The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

I was playing Super Multis at the maison, my opponent were a Ninetales and a Gastrodon. I don't remember what I was using, but my partner was a Feraligatr with Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Earthquake and Ice Punch. The following turn my partner uses Aqua Jet on the Gastrodon, but doesn't work since it had Storm Drain. I KO the Gastrodon the next turn, and my partner uses Ice Punch on the Ninetales. Not so bad, he must have been aiming for Gastrodon, though the Ninetales KOs my pokemon and then the Feraligatr proceeds to spam Ice Punch three times on Ninetales... instead of his water moves of freaking Earthquake. Naturally Ninetales doesn't even feel it and gradually wears down and KOs Feraligatr costing me the run.
I have a similar story. Simply put, my AI partner's Cresselia thought it would be a smart idea to spam Helping Hand after I died.

Hmm. That's a tough one. I think the most hilarious encounter that I've had with the AI's lack silly plays was when I was battling Caitlin for the first time in the Elite Four. Similar to WPS's encounter, I had sent out my Zoroark disguised as another pokemon (in this case, my Entei). All of her pokemon kept using psychic-type attacks, even after the first one failed miserably.

On the bright side, my Zoroark leveled up like a champ.

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
During my last play through of Pokemon Crystal, I was in the Rocket Base Hideout. Most of the Rocket Pokemon consisted of Weezings and Koffings. I was leveling my Pidgeot at the time and because movepools were limited, Fly was my most powerful move. Id like to imagine that every Rocket Grunt had at least one pokemon with Explosion. I'd send out Pidgeot to take em out. The AI would Explode. Every. Single. Time. Pidgeot remained unharmed for the most part, but I was baffled that the AI hit Explosion very quickly everytime I was in the air.

My personal favorite was fighting Diantha in X and Y. I had just defeated Hawlucha with Mega-Blaziken, and so she brilliantly decided to send in Aurorus. One Hi-Jump Kick to the face, and it promptly fainted.

My personal favorite was fighting Diantha in X and Y. I had just defeated Hawlucha with Mega-Blaziken, and so she brilliantly decided to send in Aurorus. One Hi-Jump Kick to the face, and it promptly fainted.
I believe that all her "switch-ins" are scripted in that particular order. I have used a few very different teams, and the sequence of her team was the same every time. So much for the Kalos Champ, huh?

Non-attacking moves. These are great when used correctly! If you decide to screech three times while I kill you and don't both to try attacking once, that's not using non-attacking moves correctly.

Edit: Come to think of it, the Voltorbs that were screeching were Sonicboom spammers anyway. Even if you decided to attack, whyyyyyy bother lowering my defense?

Last edited:
Just had one while replaying Platinum. I set up my Budew with Growth, and Shinx's Roar sent out my HM slave, Bibarel. I used Rollout (extremely stupid) and the Shinx used Spark, which was a 2HKO. Had to use it again, and the Shinx used... Bite. The next Rollout KO'd it.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I've encountered a lopunny holding a toxic orb in the battle maison a few times. Of course, that lopunny never seems to have klutz, so it always ends up statusing itself. I don't think it's ever actually used trick to put that item on my pokemon, and you'd think just using the move toxic would have more utility.

I remember once during my Platinum Nuzlocke, I was fighting Candice. I had no one to evolve Scizor with, so my Scyther was fighting unevolved. I was planning to kill Abomasnow with Technician Naughty Wing Attack, and figured that once that was done I'd switch straight back to Empoleon and continue sweeping.

Scyther did 80% instead of the 100% i was expecting. I honestly thought I was gonna lose him and then...

The foe's Abomasnow used Focus Blast!

The attack of the foe's Abomasnow missed!

