem, but I'm doubtful it will be lowered.

Swampert is faster than fair number of other Swift Swimmers right now with just base 60 Spe. Even if it keeps base 60 Speed, it's still hitting 438 Spe in Rain with a neutral nature, or 480 with a +Spe nature. If its speed gets lowered (which is doubtful, since it has an ability the focuses on raising it), then it might become a problem, but I'm doubtful it will be lowered.
I believe that -Green- was referring to Curse, rather than a base stat change to lower Swampert's speed.

Also, I'm really confused at Sceptile's ability. Why in the world would it need an Electric immunity (when it's already 4x resistant to Electric) or a potential Special Attack boost (when almost all of its level-up moves are Physical).

Remember when people thought Mega Mawile's base attack would be lowered or kept the same because of Huge Power, and then it turned out to go up?

The discussions over Swampert not getting a SpAtt increase and Sceptile not getting an attack increase are funny.

Seeing as how Swampert's signature move is special and Sceptile's is physical.

I won't rule anything out until I see the final product or hear it from an official announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)