AI Question: Pokemon with Ice STAB vs. an unevolved Pokemon with Base 80 Defense that is weak to said STAB?
Solution: Use 4x resisted Special move with crap accuracy :D

at least Scyther lived (and he was at full HP too, I've seen AI's try to finish off weakened Pokemon with neutral or NVE moves, but this is the first time an AI used a 4x resist on a full HP mon for me)

^I can't help but notice that this would have been Abomasnow's most effective move if you actually had switched to Empoleon instead of attacking. Empoleon 4x resists Ice, resists Water, is neutral to Grass, but weak to Fighting. It was probably mis-predicting a switch.
I think AIs are just dumb. In White, I fought Marshall using a Thundurus and a Cobalion. Thundurus would use Volt Switch to switch out to Cobalion, who would take a Rock or Dark-type move, and then Cobalion would use Volt Switch and switch out to Thundurus, who would take an Earthquake (or, if I'm unlucky, a fight-type move). I repeated that pattern until I could easily have Thundurus OHKO with Fly on each of Marshall's pokemon, but he never predicted the switch.

I once had my Tyranitar out frolicking in the sandstorm that it whips up and the AI thought that it would be a good idea to use endure to survive the onslaught that was about to be unleashed upon it. The pokemon survived the attack with 1HP, only for the sandstorm to faint it at the end of the turn anyway...

I've lost count of the times that the AI used Growl on special attackers...

And also:

A Meditite spamming Meditate until it died (or other Pokémon with other non-attacking moves).
A Riolu using Counter on a special attacker
Using Curse with a Ghost-type.

Swaggering my own tempo lickylicky.
That's actually often good... with Foul Play.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think AIs are just dumb. In White, I fought Marshall using a Thundurus and a Cobalion. Thundurus would use Volt Switch to switch out to Cobalion, who would take a Rock or Dark-type move, and then Cobalion would use Volt Switch and switch out to Thundurus, who would take an Earthquake (or, if I'm unlucky, a fight-type move). I repeated that pattern until I could easily have Thundurus OHKO with Fly on each of Marshall's pokemon, but he never predicted the switch.
How is that dumb by the AI? It was going for the most effective move that was available to it, you were just exploiting that by switching. What do you expect the AI to do in that situation? Start predicting your volt switches? Sure it would be dumb if an IRL person was doing it but the AI doesn't have intuition. If you had volt switched into Cobalion and taken an earthquake or fighting move then that would have been a dumb move by the AI as it was aiming for Thundurus, but considered a good move if done by a person...

1) A Maison trainer ordering a Girafarig to A) use Baton Pass B) in a Rotation battle C) when it was the only mon left on its team....

2) Another Rotation battle. I have a Hawlucha on my team, and the AI's team is Scizor, Excadrill, Klinklang, and Umbreon. You can see where this is going, right? Sure enough, the AI decided to rotate out its one and only Pokemon not weak to Fighting to let its other three go down, in order, to a single HJK apiece, none of the three getting a chance to move.

3) Elite Four Karen in SoulSilver gets down to her Absol as her last remaining Pokemon. What move does she order it to use? Perish Song. "This is far from being backed into a corner!" indeed.

How is that dumb by the AI? It was going for the most effective move that was available to it, you were just exploiting that by switching. What do you expect the AI to do in that situation? Start predicting your volt switches? Sure it would be dumb if an IRL person was doing it but the AI doesn't have intuition. If you had volt switched into Cobalion and taken an earthquake or fighting move then that would have been a dumb move by the AI as it was aiming for Thundurus, but considered a good move if done by a person...
The problem was that I was using Volt Switch repeatedly, always between those two, and against all of his pokemon 100% of the time, which would be a pretty simple situation to code for when making AIs. If I had three or more pokemon that I was switching between, or if I had been choosing other moves sometimes and Volt Switch others, I could see it, but my Cobalion only used Volt Switch and only switched out to Thundurus, and it always was faster, yet Marshall usually had his pokemon use Earthquake or their Fighting STAB against Cobalion, and then Stone Edge against Thundurus.

This wasn't even intuition related. If I do something simple, like using a self-switching move and switching to the same pokemon, every time a certain pokemon on my team is up, the best AIs used in the game should recognize it after a few repeats and plan for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)